Why don't YOU have Skyrim?

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Oroboros said:
Snipped the n'wah
Most of eastern Morrowind/Vvardenfell is fine. The argonians and daedra came knocking and the Telvani were like 'Yea, uh huh. No.' and blew them to hell.

All of these events were foreshadowed in Morrowind, Vivec loses his divinity, what else do you think is gonna keep the ministry of truth up? Plus the whole enslaving argonians for generations did not go over well in Black Marsh.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
DRes82 said:
I don't have it because...oh wait, I do have it. I feel sorry for all you hipsters saying you didn't buy it just because its the non mainstream thing to do. Or because Bethesda is pissing on Mojang. Or whatever reason it is that people don't buy quality games.

Do yourselves a favor and grab a copy. Maybe not now...but in the future some time, definitely. Its not a sequel to Oblivion. Its not a reskinned Morrowind. It took the elements of both that were great, and got rid of everything that was not so great, and combined them into a work of art. I'm serious, if you like video games at all...you owe it to yourself to try this game.

My only regret is not finishing the Deus Ex: HR DLC before beginning Skyrim.
A word of advice, when urging people to buy a game, it's best not to be condescending to them for not buying it within the same monologue. It's insulting and runs counter to your intention of getting people to try the game. Some people get tired of being called hipsters/whiners/bandwagoners/etc for merely voicing their opinion.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I don't own it for a myriad of reasons:

A) I'm a 3rd year counseling Masters student writing my thesis with 4 weeks left in the semester.

B) Whereas I enjoy Bethesda and their RPGs, I only recently played Oblivion.

C) I am almost positive not only will they release a slew of DLC, I can see it being expensive (Shimmering Isles...) and plentiful.

Therefore, I'm going to pass until a GOTY edition, ultimate edition etc. is released with the DLC included (like what I did for Dragon Age Origins :D

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Hafrael said:
Oroboros said:
Snipped the n'wah
Most of eastern Morrowind/Vvardenfell is fine. The argonians and daedra came knocking and the Telvani were like 'Yea, uh huh. No.' and blew them to hell.

All of these events were foreshadowed in Morrowind, Vivec loses his divinity, what else do you think is gonna keep the ministry of truth up? Plus the whole enslaving argonians for generations did not go over well in Black Marsh.
(spoilers ahoy!)

1) You could kill Vivic outright in Morrowind. I noticed a distinct lack of being vaporized moments afterwards by the ministry.

2) There was no indication that the ministry was anything except suspended in air. The whole 'frozen in time' thing seems a lot like a dues ex machina to weaken the Dunmer enough that the Argonian could plausibly overrun them.

3) Vivec was losing his powers, but had no real motivation to annihilate the city. He could have moved it somewhere safer, etc. Vivec in the game seems invested enough in the fate of Vvardenfall to help you with wraithguard, it seems strange that he wouldn't be invested enough to see that the most populated city on the island wouldn't be vaporized.

4) There was already a device holding the ministry up, fo mthe same book where all the othe Dus Ex Machinas come from, it was called the 'Ingenium'. So really, the foreshadowing really came to nothing-the city was destroyed because the author decided to have the ingenium fail, not because of anything vivec did or didn't do, or because of any foreshadowing. The author gave the dunmer a solution to this problem. The author decided that he wanted to destroy Vvardenfall. It was entirely a dues ex machina.

5) The ministry hitting Vivec not only devastates a sizable portion of Vvardenfll, but also causes red mountain to erupt. This reeks of Deus ex machina even moreso then the ministry blowing up Vivec.

6) The Argonians beat the Daedra invasions in the Oblivion Crisis to the point where they invade Oblivion and the Daedra are forced to call off the invasion to keep from being overrun. By contrast, Redoran loses the entire city of Ald'ruhn. Vivec is destroyed, Red Mountain erupts, and the Argonians invade Morrowind and drive the population into Solstheim except for a few Telvanni pockets.

The whole series of events seems contrived to get the Dunmer out of the way, and not in a terribly subtle way either. The Argonians have never before this point really demonstrated any military capable of carrying out these feats (why else would they have so many problems with slavers?) Then all of a sudden, they acquire the ability to take on not only the forces of Oblivion (much more competently then the Imperials did, I might add) but also to kill all the foreigners in the black marsh and take over morrowind, which has conveniently suffered not one, but two catastrophic events.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Oroboros said:
Hafrael said:
Oroboros said:
Snipped the n'wah

(spoilers ahoy!)

1) You could kill Vivic outright in Morrowind. I noticed a distinct lack of being vaporized moments afterwards by the ministry.

The Ministry was a moon from Oblivion, it was frozen in space and time by Vivec. The reason it doesn't immediately fall is obviously gameplay/story segregation.

2) There was no indication that the ministry was anything except suspended in air. The whole 'frozen in time' thing seems a lot like a dues ex machina to weaken the Dunmer enough that the Argonian could plausibly overrun them.
It was outright stated in Morrowind that the only thing keeping the ministry stuck in space was Vivec.

3) Vivec was losing his powers, but had no real motivation to annihilate the city. He could have moved it somewhere safer, etc. Vivec in the game seems invested enough in the fate of Vvardenfall to help you with wraithguard, it seems strange that he wouldn't be invested enough to see that the most populated city on the island wouldn't be vaporized.
I think this was mainly because he was doing all he could after losing his divinity to just keep it in the air.

4) There was already a device holding the ministry up, fo mthe same book where all the othe Dus Ex Machinas come from, it was called the 'Ingenium'. So really, the foreshadowing really came to nothing-the city was destroyed because the author decided to have the ingenium fail, not because of anything vivec did or didn't do, or because of any foreshadowing. The author gave the dunmer a solution to this problem. The author decided that he wanted to destroy Vvardenfall. It was entirely a dues ex machina.
Honestly, I put the games over the books, so anything not shared between them I'm going to disregard.
5) The ministry hitting Vivec not only devastates a sizable portion of Vvardenfll, but also causes red mountain to erupt. This reeks of Deus ex machina even moreso then the ministry blowing up Vivec.
What? Red Mountain was constantly spewing ash and fire, this is not what an inactive volcano does. Also earthquakes can cause eruptions, I would think that a large piece of moon could cause enough seismic activity to do the same.

6) The Argonians beat the Daedra invasions in the Oblivion Crisis to the point where they invade Oblivion and the Daedra are forced to call off the invasion to keep from being overrun. By contrast, Redoran loses the entire city of Ald'ruhn. Vivec is destroyed, Red Mountain erupts, and the Argonians invade Morrowind and drive the population into Solstheim
Black Marsh is ridiculously inhospitable, that's why there will never be a game there. Non-argonians cannot even survive walking around.

except for a few Telvanni pockets.
The entirety of Telvani territory was salvaged. Almost all of eastern Morrowind, and eastern Vvardenfell was, and still is, under complete Telvani control.

The whole series of events seems contrived to get the Dunmer out of the way, and not in a terribly subtle way either. The Argonians have never before this point really demonstrated any military capable of carrying out these feats (why else would they have so many problems with slavers?) Then all of a sudden, they acquire the ability to take on not only the forces of Oblivion (much more competently then the Imperials did, I might add) but also to kill all the foreigners in the black marsh and take over morrowind, which has conveniently suffered not one, but two catastrophic events.
Morrowind was screwed from the get-go. When so much of your society is devoted to a trio of gods who suddenly lose their divinity, you're screwed.

The Argonians have an embarrassing history with military conflict, but they have never been successfully invaded. The Black Marsh is so poisonous it would be impossible. This is true even for the legions of Mehrunes Dagon.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
It's Christmas time.
Not spending money on myself until after the new year. :p

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Need to focus on work for a while, also the whole applying to grad school thing.

Also, I don't like the idea of giving Bethesda money. Their lawsuit against Mojang demonstrated that they are part of what's wrong with the gaming industry, and I don't want to fund them. There are far more similar competing titles in the industry than "The Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls" that didn't result in lawsuits, so their "But we had to!" argument is bullshit. If I ever buy it, I'm getting it used.

Esvees

Jan 14, 2010
I spent about 6 months on Oblivion...

I've got enough unfinished games lying around, which is why I get stuff like MW3 first as I knew it would be done and dusted wthin 2 days. When I'm done with a lot of the stuff I want to finish first I'll get it, as otherwise I'll never get around to it.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
DRes82 said:
I don't have it because...oh wait, I do have it. I feel sorry for all you hipsters saying you didn't buy it just because its the non mainstream thing to do. Or because Bethesda is pissing on Mojang. Or whatever reason it is that people don't buy quality games.

Do yourselves a favor and grab a copy. Maybe not now...but in the future some time, definitely. Its not a sequel to Oblivion. Its not a reskinned Morrowind. It took the elements of both that were great, and got rid of everything that was not so great, and combined them into a work of art. I'm serious, if you like video games at all...you owe it to yourself to try this game.

My only regret is not finishing the Deus Ex: HR DLC before beginning Skyrim.
I feel sorry for people whose life outside gaming is such that they consider ownership of a game to be something they owe themselves, and go on forums to be an asshole to those who don't make the same kind of commitment.

Games may not be evil or addictive or inherently devastating to one's social life, but they do not a fulfilling existence make. No game is worth doing what you're doing.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I'm in with the no money crowd. We moved to a new place in the summer with a steeper driveway, and the snow is on its way to the hard packed stage. $500 for a new set of winter tires since we can no longer get away with using the crap ones, as well as a trip to Blizzcon pretty much tapped out our spending money.

But whatever! I'm (supposed to be) doing nanowrimo, dammit. Must get rid of distractions. Screw you internet!

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
McMullen said:
No game is worth doing what you're doing.
What, exactly, am I doing that isn't worth the game I'm playing? Hell, I took four days off of work to buy and play Skyrim. I logged about 50 hours over that time. Those four days were the first I've taken off from work in the last year. Sure, my wife was a little miffed that I didn't spend any time with her over the weekend...but in the end, she agreed I deserved a little vacation. So you see, your assumption was wrong and while Skyrim is very much providing a 'fulfilling existence' for me at the moment, I'm sure that I will be able to acclimate back to my real life with relative ease.

Oroboros said:
A word of advice, when urging people to buy a game, it's best not to be condescending to them for not buying it within the same monologue. It's insulting and runs counter to your intention of getting people to try the game. Some people get tired of being called hipsters/whiners/bandwagoners/etc for merely voicing their opinion.
Hey man, I don't care if you hipsters buy it or not. I was simply pointing out that you'd be doing yourselves a disfavor if you didn't.

John Mandrake

Apr 3, 2010
WHAT?! I DONT?!
brb

back, just got it, good game, but so many little errors i hope they fix, i never get games this early in their cycle unless it's REALLY good

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
(More spoilers!)
Hafrael said:
The Ministry was a moon from Oblivion, it was frozen in space and time by Vivec. The reason it doesn't immediately fall is obviously gameplay/story segregation.

It was outright stated in Morrowind that the only thing keeping the ministry stuck in space was Vivec.
I was referring to being stuck in time, as opposed to being propped up with telekinesis. The lack of it falling when killing Vivec is still a direct contradiction to the way it behaves later. Besides, they build a prison inside of it. The ordinators and prisoners inside were noticeably un-timetopped. This als beggs the question of what they did with all of the excavated material. Did it accelerate when the rest of the moon became un-time-stuck? I have a hilarious mental image of a landfill halfway across Vvardenfall suddenly exploding. At any rate, there was never any indication the ministry was anything except levitated, to my knowledge.

Hafrael said:
I think this was mainly because he was doing all he could after losing his divinity to just keep it in the air.
Fair enough, but if the ministry was just levitated, it wouldn't have done much damage, and at any rate, there was the Ingenium.

Hafrael said:
Honestly, I put the games over the books, so anything not shared between them I'm going to disregard.
Unfortunately, Bethesda has decided that the books are canon and they are apparently referenced in Skyrim. At any rate, Vivec getting smushed, red mountain exploding, and the argonians invading are all from this same book. I suspect that the author did not like Morrowind/the Dunmer.

Hafrael said:
What? Red Mountain was constantly spewing ash and fire, this is not what an inactive volcano does. Also earthquakes can cause eruptions, I would think that a large piece of moon could cause enough seismic activity to do the same.
If I recall correctly, the ash storms diminish after you beat the main quest, so the volcanic activity was mostly the result of Dagoth Ur. Aside from that, it is rather ridiculous to think that the volcano would destroy the entire region. If you fly over red mountain, you ca see that there is lava in the crater with clear access to the surface, yet it doesn't move. clearly it isn't under much pressure. I don't see how the ministry blowing up ivec could do much to intensify such a lazy volcano anyways, since it was already active, not dormant.

Hafrael said:
Black Marsh is ridiculously inhospitable, that's why there will never be a game there. Non-argonians cannot even survive walking around.
Only some parts of the Black Marsh are unreachable to non-argonians, I'm sure that Dremora could magic up some resist poison spells or artifacts, and at any rate, all atronachs have 100 poison resistance. It's explicitly mentioned to be the argonians who drive them back through military force, making them more formidable than the Imperial army. And they even beat them back into oblivion, and were *winning* until the Daedra called off the attack on the Black Marsh. They invaded Oblivion and were beating the Daedra on their home turf. They still had enough soldiers to genocide all of their non argonians in their territory and invade Morrowind.

Hafrael said:
The entirety of Telvani territory was salvaged. Almost all of eastern Morrowind, and eastern Vvardenfell was, and still is, under complete Telvani control.
I apologize for not being clear, when I said 'a few Telvanni pockets" I was referring to them as pockets in regards to the whole of morrowind- they are the last pockets of Dunmer left in power. (not counting the ones that fled to the tiny snow island.)

Hafrael said:
Morrowind was screwed from the get-go. When so much of your society is devoted to a trio of gods who suddenly lose their divinity, you're screwed.

The Argonians have an embarrassing history with military conflict, but they have never been successfully invaded. The Black Marsh is so poisonous it would be impossible. This is true even for the legions of Mehrunes Dagon.
On the contrary, the stage was set for the Dunmer to return to Aedra/Daedra worship. That's what all the stuff with the ashlanders, dissident priests, becoming Horator etc was about. With Amalexia gone, the Dunmer were effectively united under one very capable king, no longer had to worry about Dagoth Ur, and might have even had a shot at throwing off Imperial rule entirely after the oblivion crisis.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
DRes82 said:
McMullen said:
No game is worth doing what you're doing.
What, exactly, am I doing that isn't worth the game I'm playing? Hell, I took four days off of work to buy and play Skyrim. I logged about 50 hours over that time. Those four days were the first I've taken off from work in the last year. Sure, my wife was a little miffed that I didn't spend any time with her over the weekend...but in the end, she agreed I deserved a little vacation. So you see, your assumption was wrong and while Skyrim is very much providing a 'fulfilling existence' for me at the moment, I'm sure that I will be able to acclimate back to my real life with relative ease.

Oroboros said:
Hey man, I don't care if you hipsters buy it or not. I was simply pointing out that you'd be doing yourselves a disfavor if you didn't.
Flamebaiting, in other words. Got it.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
1. Saints Row 3
2. Minecraft
3. So many threads about it have been created that the mere sound of its name makes me ill.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, and I always feel weird jumping into a franchise late even if each chapter has little or nothing to do with the last. Additionally, I have, oh, six or seven other games I'm not playing right now because all I've been doing the passed two months is work, hit the gym, and come home crippled with exhaustion.

But seeing as DRes82 has such a palpable malice for hipsters, I feel obligated to break out my shades and play Persona 2: Innocent Sin on my PSP to try and offend him.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
I have no Xbox nor computer to play it on, and I'm not spending the money to get either.

Nelloney

Jun 8, 2010
I want to finish Morrowind and Oblivion first. Only just got into the Elder Scrolls series after the hype around Skyrim. So far I'm not dissapointed :) Just bought Oblivion on Steam during the mid-week madness for 5$

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Chromanin said:
But seeing as DRes82 has such a palpable malice for hipsters, I feel obligated to break out my shades and play Persona 2: Innocent Sin on my PSP to try and offend him.
Is it palpable? I feel like its more of a disdain than a malice. You won't offend me by playing Persona 2, I promise. Now, if you start playing a coffee shop builder or an indie band guitar sim, I might be offended.

Oroboros said:
No, you've got it wrong again. It was a friendly suggestion. Also, your post with all that Morrowind stuff made me want to reinstall and play it again.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
DRes82 said:
Chromanin said:
Is it palpable? I feel like its more of a disdain than a malice. You won't offend me by playing Persona 2, I promise. Now, if you start playing a coffee shop builder or an indie band guitar sim, I might be offended.

Oroboros said:
No, you've got it wrong again. It was a friendly suggestion. Also, your post with all that Morrowind stuff made me want to reinstall and play it again.
Going into a topic addressed to people who have not bought the game (whiel you yourself have and are thus not the target addressed in the first post), then proceeding to insult near everyone in the topic by calling them hipsters, and saying that you don't care if we buy it or not, and passing it off as 'advice' can in no terms be defined as 'friendly', but could quite accurately be described as 'trolling' or 'flamebaiting'.

On a friendlier note I too wish to reinstall Morrowind, unfortunately, my copy is in another city.