Why Does the World Think so Poorly of Teenagers?

roboosh

May 8, 2008
sleeperhit79 said:
wait till you're older and you'll realize just how accurate that stereotype is. Bottom line I'm 30 now and i can remember just how stupid I was when I was a teenager, most of you will come to the same conclusion.
Listen to the wise man!! (no sarcasm intended)

RoThgar

Mar 9, 2008
because, teens, no matter how mature, just dont quite understand fully. Having been there myself, what I know now, and what I thought I knew when i was a teen are not totally different, but i was certainly lacking in something. That something is experience, which only getting older can help you out with.

I remember one occasion when our director of 6th form told us in a 6th form assembly that we had no morals because we knew nothing about it. which at the time enraged me. Now, i can see where she was coming from, while I did have strong morals, they were not complete without some degree of world experience. But it will be the same for any generation, it will always be the case that teens are considered to be the inbetweeners not youth, not grown-up either.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
A mixture of media attention, their being a different generation, plain ignorance on both parts and the media targeted at them. Only the crazies are going to get all over the news, many adults are ignorant because of bad experiences and said media coverage, and the music and movies targeted at them is mindpoison. If Jonas Brothers, Twilight, rap, and Miley Cyrus are that popular, what do you expect people to think about them?

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Mainly because the lack life experiance, and the general image of teenagers is pretty bad these days you must admit. Thats and general stupidity but thats a problem thats lifelong in people it seems, gets alittle better the older you get but i still get looks like im trouble from older people passing me by its rather annoying.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Danny Ocean said:
jboking said:
Also, I have noticed that my kind tend to think they can talk about things they don't understand and still be right. Namely politics, especially around election time(probably because it is their first chance to vote).
Oh please, everyone does that, age has little effect on ignorance.
Didn't say adults didn't do it as well.However, Adults do have a certain level of experience with past administrations. So at the least they can cite something that happened in a pervious election. Teenagers don't really have that opportuinity, as such, their ignorance becomes more obvious.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Ya know, I can see what my guitar teacher meant when he said " Stupidity rules the world" the answer to your question is people usually become idiots at their teenage years

lanydx

Feb 7, 2009
Because some Teens ruin our rep. Aduits use the "You don't know anything." card. They never think teens can be rigth aobut anything and their always better then us. It's Ageism I tell ya.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
Because there are a handful of teenagers who re-enforce the sterotype and ruin it for everyone else.
Some of my dumbass friends got the cops called on them because they were shooting flaming arrows in their back yard

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Voicuboyy said:
jboking said:
Voicuboyy said:
because they are a bunch of ignorant little whores
ssgt splatter said:
Because there are a handful of teenagers who re-enforce the sterotype and ruin it for everyone else.
A combination of these two essentially. A handful of teenagers are a bunch of ignorant little whores. Also, I have noticed that my kind tend to think they can talk about things they don't understand and still be right. Namely politics, especially around election time(probably because it is their first chance to vote).
yes and you forgot about religion, they all try to prove a good point, but if you listen closely you know they never read anything about they're current debate...
Often at my school I find the religion problem with very vocal atheists in the anti-social clic. They feel so confident in saying, "Religion is bad" but few of them can say why. The odd thing is, it is a fairly simple assertion to support. You could say any of the token attacks(the crusaids, Gay rights,etc.), however, they can't say why. It tells me that one of two things are happening in that situation. 1) They are just trying to find themselves or 2) They are trying to look cool.

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
Clashero said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:
Always has, always will. Because teenagers are different(/i)

...Oh I love using italics now I know how

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

Calobi said:
Twilight_guy said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

[small]SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]SPOILER'D SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]HYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]
BOOYAH!! What do I win?

On Topic: I blame the internet.

l33ticarus

Aug 20, 2008
I have no idea... Maybe because we have the most problems going on... Education and such... I am mad because Being a teenage writer it is hard to get any of your stuff looked at because your a teenager... Its like being black... Wait no I take that blac-BACK... Anyway... Yeah I hate people that dont understand that teenagers can be smarter than most adults ... Thats why Im looked down upon at my school... Im smarter than the teachers and they know it...

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Meta Like That said:
Clashero said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

Calobi said:
Twilight_guy said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

[small]SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]SPOILER'D SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]HYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]
BOOYAH!! What do I win?

On Topic: I blame the internet.
WRONG
WRONG AGAIN
[small]HYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D AND YOU FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]

whoops1995

Aug 12, 2008
I realized I havn't stated my personal opinion yet. I think it's elitism. No matter who you are or what group you are, you'll still think you're better than someone else and really it's just human nature. So adults see themselves as better than kids. They've just entered this game of life and now who they think they are acting like hot shit doing what they want and really not giving a damn what others think (this is an adults view on kids not mine). It's like a new kid in school, no one knows him so they don't want anything to do with him. They leave him out of conversations, they belittle him, and treat him like an outcast. Teenagers are the new kids of life. Sure that new kid might have something interesting to say and maybe you'll find you might like him, but there's the chance he's a wierdo and that's why you're uneasy about him. Of course this is foolish, but it's human nature. I don;t think adults are suspicious of teenagers for any malicious reason. The only thing a us teens can do is just try to prove were good people and not be that wierd new kid that ruins it for everyone.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Also I'm 35 and the whole 'exams are easier' thing pisses me off.

Our teenagers are getting some of the best results ever and we can't be happy about it, we have to look for some negative reason why and how it could happen, and I think when they compare questions, a lot of the time its not a case of easy or hard, but more a case of what a 50s or 70s kid would know about, and what a current day would know, its at least partly down to what the curriculum is and what they're taught.