Why I play Dungeons and Dragons Online

lerincho

Mar 25, 2009
ntomlin, actually it's not that they make their concentration check, there is NO concentration check for mobs, period.

PhoenixFire31

Mar 23, 2009
There is one...I've interupted plenty of casters castings...but you need to deal massive damage. My crits tend to do the trick on fighter and my monk.

silverdraggie

Mar 21, 2008
ntomlin63 said:
Oh by the way, don't get the wrong idea there are things I dislike about my favorite game. I am not trying to whitewash or snowjob anything. My two biggest pet peeves are enemy casters always seem to make their concentration checks and they never ever ever seem to run out of spell points the way PC casters do.
Actually they don't have to make concentration checks ever, and they regen mana so fast they might as well have infinite.

Reasons. Any mob you can make flinch if you do enough damage. If they flinch they can't cast. So if you cause them to flinch while casting that interrupts their spell. Flinching can occur on any NPC, Red and Purple named included. I've been lucky with the rolls before to make that boss just sit there and take it for several seconds.

Mana regen.. Given the AI is going to try to kill you. It makes little sense for the npc to have limited mana for you to just stay out of range until the caster is out of mana for you to just waltz over to kill it. Are you, a player, going to waste your spell points? Nope. The AI is going to waste its spell points trying to kill you? In a manner of speaking yeap. It WILL try its best to kill you. So if the shots aren't making it, it will try to get to a point it thinks it can and try again. AIs are NOT easy to program.

It becomes a case of "You the player must be smarter than the AI." Not to difficult a task for any of us.

Whippo

Mar 27, 2009
Axman said:
doctorwhofan said:
DDO isn't for everyone. Really, any player can tell you that, but it is worth trying out.

-edit- I didn't spot this, but you can multi-class in DDO.
Aye, that is part of the massive character customization that DDO brings to the table.

Also DDO has a VERY steep learning curve, it is impossible to grasp the nuances of the game in just a few short days.
DDO players are some of the most intelligent, helpful, and friendly players online. Also some of the best strategists.
This is very well put, the game isn't for everyone as its complicated in some ways at first, it takes a while to grasp all the different layers of character creation/building, but try it out, the community is great and most people will happily help you along, and give you any advice you might need.

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
silverdraggie said:
ntomlin63 said:
Oh by the way, don't get the wrong idea there are things I dislike about my favorite game. I am not trying to whitewash or snowjob anything. My two biggest pet peeves are enemy casters always seem to make their concentration checks and they never ever ever seem to run out of spell points the way PC casters do.
Actually they don't have to make concentration checks ever, and they regen mana so fast they might as well have infinite.

Reasons. Any mob you can make flinch if you do enough damage. If they flinch they can't cast. So if you cause them to flinch while casting that interrupts their spell. Flinching can occur on any NPC, Red and Purple named included. I've been lucky with the rolls before to make that boss just sit there and take it for several seconds.

Mana regen.. Given the AI is going to try to kill you. It makes little sense for the npc to have limited mana for you to just stay out of range until the caster is out of mana for you to just waltz over to kill it. Are you, a player, going to waste your spell points? Nope. The AI is going to waste its spell points trying to kill you? In a manner of speaking yeap. It WILL try its best to kill you. So if the shots aren't making it, it will try to get to a point it thinks it can and try again. AIs are NOT easy to program.

It becomes a case of "You the player must be smarter than the AI." Not to difficult a task for any of us.
Here's the answer!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLT0Vwrc_M

Whippo

Mar 27, 2009
epaulet said:
I was downloading when I read this thread:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=166202

I stopped the download for now... so you can permanently make your character poorly built just because Turbine decides to balance the game? Why would I invest too much time into a character who I can't respec?
DDO players may have shown up here to vote for the game they love, but make no mistake, they hold turbine accountable for everything. Threads like the one you pointed out are a regular occurance (topic varying of course).

Truth be told you can partially respec your character as it is. There are a number of layers to a build in DDO, stats, skills and feats. When you are first starting the game, the character creater will help you with your stats by giving you suggestions, and helping you through leveling up so it is unlikely you could mess up too bad on these, and once you have made one character and understand the game better you will quickly pick up how to build your next toon stat-wise. As for feats, well other than ones that are automatically granted, they ARE completely respecable at anytime and any level. The skill points I think would be a little harder. Skill points are based off your Int base and character class. So say you started off with a 10 int, on a fighter, you would get 2 skill points per level, if that fighter then ate a +2 int tome (adds base stat) then the next time they leveled up they would get +3 skill points, as their base int was now 12. I imagine its kinda hard to back track and figure out when a character thats 3 years old ate that +2 tome and credit back skill points per level accordingly.

They might do something in the future I don't know, but don't let threads like this put you off a great game. Yes, it has its faults, but overall its fab.

DDOAndora

Mar 19, 2009
epaulet said:

I stopped the download for now... so you can permanently make your character poorly built just because Turbine decides to balance the game? Why would I invest too much time into a character who I can't respec?
Down load away. Will your first character need to be re-rolled? Maybe. Will it matter? No. I still have my trial account cleric after three years. For the most part that thread is just like any game forum thread, small bits of truth with large amounts of bs. Getting to level 16 is fairly fast and easy, the fear for many is level 20 will not be fast and easy. Some have taken game weakness and used them to fair advantage, I can understand that, but when the weakness is fixed.... well think about it.

A newer player has nothing to fear with this. Fact is some use the "help newer players" angle to try and wrangle what they want from the devs. Think about when you where a kid and wanted ice cream when you have been told no.

Quanefel

Nov 17, 2006
epaulet said:
lerincho said:
epaulet said:

there are 4 different version of character planners that players have created. there are enough tools that you can use prior to doing anything within game, to help elimnate errors.

I have characters that have been effected by these changes, and there is always something new you learn you can do from the one you believe to be "broken".
While I've always adapted to changes in a game rather than complain. Reason for adapting is simply that you can always change it up a bit. Sure you can always make the best out of the changes, but that's not quite the same.

I don't think anything in MMOs except for things like your characters race/sex/class (although maybe not the last one here because of multi classing) should be permanent. Even at great pain, there should be a way to change your character if you do indeed mess up, whether it was your fault or not. I really don't know if I can commit to working on a character only to have my hopes at making the character I want shattered because of a change.

You're a DDO player, nice try. A Full Respec aint happening.

ghirmeshk

Mar 27, 2009
Quanefel said:
epaulet said:
lerincho said:
epaulet said:

there are 4 different version of character planners that players have created. there are enough tools that you can use prior to doing anything within game, to help elimnate errors.

I have characters that have been effected by these changes, and there is always something new you learn you can do from the one you believe to be "broken".
While I've always adapted to changes in a game rather than complain. Reason for adapting is simply that you can always change it up a bit. Sure you can always make the best out of the changes, but that's not quite the same.

I don't think anything in MMOs except for things like your characters race/sex/class (although maybe not the last one here because of multi classing) should be permanent. Even at great pain, there should be a way to change your character if you do indeed mess up, whether it was your fault or not. I really don't know if I can commit to working on a character only to have my hopes at making the character I want shattered because of a change.

Hey Q! This is one of the things I love about this game . . . yes we have server pride, yes we have guild pride, but above all of that we have DDO pride. I am so proud to see so many of our community members talking about our game on this fine site. I think our passion has been communicated well (and some of our critiques of the game as well). I hope some of the Escapist community will consider coming to try us out. We'd love to have you.

radioedit420

Mar 23, 2009
Im another that was familiar w/ the PnP Dnd. I was used to playing AD&D with my cousin and thats been about 7 years now..
I love DDO, its the only MMORPG that has kept me interested, and playing. I do wish there was a bit more of a story to it though. I know thats hard to do with an MMO, but I feel that coming from a P&P session im so used to (expecting?) a great vivid story.
Dont get me wrong, its an awesome game

sisterjinx

Mar 23, 2009
I can't explain to someone who hasn't played how addicting this game really is. Hubby and I often call it chat.. with a sword. The voice chat capability really makes this game so much more exciting for me. Meeting people from all over the world and talking with them as if they were right next to you. And in a way they are.

You become a part of the world and a part of your character.

I love that somedays I might be beating on something with my bastard swords and other days I might be blasting stuff with spells.

I love that I don't have to give the monsters a turn and wait for mine. We are both hitting each other and may the best creature win.

I love that this game makes you THINK. I mean really THINK. There are strategies to be considered, puzzles to be solved, party members to watch out for, buffs to be handed out as needed, and it's all got to be thought out in order to complete each quest with the least amount of problems.

Even our terminology is different. I mean I have heard myself say to the hubby, "after I get back from afk I'm gonna go run STk on NHE with this group if you wanna come just hit the LFM." lol

Or "when I get back from AFK I'll put up an LFM for TR." lol

Ok so you who play just got all of that but for those who don't play we'd sound like aliens.

DDO is a DEDICATED community. We will wait HOURS to play and then play for HOURS to get a fix.

ok I just can't express in words tonight why I love to play but hopefully the sentiment comes through.

ghirmeshk

Mar 27, 2009
sisterjinx said:
I can't explain to someone who hasn't played how addicting this game really is. Hubby and I often call it chat.. with a sword. The voice chat capability really makes this game so much more exciting for me. Meeting people from all over the world and talking with them as if they were right next to you. And in a way they are.

You become a part of the world and a part of your character.

I love that somedays I might be beating on something with my bastard swords and other days I might be blasting stuff with spells.

I love that I don't have to give the monsters a turn and wait for mine. We are both hitting each other and may the best creature win.

I love that this game makes you THINK. I mean really THINK. There are strategies to be considered, puzzles to be solved, party members to watch out for, buffs to be handed out as needed, and it's all got to be thought out in order to complete each quest with the least amount of problems.

Even our terminology is different. I mean I have heard myself say to the hubby, "after I get back from afk I'm gonna go run STk on NHE with this group if you wanna come just hit the LFM." lol

Or "when I get back from AFK I'll put up an LFM for TR." lol

Ok so you who play just got all of that but for those who don't play we'd sound like aliens.

DDO is a DEDICATED community. We will wait HOURS to play and then play for HOURS to get a fix.

ok I just can't express in words tonight why I love to play but hopefully the sentiment comes through.
It definitely does. I share your sentiment. Nicely put.

DDOjester

Mar 20, 2009
Greetings all......For those of you that will be new to DDO that have PnP experience, please keep in mind that its not PnP. It is, however, the closest thing on the market to it.

For those of you that have none to limited experience, please be patient. Start off with a character that has the simplest of learning curves and one that doesnt require much thought (or gear) to be successful early on. Learn the game then learn the classes. As everyone has posted before me has said, use the forums and ask around. There are many great (large and small) guilds that cater to every type of player. I'll be throwing my services to any and all who would be intersted, just send me a pm.

Welcome to all!

ghirmeshk

Mar 27, 2009
doctorwhofan said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
doctorwhofan said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
doctorwhofan said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
doctorwhofan said:
/QFT

let me repeat

/QFT

I started for the D&D aspect, and stayed for the community!

http://www.turbine.com/
I dont think you realize what QFT means. Quote For Truth. But you didn't quote anything. ?
One: THe quote button only works half the time.

TWO: Biiiiigggg post above me, the OP, in fact. Why repeat it and make the thread any long than needed?
True. But I was just messing with you in the first place. I guess I failed. Damn you logic.
NP. But Turbine Player + March Madness = no patience left.
As a Valve player + March Madness = No patience. I like both companies, but I will probably cry if Valve doesnt win. If only just for a moment.

point. Neither will cry. We came here to accoplish something and we did. Winning is just cake...for in DDO cake gives you a Djinn.
And the Djinn grant a wish . . . if you have the wisdom to wish well:).

epaulet

Mar 19, 2009
Quanefel said:
epaulet said:
lerincho said:
epaulet said:

Errr... well, I downloaded the client but I haven't gotten to installing/playing yet because I'm busy this week. But no, I'm not a DDO player (yet?). Why would you say that? Because I read the forums for a game I am looking into?

No, I am a LOTRO player. Lerotho of the Elendilmir server.

EDIT: I can look past the no respec thing if everyone says it's not as bad as I think it will be. Now what's bugging me is the general consensus of useless casters... now normally this wouldn't be a problem but it seems Turbine's been slacking on updates so I'm not sure when that'll be fixed. As more of an end game person myself, huge imbalances are pretty important to me. I recognize based on what people say player skill matters more... but when looking at balance it has to be taken with skill as a constant. There no bigger fun killer than playing a class you know requires your group to pick up your slack for no fault of your own, imo.

Quanefel

Nov 17, 2006
epaulet said:
Quanefel said:
epaulet said:
lerincho said:
epaulet said:

Errr... well, I downloaded the client but I haven't gotten to installing/playing yet because I'm busy this week. But no, I'm not a DDO player (yet?). Why would you say that? Because I read the forums for a game I am looking into?

Well since you are coming over from LOTRO and asking about a full respec in DDO then I am assuming LOTRO has one as well? If that is so, I guess it would make sense to ask about if DDO has a full respec. My apologies. I need to look into LOTRO's full respec for myself. :D

Regardless, DDO has 3 types of individual respecs a player can make use of it they feel the need to. There is a feat respec, an enchantment respec and a spell respec for sorcerers. They have also hinted at alignment respec, skill respec and maybe race respec? But not anytime soon, probably within the next year or so. Hopefully that helps.

epaulet

Mar 19, 2009
Quanefel said:
epaulet said:
Quanefel said:
epaulet said:
lerincho said:
epaulet said:

Well since you are coming over from LOTRO and asking about a full respec in DDO then I am assuming LOTRO has one as well? If that is so, I guess it would make sense to ask about if DDO has a full respec. My apologies. I need to look into LOTRO's full respec for myself. :D
Well LOTRO's system is quite different from DDO's from what it seems. We have "traits" to differentiate our characters.

First are Virtues. Virtues are the same for all players. You earn them and they level up to a max of level 10. Each virtue (labeled as Confidence, Wisdom, etc.) raises some stat by a decent amount, another by a more moderate amount, and another by a fairly small amount. Out of a fairly large pool of virtues you pick 5 to put on your character.

Then racial traits. These are minor bonuses such as 2% extra damage for some weapon type or a weakened stealth on a long cooldown... stuff that's useful in certain situations. You can equip 5 out of 9 I think of these. Each race has their own set.

Then class traits. These change your playstyle more or less. Kind of like talent trees of World of Warcraft. You can choose up to 7 at max level out of a pool of... 24 I think? They are divided into three trait lines, and slotting a certain amount from one line grants extra bonuses (Minstrels, the main healer, have a healing line, a buffing line, and a dps/solo line).

Then at max level you have 3 legendary slots. Legendary traits are fairly powerful skills usually. Most can be used with no conditions once unlocked, but three are "capstone" legendary traits for if you slot 5 traits in a single line.

If respecs weren't possible in LOTRO (changing traits)... it would be very crippling. VERY crippling. But I trust DDO it isn't so since people have survived thus far. I'll definitely be taking a look at the game. I remember before its release I was following it but after hearing so many people say what a failure of a release it was it scared me away. I guess it's time to see if it has redeemed itself.