Why Games Will Only Get Cheaper

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Shuu said:
This is all good market science, but it does still come across a bit... not naive, but very... "optimistic".
As Mr. Sterling pointed out several weeks/months ago, should the industry eliminate the used market, competition is removed, and the publishers now have a monopoly, and monopolies can be very dangerous for the consumer.
That isn't true. The game publishers will compete with each other for our money still. Competition doesn't require a used market to exist. The hotdog industry isn't about to fall over because you can't eat my hamburger after I've consumed it. Well, not in any civilized manner that is...

I don't think Jim said it would eliminate competition either. Just that it would ultimately harm them as the used or discounted market is where people find a new series they care about after playing but otherwise wouldn't have tried for the first time at retail price.

Brotha Desmond said:
Games won't get cheaper with digital only. Since when did lack of competition lead to lower prices?
How is the second hand market more competition? You're talking about the same number of game publishers in both scenarios. There is no less competition. Why would you think that game stop is competing with a publisher like EA? All it's doing is taking EA's work and reselling it multiple times. Whether or not you agree with that practice it's still not competition. They aren't in the same market. Publishers are in the game software business, retailers are just that, retailers.

If you only had $60 bucks in your game buying account and had to choose between two games, let's say Bioshock Infinite and Dragon Age II. Let's also assume you actually like one of those more and they are the same price. You'll likely buy the one you want more. That's where competition in the gaming market is.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Respectfully, I must disagree with some points this article. I won't reiterate what has already been eloquently refuted, so here's a quick blurb.

So often, the arguments presented place the entire onus on the consumer. Bloated business practices are as much to blame as consumer demands.

I still don't believe games will get all that cheaper. They've been promising this forever, with little result. As Jim Sterling is wont to point out, EA stated years back how they said the market couldn't sustain a $60 model anymore, they had to go lower.

Well, they can't, to be sure, but neither have they lowered the prices. Instead, they often monetize an already premium priced product. I'll refrain from rambling further, because if I don't stop now, I'll end up writing a thesis on the subject.

I'll close by asking: why shouldn't consumers demand more for their money? Often, in these cases, competition breeds quality & value.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I find it funny you chose to note 75 versus 59.99usd, and then forgot to mention the in between period, for a decent time, in which new top price games cost 49.99. So 75, then 50 and then 60. Then again I also remember gobbling up adventure games in the late 80s and early 90s for the PC that cost anywhere from 10-30usd new, so, it's all relative. Prices tend to be specific to a particular format, those 75 dollar games were typically cartridge games which were just more expensive, overall, than a game off a floppy disc or CD ever was.

Maybe I am spoiled these days, but it doesn't change the fact that when a game gets knocked down to 5usd from a much higher price, off one of Valve insane sales, I'm a lot more likely to buy that than a 60usd game. It's just . . . common sense. If I can get just as much fun and content out of a 5usd game, why would I turn around and buy the 60usd game with no more content, and just as much fun? In all honesty, some of those 60usd games are so short, and railroad track linear compared to some of the cheaper games now that . . . it goes from common sense to being the outright choice, with exception in only the rarest of new games these days. Do I buy a supremely price reduced Fallout New Vegas (the edition that has all its DLC included, no less) at 5usd total, on Steam today, or do I buy the new 60usd linear shooter #3534634 that's 6 hours long?

Gee. I wonder.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
It's cheaper to sell games, and therefore prices will decrease? This doesn't explain why X-Box 360 Games On Demand and 3DS games in the online store (it's probably the case with other digital places, but I don't have experience) start off at £40 (the price of a brand new released game in the UK) and stays at that until quite a few years after release. Even then, it might drop to about £30. Between them saying "well, we can decrease the price and we may get more customers" and "we can keep the same price, or maybe increase it since we'll have no competition, and then use said money to line our pockets while making ever more expensive games, while complaining we didn't hit 3 million sales", I really think the latter is a lot more likely.

The article makes an assumption that I consider wrong: That businesses aren't cold calculating dicks that will find any way to make more money.

Dec 16, 2009
i'm sorry, but i struggled to get passed the second page. Had a whole "the developer will pass the savings on to you vibe" that I couldn't get into.

I will say, the difference between PC all digital and console all digital, is consoles are a closed system, so will have a monoply.

I can't comment on iTunes etc because I've never used it and don't listen to new music. Netflix/LoveFilm are great, as long as they have the film you wanna see. they don't you better hope its in your blu ray/dvd/VHS collection then

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
This is the same website that hosts The Jimquisition, right? I haven't stumbled upon some kind of weird Twilight Zone-esque nether-Escapist, have I? No? Same website? Weird.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Video games are a luxury, but the fact that they're charging us $60 for a new game, and then acting like we're ripping them off when we can't afford it just bothers me.

While looking to the past is something we should do, in this case I agree with many others, and say that the prices then are not really that relevant to prices now. Tech has come a long way, and should be easier and cheaper to make. VHSs used to be the price of Blurays, and even those are slowly coming down from their price point. Cartridges and discs are not equal and comparing them is like comparing, well VHS to DVD.

I honestly still believe that MS fucked up what could have been a revolutionary system with their install disc and done. If that price was lowered, even by $20, that's a 33% drop in price. That also would mean that, if it costs that much to install, that used games wouldn't be relevant until they dropped the price of the installation. That would require less discs, more new game sales, and so on.

Prices aren't going to get better in the industry until either the publishers and what not are willing to just start lowering game prices, or gamers finally take the stand and say enough is enough, and only buy new games under a certain price, or just stop buying new until this gets fixed. Either way, it's going to be a bloody mess until then. I just wish that they'd create a full game, and instead of punishing those who don't spend that initial 60 to get a full game, would sell full games, and reward those who do buy it with extra things. Like if Madden gave you a $5 discount when you buy the following years game, and then let them stack up to a certain point or something. Or something like the season pass, only you get a X% discount on all DLCs/pack, rather than having to pay a lump sum. I'm probably off topic, but the whole issue of price is about as complicated, at least in my eyes, as the Games are Art debate. There's a billion ideas for/against pricing, but no one has the balls to lead their side to the realm of hope and change.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For anyone that ever complains that games are expensive just way a few months after release instead of pre-ordering the damn game. Suddenly it goes from 60$ to 15$.

Rush Syks

Jan 29, 2013
Reading all the replies here I get the strong feeling we are comparing apples and oranges here. The author of the artice cleary drew his visions from the PC market whereas the commenters mostly base their reactions on consoles.

The big difference is, that on the PC there is no such thing as a monopoly. Sure, sometimes STEAM looks like one, but it isn't. There's Origin, Amazon and Uplay from the big boys and lots of smaller reselleres who sell fully legal and functional keys for STEAM etc. In the last 4 years I didn't buy a single game at full price during release, I paid something around 30-40 bucks and if you wait for 3-5 months you see AAA titles for below 25 (happend with Bioshock Infinte and Tomb Raider recently). So yeah, you lose the right to resell, but you pay prices you would hardly reach even if you resold almost instantly and can replay the gamestheoretically infinte.

If you ask me, the big consoles as we know them (Sony, Microsoft) will soon die out, because the ease of use is going away, the hardware per dollar advantage earlier generations had over the PC is decreasing, meanwhile PC gaming is getting easier by the day. Sure you'll still have easy to use, preconfigured plattforms but they won't be as limited. Classic example: Why can't you use Mouse and Keyboard with a console. Don't get me wrong, I know many don't even want it, but the Option wouldn't hurt anyone (Multiplayer could have seperate lobbies).

I think the author is on to something, you simply shouldn't make the mistake to assume that all the big players from today will still be big in 10 years. Many other industries made that mistake, let's not make it again.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Everything always focuses on economics these days, and that really makes me sad.

Copyright, in it's earliest incarnations had built into it notions that giving people an economic incentive to release their work to the public was for the greater good. Not just the enrichment of the individual, but the enrichment of society as a whole.
This is also why there was a fundamental understanding that works would become public domain at some point.

This was in fact the whole point. - The granting of short-term monopoly rights as compensation, but with the understanding that what you were ultimately doing was giving your work to society at large.

Anyway, killing used sales destroys much of this.
Because now, the only value something has is that which it can be sold for.
And if it can't be sold, it's worthless, and will be lost for all eternity?

A while ago someone argued that maybe some things aren't worth saving, and thus we shouldn't worry about all kinds of legal and technical restrictions on the ability to copy things. And perhaps that is true in a sense. But leaving this up to the copyright holders is pretty dubious.

Shakespeare doesn't survive into the modern era because of it's Author, or even the early publishers.

It survives because people found it valuable enough to look after certain copies of it. (Or even make more copies, whether allowed to do so or not.)

Economic concerns run counter to this.
And we run the risk of losing a whole heap of things because their creators saw no value in them other than the money they made, and no-one else was allowed to copy them... So as soon as they stopped making money, they were lost.

And before you say that won't happen... It has already. - Many early filmed works are gone now, through a combination of the fact that they were created originally by people only interested in money, laws, and the fragility of celluloid film...

But hey, all that matters is money, right?
That's what seems to be shouted at me from every angle these days.

Economy! Money! Finance! Profits...!

Nothing which does not make a profit has any value, or any right to be looked after... What a horrible situation we've created here with the worship of profit above all else...

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
grumpymooselion said:
Prices tend to be specific to a particular format, those 75 dollar games were typically cartridge games which were just more expensive, overall, than a game off a floppy disc or CD ever was.
That's a big point actually, that's easy to overlook.
The 'manufacturing' cost for a single copy digital download is for all intents and purposes $0
For a CD/DVD/Blu-ray based game the disk costs about $0.10 (cases and manuals increase the cost a little.)
For an old-style cartridge based game, the cartridge alone can cost anything from about $12-35 in and of itself.

If you take that into consideration... disk based games are pretty expensive by comparison. (Since the cost of the storage media is lower, a larger proportion of the cost must, logically be the game itself.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I would rather pay more for physical content that doesn't need to be stored on a hard drive and can be passed around with ease than pay less for a convenient but ultimately limited format.
A critique of the "we're all going to go digital" is the current limitations of the Internet. Things change fast. Only 10 years ago, cable Internet was not available in my area, I had dial-up and used "Netzero" to get my email and not much else. Now I have two wireless routers at either end of my house and can watch HD Netflix on a number of devices simultaneously. I hears a lot of Asia is skipping the wired infrastructure and going straight to wireless. Imagine the possibility: 10 years from now, rather than spotty 4G, there's 10G everywhere, and it is as fast as today's cable modems with no caps. I think it can happen.

And, I'm not worried about storage space. My first 486SX25 had a 200 Meg hard drive. I thought that was all the room in the world. Today we realize that is 1/3 a blank CD. 3.5" Hard Drives are up to 3 TB now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396

Convenience? Nothing scratches my itch for instant gratification than checking my email and seeing I can download a game that cost $60 6 months ago for $10 now. If you didn't buy it then, it is new to you.

And, I'm not worried about sharing. Just Cause 2 selling for $2.99 at Steam? Let my friends buy their own copy. Or, wait for me to download it at their home and they can try it on my account.

Consoles will follow. It'll be hard. Developers hated 720p. Development doubled from what it was producing 480i games. But there is big money out there and more competition than ever before.

My biggest fear with consoles: they are proprietary. If I buy the Xbone, I can only get games they offer, which may be $100 a piece. I've already invested a ton in the system. I have to buy games on their terms. Today, they will allow for used games. Tomorrow, a mere download update can wipe out that ability.

I still love console gaming too. I'm going to risk it with one or two of them (maybe an Xbone in one room, PS4 in another.) But I think we consumers are all going to love the competition bringing better, less expensive games to us.

LeenaV

Jun 20, 2013
Sorry, it's all about cutting out the middleman.

In order for Microsoft to sell a game at $60, it actually has to sell it to a distributor for *pulls numbers from the air* $30, who then sells it to a retail store for $45, who then sells it to the customer for $60.

Microsoft then looks at that and says, "Why can't we get the whole $60? Let's just do a direct download service to not only save on DVD printing and packaging costs, but we also don't have to have any middlemen getting a share - we'll charge the regular price, $60, and almost double the money we pull in for each game."

That's what they've wanted to do for years. That's what the push is going to be for, so why would they lower prices in that instance? Since when has a corporation ever turned down possible profits because it's making too much money? The whole purpose of a corporation's existence is to make as much money a possible for shareholders. If they are willing to ruin millions of families by sending jobs overseas because they can pay their workers a tenth of what they have to pay their unionized workers, what in the world makes anyone think that just because their costs go down that their prices will go down, too?

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
So many problems here...

Consumers demand more substance from the newest games, but aren't willing to pay more for the base product.
Substance is not what we're getting from all of that extra money being spent. What we're getting is "cinematic" gameplay, which is the reliance on scripted sequences, voice acting, motion capture, and constant cutscenes over substantive mechanics and gameplay.

Baldur's Gate had more substance than a dozen Call of Dutys and cost far, far less to make.

For example, it's assumed that when you buy a brand new car, you will be able to recoup some of that money later when you sell it used, unless you're the type to buy a new car and then drive it until it melts into a pile of rusty goo. Because of that understanding, the dealership is able to charge you more without ripping you off. Well, they probably still rip you off, but you get what I mean. A used game is an asset the same as a used car.
Car dealerships aren't charging people any extra because of the car's resale value. Prices in a competitive market are driven lower until the point where the profits being made by the competitors is no longer enticing enough to bring new competitors to the market, and where the existing competitors start valuing profit margins per sale over trying to grab more market share.

So think about it this way: If you didn't care about keeping a collection and had the spare time, you could easily play brand new games for a fraction of the cost. Buy it new for $60, sell it used for $30 in a couple weeks. Even Gamestop will pay you that much, or more, soon after release, and they once offered me a quarter for the one sports game I ever bought. As the "new" price of the game goes down, so does the proportional "used" price, because the used amount is always included in the price. There's an assumed value that's getting tacked on.
Again, that's not how pricing works at all. Publishers seek to place themselves on the most advantageous spot on the demand curve, where the increased margin for raising the price no longer offsets the decreased number of sales, and the increased number of sales would no longer offset the decrease in margins for lowering the price. How used game sales interact with that demand curve is far more complex than you seem to understand.

Having used copies for sale puts new copies into competition with them. The higher the industry prices its games, the more likely people are to go for used for a discount, and the more likely they are to re-sell them in order to recoup costs. People who are willing to pay $60 for a game but who buy used because they value the extra $5 they save over having a new copy would be forced to buy new if used game sales went away.

Meanwhile, used games existing isn't holding publishers back from lowering prices to try to increase volume. Used game sales are limited by two things- availability of used copies, and people's desire to simply have a new copy. Reducing new prices would decrease used prices, therefore allowing people who weren't buying at the higher price to absorb the stock of used games. People who buy new would but didn't want to buy at the higher price will now buy at the lower price.

Used games affect the publisher's current chosen spot on the demand curve in both negative and positive ways. You can't just subtract the resale value from the price of a new game, call it the new spot on the curve, and have any idea what you're talking about.

So we have no more used games, and the prices go down. What if we go all digital? Well, we can look at the PC market to see that this has already resulted in huge price cuts. Without boxes and shipping, publishers have the freedom to cut out a lot of the middleman costs and provide the savings to you. Obviously, Steam represents the epitome of the "I'll just buy this because it's so cheap, even though I'll never play it" style of marketing. But we are starting to see the fruition of new download services like Gamefly and Origin, whose competition will further reduce prices. Since you can't really resell digital games, the resale value is also eliminated from the price
Low prices on Steam are the result of something called "Price Discrimination". Publishers want to sell each copy of their game for the highest price that each buyer is willing to pay. Since they can't read minds, they resort to lowering prices as the game gets older. People who really wanted the game buy when the game is released, since they're willing to pay $60. People who don't care much about the game wait until it's $5 on Steam. There's a good reason they're not starting off at $5- they'd be leaving too much money on the table, and wouldn't be making enough revenue to keep the lights on.

The important thing here is that there's nothing stopping digital versions from being sold for $5 while boxed copies are still on the shelf selling for $30. Retail can only go so low, but its existence -along with the existence of used games that come along with it- aren't holding back publishers from going to those prices for digital. In fact, they make it easier- since some people value box copies, it's a perfect discriminator to get some people to pay $30 for a game while others are only paying $5.

Eliminating boxed copies would only hamper publishers' ability to engage in price discrimination, therefore lessening the chance you'll see a game for sale for $5 on Steam nearly as fast.

Sorry to quote a long post, but all of this is important, and shows a much more accurate understanding of prices than the article. 'resale value' isn't something with production costs that firms need to recoup. New prices are pushed up by resale because consumers value it. Prices of items without resale possibility aren't lower because they somehow cost less to make. Even if they did cost less to make, that wouldn't lower the price naturally unless we were talking about a perfectly competitive market with many firms and undifferentiated products, which video games very much aren't. No, if items without resale value are priced lower, it's only because consumers aren't willing to pay as much for them.

And when you get down to it, that's what sets the prices of games. What consumers are willing to pay. With real income significantly down over the last few decades, and with a new generation entering adulthood pre-saddled with crippling debt and paying dozens of 'reasonable' monthly service bills that their parents never saw further weighing on their already depressed salaries, the amount of games they're going to be willing to buy, and the amount they're going to be willing to pay for them, will only go down.

That's the driving force that will keep the cost of games in check, and the bloated, stagnant, inefficient, and unwieldy triple A publishing and development industry is going to need to adapt to it or they're going to fail.

There are a lot of people who have this weird leap of logic that says 'all businesses are trying to make money, therefore every decision made by a business is the correct decision that will make the most money', as though corporate behemoths are inherently omniscient. They're not. Publishers losing money on games that sell well due to insanely overinflated budgets, Microsoft getting smacked down by consumers furious over anti-consumer policies, these aren't cases of the market failing or of consumers failing. These are cases of firms ignoring reality, ignoring their consumers, over-reaching, and getting smacked down hard. It's the market working as it should.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Sorry, this got kinda long and I didn't want to clog the thread. I hope I didn't come off as too ranty

Gorfias said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I would rather pay more for physical content that doesn't need to be stored on a hard drive and can be passed around with ease than pay less for a convenient but ultimately limited format.
A critique of the "we're all going to go digital" is the current limitations of the Internet
Not for me. My 10 meg down connection is fine. How long it takes to get the content in the first place doesn't really bother me. I care about what I can do with the content once I get it

And, I'm not worried about storage space. My first 486SX25 had a 200 Meg hard drive. I thought that was all the room in the world. Today we realize that is 1/3 a blank CD. 3.5" Hard Drives are up to 3 TB now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396
I wouldn't be concerned about space if everything didn't have drm. I only have a 500 gig hard drive in my laptop right now, if I could compress and store and play all my content easily on an external drive then it wouldn't bother me. 3 terabytes is a lot but now that both consoles are using huge 50-100 gig blue ray drives you could suddenly see yourself filling up your desktop's hard disk rather quick. Uncharted 3 I believe was about 40 gigs. Same goes for Internet speeds. Suddenly your downloads are going to be a bit longer

Convenience? Nothing scratches my itch for instant gratification than checking my email and seeing I can download a game that cost $60 6 months ago for $10 now. If you didn't buy it then, it is new to you.
I agree. Its one of the perks of using Steam. Until every pub gets their own distribution service like Uplay and Origin and has full control over the price of their games

And, I'm not worried about sharing. Just Cause 2 selling for $2.99 at Steam? Let my friends buy their own copy. Or, wait for me to download it at their home and they can try it on my account.
I disagree. Its my game and I want to do whatever I want with it. What if my friends need some convincing that Just Cause 2 is good? I can bring the game to them and they can try it out. A few months ago, a friend of mine came over and brought Persona 4: Arena and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He told me he prefers his fighting games digital for convenience which was great cause I wanted to buy the game so I bought his copy from him at full price (as opposed to $20 from gamestop) and he downloaded a digital one

Consoles will follow. It'll be hard. Developers hated 720p. Development doubled from what it was producing 480i games. But there is big money out there and more competition than ever before.

My biggest fear with consoles: they are proprietary. If I buy the Xbone, I can only get games they offer, which may be $100 a piece. I've already invested a ton in the system. I have to buy games on their terms. Today, they will allow for used games. Tomorrow, a mere download update can wipe out that ability.

I still love console gaming too. I'm going to risk it with one or two of them (maybe an Xbone in one room, PS4 in another.) But I think we consumers are all going to love the competition bringing better, less expensive games to us.
I don't want consoles to follow. I like the feel of opening a new game and knowing that a game I haven't played in months or years only needs to slapped back into the disk drive to be played as opposed to downloaded again. I like being able to look at a physical library and being able to share that with friends. Consoles don't need drm or digital only because if someone wanted to pirate all their games they would have gotten a pc in the first place. Though I do agree that the competition between devices could lead to some cool things kinda like the features Sony added to ps+ in order to compete with Microsoft next gen

My issue is that any download service that revolves around drm like Steam is that they can change their terms of service at anytime and if you don't agree, then you can say goodbye to your game library. Besides, Steam is great now but what about 10, 20, or 30 years from now? How can you guarantee that Steam's service won't go down the pooper and you'll want to move onto the next best service? All your content will be locked onto Steam. With digital distribution you're basically investing into a service and hoping it doesn't go tits up. DRM is just a scam to get you buy things in as many formats as possible. Its why digital download video services have the bullshit of being limited to specific devices

Not to mention even Steam uses online drm checks once a month. I like how I can plug my gamecube in once or twice a year and play some Super Smash Brothers Melee with my friends. I don't need to be concerned about Nintendo's servers and having to stop to connect online before I play

If you haven't taken away from this yet, I use Steam frequently because it is convenient. I don't care if I lose access to some games in the future or lose some small amount of control if I didn't pay much (which is why I said I'd rather pay more for physical). I love being able to download older games I never tried like Kotor 2 for cheap or finding a game that peaked my interest but not enough to buy full price so I can wait for it to be $5. Hell, all my psvita games are digital so I can carry my library with me. But when it comes to new titles with barely a discount on Steam, I buy them physically for consoles because of the reasons I stated above. I don't need convincing that digital is good because I use it a lot. I just want options and if I lose the freedom of disks and physical media then I can get a much better service from The Pirate Bay

TLRD: I think disks/physical media is about as close to drm-free as we can get (barring GoG)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Calling gamers spoiled simply because the metric shifted is kind of ridiculous. It's also ridiculous to straight up assume that inflation is the be-all of monetary metrics. Adjusted for inflation, the standard minimum wage job is several dollars an hour less than when Street Fighter 2 dropped and costs for things needed to, you know, live have gone up. Further, with high-paying jobs going overseas, the media age for minimum wage jobs is rising. It will be in the thirties soon, if it isn't already.

Games will get cheaper. In a vacuum. Congratulations, you've said something completely useless. But this is a thing, a pervasive theme in gaming culture right now. Why? We seem to, as a whole, enjoy making excuses for gaming. It's also more simple to compare one number.

Kids these days are spoiled because games are cheaper if you take out factors other than inflation.
Americans are spoiled because games are ostensibly cheaper than other industrial nations, despite it taking more man-hours (in most cases, I don't know about every)

And we tend to use outliers to justify it, making the disparity more ridiculous.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I think console gamers are just plain getting screwed by needing to own a physical copy of the game. As a gamer, I want lots and lots of games, and with Steam I can have lots of affordable games. Console gamers are currently not enjoying that luxury all because they feel they need a physical disk to own or trade. Game stores usually give terrible trade-in values for used games.
It reminds me of these guys who have huge collections of movies on DVD. What for? Most movies are crap that you only want to see once, aren't they? Nobody is impressed by your collection of bad movies, trust me. Want lots and lots of cheap games? Get a PC and a Steam account and stop playing that $60 game over and over on your console.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
So many problems here...

Consumers demand more substance from the newest games, but aren't willing to pay more for the base product.
Substance is not what we're getting from all of that extra money being spent. What we're getting is "cinematic" gameplay, which is the reliance on scripted sequences, voice acting, motion capture, and constant cutscenes over substantive mechanics and gameplay.

Baldur's Gate had more substance than a dozen Call of Dutys and cost far, far less to make.

For example, it's assumed that when you buy a brand new car, you will be able to recoup some of that money later when you sell it used, unless you're the type to buy a new car and then drive it until it melts into a pile of rusty goo. Because of that understanding, the dealership is able to charge you more without ripping you off. Well, they probably still rip you off, but you get what I mean. A used game is an asset the same as a used car.
Car dealerships aren't charging people any extra because of the car's resale value. Prices in a competitive market are driven lower until the point where the profits being made by the competitors is no longer enticing enough to bring new competitors to the market, and where the existing competitors start valuing profit margins per sale over trying to grab more market share.

So think about it this way: If you didn't care about keeping a collection and had the spare time, you could easily play brand new games for a fraction of the cost. Buy it new for $60, sell it used for $30 in a couple weeks. Even Gamestop will pay you that much, or more, soon after release, and they once offered me a quarter for the one sports game I ever bought. As the "new" price of the game goes down, so does the proportional "used" price, because the used amount is always included in the price. There's an assumed value that's getting tacked on.
Again, that's not how pricing works at all. Publishers seek to place themselves on the most advantageous spot on the demand curve, where the increased margin for raising the price no longer offsets the decreased number of sales, and the increased number of sales would no longer offset the decrease in margins for lowering the price. How used game sales interact with that demand curve is far more complex than you seem to understand.

Having used copies for sale puts new copies into competition with them. The higher the industry prices its games, the more likely people are to go for used for a discount, and the more likely they are to re-sell them in order to recoup costs. People who are willing to pay $60 for a game but who buy used because they value the extra $5 they save over having a new copy would be forced to buy new if used game sales went away.

Meanwhile, used games existing isn't holding publishers back from lowering prices to try to increase volume. Used game sales are limited by two things- availability of used copies, and people's desire to simply have a new copy. Reducing new prices would decrease used prices, therefore allowing people who weren't buying at the higher price to absorb the stock of used games. People who buy new would but didn't want to buy at the higher price will now buy at the lower price.

Used games affect the publisher's current chosen spot on the demand curve in both negative and positive ways. You can't just subtract the resale value from the price of a new game, call it the new spot on the curve, and have any idea what you're talking about.

So we have no more used games, and the prices go down. What if we go all digital? Well, we can look at the PC market to see that this has already resulted in huge price cuts. Without boxes and shipping, publishers have the freedom to cut out a lot of the middleman costs and provide the savings to you. Obviously, Steam represents the epitome of the "I'll just buy this because it's so cheap, even though I'll never play it" style of marketing. But we are starting to see the fruition of new download services like Gamefly and Origin, whose competition will further reduce prices. Since you can't really resell digital games, the resale value is also eliminated from the price
Low prices on Steam are the result of something called "Price Discrimination". Publishers want to sell each copy of their game for the highest price that each buyer is willing to pay. Since they can't read minds, they resort to lowering prices as the game gets older. People who really wanted the game buy when the game is released, since they're willing to pay $60. People who don't care much about the game wait until it's $5 on Steam. There's a good reason they're not starting off at $5- they'd be leaving too much money on the table, and wouldn't be making enough revenue to keep the lights on.

The important thing here is that there's nothing stopping digital versions from being sold for $5 while boxed copies are still on the shelf selling for $30. Retail can only go so low, but its existence -along with the existence of used games that come along with it- aren't holding back publishers from going to those prices for digital. In fact, they make it easier- since some people value box copies, it's a perfect discriminator to get some people to pay $30 for a game while others are only paying $5.

Eliminating boxed copies would only hamper publishers' ability to engage in price discrimination, therefore lessening the chance you'll see a game for sale for $5 on Steam nearly as fast.
Welp, after reading I was about to point out every single fallacy / downright inaccuracy in this article, but it seems you've got that covered - and pretty much everyone else already pointed out that raw inflation is much less important than % of disposable income.

Chris Rio

Jul 19, 2012
Wow. Apparently this blew up a little bit. So much that I'm compelled to respond one more time. Yay!

I really, really think a lot of people saw the title and just decided to comment without reading. Because some of you are arguing the same things as me and then saying that I missed something. For example:

Sorry to quote a long post, but all of this is important, and shows a much more accurate understanding of prices than the article. 'resale value' isn't something with production costs that firms need to recoup. New prices are pushed up by resale because consumers value it. Prices of items without resale possibility aren't lower because they somehow cost less to make. Even if they did cost less to make, that wouldn't lower the price naturally unless we were talking about a perfectly competitive market with many firms and undifferentiated products, which video games very much aren't. No, if items without resale value are priced lower, it's only because consumers aren't willing to pay as much for them.

And when you get down to it, that's what sets the prices of games. What consumers are willing to pay. With real income significantly down over the last few decades, and with a new generation entering adulthood pre-saddled with crippling debt and paying dozens of 'reasonable' monthly service bills that their parents never saw further weighing on their already depressed salaries, the amount of games they're going to be willing to buy, and the amount they're going to be willing to pay for them, will only go down.

That's the driving force that will keep the cost of games in check, and the bloated, stagnant, inefficient, and unwieldy triple A publishing and development industry is going to need to adapt to it or they're going to fail.
Um. This is LITERALLY MY POINT. Of course Microsoft isn't sitting around a table saying "Gee, we should really pass some savings onto the consumer. We're so nice. Big Hugs all around!" It all has to do with what people are willing to pay. The "resale value" of an object is not a literal amount tacked on, it simply means that if we couldn't sell things to other people we wouldn't be willing to pay as much for them. As someone above said, would you care that you couldn't share a Steam copy of Just Cause 2 if it only cost $2.99? My entire conclusion is that devs and pubs need to adapt to this and take advantage of the changing market.

Again, I'm the consumer here, saying, "well game companies are probably going to try to screw us out of controlling our content even more than they already are, but at least it looks like cheaper technology and competition are gonna keep prices down. Hold on one second, let me just rent a song on iTunes's almost-monopolistic service that I love so much for it's convenience. OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE!"