Why don't more self proclaimed Nerds watch Wrestling?

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
TheScientificIssole said:
Mostly because some "nerds" appreciate reasoning for violence and aren't brutish or don't enjoy watching strangely dressed men fight. Also one of your reasonings is
SadakoMoose said:
First of all: Japan loves pro wrestling.
Why is that a reason?
Why should I appreciate something that I know I don't like just because "Japan likes pro wrestling."? Why would I go out of my way to like something because you and Japan like it? Your answer seems to be because I'm a "nerd" and apparently I have to become a fan of anything liked in Japan.You know what? You're right! New post right here. Ready? BASEBALL! More nerds should like Baseball. Japan likes it!

Excuse me, but I have nothing against people who like wrestling or baseball or the two.... sports? Sport and........ What is wrestling? Either way, it seems that you're preaching at me what I should like. You seem like your trying to force it on so people. You're at least not being Hispterish and refusing to talk about it, but you're post could have been styled as a "You're thoughts on X, and your reasoning?"
No hate for wrestling though. You like what you like, and I don't give a crap(I do give a 2 paragraph post though).
I really hate to seem like I'm forcing it down people's throats, but it's an issue I feel strongly for.
I never said anyone would "have" to logically become a fan, because of how popular it is overseas. I was just trying to establish some common threads, to maybe lure some people over to wrestling fandom.
There are a surprising number of people who have never seen wrestling outside of maybe like 5 minutes of crappy WWE stuff, while channel surfing.
I've made it a personal mission of mine to show people the good stuff.
It'd be like if barely anyone had seen Fantasia or Secret of NIMH or anything by Ghibli, and all most people had ever heard of animation was Family Guy.
It's an outrage to me, that so many different people all over the world have basically been denied access to GOOD pro wrestling, because of cultural accidents (like the Spanish Civil War or ITV Cancelling World of Sport/Big Daddy accidentally killing a man) or because of Vince McMahon's predatory business practices.
I must correct it!
And I understand that. I'm just saying that this is the wrong post format. It would be better to try to spread it less forcefully and with the opinions of other fans. Either way wrestling just isn't in my taste.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Personally, I'm not into any sport that's just extended broadcasts of sweaty man-grappling.

But, y'know, that's cool, bro. I don't judge.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm not interested in organized sports or performances like plays and wrestling. I'm just not. sorry.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I don't understand your arguement... Wrestlers are nerds and so we should like them?... thats nothing new, I know many-a-wrestlers tend to be nerds. So do many big strong guys you wouldn't expect. Vin Deisel plays D&D Anderson 'The Spider' Silva named himself after Spider-Man. There's plenty of others like this.

As for the Japanese thing, believe it or not, some self confessed nerds (and you are talking to a self confessed nerd here) don't tend to like Japan culture, anime or manga. I'm one of them. I'm just not that big on it. Not to the point most people are, I don't hate the genre but I'm not diving into it. I liked Dragon Ball and DBZ Funamation dub, which I imagine would get me blacklisted from any anime fansite.

As for Wrestling... I just don't really care for it. I find it to be a fun little stunt show with poor acting and silly predictable results. Honestly I find most matches boring no matter the show. Used to be into the stuff back in the 90s to early 2000n's. However I soon got bored with it and stopped watching (though mainly because we couldn't afford sky any more so we couldn't watch it). Moved onto better things. I do still tend to watch WWE on weekends with my cousin simply because he likes wrestling and I stop at his house on the weekend, often having a drink. Watched it, its still boring predictable crap. I find some of the stunts fun and exciting but honestly... It not my thing. I get bored by it quick, they often drag with storylines I don't care about which are often rehashes of older storylines.

I can just about predict who's going to win every match. So no, not all that into it. That and I don't like John Cena... I think as a wrestler hes talented but hes a cash cow and those he's pretty much immortal.

I personally love MMA. That's the highlight for me.

Though it also seems that your argument (I read all 4 pages before posting) seems to hinge on "Japanese wrestling is better... its not the silly mainstream shit they show overhere" which I imagine most people over in Japan probably think the same thing about the Japanese wrestling. The show being from another country doesn't make it any better or worse.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Sovvolf said:
I don't understand your arguement... Wrestlers are nerds and so we should like them... thats nothing new, I know many-a-wrestlers tend to be nerds. So do many big strong guys you wouldn't expect. Vin Deisel plays D&D Anderson 'The Spider' Silva named himself after Spider-Man. There's plenty of others like this.

As for the Japanese thing, believe it or not, some self confessed nerds (and you are talking to a self confessed nerd here) don't tend to like Japan culture, anime or manga. I'm one of them. I'm just not that big on it. Not to the point most people are, I don't hate the genre but I'm not diving into it. I liked Dragon Ball and DBZ Funamation dub.

As for Wrestling... I just don't really care for it. I find it to be a fun little stunt show with poor acting and silly predictable results. Honestly I find most matches boring no matter the show. Used to be into the stuff back in the 90s to early 2000n's. However I soon got bored with it and stopped watching. Moved onto better things. I do still tend to watch WWE on weekends with my cousin simply because he like wrestling and I stop at his house on the weekend, often having a drink. Watched it, its still boring predictable crap. I find some of the stunt fun and exciting but honestly... It not my thing. I get bored by it quick, they often drag with storylines I don't care about which are often rehashes of older storylines.

I can just about predict who's going to win every match. So no, not all that into it. That and I don't like John Cena... I think as a wrestler hes talented but hes a cash cow and those he's pretty much immortal.

I personally love MMA. That's the highlight for me.
What you said there is very much true about the WWE right now.
Stagnant Angles, very predictable booking.
But have you tried Ring of Honor just yet?
or any of the videos I posted?
It's good quality action, with very little of that whole "story" thing.
And that's not just because the majority of what I posted is Japanese language.
Still though, you're dead accurate about the WWE right now.
They're what makes my job so hard! XD

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
But have you tried Ring of Honor just yet?
or any of the videos I posted?
Actually yes I watched a few vids... some were interesting but I didn't find it entertaining. That's the big button there. Entertainment, some are entertained by it... some aren't. I'm not. Sure its cool to look at every now and again but it just gets real old real fast. You could argue that about stuff like boxing or MMA but because the fights are real (I know, I'm going with the real angle... Though hang with me a sec here) there's some tension to it all. Given that they aren't predetermined fights, the results have actual weight to them. In pro-wrestling, no matter the show... someone winning doesn't much matter because its all predetermined. So there's no real joy or weight in watching your favorite fighter win, so its just watching fighters suplex one another and seen one you've seen them all.

Though interestingly enough my cousin and I were talking about this the otherday... how to make wrestling entertaining again. My suggestion was to first drop the name wrestling because it just barely looks like wrestling anymore. Two, just start going crazy with it. Turn them into more Hollywood esq fights. Maybe even use wirefu for some of it. The fact that its fake is no secret now so just have fun with it. Have a fight with 30 against one and that one just karate kicking them to dust like you'd see in a Jet Li movie or Tony Jaa flick. Sure it would look fake but... thats no secret... it'd look fun at lease. I'd be entertained at watching these guys go through this every show. Its choreographed anyway at this point... why not go the whole hog.

Look I will say that I'm glad your enthusiastic about your entertainment but you need to accept that some people just aren't entertained by it. That's the simple truth of it.

fanozelda9

Dec 10, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
fanozelda9 said:
SadakoMoose said:
fanozelda9 said:
I wish CHIKARA was more popular, what little I've seen is great. Unfortunately, I live in the USA with dialup, so I gotta watch what's on TV or happens live near me, which gives me the options of WWE, TNA, some others that are on TV, that I forget to watch, and the local wrestling company near where I live.
Sorry to hear that...
At least you get to support local wrestling, right?
Yeah, they have some good matches, and on occasion, someone like a teacher from around here will get into a match, which makes things interesting. On a different note, this is one of the reasons CHIKARA seems cool to me.

http://youtu.be/uhov41UQbUI

Sorry, don't know how to embed this.
Oh well that's actually quite easy!
just put in brackets:
[youtube
and the then =PYj3zfOCaYg part from the url
so it'll look like
[youtube= PYj3zfOCaYg without the spaces and with a bracket at the end
if all goes well, you get this:
[MEDIA=youtube]PYj3zfOCaYg[/MEDIA]

BTW, what your local fed called? Sounds interesting.
Thanks. They go by Universal Independent Wrestling. They also have some guys who wrestled in NWA and WCW, like Buddy Rose and Glacier. Not the most famous guys, granted, but it's still interesting to see guys like that.

Woulda replied sooner, but, as I mentioned, slow internet stopped me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
A big part of it for me is that I don't spend much time watching anything. I prefer to read or interact with my entertainments, for the most part... so if I'm going to watch a TV program or whatever, I require it to be informative, concise, and entertaining. Pro wrestling is only one of those things.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Risingblade said:
There was always something about two half naked men grabbing each other on a mat that I never really found enjoyable.
And the inevitable, ignorant gay joke about wrestling hits....

OP: Just because some wrestlers are nerds doesn't mean that nerds should love wrestling.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I've tried watching wrestling and I can't bring myself to care. I've watched the clips and I still don't find it entertaining or interesting, but it's cool that you like it, just not my cup of tea.

I don't see what the big deal with it is since if I really wanted to watch shitty acting and fake violence I can go watch a soap opera and be just as bored. I've seen some comparisons to MMA on this thread and, to me, it's ok, if I'm at a bar and it's on one of the TVs I'll watch it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is, this self-proclaimed nerd, I have an issue with that phrasing, can't bring herself to care.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Never like T.V. wrestling for it being fake, being a bad soap opera, and the loud crowds...

Now Japanese wrestling is hilarious, by the clips you show me. If that is how they act all the time, then I could see myself watching it. :)

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I like 'real' fighting, thank you very much. It's entertainment and I like sports better, it's just a little too much scripted for me. I mean I live in Holland here we absolutely dominate fighting sports. It's like tradition for me, I practice Muay Thai, Jujutsu, Aikido, Tai Chi. I once got into the second round of the Dutch national K1 championship (as I very often say :) and that's something I'm very proud of.

I mean seriously watch this

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
wootsman said:
wrestling isn't nerdy this is news to me it seems like the nerdiest sport out there the costumes the gimmicks the cheesy drama the fake violence it isn't as main stream as the other sports
Gimmicks and cheesy drama, that's why I can't stand wrestling. It just makes me cringe, I can't possibly take it seriously.

Plus it's a sport, so, bleugh.