Why doesn't anyone call it the XBone anymore?

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
People called it the "XBone" in an attempt to voice their dissatisfaction with the device and deter Microsoft from releasing it as it was. Those who still find the Xbox One a disappointment still call it the "Xbone", but those who have either accepted it as what we have or have come to believe it is a good system no longer use it.

Game reviewers and journalists have stopped using it because doing so would merit a barrage of complaints that they are biased against it or criticism for being "immature". Because whether we like it or not, "XBone" was a rather immature nickname. A suitable nickname, but immature none the less; like calling a really annoying coworker named Richard "Dick".

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
IPunchWithMyFists said:
Simple question. Haven't seen anyone use the term in a while.

I think it's a great nickname.
Frankly it's because MS removed most of what "boned" potential customers before its release. I say most because almost all of its exclusive launch titles still have a large amount of microtransactions in them that people got pissed about. Especially Crimson Dragon, which handled them in a worse manner than EA.

Honestly I think that's the reason there's such a drought of games on the X1. I think developers are scrambling to remove that crap from their titles. I'm not confident in MS' E3 for this year. Without a release date for the next Fable (for people who've still got the stomach to hand that franchise money) or Halo 5, the X1 looks to be in trouble.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I still call it the Xbone, it's the correct portmanteau and it's easy to type.

To me the X1 is an aircraft Chuck Yeager flew.

I also prefer Xbone as it differentiates from the Xbox one, as in the original Xbox. I'll probably keep calling it the Xbone from now until forever, much like that nickname you got in school, doesn't matter how successful you get, to someone you will always be Xbone.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I still use it so I never forget what they were trying to do.

I don't use it that often in conversation because I have absolutely no reason to talk about consoles, I am quite tired trying to explain simple facts to some people.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Still call it the XBone. Easier to say and type.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
It is, and will always be, the Xbone to me. Though I guess with the 180 MS pulled I really do need to start calling it the EX-bone. That is up until the point MS decides to flip the switch and do another 180. At which time I will have to call it the RE-bone.

But in all seriousness Xbone is the correct terminology. X-Box 360 = Xb360 / X-Box One = Xbone ("The 360" don't count because we can't call the Xbone "the one" like it's our savior or something.)

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
Just a lull in the ever present shit storm generated by uber fanboys. Otherwise I'd say it is because nobody really cares.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Because a joke tends to get old after the 8,000th repetition.

A fact for which Micro$soft is probably rather grateful.

See what I did there? I replaced the 'S' with a dollar sign. So as to suggest that Microsoft are a greedy company that are only interested in money. Am I not witty, repeating someone else's joke years after the fact? Do you love me yet?

Incidentally, the cake is a lie.

Tellis Argonis

Sep 28, 2012
I don't really acknowledge it in general conversation because PC every dey Bdup e wheey mo mo mo mo smoke

But yeh. I normally say EXBAKX WAN or 'that new thing Microsoft made that all those durn kids keep talkin about'

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
I call it XBone and I want one. X-B-One. Makes perfect sense.
If it's a joke, to me it lampoons the fact that they confusingly called it the first Xbox.
That's what calling something "One" means on planet Earth. There already was an Xbox "One".

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Because noone gives a shit about it anymore. Its crap and has already been swept aside by the ps4.

Jul 31, 2013
The same reason why I don't call PC gamers "the glorious master race", console gamers "filthy console peasants" and modern military first-person shooters "SpunkGargleWeeWee".

Because it's fucking dumb, that's why. Ok, it might have been funny in the very beginning like "haha, Xbox One? More like XBone, amirite guys!!!" but it has seriously overstayed it's welcome.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I still call it the Xbone, even here in these forums. Granted, I don't talk about next-gen consoles in excess, so it seldomly comes up.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
It'll be the "Xbone" till judgement day. It will not be forgotten.

I haven't noticed too many people referring to it as anything other than "Xbox", frankly. Microsoft are clearly doing their best to get rid of as much negativity as possible - and a lot of that comes down to the name. They only refer to the Xbox One by name when they have to, and more often than not simply refer to the Xbox brand. They're trying to re-build the brand after the Xbone all but murdered it.

Of course, a lot of it comes down to the fact that, and let's be honest here, the Xbone just isn't popular. You're not seeing people talk about it... because no one is talking about.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
My guess is that people just got sick of the nickname. While it was certainly a justifiable shorthand, literally everybody used it, including me. And after Microsoft did their massive 180 with their policies, there was no real reason to use the nickname anymore. Right now there's no sense of a collective community or rebellion when you use the word, just the satisfaction of a slightly-less-intelligent person putting two and two together to attempt a stab at comedy.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Me and my buddies mostly call it the Xbone. I have seen plenty of people online continue to use it. It is a great nickname, although Microsoft doesn't like it much.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I still use it and feel like I'll continue using it long after the XBone has been replaced by a newer console in however many years. It's a punchy little name that just stuck with me. I don't even use it to be mean anymore honestly...it's just a like a nick-name used for something I don't care about.
I'm with you on that one. For some reason, the name has just stuck in my head and I find that's how I refer to it internally regardless of context; so it just comes out that way when I talk or type.

Zeh Don said:
Of course, a lot of it comes down to the fact that, and let's be honest here, the Xbone just isn't popular. You're not seeing people talk about it... because no one is talking about.
I've noticed that, too; I'm reminded of one of Jim Sterling's videos where he talked about how there isn't anything to keep people invested in the machine between big name releases (I think it was the video about indie games being great console justifiers). I get the impression we aren't supposed to talk about how unpopular it might be, either because it's a taboo or because we just don't want to get into flame wars. Honestly I think it's because no one cares. The people that like it already have and those uncommitted aren't going to suddenly start caring now.

OT: I call it the xbone (for reasons I mentioned above), but I think the reason I gravitated towards the name was partly out of spite for anti-consumer practices, but mostly because there was already an xbox one: it was big, black, awkward, had one of the few controllers big enough for my hands, and it totally failed to beat the ps2 despite being more powerful. Every time someone asks if I'm going to get an xbox one: my first desire is to tell them I got one years ago, my second is to ask if they mean the xbone, and what I actually do is just say I don't plan on getting any consoles this generation.