Why does Rape exist?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ok this is a sensative issue I know, I know that rape is a very bad thing and I am in no way trying to downplay it

anyway I was just thinking, from mabye a natural or evolutionry pespective why does rape exist? has it got somthing to do with family bonds?

Mabye the definition of "rape" was very different in prehistoric times, do you supose it was still traumatic then?

I mean I know it can having somthing to do with asserting dominance, particually man on man

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
Some humans are a bit impatient. They see someone they would like to mate with. They do so. Without consent. It's kind of simple, really.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Rape is a crime of dominance.

For the most part, it has nothing to do with sex.

I'm surprised so many Escapist don't know that.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Rape is a crime of dominancebacon.

I fixed that for you :D

OT: Indeed. You summarized what I was gonna say, so, well, I guess I'll end my post now.

JdA

Nov 8, 2010
Impulse control problems.

Misguided or belligerent views on sexuality and gender.

Power control, oppression, humiliation...

Basically, the human mind can be a terrible place when it's not wired the right way, and that occasionally leads to stuff like rape. There's no real evolutionary reason it exists, its more a byproduct of human nature.

And I'm pretty sure its always been traumatic. Anytime someone exerts that type of dominance over another, and the dominated party is conscious of what's going on, it's going to scar.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
What the...?
I don't understand the question.
Are you asking why it is possible to forcibly aquirre something we are geneticly designed to want?
Cause if you are, that is a stupid question.

Aethin

Apr 15, 2009
AccursedTheory said:

That's a matter of opinion and only a single reason for rape. As mentioned above, people have sexual desires, some more than others and those of them that are impatient resort to rape.

Yet again, that's just one reason. It could even be spur of the moment.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
IT IS LIKE TALKING WITH OUT CONTROLLING THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE, OR GOING AROUND PUNCHING BABIES WHILE DRINKING ALL THE JUICE!!!!!!!

Dominance, lack of impulse control, and some people are just fUcKiNg CrAzy

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Aethin said:
AccursedTheory said:

That's a matter of opinion and only a single reason for rape. As mentioned above, people have sexual desires, some more than others and those of them that are impatient resort to rape.

Yet again, that's just one reason. It could even be spur of the moment.
Which is why I said for the most part.

However, rape not linked to dominance is extremely rare, and is usually attributed to things like date rape (The non-drug kind).

And that is not a matter of opinion. That's decades of evaluations of actual rapist.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Cause some people are just smart enough to put 2 (I'm bigger then that person, can overpower them) and 2 (they've got what I need and want to screw) together to make 4 (rape).

So yeah.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
AccursedTheory said:

Well, I'd say...wait, nope, nevermind. This guy beat me to it. It's really just about power, which I think makes the idea of rape worse than if it really was just about sex.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Rape is usually more about power than sex, it's to show dominance over someone else through sexual coercion. That's why normally straight men will force themselves on other men in prison, it's not sexual, just dominant. So asking "why do we still have rape?" is similar to asking "why do people still mug people and murder each other?" It's just bad people being bad...

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
There is a kind of rodent(I forget the name of the species) that once it reaches puberty, rapes all females he can until he dies of exhaustion. Oh and some kinds of ducks gang rape as well. So evolutionarily it exists. At least for animals that lack complex social groups.

It's not the norm for humans because we live in social groups and protect those that are close to us. I doubt prehistoric humans committed rape either. They were social too. It only happens if someone thinks they can get away with it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Humans have the desire to mate. Some humans don't learn the proper way to do that. Simple as.
Not even remotely the case. Rape really isn't about "mating" so much as it is power and dominance.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
AccursedTheory said:

Alot of people in general don't seem to know that.

You could argue that alot of it was because the perpetrator has a strange idea of what constitutes rape, and feels within their rights to do it...until fairly recently, it wasn't rape if it was between a man and his wife, for example, and acquaintance rape in general is often not seen as being rape.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Easy, rape is trying to be "the dominant one". It worked a bit better for actual dominance when we were still using the lower-sections of our brains; we look down on it now, with the top halves working more and thus, it is a crime.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
quantumsoul said:
There is a kind of rodent(I forget the name of the species) that once it reaches puberty, rapes all females he can until he dies of exhaustion. Oh and some kinds of ducks gang rape as well. So evolutionarily it exists. At least for animals that lack complex social groups.

It's not the norm for humans because we live in social groups and protect those that are close to us. I doubt prehistoric humans committed rape either. They were social too. It only happens if someone thinks they can get away with it.

Most rapes are caused by those close to the victim.
Its a matter of people not having self control.
Also, it really pisses me off when people joke about it. So many people are raped, I know two people, as yet others think its okay to just use it as a joke.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Why does racism exist?
Why does murder exist?

Only the rapists, racists, murderers understand their logic and they can't articulate their form of logic in any way other than doing.