Why has this never been an FPS?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Fore more realism I'd check out Operation Flashpoint. However i came to the conclusion that if realism makes the game less fun, why bother. If you really want something that realistic, go sign up to the army. Your d-pad will be replaced with much more accurate M4. Your fictional boot camp which hardly teaches you about being a real soldier will be replaced by a real boot camp. Lastly, and most luckily you won't have to get annoyed at regenerating heath as when you get shot, you will hurt :D Unless your wolverine, in which case thats awesome.

I actually prefer the idea of being the one man army, for me it makes me less annoyed at idiotic AI. Take MW2 for example, when playing as a regular US soldier you ever realised your taking on a mountain of troops as one man yourself, however on Halo games that makes sense... your a super soldier. Sadly i don't think a more realistic game will solve that, as AI isn't that smart and they will always target you before their damned AI counterparts on your side. It's a damned conspiracy.

Flying Pilgrim

Apr 24, 2009
I guess it is so they can have more interesting battles and missions,if you played a war game as a average grunt it would play out like this
You spend 90 hours carrying ammo and on patrol before you encounter enemy contact,the hostiles begin open-fire and you get shot and wounded then you spend the rest of the game in recovery.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
In Call of Duty 4 you were just some nobody for part of the time. Do you know what happens to him? He gets hit with a nuke!

also

If you want to play a game where you are just some average person, why not just go outside?

Bobobble

May 23, 2009
If you want a realistic war game go on Onion News Network and look at the video they made about Modern Warfare 3.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
Ghost recon: tropic thunder..?
pretty damn realistic, but your are a SEAL team, bad team movement means you are dead really quickly, like less than 5min in, and it is a genuine challenge to play it and get your team back in 1 piece.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
The guys making "Six Days in Fallujah" are claiming its going to be as realistic as can be. and because of which, its getting lots of flak from people who think its going to glamorize the hell those guys went through in that battle.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
If you wanted a FPS like that, join the fucking military. That's about as first person as it gets in the 'realistic' genre. A game like that would be a gaming company mistake, like if subway started offering a fucking lima-bean and cat hair sandwich. No taste, all suck.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I dunno you might be on to something. Yeah... i can see it now. It starts of with you in your base tent on your own jacking off to relieve stress, this could be an interactive mini game. Then you wipe yourself and get dressed and kitted out and tie your boot laces. What follows is some tough love from your squadmates as you psych yourselves up before you move out.

Before you know it your in the field with your squad been shot at by untrained miltia and after you fire off your first few shots you get your first battle high and thats when you realise you've just shot a child armed with a replica weaopon (those dastardly bastards). From then on the game becomes a struggle to come to terms with the death that surrounds you. The game ends when you finish the mission and go back to base and fall apart as you can't deal with the events that just passed... or theres the alternate ending where you get shot and bleed out slowly and die... then the game quits and uninstalls and never lets you play it again BECAUSE YOUR DEAD. (console versions just play a black screen whenever you try to tun it again)

... might be a bit controversial.

Edit: i'm not angry or anything i just had a similar discussion with some friends recently and this was the general response. Our idea was quite elaborate when we finsihed talking about it.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
It does exist.

It's called Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.
I love that game. Also, thanks for not saying ''Because it wouldn't be fun.'' That's not the best answer in the thread.

CwC puts you into the shoes of several rookies and then you follow orders. On some occasions you'll be a slightly higher rank and you'll be leading. This is the kind of game where there's no single hero, since you'll be sniped before you know it.

But we don't really play games because they're perfectly realistic, if they were they'd be a bit tedious. Obviously a game that's tedious and boring isn't fun.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Because it would look like this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
How come when you die, you come back to life, but when the other grunts die, they are gone. I mean, your both just worthless grunts right?

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
That wouldn't be realistic, you wouldn't jump off your boat get the medal of honor then get promoted to captain. The highest rank of an enlisted serviceman isn't even a title i think(ask someone who knows for sure), E-9 is what i'm reading online is the highest rank. If you were to be a higher rank then that you would be an officer and not a grunt. Most officers sit at a desk and most enlisted serviceman do the actual fighting.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I think the more important question is this: You know how in those FPS' were there is a tyrannical government (usually with better equipment, and more stylish armor then you) with a resistance trying to topple it, and you are naturally always siding with the resistance? My question is, what if you actually played as apart of the 'bad-guys' trying to whipe out the resistance. Sure, its a bit petty but..hey, its something i wouldn't mind seeing happen.