Why does Titanfall require 50GB of space?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Dead Century said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Dead Century said:
I think this is why I feel myself pulling away from PC gaming. The push for digital and huge amounts of data in an age where people still have caps along with other issues.
Isn't it just as bad on consoles, though? They seem to be pushing for us to move to a digital distribution only environment.
Nah not really. You're correct, there is a push, but nowhere near what PC does. As an example, say I pick up Fallout New Vegas for PS3, I can pop that sucker in, ignore updates, and carry on. If I pick it up for PC, I'm waiting on a mandatory update on Steam, after a disc installation just to play a single-player game.

Consoles are still very retail and disc orientated.

That said, digital content on PC goes on sale far more often and at greater discounted prices than consoles.
I meant when it comes to digital downloads, but I suppose it does also happen to physical copies. Then again, ignoring updates usually mean you have a buggy game, and there aren't as many on consoles as there are on PC, so it wouldn't be that long of a wait. And I'm not sure how it works for the PS4 and the Xbone now, since I heard you need to wait for updates and such.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
And you know why is this even a thing? Because Origin doesn't have a bloody language change feature that Steam had for years. ELECTRONIC ARTS: CHALLENGE EVERYTHING (inluding common sense).

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Zac Jovanovic said:
Dead Century said:
Nah not really. You're correct, there is a push, but nowhere near what PC does. As an example, say I pick up Fallout New Vegas for PS3, I can pop that sucker in, ignore updates, and carry on. If I pick it up for PC, I'm waiting on a mandatory update on Steam, after a disc installation just to play a single-player game.
I'm fairly sure this is not true, updates for single player games start automatically but are optional. For multiplayer you have to have the game up to date though, obviously.
No, it is. Go pick up a retail steam game. You must patch in order to play. Updates are only optional after that.
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Dead Century said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Dead Century said:
I think this is why I feel myself pulling away from PC gaming. The push for digital and huge amounts of data in an age where people still have caps along with other issues.
Isn't it just as bad on consoles, though? They seem to be pushing for us to move to a digital distribution only environment.

Consoles are still very retail and disc orientated.

That said, digital content on PC goes on sale far more often and at greater discounted prices than consoles.
I meant when it comes to digital downloads, but I suppose it does also happen to physical copies. Then again, ignoring updates usually mean you have a buggy game, and there aren't as many on consoles as there are on PC, so it wouldn't be that long of a wait. And I'm not sure how it works for the PS4 and the Xbone now, since I heard you need to wait for updates and such.
Oh yeah, the updates usually don't take that long. As for full-on digital downloads, you might as well get a disc if you can, unless it's a digital-only release. Not much different than PC. Except selection for PC retail is pretty bad most places. Retailers know that digital does better for that platform. So they focus on consoles.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It's quite insane when developers don't bother to compress their files.

I have quite decent download speed, but regardless of that it takes a while to download 50GB so I decided to get the physical version instead with only installing + a patch being required to play the game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
lacktheknack said:
That's my entire month's cap.

If this is digital distribution of the future, I don't want it anymore...
Well if you buy the physical copy I don't think the patch that will need to be downloaded will take that much.

It seems that is your only option.

captcha: And that's the way it is...unfortunately yes captcha.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Origin should give you the choice to select the languages you actually want instead of just downloading them all. In Steam it seems to be that way, at least. When I change the language of a game it often have to download the language files for that language.
It means if I want to switch I might have to wait a little but just downloading all of them just front-loads all of the waiting into the initial download, making the complete download time much longer than actually needed.

@ the people saying stuff like "get better internet": This is BS. You simply can't expect everyone on the planet to have the same access to internet connection someone in major American cities has. Data caps and slower speeds are the norm in many countries.
Of course service providers should improve their data plans and infrastructure but this doesn't change anything about the fact that it shouldn't download unnecessary files in the first place.

I'm on a reasonably fast and uncapped connection myself but I wouldn't want to wait twice as long for my download just because EA thinks everyone needs to have all the language packs.

Apr 5, 2008
Vivi22 said:
lacktheknack said:

The problem isn't downloads getting bigger (that's almost inevitable). The problem is ISP's that still think it's acceptable to give people download caps when how much you download has no actual impact on the ISP's cost. Download caps are a scam.
Actually that's a consummate untruth. Bandwidth does cost money and even bought in bulk wholesale it still has a cost to the ISP. There is little to no cost of intra-network communications, but on the Internet and in particular, when data travels trans-atlantic (or trans-any body of water), it costs even more.

I loathe caps with a passion and actually pay quite a lot for my ISPs top (ie. fastest and uncapped) service compared to many other available offerings. But the business model is to buy bandwidth at wholesale prices from people who own the various interlinks, and resell that to many people at retail prices. There are, I'm sure, plenty of statistics for "average" usage and that is used to calculate the best "package" deal for the majority of customers, trading speed, download limit and cost against each other. If a customer uses more than the "fair" (a word whose definition is debatable) allocation, it does cost the ISP more money since they didn't budget it into the cost of that package.

To say how much one downloads has no impact on an ISP's cost is patently untrue. Bandwidth is not free; it's a limited resource with many people competing for it. The only way it would be "free" is for a person to build their own fibre-links to whichever servers they wish to access.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
KingsGambit said:
Vivi22 said:
lacktheknack said:

The problem isn't downloads getting bigger (that's almost inevitable). The problem is ISP's that still think it's acceptable to give people download caps when how much you download has no actual impact on the ISP's cost. Download caps are a scam.
Actually that's a consummate untruth. Bandwidth does cost money and even bought in bulk wholesale it still has a cost to the ISP. There is little to no cost of intra-network communications, but on the Internet and in particular, when data travels trans-atlantic (or trans-any body of water), it costs even more.

I loathe caps with a passion and actually pay quite a lot for my ISPs top (ie. fastest and uncapped) service compared to many other available offerings. But the business model is to buy bandwidth at wholesale prices from people who own the various interlinks, and resell that to many people at retail prices. There are, I'm sure, plenty of statistics for "average" usage and that is used to calculate the best "package" deal for the majority of customers, trading speed, download limit and cost against each other. If a customer uses more than the "fair" (a word whose definition is debatable) allocation, it does cost the ISP more money since they didn't budget it into the cost of that package.

To say how much one downloads has no impact on an ISP's cost is patently untrue. Bandwidth is not free; it's a limited resource with many people competing for it. The only way it would be "free" is for a person to build their own fibre-links to whichever servers they wish to access.
While there are some exceptions (Australia gets boned here) the majority of tier 1 fiber remains completely unused.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
could be a typo or it might not be a 50gb install , it might just need that much space while installing, during the phase it ha the compressed and uncompressed files all at once.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I have absolutely no idea why this is the case, maybe it's a "keep this much available for dlc" requirement, you know, just in case they make 20 map packs.
I imagine it doesn't have much in the way of pre rendered video, there's voice acting but there's no single player so the script isn't going to be huge, the textures arn't that high res... i literally have no fudging idea.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
We already know 50gb download / 34gb audio files is obviously completely wrong. It's far smaller than that.
Can someone please let the download+install finish, then right-click properties on your Titanfall folder and tell us the actual size?? That would be great.

ProtosOmega

Apr 7, 2013
I thought PS4 installation sizes were bad. Damn son! I hope the day one patch isn't huge! (I'm buying retail edition)

krickit

Jan 16, 2011
Disregarding bandwidth usage, I have a 500 Gb hard drive which for gaming PCs is about the smallest you're going to bother with these days. Compare to the 1.5 Mb usage of the 8Mb PS2 memory card for some games (i.e. Jak II, GT4) and 50 Gb isn't too terrifying.
Still, 170% of my monthly bandwidth cap, 46 hour download time assuming a consistent connection here, which it won't be.

ProtosOmega

Apr 7, 2013
Makes me wonder as well, how many DVDs is Titanfall coming on on the PC? And also with the Xbox 360 version, how is THAT going to work?

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
ProtosOmega said:
Makes me wonder as well, how many DVDs is Titanfall coming on on the PC? And also with the Xbox 360 version, how is THAT going to work?
They could localize it better so the unnecessary languages are excluded. Filesize is also likely to be lower due to lower texture quality.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
An even more important question is; why is this such a big problem to so many people with most discs being 1tb or more?

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
TomWiley said:
An even more important question is; why is this such a big problem to so many people with most discs being 1tb or more?
If you bought the online copy. Have fun downloading that. These days most of us are leaning towards buying games online from Steam or GOG and such. Its generally cheaper, and picking up older games is a lot easier and hassle free.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Lictor Face said:
TomWiley said:
If you bought the online copy. Have fun downloading that. These days most of us are leaning towards buying games online from Steam or GOG and such. Its generally cheaper, and picking up older games is a lot easier and hassle free.
I got a 100 mbit downstream so that's not really much of an issue for me, nor mot of my friends where I live. Maybe things are different in the US and UK.