Why doesn't the iPod touch get recognition as a handheld gaming console?

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Willwillwritehiswill said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Willwillwritehiswill said:
Plus, a quick jailbreak and there are emulators for gameboy, snes, nes, and even (i think) playstation and N64.
In fact, because you have to jailbreak the device, that could be counted as a slight disadvantage over other smartphones.
A jailbreak tool like Spirit takes less than a minute and is pretty much 100% pain free. Much easier than, say, hacking a PSP.
It's not completely pain free. My girlfriend has an iPod touch 3G that required Spirit, while I've been sticking to the slightly more involved redsn0w, and she's already had it replaced once thanks to being stuck in an infinite reboot loop. If you can use something other than Spirit I'd certainly recommend it even though it's a bit more involved than the 5.03 TIFF exploit.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
migo said:
RAKtheUndead said:
One word: Bandwidth.
WiFi.
I really hope you realize that those are, in fact, not mutually exclusive terms. WiFi is only Wireless Internet, Bandwidth is the measure of Data Transfer per second. Bandwidth is how strong your connection to the internet is, not how you're connected.

Why do I keep ending up on this Topic. You asked why the iOS wasn't regarded as a Respected Gaming Platform and we game you an answer. We gave you several good answers too, ones that in our opinions where very good reasons why we don't see it as a Console. Maybe even why Gaming Sites don't list it as one they'd spend time and resources covering beyond the occasional blog post, usually about a big name title being ported over poorly. You've done nothing to elicit a nice conversation about this though. You call many claims users have made something they pulled out of their ass or straight up are uninformed about, probably without even considering the fact that we might well be informed and thus is the reason we have that opinion.

If you wat to look at the iOS as a viable gaming platform on par with the DS and PSP then fine. You're a needle in a haystack though as the vast majority of the community seem to agree that the iOS is made out mainly to be a Music Player with a Web-browser and a collection of Apps. Just like the Android Phone and the Blackberry.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
50% of the games are simplistic shovelware. 49% didn't grasp how to make the thing work as a gaming system. 1% are actually titles worth your time.

Very few compared to other consoles.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
AdamRBi said:
I really hope you realize that those are, in fact, not mutually exclusive terms. WiFi is only Wireless Internet, Bandwidth is the measure of Data Transfer per second. Bandwidth is how strong your connection to the internet is, not how you're connected.[/quote]

Bandwidth is a concern if you're connected via cellular data. iOS games aren't big enough to be a concern if you have a traditional broadband connection, and can still be acquired over a dialup connection if you really want the game.

Why do I keep ending up on this Topic. You asked why the iOS wasn't regarded as a Respected Gaming Platform and we game you an answer.
Yeah, an answer which reveals ignorance of the platform being the reason, not the reason that was presented.

We gave you several good answers too, ones that in our opinions where very good reasons why we don't see it as a Console.
Yes, but your initial post certainly wasn't a good one, as it was seriously misinformed and based on a ridiculous premise.

Maybe even why Gaming Sites don't list it as one they'd spend time and resources covering beyond the occasional blog post, usually about a big name title being ported over poorly. You've done nothing to elicit a nice conversation about this though. You call many claims users have made something they pulled out of their ass or straight up are uninformed about, probably without even considering the fact that we might well be informed and thus is the reason we have that opinion.
It's quite easy to tell when someone has at least some basis for an opinion and when they don't. When someone says there aren't any games, any big name games or any good games it's clear they pull it out of their ass. When you make a judgement based on the Pipin, Palm TX and N-Gage, it's clear you're pulling it out of your ass. When someone says they've played it and didn't find many games to be fun, that's not pulling it out of their ass, so naturally I ask which games they played to see where they're getting their experience from. Since you don't actually know you might take what they say at face value, I actually do know and it's very clear to me that some of the responses are utter BS. Other responses are speculation, clearly phrased as such, and I have quite nice reactions to them.

If you wat to look at the iOS as a viable gaming platform on par with the DS and PSP then fine. You're a needle in a haystack though as the vast majority of the community seem to agree that the iOS is made out mainly to be a Music Player with a Web-browser and a collection of Apps. Just like the Android Phone and the Blackberry.
I'm aware of that - that was the whole premise of the thread. My question was why.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
migo said:
AdamRBi said:
I'm aware of that - that was the whole premise of the thread. My question was why.
And we answered you, If the majority of users don't accept it as a Console then we don't accept it as a console. We all know it has games, some good some bad, and does it better then the other Smart Phones. Doesn't take away from the fact that the iPod is a Music Player and the iPhone is a Phone. Since this is what they are, what most of the Gaming Population thinks of them as, and what Apple Designed them specifically for then that's what the majority of people consider them to be.

Simple as that.

If Apple makes an iGame Handheld using the iOS, a handheld product made for gaming, then we'd consider the iOS one. That's unlikely though, as they're already making money off the Apps and the iPods/iPhones.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
AdamRBi said:
And we answered you,
Some of you yes, but the majority of you came in with answers that were patently untrue, and therefore aren't answers at all.

If Apple makes an iGame Handheld using the iOS, a handheld product made for gaming, then we'd consider the iOS one. That's unlikely though, as they're already making money off the Apps and the iPods/iPhones.
That logic still doesn't fly, and won't ever. People consider Windows PCs to be gaming systems.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
migo said:
AdamRBi said:
And we answered you,
Some of you yes, but the majority of you came in with answers that were patently untrue, and therefore aren't answers at all.

That logic still doesn't fly, and won't ever. People consider Windows PCs to be gaming systems.
It's because PCs aren't Handhelds. Simple as that. We hold Handheld devices at a different standard then a computer, they have to be designed differently then a home PC or Home Console.

We gave you our answers, like them or not from what I read most of them are indeed viable market viewpoints. If people who consider themselves passionate about Video Games as a Medium for Storytelling and Entertainment don't see an operating system developed for a Phone and a Music Player as a Major Gaming Platform then it's not going to be considered one. Like it was said, I'm not calling my PSP a phone just because it has Skype, I'm not calling my DS a Music Player just because it can play music, and I'm not calling my iPod a Handheld gaming console just because it plays games. It's the Nature of these Handheld Devices.

I understand your argument about PCs, and ignoring the fact that some people actually buy Gaming PCs for nothing but Gaming you should realize that Early computers, even early Personal Computers, weren't considered Gaming Consoles for a while even after they started getting a great selection of games. Back then the only Gaming Machines were Arcades and maybe a couple of Pong Consoles.

Who knows, maybe eventually the iOS will be a viable gaming console. It has yet to prove itself worthy by many professionals and fans a like though, and that's because of the reasons everyone has listed.

Silent observer

Jun 18, 2009
Because it...isn't one?

OT: probably because it's primarily a music device, with a few games thrown in - it wasn't primarily designed for games, and I personally find it difficult to play games on an itouch or iphone that are any more complex than doodle jump :)

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Zer_ said:
Akalistos said:
migo said:
Akalistos said:
migo said:
danpascooch said:
Those are all big franchises, but their Itouch versions all suck horribly.
You're pulling that out of your ass. They work very, very, well.

When it has some good games and not just crappy versions with the same name as good games on other platforms, I'll be interested.
You're moving goal posts, but I didn't take you seriously from your first post so it's not like this has really damaged your credibility.
This, sir, is the worst... the most hateful... the most stupid way you can make your point across. You didn't addressed anything or counteract his argument with anything beside attacking him directly.
@Danpascooch: You win sir. You have proven your point and didn't insult the guy. Good Job.

As for you Miko: If you can't argue like a civilize man, why don't you go inhabit 4chan's forum.
There's nothing to counteract. He didn't know about those games in the first place, then when it's pointed out, the first he hears about them, he says they're horrible. There's nothing to say. He entirely made that up because he couldn't rely on any real facts to back up his demonstrably false opinion.
He did say the game aren't very good and then you just mock him and his credibility. You couldn't even name game that were good or even blame the it on the fact that it's brand new, making it hard to make big release like Super Street Fighter 4 to work on it. He made a point, you attack him. You fail.
He quoted a lot of good iPod Touch / iPhone games in his original post. And in several subsequent posts beyond that. :/

I do actually consider the iPod Touch to be a gaming platform, but it's not a portable console by any means, it's much more than that.
So, why attack when he could have said that? When i say:"You are wrong and here's why." it have far more credibility than:"You are wrong because you are Stupid... and stuff."

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, I think it's because the vast majority of the popular iPhone games are overglofied Flash games or DS ports.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
migo said:
Akalistos said:
He did say the game aren't very good and then you just mock him and his credibility.
Because he never even played them nor knew anything about them.
So it give you "Carte Blanche" to call him names? Are you retarded or just don't get the concept of argumentation?

You couldn't even name game that were good or even blame the it on the fact that it's brand new, making it hard to make big release like Super Street Fighter 4 to work on it. He made a point, you attack him. You fail.
I could go and say that they're actually very good games, in fact I enjoy GTA Chinatown wars very much, and it's a similar, but better, experience to GTA2 with the same top down perspective, but the map actually rotates. That would be pointless though, he just made up that they suck, so saying anything further is pointless.[/quote]

Yeah, i know... I have it for my PSP and my Step-Sister bought it for my 12 year old Nephew on his DS. Therefore, he does have a point. It's either port or bad game. Why didn't you fired back by saying that ALL PORT SUCK? Or how about All first titles for any console suck too. Well, most of them. It take time to get and make exclusive title. Back on port, Have you play Assassin Creed 2 on the DS? It a Stealth game mix with Sonic the Hedgehog. You got to go to the end of the TIMED LEVEL without being noticed by guards. No I'm not kidding, and you can stop laughing now.

PS: My nephew is incredibly mature for his age. In a single year, i only see him acted like a child on one occasion. (During the gift exchange last Christmas. He knew there was a Lightsaber in one of those boxes but pick the wrong one and was clearly sadden by that.) So, I'm still a bit uneasy that he play M rated game but if there a kid that can play it without losing his mind, he can.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Akalistos said:
So it give you "Carte Blanche" to call him names? Are you retarded or just don't get the concept of argumentation?
Oh the ironing!

That said, I didn't call him names, I said he pulled it out of his ass, which he did. There's no point in arguing with people who make shit up to prove their point. As in totally make shit up. RAK went and drew conclusions based on other products, which is at least a valid method of deciding whether you want to purchase something, and if he'd said "this is why I didn't buy one for gaming" I would have said it was well reasoned and thought out - that wasn't quite on topic though so instead I addressed the points individually.

Yeah, i know... I have it for my PSP and my Step-Sister bought it for my 12 year old Nephew on his DS. Therefore, he does have a point. It's either port or bad game. Why didn't you fired back by saying that ALL PORT SUCK? Or how about All first titles for any console suck too. Well, most of them. It take time to get and make exclusive title. Back on port, Have you play Assassin Creed 2 on the DS? It a Stealth game mix with Sonic the Hedgehog. You got to go to the end of the TIMED LEVEL without being noticed by guards. No I'm not kidding, and you can stop laughing now.
I'm not going to fire back like that, since that doesn't make any sense. He didn't know about any of those titles for iOS and when he was informed of them he immediately decided they suck. No, I'm not going to fire back with anything other than calling him out for complete fabrication to try to prove his point.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
nick n stuff said:
i'm gonna go with the fact that it's a phone. my phone plays tetris but it's no hand-held.
The iPod touch is not a phone. At all. Some people only read the title of the thread before responding. You didn't even do that.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Akalistos said:
So, why attack when he could have said that? When i say:"You are wrong and here's why." it have far more credibility than:"You are wrong because you are Stupid... and stuff."
No wonder you're coming to his defense, you're making stuff up too. I never said he was stupid, I also gave a very clear reason for why I wasn't bothering to respond further.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
migo said:
nick n stuff said:
i'm gonna go with the fact that it's a phone. my phone plays tetris but it's no hand-held.
The iPod touch is not a phone. At all. Some people only read the title of the thread before responding. You didn't even do that.
they're the same bloody thing and same bloody premise for the sake of conversation.not a console and i think deep down you know it...otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
migo said:
Akalistos said:
Oh the ironing!
Great, could you do my shirt. I have a meeting on Monday. Thank You!(Since I don't know if your are either British, American, Canadian or Australian... i won't bash you since English isn't my first language.)

That said, I didn't call him names, I said he pulled it out of his ass, which he did. There's no point in arguing with people who make shit up to prove their point. As in totally make shit up.
No he didn't. And even if he did, show him proof. There not many truth... only one.
RAK went and drew conclusions based on other products, which is at least a valid method of deciding whether you want to purchase something, and if he'd said "this is why I didn't buy one for gaming" I would have said it was well reasoned and thought out - that wasn't quite on topic though so instead I addressed the points individually.
Did you asked him if he tried it? No? How do you know that he never played it then? HO MY GOD... YOU COULD HAVE ASK HIM THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THEN(if he said no) CALL HIM ON IT. YOU COULD HAVE MADE YOUR POINT ACROSS IN 2 SENTENCES.
Akalistos said:
I'm not going to fire back like that, since that doesn't make any sense.
Me speaking too fast... must slow down for Migo. You should look it up. Many of the first games release fade into obscurity. Just look up on Gamespot and look the score of all the first... let say 5 month, game of any console. You would be surprise. (by the way, when some show proof and you don't look it up, you become the one that pull stuff out of your ass.)
He didn't know about any of those titles for iOS and when he was informed of them he immediately decided they suck. No, I'm not going to fire back with anything other than calling him out for complete fabrication to try to prove his point...
...Because you either don't have proof or your the one pulling stuff out of your ass. That the only conclusion that you leave me with.
migo said:
Akalistos said:
No wonder you're coming to his defense, you're making stuff up too. I never said he was stupid, I also gave a very clear reason for why I wasn't bothering to respond further.
No, your the one making stuff up. I says when I... [HEADING=2]I[/HEADING]
say:
That meant it was a example. You clearly call him a liar and here's proof:
migo said:
You're moving goal posts, but I didn't take you seriously from your first post so it's not like this has really damaged your credibility.
migo said:
That said, I didn't call him names, I said he pulled it out of his ass, which he did.
migo said:
There's no point in arguing with people who make shit up to prove their point. As in totally make shit up.
Which mean you attack him and not his arguments.
It's a good thing that nobody can delete his old posts. :p

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Akalistos said:
Great, could you do my shirt. I have a meeting on Monday. Thank You!(Since I don't know if your are either British, American, Canadian or Australian... i won't bash you since English isn't my first language.)
It's a meme. Evidently hasn't caught on over here.
No he didn't. And even if he did, show him proof.
I don't need to show him proof, he knows he made it up, and anyone who reads this thread in chronological order in its entirety knows that too.

Did you asked him if he tried it? No? How do you know that he never played it then?
Because he didn't know they existed. Clearly if he had played them he wouldn't have made the patently false claim that there aren't any big name games for iOS.

Me speaking too fast... must slow down for Migo. You should look it up. Many of the first games release fade into obscurity. Just look up on Gamespot and look the score of all the first... let say 5 month, game of any console. You would be surprise. (by the way, when some show proof and you don't look it up, you become the one that pull stuff out of your ass.)
While that's all very interesting, it's not very relevant to that particular thread.

...Because you either don't have proof or your the one pulling stuff out of your ass. That the only conclusion that you leave me with.
I don't need to repeat stuff I've already said once in the thread, if people didn't read it through the first time, what guarantee do I have that they will when I show proof as they demand it? You're a perfect example of not reading it through.

No, your the one making stuff up. I says when I... [HEADING=2]I[/HEADING]
say:
That meant it was a example. You clearly call him a liar and here's proof:
migo said:
migo said:
That said, I didn't call him names, I said he pulled it out of his ass, which he did.
migo said:
There's no point in arguing with people who make shit up to prove their point. As in totally make shit up.
Which mean you attack him and not his arguments.
It's a good thing that nobody can delete his old posts. :p
You don't understand what an ad hominem attack is. Calling him out for making stuff up isn't an ad hominem attack. Saying he eats babies is. I did the former, not the latter.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
nick n stuff said:
migo said:
nick n stuff said:
they're the same bloody thing and same bloody premise for the sake of conversation.not a console and i think deep down you know it...otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question.
No, they're not. If you'd have followed even the initial exchange between RAK and me on the first page that would be quite clear.