Why does everybody hate runescape?

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
I used to play it all the time, I was like addicted. I liked the grinding, didn't mind the crap graphics. I left the game for about two weeks and when I came back it was the shittyest thing ever.. I mean like really crap. So I'm going outside now and I haven't looked back... except for all the times I look back for about a day when I get nostalgic, remember it's crap and leave.

CheeseSandwichCake

May 23, 2009
IMO they've fucked it up totally in terms of the balance of members/non-members stuff.

They should, now that they're popular and are actually capable of putting ads everywhere, just put ads everywhere around the game screen. That way they'll make up the same quantity of cash they get from memberships thus meaning you can actually DO things in it.

I was bored enough one day and the non-members content is like 4 days long. FOUR DAYS LONG. I mean from bronze to runeplate, killing Elvarg and finishing every damn quest in the non-member game only took me FOUR FUCKING DAYS. The fact they lock off 3/4 of the world until you pay for content that's not even that great is astounding. They could make everything open to you and do what I said in the first paragraph and I might still be playing that game. It was a great game while I played it, I even got into the membership content a little.

Not only this but there's WAY too much grind, even for an MMO. It out-grinds WoW for Christ's sake and that is one hard almost impossible feat to accomplish with a game. About 3 days of the 4 days it takes to finish non-member (out of my total playtime that is) was me grinding my skills so I could actually use rune.

Of course I did reach level 65 non-members and I have full rune atm but the game's not good enough for me to come back to it unless I render myself MASSIVELY bored one day.

Graphics in it is another story however. They've recently done an update on it, the HD version actually looks HD compared to the SD version now. It's got 2002 graphics, which aren't that much of an eyesore.

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
Kevvers said:
Actually, in England we use -ise instead of -ize in most words. A little transatlantic pitfall for all you would be nitpickers.
D'oh! Got me there- I usually try to be sensitive to international variations, but I completely missed that one. In my defense, I did google 'realise' before I posted and was not able to find any source that listed it as an accepted spelling. Maybe if the OED didn't barricade itself behind a huge concrete paywall... ;)

Anyway, my point was not to nitpick, but to point out the folly of nitpicking, so I think we can probably agree on that point. :)

Kevvers said:
Also, runescape is a total gridfest filled with 10 year old jerks. Does not equal fun times.
You'll get no argument from me on that point. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who plays WoW or some other popular MMO on how those are any different, though.

C'mon guys- I really do want to know!

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
One word for you: Grind.

But that seems to be the way for all MMOs, so why should I complain?

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
TheRedLucario said:
Because there's no real fun in it. It's a crappy MMO that can easily be replaced with a better buyable game. A common argument to that is "But RuneScape is free." No, it isn't. I played it a long time ago, and couldn't shit without being a member. I mean, you have to be a member to climb over a fucking fence! The hell? Is he so retarded that he doesn't know how to climb over a three foot fence, and being a member is like going to school?
HEY! You have to pay for that kind of prime education.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
When I just begun it was kind if fun (reminded me of Age of Empires), but after a while it got really boring, because of all the skills which were required to do some questing, so you were forced to start grinding and I don't like grinding.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Kurokami said:
TheRedLucario said:
Because there's no real fun in it. It's a crappy MMO that can easily be replaced with a better buyable game. A common argument to that is "But RuneScape is free." No, it isn't. I played it a long time ago, and couldn't shit without being a member. I mean, you have to be a member to climb over a fucking fence! The hell? Is he so retarded that he doesn't know how to climb over a three foot fence, and being a member is like going to school?
HEY! You have to pay for that kind of prime education.
I know. God knows how much I had to pay to wipe my own ass. Let alone flush...

Talonhand

Jun 13, 2009
Crazzee said:
I don't hate it. Many people do.

It's a terribly made game that makes FAT STACKS OF CASH for absolutely nothing. It has bad gameplay, it looks horrible, and it's just generally not fun. This isn't something that should make money, I could make this sort of thing on my own.

People don't like it for these reasons, among other things. So unless someone wants to add other things for these to be among, this post should clear it up.

Also,
TheRedLucario said:
^That.
^ That in a nutshell

Mar 26, 2009
In my opinion, the combat was the worst thing about the game.

Step by step guide to Runescape combat:

1-Click on enemy.

2-Eat food when close to death.

3-Repeat phase one and two until *insert level/skill cap here*.

I mean even WoW requires atleast a miniscule amount of skill and intellect. Oh and the community is a bunch of five year olds with too much time on their hands, all of whom replace all nouns with the words "n00b", "n00bs" or "lol".

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
TaborMallory said:
Think of it this way:
The people who don't hate runescape are usually younger than the average gamer. Runescape is very simple and easy. Also, most of the members don't pay for it themselves anyway.

Now, I used to enjoy runescape, but that was when I was younger. That was before I had to pay for my own games; before I had a console or a good PC to play games on; before I discovered games like Oblivion and Halo.

Now that I'm older and have all these things, runescape is obsolete and no longer fun. Does this make sense?

Of course, this doesn't apply to everybody. I'm just speaking for (some) retired runescape players.
These are basically my feelings towards the game. Fun when I was young but now i have access to much better games.
=]

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
I don't hate the game, I hate the crowd that it, and most other free MMOs attract: 12 year olds and griefers, then again, those two groups tend to be the same people.

mmmmmonkey

Aug 20, 2008
Kevvers said:
dorm41baggins said:
delta4062 said:
You should'nt have to re-read your post to realise "worsted" isn't a word.
Sure it is- though I'll admit, I don't think he was talking about yarn [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worsted]. :) "Realise", on the other hand is not found in any dictionary I've ever seen. Tip- when playing the role of a grammar Nazi, at least spell check your own post- better yet, don't be a grammar Nazi.

Actually, in England we use -ise instead of -ize in most words. A little transatlantic pitfall for all you would be nitpickers.

Also, runescape is a total gridfest filled with 10 year old jerks. Does not equal fun times.
"Gridfest"??? ;)

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
How can you hate runescape? Thats like hating canada, theyre so harmless.
That's what they want you to think.

Conspiracy.That's what Canada is.No offense to any Canadian here.

Jun 13, 2009
I don't hate it at all. In fact it's a brilliant game for when you've completed every other game in your house and can't afford any new ones at the time. It's been something I played on and off for years when I ran out of other things to do.

I'd never pay for it when I had other games to complete, books to read and so on, but it's always a good fall back for when the only other option is staring at shiny things all day to entertain myself.

Ashryd

Apr 14, 2009
The real problem is that there are so many oher free MMOs out there now that are very high quality. Sure alot of them work on the Micro Transaction system but most of them don't gimp you in the slightest for not paying. It's usually some vanity items is all. Atlantica Online is a great example. You can pay money for extra stuff like mounts and what not. But you're still able to buy them off of people using in game money anyway. And you sill get a high quality game, good graphics and pretty revoloutionary gameplay.

Damn I sure made this seem like an advert for Atlantica Online. Though I really would encourage people to take a look at it. I can't think of any MMO that let's you take control of a team in a turn based game, let alone one you can play for free.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
TheRedLucario said:
no,because it takes agility,a member skill,to jump over almost anything.

nerd boy,awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!