"Why don't they emphasis penises like that?!"

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Baffle said:
Rebel_Raven said:
That particular scene is from All star Superman where Supes gives Lois that outfit which will bestow unto her his powers for 24 hours. Considering that, it probably will put her into some stellar shape.
He's a wizard as well now?! The rest of her life is going to feel like one long, shitty hangover. Nice gift, dickheadman.
Nah, it had something to do with the suit being infused with his liquid DNA, or something like that. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with him being supercharged by the sun, and sabotage while on a rescue mission, or not. I forget the details, but it definitely had something to do with liquid Superman.
And yeah, I agree that going from kryptonian to human is a massive downgrade.

the December King said:
Rebel_Raven said:
Baffle said:
Superman bought Lois Lane a leotard for her birthday? Say what you mean Superman: 'Lois, I want you to go to the gym more. In the eighties'

OT: The Superman one doesn't really strike me as particularly bulgy. The woman (not sure who that is) does have gigantic tits though.
That particular scene is from All star Superman where Supes gives Lois that outfit which will bestow unto her his powers for 24 hours. Considering that, it probably will put her into some stellar shape.
That is an awesome gift to give her! I'm actually touched...very cool idea.

Boobs look like giant googly eyes, and once you look at a woman's naked body like that you can't unsee it until you walk away and giggle for a while. Fact.
Yeah, and the same arc shows why he doesn't do it all that often, I think.
Plus other villains like Livewire tend to go off the deep end when they get their powers from a kryptonian.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Baffle said:
If I told Mrs B that her birthday gift was doing my shitty thankless job for the day she'd be so angry.
You got her pregnant?

OT- Because the bulge is not rough equivalent of big breasts. The closest thing I can think of for the ladies for "comical oversize" is "Yoai hands"

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Baffle said:
Superman bought Lois Lane a leotard for her birthday? Say what you mean Superman: 'Lois, I want you to go to the gym more. In the eighties'

OT: The Superman one doesn't really strike me as particularly bulgy. The woman (not sure who that is) does have gigantic tits though.
I don't know if the written comic details were changed for the animated movie or not but in the movie Superman created a serum that gave Lois his powers for 24 hours after he got super charged by flying to close to the sun and became super intelligent among other things. The suit was just to wear for the day but it needs a bit of the intended person's DNA to work I don't think Superman's was necessary since Lex reproduces a serum for himself later on.

Edit: Oh it was just to spend a day in his shoes kind of thing,feeling the power and freedom of self-flight and such she never "needed" to save the day.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
That's a pretty weaksauce example of an emphasised penis. But while penises aren't equivalent to breasts, neither are pecs, because men's bodies aren't sexualised to the extent women's bodies are. That's called sexism.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
manic_depressive13 said:
That's a pretty weaksauce example of an emphasised penis. But while penises aren't equivalent to breasts, neither are pecs, because men's bodies aren't sexualised to the extent women's bodies are. That's called sexism.
If nature is sexist then yes. More importance is placed on the female body because when it comes to reproduction it's health is more important for bringing the child to term and that has influenced pretty much every human civilization throughout history. It's amazing how many people want to think that it was all just society and that women would be oggling pictures of the opposite sex as much as men if they where only allowed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Two things occurred to me; one, yes it does happen -

Hi, super-bulge!
If this were at all equivalent, Supes' dick would be at least halfway down his thigh in its resting state.

That's kind of the problem, dude. You've admitted your metric for boobs is shaped by media that portrays women as having tits bigger than their heads as standard. That bulge, on the other hand, appears to be your idea of huge. Personally, it's my idea of "cute."

In fact, they tend to downplay the genitals of male superheroes. Meanwhile, look at what Lois is wearing. Look at what Lois is going to wear. And consider that they literally altered Brandon Routh's package in Superman Returns because his natural "gifts" were too great. Routh forever has the honour of bragging that he's got one up on the Man of Steel.

Exley got a warning in one of these threads for showing off a real equivalent shot. That's how big the double-standard is. You can't even show pics comparable to the anime girls. And this isn't complaining about the moderation, before someone chews me out for that. It's pointing out the standard of what's considered too risque/NSFW.

I would bet good money that you would be veeeeeeeery uncomfortable if we scaled up all superheroes to even Brandon Routh standard. Or if that was considered "small" by the culture at large. Or if men were expected to parade their junk like women are.

But you think this is equivalent because...this is what media shows you. The same media where the ratio of breast to torso--at least in the examples you tend to give--is a function of multipliers (x2, x3, etc) rather than a matter of inches (this is how cut size is measured).

Oh, also, it's worth mentioning that the reason "men" are wired to enjoy breasts as you indicate is that it's an evolutionary holdover as a symbol of arousal. Saying "it's a secondary sexual characteristic, you can't compare it to the penis" isn't entirely true. If you want to talk about "wiring," you don't get to ignore why that's there.

erttheking said:
P
Plus a bulge isn't quite as sexualized as an outfit designed to leave very little to the imagination. You can actually walk around in a Superman outfit and not get called indecent. Can't say the same for the Fire Emblem outfit.
It's also worth noting that Supes' trunks are explicitly baggy, while breast pictures often seem to strain at the fabric of an outfit.

Rebel_Raven said:
Plus other stuff said, like boobs not being reproductive in nature, being more pleasant to look at, boobs being more symbolic than anything, etc.
More pleasant to look at largely because male genitals look weird. More coverage is really better.

Nah, it had something to do with the suit being infused with his liquid DNA, or something like that.
...EWWWWWW!

DrownedAmmet said:
Is that really the best example of penis emphasis in comics? Because that's kind of weak

I'd try to find a better one but don't feel like typing "comic book penis" into Google image search...
It's not the best example, no. It is, however, pretty common, and really more modest by comic standards than the outfit it's being compared to.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I don't know about sexism, but that design is just awful. Every single piece of her armor looks like it was engineered to be as dangerous for the wearer as possible. Gotta love the spikes on her elbows and shins that could only possibly stab her, and the low-riding tassets to show off that absolute territory. Seriously, that entire crotch region looks like it was designed to catch swords and get her legs chopped off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gengisgame said:
If nature is sexist then yes.
If nature is the issue, why did it take white Europeans to tell all those other cultures that? To impose such "natural" standards on women?

Were other cultures just too dumb to know how sexualised they were supposed to treat breasts?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Perhaps I'm off the mark seeing as how I'm a heterosexual male, but I have a theory; penises are gross.

Seriously, have you taken the time to examine one? I mean REALLY examine it?[footnote]Don't answer that.[/footnote] They look like some sort of eldritch, eyeless worm bent on devouring souls.
That comment is going one my figurative fridge. I love it.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Benpasko said:
I don't know about sexism, but that design is just awful. Every single piece of her armor looks like it was engineered to be as dangerous for the wearer as possible. Gotta love the spikes on her elbows and shins that could only possibly stab her, and the low-riding faulds to show off that absolute territory. Seriously, that entire crotch region looks like it was designed to catch swords and get her legs chopped off.
She is a mounted cavalryman/woman - she rides a wyvern into battle and basically flies around, lancing and chopping people down and then running away. In her case, her outfit is merely personal preference - she isn't standing toe-to-toe in combat, and anything capable of hitting her in the first place would basically one-shot her anyway, she she really can wear what she wants. What armor she does have IS good for deflecting the blows that she would have to worry about - someone trying to get a swipe in on her arms, legs or side while she is swooping in.

Female characters in Fire Emblem who ARE standing in direct combat with the enemy - like Fighters, Lords, Generals, Paladins etc. - wearing combat ready armor, like Sully and Titana.

Sully is a horse-mounted unit, and Titana is a Paladin.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Gengisgame said:
If nature is sexist then yes.
If nature is the issue, why did it take white Europeans to tell all those other cultures that? To impose such "natural" standards on women?

Were other cultures just too dumb to know how sexualised they were supposed to treat breasts?
You should know the reply I'm going to give. Europeans where far from the only people to do this without European influence, so why did you even ask?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gengisgame said:
You should know the reply I'm going to give.
Why, do you think I can read minds?

Europeans where far from the only people to do this without European influence, so why did you even ask?
Becaause the significant number of cultures that didn't do it without European influence is a massive hole in your "nature" argument. That you can name others that did doesn't help the argument any, and I suspect you know it doesn't.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
For some reason, the title made me think that it was a complain about penises not being emphasized as much as breasts. Because that's something that we can change:

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Gengisgame said:
You should know the reply I'm going to give.
Why, do you think I can read minds?

Europeans where far from the only people to do this without European influence, so why did you even ask?
Becaause the significant number of cultures that didn't do it without European influence is a massive hole in your "nature" argument. That you can name others that did doesn't help the argument any, and I suspect you know it doesn't.
What major culture didn't place emphasis on the female form?

What human society didn't have hunter gatherer males and protect the women folk?

Just because nature doesn't agree with how you think things should work doesn't mean you can write it off it's influences on human culture. You do realize that your idea of the white man deciding to just do this one day makes no sense.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Benpasko said:
self snip
She is a mounted cavalryman/woman - she rides a wyvern into battle and basically flies around, lancing and chopping people down and then running away. In her case, her outfit is merely personal preference - she isn't standing toe-to-toe in combat, and anything capable of hitting her in the first place would basically one-shot her anyway, she she really can wear what she wants. What armor she does have IS good for deflecting the blows that she would have to worry about - someone trying to get a swipe in on her arms, legs or side while she is swooping in.
What armor she does have IS good for deflecting the blows that she would have to worry about
Wait, what?
anything capable of hitting her in the first place would basically one-shot her anyway
Obviously not, sir. Maybe if she put on some real armor she wouldn't have that one-shotting issue.

There's also an inherent ridiculousness in wearing metal armor with nothing underneath, especially when you're flying high up in the sky.
ASCEND, MY TRUSTY WYVERN. BUT NOT TOO HIGH, I FORGOT TO LAYER TODAY AND DON'T WANT TO SUFFER NERVE DAMAGE.

I'm just poking fun at this point, I'm not gonna convince you to stop defending this design you think is fine (in fact, I wouldn't even try to).

I just hate this kind of 'lady armor' design, it completely takes me out of games when I see it. Look at those shin spikes. It's a good thing she's wearing heels, because if she wasn't those spikes would be inside of her feet.

Titana is a badass design. No question about that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
[quote="Gengisgame" post="18.934051.23503991"

What major culture didn't place emphasis on the female form?[/quote]

Changing "sexualised the way women's bodies are" to "no emphasis on the female form" is called "shifting the goalposts."