Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Here's why it won't be an exclusive. *ahem* because speculating about an exclusive game for any particular consoles based off the only thing that rockstar have told us so far, which is bugger all, as they so far only released a 1 minute trailer which just gives us A setting.

And let's face it, Rockstar ain't stupid, they make tons load of money off the xbox market, so why would they not release it on xbox?

Why can't we just be surprised by something for once?

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
Not to be rude or anything, but this is really a dumb topic. There is a 0% chance of GTA V being an exclusive to any platform. GTA IV was finished for 360 months before it actually released because Rockstar was finishing the PS3 version. If you think Microsoft didn't try to get that to a be timed exclusive, you're dreaming. Rockstar probably named a price, and it was too steep even for MS. The fact is, with the type of numbers GTA games do, it would take huge sums of money to buy the exclusive rights, and at this point in the generation, neither Sony or Microsoft would spend that kind of money when most people have already bought their console this generation. Console Manufacturers buy exclusive rights to sell consoles, not games, and this late in the generation that money isn't as well spent as earlier in the generation. And before you say Sony had timed exclusivity for GTA games last gen; yes, that is correct, but last gen Sony was outselling both their competitors combined, this gen they are in third place. The kind of money Rockstar would need to make up for the lost 360 sales is something Sony just can't pay.
Bottom Line: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Well you say it looks to good to be on the 360, you know that the trailer will have been done on a p.c., So to say it looks to good for the 360, then it probably looks to go for the ps 3 aswell.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
So, OP, are you saying you *think* it will be the case, or rather that you *hope* it will be the case?
Just asking, because we are skimming the town border of Trollville a bit here...

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
It would only be a ps3 exclusive if Rockstar suddenly decides they hate profits.

They should just make it a pc exclusive anyway :D

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
It wont happen, why would you make your flagship title exclusive? Cut out 2/3 of the market share sounds a bit stupid to me... Then again many things the gaming industry does nowadays is stupid

surg3n

May 16, 2011
LiquidSolstice said:
"looks a bit too good" to be on the 360? Erm. Have you seen the higher grade 360 titles recently? Forza 4's car models blow the pants off GT5's car models, for instance. Yes, the PS3 has higher specs, but that doesn't mean it's automatically always going to be better detailed. The publishers for these multi-platform games pick the easer platform to develop on, and then port to the less simpler ones (it's been this way for a while now), but there's no way in hell Rockstar is going to drop such a huge market share like that. They'll make it work. a 30 fps lock does wonders in that area.

The more worrying issue is the release date, I don't know if the current gen will still be current in 2 years.
Prepare for the onslaught of PS3 fanboys disagreeing with that :D - I made a similar comment on YouTube and they didn't like it one bit. Anyway I agree, GT5 is so damn over rated that I'd rather play practically any other racing game than that.

At the end of the day, money talks, and dismissing millions of 360 owners is something that a publisher would not do, not when it's this late in the game for the 360 and the PS3. I think people are expecting LA Noire type situations, but somehow Skyrim fits on a DVD, and doesn't need to install gigs of texture data to cope, so theres no excuse for GTA5 being a bluray exclusive. I for one don't think the visuals have improved that much since GTA4 to warrant a PS3 exclusive. No offence to the OP, but it sounds like a lofty assumption, not something that makes any financial sense. If anything, they'll cut back on GTA5 rather than exclude half their fanbase.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
There is not a chance in the world this will be exclusive to the PS3. Rockstar would take a pounding reputation wise and they would be limited their profit.

I'd refuse to buy it if it was, then again I refuse to buy a PS3 either so that's by the by.

Atleast there's saints row 3 :p

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
grrr said:
srm79 said:
Project_Xii said:
Why I think it won't:

Rockstar love money. Loooooovvveeeeeeeeee money. They'll find a way to make it work on 360, even if they have to hamstring the crap out of it and put it on 6 discs. Just look at the lengths Squenix went to to get the piece of crap FFXIII on 360.
That's the reason it was a piece of crap. Squenix admitted to having to cut a lot of stuff out that they had originally planned to make it feasible for the Xbox.
Didn't that only marginally increase sales anyway? No one with a 360 cares about FF. Although that one sucked anyway especially after the awesome that was XII.
Yup. Everyone who gave a damn about the game already had a PS3. That's why there was so much rage from the FFanboys when it came out. Their game was gimped for a market that didn't want or care for it.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
grrr said:
GT5 was outdated from the moment of release but that was due to its horrifically drawn out development time and Polyphony's obsession with unimportant details. Look at say Uncharted 3 versus Gears 3 for a more apt comparison plus that's more in GTA's vein. And yes Rockstar does love money but they're a good game studio so I like to think that their primary concern is making a good game.
Oh wow, how naive! Nope, their primary concern is making money.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I very highly doubt that they would release GTA V as a PS3 exclusive. Unless Sony is paying them ridiculous amounts of money, it just doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. In an industry where it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a AAA title, a studio isn't going to ignore a majority of the market just so it can release a game on a system with a slightly superior processor.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I hope it's not, because:
1. I don't have a PS3. And
2. I think the PS3 already has more than enough great exclusive titles...

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Get_A_Grip_ said:
Maybe timed exclusive DLC?
I don't see Rockstar releasing the game on only one system at launch.
There definately will be timed exclusive DLC, and Microsoft will get it first because Rockstar has a thing for Microsoft kickbacks.

MasTerHacK

Apr 15, 2009
Project_Xii said:
Why I think it won't:

Rockstar love money. Loooooovvveeeeeeeeee money. They'll find a way to make it work on 360, even if they have to hamstring the crap out of it and put it on 6 discs. Just look at the lengths Squenix went to to get the piece of crap FFXIII on 360.
RDR on the PC, anyone?
THAT is probably the reason GTAV is going to be a PS3 exclusive, and I would love it to be, I'm just sick of X360 fanboys making fun of the PS3.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
when they said PS3 exclusive-I-wouldn't-believe, I immediately joked Half life 3.

GTA5 being (timed) exclusive is interesting thought though. It did happen for GTA San Andreas... Holy crap, do I see a pattern here?

I did read something about Rock Star saying that exclusive games DO work though. They claim its how they built the popularity of GTA through PS2.

Again, very interesting thought.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
They won't ignore the 360. They would just be shooting themselves in the foot. Microsoft was very involved with GTAIV so I doubt things will change.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont know...that just seems like too much of a big chunk of thr market to cut out....

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Jezzascmezza said:
I hope it's not, because:
1. I don't have a PS3. And
2. I think the PS3 already has more than enough great exclusive titles...
1. I have a PS3
2. No such thing as "more than enough" exclusive titles.

;)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
stormcrow5 said:
If it is it will be timed. I doubt they will let that much money pass them by and make it for only 1 console.
just out of curiosity..what are the benefits of a timed exclusive?...like, for anyone?

(Im assumeing "timed" means it comes out of one platform before the ohters..correct me if I m wrong)