Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Why it probably won't, it cuts the market to 1/3 for a game which will sell insanely well, it seems a bit counterintuitive.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
What makes more money...

PS3

or

PS3/360/PC

Now if I give you the choice...or one game or three games...which would you rather have..

Also "Exclusive" maybe for like a little while...ALA GTA4 but...then it would be released to everyone. It would be stupid to say Oh it looks good on X...if thats the case I think it should be PC exclusive...would look better there...

Also shows favortism...and elitist bs ala PC vs Console forum wars...

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
from the trailer, i didnt see anything that made the game look impossible to run on the 360. if there is a size issue, Rockstar clearly doesnt have a problem with shipping the game on multiple discs for the 360, which they did with LA Noire.

unless Rockstar really feels like cutting their sales literally in half for GTA 5 (which could be their biggest release ever), they wont keep it off the 360. were talking about a game that will easily sell over 4 million copies in its first month, just on the 360. theyd have to be insane to throw all of that away.

Edit: what people should actually be worried about is whether or not it will be released on PC. GTA 4 is pretty popular on PC, but RDR was never even released for it. maybe Rockstar is avoiding the platform, but just isnt as vocal about it as Ubisoft is.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Bvenged said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Wrong - the PS3 is a fair bit more powerful, but sadly both flop compared to a basic gaming rig of £500.
In one sense, a PS3 exclusive could be possible seeing that GTA 4 pushed the 360 to its limits years ago, so how could they possibly improve it besides change the textures?

However, would Rockstar cut off 40 million potential buys?
Highly doubtful as the one thing this generation has shown is that devs will happily reduce the quality of the game for more customers.
While you are right about PC being superior by a long shot, PS3 and 360 are barely different in power these days. Read my comment at the top of the page then nod your head as I ask you "You're not very aware when it comes to technological advancements or changes in the way computers logically handle data, are you?".

The efficiency of data handling on both consoles these days has become superb, allowing the developers to allocate more processing time to render greater detail in textures and more polygons for meshes, whilst calculating smarter AI & rendering more objects on-screen real-time than any game 3 years back on the same hardware; when we thought they had hit the limit.
I am fully aware that devs will optimise their engines for the consoles and of course, this will improve, but there is still a limit and sometimes these "optimisations" are merely chosen sacrifices as seen in recent games. They may increase polygon count, but reduce texture and shader size to compensate. This is not much of a surprise when they have being developing for the hardware for well over 6 years now and most likely became as efficient as possible sometime ago.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly I feel as though you're purposely trying to rile people up by saying it will by a PS3 exclusive. ;)
You know it won't be, we know it won't be. Why you ask? Because GTAIV, a multiplatform release, practically printed money.

Would you like me to pull up how well GTAIV sold on each platform? Of course you would.

"About 60% of GTA sales in the first week were for Microsoft?s Xbox 360, while the rest were for Sony?s competing Playstation 3 console"
Would RockStar be dumb enough to snuff 60% of their sales base? I'd like to thing not. Take in mind this was also during their first week! Rockstar NEEDS to release it on several platforms if they want it to be as raging a success as GTAIV was.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/gamesinc/archives/2008/05/grand_theft_aut.html

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
Last time I checked, Rock Star was a business.

Now, I ain't no bizness man an' I never went to one o' them there fancy bizness schools...

The whole idea of a business is to make money. Rockstar would lose much more than it gained by making it an exclusive title.

GTA isn't even a title worth switching over to a different console (IMO, some people may feel differently). Also, Xbox/MS seem quite fond of throwing money at devs or publishers to ensure they get any DLCs first.

I'd be very, VERY, surprised if they made GTA5 a PS3 exclusive. It wouldn't make any sense.

Not that it really matters to me. Just voicing my opinion in this matter.

Skootz said:
the reason why I know it wont be a PS3 exclusive? the trailer was all over my 360's dashboard.
LOL

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
"Hey guys, let's ignore the sweet sweet money from the Xbox360 crowd and PC gamers! Also snort rock salt!"
Yeah no.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I declare though an insistent fan-boy with the manners of my stable boy, good sir. I would challenge ye to mortal combat this not been over the net in between us. Your babblings give me such the ache of head that I believe I may soon grow numb to it.

HAhahah. You porlly have a point but the 360, while it may be weaker, is actually rather well optimized to handle large games. So perhaps but only perhaps.

But PC? That sir, is taking too far.

Pistols at dawn.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Why I think GTA V won't be a PS3 exclusive.

Rockstar likes money, so they probably aren't in a hurry to halve their profits.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Dont think the xbox can handle it?

Dont worry. Rockstar will just turn the FOV down to something like 40. Its common practice these days. COD has been doing it for years.
Hmm, Thought there is a clear trend towards lower FOV in games I've yet to see a demonstrated difference in performance. Essentially all FOV is change the "zoom-level" of the render-view, lower FOV you are zoomed in more the trade off is although you render less side to side it has to show more pixels of things further away.

You can see what little difference this makes in practice in PC games pushing the limit of your system, dial the FOV up and down and the frame-rate doesn't significantly. No more than simply looking around at things far and close. Also, any time you zoom in with a sniper-rifle in a game you are doing the same as reducing FOV.

I think the FOV is more for catering to people playing on HDTVs, people tend to view TVs at much greater distance (relative to screen size) than on PC.

On PC where we are used to playing on a 19-24 inch high-resolution monitor within a 2-foot viewing distance that is obviously going to fill a wider field of your vision than a typical console player who usually leaves walking room between their TV and thei sitting position so it's 6-9 feet on a typically 46-inch screen, simple maths says their screen typically fills a smaller field of their vision so they can settle for a smaller FOV in game, like 75 degrees.

Also, I get the impression art directors like a narrower FOV of around 70-degrees (it's more like a film camera) and how tailored games are with scripted sequences based on what is in the players point of view, it is easier with a narrower view. It's an annoying trend but I doubt it is them being miserly with graphics as I've yet to see the performance boost demonstrated.

As A PC gamer playing on a 24-inch 1080p capable screen I totally expect a 90-degree fov option. The way I see it you start with the 720p frame in the middle that would be only around 70-degrees wide (all the console gamer gets) and for PC that I paid so much for I expect the extra pixels to expand the field of view to around 90-degrees.

alucards1hell

Oct 31, 2010
I see this has become a console war topic again...

It won't be an exclusive and just like GTAIV the PC version will be horrendously delayed.

Rockstar is a developer, devs make games for money and therefore will be making this game for everyone.

As for the console war, could users of this forum please check their facts regarding console capabilities before posting as I'm fed up of reading absolute bs on what each console can supposedly do.

alucards1hell

Oct 31, 2010
Ghostwise said:
Rockstar isn't stupid. They are in the business of making money and there is literally 0 chance this will be a console exclusive. Not trying to be all negative or anything but if they were to make it an exclusive it would be on the 360. It's the largest selling console in the world and there is no way they would turn their backs on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on the Wii U lol.
Actually, the PS2 still is the largest selling console in the world with 153 million units shipped worldwide.

The xbox 360 is 9th with 57.6 million and ps3 10th with 55.5 million.

Once again, please check facts before putting them on here.

source(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles#Video_Game_console_and_handheld_systems)

alucards1hell

Oct 31, 2010
Not to worry, I'm just nit-picking as a lot of users on this forum seem to just spout "facts" without providing any solid info!

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
grrr said:
Monsterfurby said:
So, OP, are you saying you *think* it will be the case, or rather that you *hope* it will be the case?
Just asking, because we are skimming the town border of Trollville a bit here...
It's just me speculating based on a few things that I noticed today. I don't 'hope' that Xbox gamers will be deprived of a most likely excellent game.
Fair enough, sorry for the general suspicion. I have developed a healthy phobia of PS3 vs. 360 flamewars breaking loose at every corner.

Anyway, back to topic:
I think that Rockstar might actually settle for a system-related DLC and/or "secondary title" (i.e. everything except GTA) strategy. I can very much see them making a big game (Rockstar only does big games, it appears) single-console exclusive and if it is successful fading it over into a cross-platform franchise (as they did with Red Dead and something else I can't remember right now), but I wouldn't expect them to touch their flagship license in such a major way, but it could well be that they develop their engine in such a way that it takes full advantage of the PS3 while leaving the 360 somewhat behind.