Why Does the World Think so Poorly of Teenagers?

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
Its been said before.. the weariness of the teens has always been around and always has, and always will...

It's hard to explain exactly what it is.. but trust me Teens of the escapist... you start hitting the 20's and 30's your going to start seeing it to.

Alot of it I think stems from the...at times comical mixture of maturity, and immaturity rolled into one ball. Teens tend to lack a wide sense of mindfulness to their actions/reactions ( or sometimes take that mindfulness of the world, and overextend it to points) that the average teen still has alot of chemical imbalances on the brain " which dies down by late teens, but wont be over with for a few more years) leads them to act, or think irrationally... as in doing something utterly stupid and dangerous is" fine" but god forbid someone rock the " status" boat and they can go into hysterics...

it's only a few ideas, the reasons can be numerous person to person...
but again... it's always been like that, and wont change....no matter how grown up we like to think we are as a teen....we are still just juveniles of the species.. even watching other mammalian species shows that their own " teens" are only tolerated to a point by the adults of the species as far as their antics go.... so in that sense it's not even just a human thing.

Hexadecimal

Apr 16, 2009
Clashero said:
Meta Like That said:
Clashero said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:
Always has, always will. Because teenagers are different(/i)

...Oh I love using italics now I know how

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

Calobi said:
Twilight_guy said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

[small]SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]SPOILER'D SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]HYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]
BOOYAH!! What do I win?

On Topic: I blame the internet.
WRONG
WRONG AGAIN
[small]RAINBOHYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D AND YOU FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]

I win.

What's odd is that I know a great deal of teens that admire House a hundred times more than Hannah Montana. I mean, the oldest age group I've seen that admires Hannah Montana over here are the 14-year-olds.

Teenagers that declare themselves fully-fledged atheists piss me off, however.

Aug 13, 2008
whoops1995 said:
When I say poorly I don't mean that the world thinks that every kid in the world is going to vandalize their houses and steal, but people seem to think that kids are retarded. An example of this is the Disney channel, it's aimed towards kids my age (mostly girls, but still) and the shows on that channel are so unfunny and stupid it insults my inteligence to even see a photo of miley cyrus. So why is it she's so popular? Are girls my age really that stupid? are these stupid girls going to awesome in college? Another example of this relentless bombardment of idiocracy, is Fred from youtube. None of his jokes are funny and he has never made me compelled to watch anything he puts up. So why is he so popular? Is his popularity an indication of the inteligence of my generation? Lastly, why does the world group all kids my age into this group?
how old are you?
disney channel's aimed at 13 yr olds max. (and the one's that are mentally challenged/have super conservative parents) and that barely even qualifies as being a teenager
dont know about fred though

im a teenager and i find that people expect me to be quite clever and often have interesting little chats with complete strangers
at night, it's a different story ill admit

every cop assumes you to be a drunk pothead about to buy mdma (the truth in the matter is irrelevant) and is just begging for a reason to arrest you
and random passerbys avoid you and occasioally give you dodgy looks as if implying "what has he done with life?"

but teenagers arent really thought poorly of, they're just easy to blame for all of the world's problems and there's small truth in their assumptions

INSERT-NAME-HERE

Apr 18, 2009
Hexadecimal said:
Clashero said:
Meta Like That said:
Clashero said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

Calobi said:
Twilight_guy said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Calobi said:
nathan-dts said:
Optimus Prime said:

BOLD ITALIC

Boltalic

UNDERBOLTALIC

STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC

[small]SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]SPOILER'D SMALL COLOR STRIKEUNDERBOLTALIC[/small]

[small]HYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]
BOOYAH!! What do I win?

On Topic: I blame the internet.
WRONG
WRONG AGAIN
[small]RAINBOHYPERSPOISMACOLOSTRUNDERBOLTALIC'D AND YOU FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT[/small] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau]

I win.

What's odd is that I know a great deal of teens that admire House a hundred times more than Hannah Montana. I mean, the oldest age group I've seen that admires Hannah Montana over here are the 14-year-olds.

Teenagers that declare themselves fully-fledged atheists piss me off, however.

I find that a bit unfair.
I am a teenager and am a complete atheist, it is just illogical to me that religion should exist.
if I came up to yo in the streen and said there was a guy in the sky that watches you and cares about your problems and can make people come back from the dead, you would try and put me in a mental home.
but someone says the magic words: god, or Jesus, and it is fine
(plus the idea that there is a hell beneath the earth when it is proven to be liquid/solid is silly and that life couldnt exist in that heat, and that we have been into space and therefore proved there is no heaven is just idiotic.)

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
rainman2203 said:
Lack of experience + increase in responsibility + hormones + establishing self identity + ignorant popular culture + trying to get some = teenagers sometimes making bad decisions.

The learning curve of life picks up pretty quickly after 16 or so, so to me its not surprising that we all make bad calls during our teenage years. Its how you deal with it that helps you become a contributing (or not) member of society. Of course I've been only been not a teenager for 3 months, so wtf do I know? *looks down nose at teenagers*

But I agree- the world would be better if Nickelodeon's and Disney's teen shows were destroyed.

With Fire.
I agree rainman2203 mostly...especially the "equation" (first part)
As for the ignorant popular culture aspect, yes that's safe to say, considering most people are idiots anyways.

Nickelodeon's and Disney's teen shows should be purged with fire multiple times.
Then scorch the earth and salt it...(It might come back to life otherwise.)
Also, it doesn't matter if you have cable, satellite TV there is usually almost nothing even remotely worthwhile or interesting on TV, ever.

As for it being "the World" thinking so poorly of teenagers, I think you maybe being a bit overzealous in your convictions.
It isn't the world just your small piece of it that you see.
Or more accurately everyone in the world doesn't have something against teenagers.
Many people may have said problem, but really why are you listening so carefully...most people are idiots.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Charli said:
ssgt splatter said:
Because there are a handful of teenagers who re-enforce the sterotype and ruin it for everyone else.
Doesn't get a whole lot more underlined than that... Yep I'd say thats the big crunchy center in a nutshell.

I was so un-teenstereotype it hurt, probably why as an adult I feel alot more comfortable with myself. As a teenager I actually knew how to have an independant mindset (I mean it in the proper sense of being independant, not those stupid 'Man I'm a rebal teen Yeeah' Idiots, I actually knew what I liked and who I wanted to be.) and god knows what normal teen can do that? My goodness I /didn't/ own like 3 types of cellphone throughout highschool with customizable junk attached to it? I didn't have an ipod? I didn't like going out to get drunk at stupid peoples houses or have any interest in the opposite sex? I enjoyed reading more!!! My I must be a freak.
(When in actual fact my teenage years seem now like a big blur of hilarious bullshit)
I'm human, I got emotional over silly things due to out of whack hormones, I went to a few rock concerts with friends, and I certainly have never not been drunk underage...but it was always with good reason, a birthday and in a controlled environment, not at some douche bags house whoms parents have left alone and I don't even know.

I dunno, I don't understand why teens feel the need to latch onto each other... my parents made it perfectly clear they'd been through the same crazy shit as a teen and it was perfectly okay to do silly things with a limit, and it made me think, well hell, humans have done this particular dance since the dawn of time, the older generations aren't going to be aliens about it or anything... This whole mindset that teens have 'No one understands me! I'm a unique crying little whinybaby all alone in the world' actually makes me sympathize with the older generations... We WANT to actually slap them or talk like a baby to them because the majority of them deserve that kind of treatment for being so self centered.

I was certainly not exempt from this kind of idiotic behaviour but I won't pander to it, because no one should.

If you are one of the unique special children of the new-age whom is aware the world doesn't revolve around you and your small time problems then go out there and do somthing awesome because everyone else in your age group will be too busy being an awkward self absorbed social douche. And you've got some time to get a leg over em'.
This post is roughly the equivalent of me looking into a metaphorical mirror of my own life. Never drank, no iPod, don't care about the latest cell phone or Pop artist, love to read books; I think I've found my döppelganger.

Also, the actions of other people my age (late high school) either amuse or depress me, depending on the phase of the moon and tea leaves. The way that they find trivial things terribly important and terribly important things trivial makes me wonder if they are consciously aware of their actions or are just acting in line with teenage stereotypes by rote. Also, they're terribly closed minded about things that they don't understand, simply calling them "gay" or just laughing at the idea of them. I try to keep a bit of a more open mind.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
Voicuboyy said:
i actually read the bible and it didn't convince me
I am have not read any of it,but I heard the first part has alot of incest sex,I am have independent believes on religion so I try to study some of each and don't plan on reading the main text of each one,so I haven't looked into this.

And on a thread base,I hate most teenagers(which I am one also) all the main reasons have been stated but in my town religion is a bigger reason than others,there are few atheist but mainly ill-informed brainwashed Christians,I ever remember my earlist clash with religion when I was 8 or so,The teacher told us that Christianity was one true religion and all the other were lying(I am not blunting that up,breifing it,but those words are nothing short of what she said)I agrued "But thats what they would say about their religion" to which she repiled "Yes,But we are right".

I hate small irish towns.

Also all the teenagers I know treat South park like the bible,in class there are constantly offensive remarks made on Jewish people(I don't blame south park as much,just the fact majority of the teenagers I know seem to be like parrots,they repeat what they hear,but in this case even deem it acceptable) and this as a matter of fact has stop me using the word "Jew" because of its insulting tone I am used to hearing it in.Its not just people of a Jewish fate,also Islam or it the basic,offensive term most would use "Pakkis" but that can also apply to anywhere from Africa to eastern Asia,but jewish insults and comments are much more common.

It so happens it is holocaust remembrance day today(21st of Apirl this year) so spare a thought,I doubt anyone out of the teenagers I know will.

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
ph3onix said:
ssgt splatter said:
Because there are a handful of teenagers who re-enforce the sterotype and ruin it for everyone else.
Yeah, I hate those idiots.
This exact reason.
I really hate being a teenager, especially being on Xbox Live. I'm more mature than most people my age (sounding) that I meet on there. People assume I hate my parents, I'm lazy, and I'm a douche. entirely untrue.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Is it just me or do schools treat students as the enemy? my school got electronic locks on all the doors and if we dont have a pass in the hall it is like we shot someone the way they react.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
Most "teen show" are for 10-13 years old. Disney is for little kids. The fact that they can't make a good teen show is that we (14-17 years old) know more, and find things funny that can't be on nick or Disney. Sponge bob will never creak a joke about getting laid, pot, someone failing epically, or anything like that. Although it be hilarious, the show would never air. In America, if your 14+ try the Simpson, family guy, etc. They are more for us. Also remember that America likes to keep things "family friendly", Japan is not like that and have better stuff for us. A non Americanized anime could be really good for you. Try manga scans at onemanga.com, try reading Negima and see if its better then a overly popularized (by spoiled little girls) Disney show.

I'm, by the way, 16 years old. The link to the manga I mention is here: http://www.onemanga.com/Mahou_Sensei_Negima!/

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
That's easy. Cause parents wanted to do everything to stop us from growing up, having sex ect. They wanted us to stay young, sheltered and all... so we have to stumbled to adulthood make mistakes that could have been avoided. And while they tried to force us to remain children or only be football heroes or cheerleader (for the girls) You grew up either remaining stunted or becoming a man on your daddy or mommy terms.

So if your different, your a freak and a failure but if your a stud/proper your a success. Look at Disney and High School musical, Stick to what you know song, cliques are shoved down your throat so strongly it isn't even funny. Do not be yourself... your not smart enough, and know what... as different and rebellious as your folks were...they weren't smart enough either.

And as much as they needed their folks to be smart enough to suck it up and teach them about sex, growing up and what they needed to be mistakes, they weren't brave enough to show enough balls (or female version of) to suck it up and just do whats right and tell their kids what they really needed. Those who don't learn history doomed to repeat it and all. So teens of today... when ya have a kid and they grow up... do what I did... when my daughter turned 12 I showed her a live birth, with a woman screaming her head off... "Here ya go honey, THAT is what happens when you have unprotected sex...welcome to the real world."

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
Its a similar reason as to why many people still think muslim = terrorist.

Because a small percentage of them act badly, and bad news makes for easy press coverage, and people still sadly do believe a lot of what they read in the papers and see on TV.

While I don't dislike teenagers, I do have zero respect for chavs however, as I don't recall ever meeting one that showed any respect to people around him or even the space around him.

Most teenagers however are fine, just living their lives and not causing trouble.

My argument against chavs, is, if you don't wish to be associated with troublemaking rude, violent thugs, why are you dressing in their uniform?

Of course this comes from limited personal experience, negative experiences that is, and a neutral positive experience of teenagers who don't feel the need to wear half the Argos jewellery counter and a baseball cap.

What's even damn funnier is teenagers still try and pretend 30 somethings are afraid of them.

I'm 34, when I was a teen my dad grew up with Elvis, the Beattles and Howdie Doodie. I grew up with Nintendo and Metallica. You know what my kids grew up with... Nintendo and Metallica... yeah...big difference.

Never did my father tell me how "Hardcore" his bands were than mine. Yet my days of looking at my nephew and telling him Iron Maiden would have chew Lincoln Park up and spit them out in a Mosh Pit any day...

I lived my life, I raised my kid right, I went to college, I went to war in the US Navy Submarines, I kept myself. And as the years went on I continued to remain the person I saw myself to always be. I kept the same mind set as a teen. My honor, my own image, (well out of the military my hair is back) and honestly the hommie look is made by corparate adults to sell clothing... your not a rebel if your conform to nonconformailty and look like everyone else. And just cause I hit 30 doesn't mean I have to build ships in a bottle. I have a fairly good job, I get the better toys... I have more damn fun. Bout the same person I was as a teen just hate certain things more cause I see them for the "You like this cause it's what all the cool people like, corp focus group crap" and I hate the people who became cubical zombies to meld into what their parents were.

Gonna be a teen understand this, people judge. And so do you.
Respect is earned and not given. You destroy some kids play ground. Expect to get you face bashed in and thrown in jail. Bling bling retard rappers? They're fakers. They not from a Getto, Mommy and Daddy bought them a 20k record deal. The only strife they have is coming up with ryhming words. And when their Publishing agent hands them a gun and tells them to get arrested at X nightclub at X time to sell more records. Notice Snoop Dogg is like clockwork.
Pro Wrestlers have more strife and are better actors than rappers. Better fighters to.

Nothing wrong with Teens, nothing wrong with adults.

Unless you LIE to yourself on who you really are and are just sucking down a image someone else handed to you.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Unfortunately, due to my experiences with todays teens I really don't have anything good to say. Too many have lack of respect for themselves and others.

Hexadecimal

Apr 16, 2009
INSERT-NAME-HERE said:
I find that a bit unfair.
I am a teenager and am a complete atheist, it is just illogical to me that religion should exist.
if I came up to yo in the streen and said there was a guy in the sky that watches you and cares about your problems and can make people come back from the dead, you would try and put me in a mental home.
but someone says the magic words: god, or Jesus, and it is fine
(plus the idea that there is a hell beneath the earth when it is proven to be liquid/solid is silly and that life couldnt exist in that heat, and that we have been into space and therefore proved there is no heaven is just idiotic.)
The thing is, most teenagers I've seen declare themselves atheists after figuring out that thanks to religion, they aren't allowed to drink or have sex before marriage or whatnot.
Also, to respond to your "we've explored space and we haven't found any pearly gates or bearded men telling us that we've found salvation so ner ner ner", that can easily be countered by the fact that we haven't explored the universe completely. Then again, that can be countered by... Okay, I'll stop now.
I'm not religious, in all honesty, but I can't declare myself a fully-fledged atheist because I'm sure I don't know enough about the subject nor do I have the experience to solidly base my opinions on as a sixteen year old who's only finishing high school next year.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Adults generally don't like teenagers because they can't relate. They attempt to compare what teenagers should and shouldn't be doing with their own (and probably distorted) memories of their teenage years. Most (not all though) adults just don't seem to be able to comprehend that being a teenager now is different than being a teenager then, so they dislike us.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
Carlston said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Its a similar reason as to why many people still think muslim = terrorist.

Because a small percentage of them act badly, and bad news makes for easy press coverage, and people still sadly do believe a lot of what they read in the papers and see on TV.

While I don't dislike teenagers, I do have zero respect for chavs however, as I don't recall ever meeting one that showed any respect to people around him or even the space around him.

Most teenagers however are fine, just living their lives and not causing trouble.

My argument against chavs, is, if you don't wish to be associated with troublemaking rude, violent thugs, why are you dressing in their uniform?

Of course this comes from limited personal experience, negative experiences that is, and a neutral positive experience of teenagers who don't feel the need to wear half the Argos jewellery counter and a baseball cap.
You would be one of the adults who does understand, thanks for not stereotyping.

What's even damn funnier is teenagers still try and pretend 30 somethings are afraid of them.

I'm 34, when I was a teen my dad grew up with Elvis, the Beattles and Howdie Doodie. I grew up with Nintendo and Metallica. You know what my kids grew up with... Nintendo and Metallica... yeah...big difference.

Never did my father tell me how "Hardcore" his bands were than mine. Yet my days of looking at my nephew and telling him Iron Maiden would have chew Lincoln Park up and spit them out in a Mosh Pit any day...

I lived my life, I raised my kid right, I went to college, I went to war in the US Navy Submarines, I kept myself. And as the years went on I continued to remain the person I saw myself to always be. I kept the same mind set as a teen. My honor, my own image, (well out of the military my hair is back) and honestly the hommie look is made by corparate adults to sell clothing... your not a rebel if your conform to nonconformailty and look like everyone else. And just cause I hit 30 doesn't mean I have to build ships in a bottle. I have a fairly good job, I get the better toys... I have more damn fun. Bout the same person I was as a teen just hate certain things more cause I see them for the "You like this cause it's what all the cool people like, corp focus group crap" and I hate the people who became cubical zombies to meld into what their parents were.

Gonna be a teen understand this, people judge. And so do you.
Respect is earned and not given. You destroy some kids play ground. Expect to get you face bashed in and thrown in jail. Bling bling retard rappers? They're fakers. They not from a Getto, Mommy and Daddy bought them a 20k record deal. The only strife they have is coming up with ryhming words. And when their Publishing agent hands them a gun and tells them to get arrested at X nightclub at X time to sell more records. Notice Snoop Dogg is like clockwork.
Pro Wrestlers have more strife and are better actors than rappers. Better fighters to.

Nothing wrong with Teens, nothing wrong with adults.

Unless you LIE to yourself on who you really are and are just sucking down a image someone else handed to you.