Why does Titanfall require 50GB of space?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Now I know EA is famous for their inability to keep things efficient (Origin being much larger then Steam while having less features being a perfect example), but seriously, 50GB of free space for Titanfall? Is that a record? I can't remember ever getting a game that reached the 35GB mark, and apart from Total War the only ones to pass the 25GB mark I know of where MMOs or multiplayer oriented games which had been out for years with much more content then a few maps and textures.

So for my tech savvy fellow escapists, can someone explain to me what the hell happened?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
[HEADING=2]HOLY F*CK.[/HEADING]

Fifty gigabytes? That's not even funny. Origin takes damn near an ice age to download files, I shudder to think how long it would take to download 50GB of data...probably a week or more. I seriously hope that isn't some sort of disk-locked content.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Isn't it one of those things where it tells you it needs more space than it does.(like 90% of pc game recommended requirements) That said welcome to actual HD textures lol games take up actual space when you don't compress everything to hell. IE max payne 15gb for 360 vs 35+ for pc.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
It's weird that they'd do it like this, but then again I've seen this sort of thing with updates to Valve's games on Steam (400MB update, total downloaded: 100MB)
It's likely because you are getting archived data, so the transfer does not measure the actual data you will get on the disk. Also, I don't know if they account for how exactly the data occupies the disk[footnote]you will notice that usually files will have two sizes listed - one "normal" and one "actual" - it is because of how drives store data. For certain files you will get a noticeable discrepancy between the two, however most of the time they should be pretty close.[/footnote] but what also could happen is some resources get generated post download thus you may need to download, say, X amount of data but that then expands to 5 times X.

All in all, it's not really that weird that the download and the actual disk requirements differ. Not to mention that often times I've seen games not actually need as much space as they initially claimed.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
This is going to be one of the few occasions where I am going to buy the retail version of the game. Works out cheaper than buying from Origin too.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I think this is why I feel myself pulling away from PC gaming. The push for digital and huge amounts of data in an age where people still have caps along with other issues.

Sep 14, 2009
Get_A_Grip_ said:
This is going to be one of the few occasions where I am going to buy the retail version of the game. Works out cheaper than buying from Origin too.
curious, where are you getting it and for how cheap? A friend of mine was asking where to get it for cheapest and I recommended a website for him for 47 bucks but if it's cheaper elsewhere I'd like to tell him.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That's my entire month's cap.

If this is digital distribution of the future, I don't want it anymore...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
lacktheknack said:

The problem isn't downloads getting bigger (that's almost inevitable). The problem is ISP's that still think it's acceptable to give people download caps when how much you download has no actual impact on the ISP's cost. Download caps are a scam.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vivi22 said:
lacktheknack said:

The problem isn't downloads getting bigger (that's almost inevitable). The problem is ISP's that still think it's acceptable to give people download caps when how much you download has no actual impact on the ISP's cost. Download caps are a scam.
And yet here I am.

It's all well and good to say that I'm being scammed, but at the end of the day, I refuse to buy Titanfall if it's that large, and it really didn't have to be (there's no way a beta will be 10 GB and the full thing will be 5 times that size).

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
lacktheknack said:

The problem is not the size of the download, the problem is you live in an internet third world country :)

Edit. But to add, EA is still at fault here, audio language packs not being optional for digital download is an idiotic practice and a total waste of bandwidth.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Dead Century said:
I think this is why I feel myself pulling away from PC gaming. The push for digital and huge amounts of data in an age where people still have caps along with other issues.
Isn't it just as bad on consoles, though? They seem to be pushing for us to move to a digital distribution only environment.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Shouldn't it just download the audio for the region/country and not the entire damn set of language packs?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Dead Century said:
Isn't it just as bad on consoles, though? They seem to be pushing for us to move to a digital distribution only environment.
Nah not really. You're correct, there is a push, but nowhere near what PC does. As an example, say I pick up Fallout New Vegas for PS3, I can pop that sucker in, ignore updates, and carry on. If I pick it up for PC, I'm waiting on a mandatory update on Steam, after a disc installation just to play a single-player game.

Consoles are still very retail and disc orientated.

That said, digital content on PC goes on sale far more often and at greater discounted prices than consoles.

You can visibly see it when you walk into an electronics store and go to look at the PC section, it's shuffled off in the corner, with a meager selection of titles, while the console games sit out front in large displays behind glass and so on.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Unfortunately I think most games are going to be this size now, for two disk games near the end of the last generation could take up to 20 gigabytes to download. I remember with Call of Duty Ghosts there were comments about how it took 40 gigabytes of hard disk space.

If it is because of multiple languages someone needs to be told about optional content.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Dead Century said:
Nah not really. You're correct, there is a push, but nowhere near what PC does. As an example, say I pick up Fallout New Vegas for PS3, I can pop that sucker in, ignore updates, and carry on. If I pick it up for PC, I'm waiting on a mandatory update on Steam, after a disc installation just to play a single-player game.
I'm fairly sure this is not true, updates for single player games start automatically but are optional. For multiplayer you have to have the game up to date though, obviously.