Why I Think The PSVitaTV is a bad Idea for Sony:

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Can play most Vita games on a big screen, plus any PSP PS Classic off of PSN. Plus, can use it to remotely play the PS4 on any TV over Wi-Fi. What exactly is bad about this?

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Blitsie said:
I really hope this doesn't end up completely undermining the Vita, its a fantastic portable device that really deserves some success for a change. Just look at the graphics in Killzone, imagine if Rockstar could jump in and do a proper portable GTA or if Sucker Punch could develop a unique superhero game for it.

There's insane potential there, letting it go to waste would truly suck.
How in the world would this undermine the Vita? You do realize it is basically a Vita that you plug into a TV and control with a DS3 right? If anything, this coming out will make things much better for Vita software.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Korten12 said:
It's already sold out on Amazon JP, which is good. So I doubt it will be a flop, it's price is very appealing.
That seems to defuse several arguments by itself.

One thing I'd like to see in light of this, aside from cheaper memory cards, is opening back up the number of consoles a game can be downloaded to. Unless this is going to be a separate slot. Because I can see a draw to this if it means you can access your games on your portable or your big screen or whatever at your convenience. But if that's to happen, we need more freedom with our purchases.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
I can understand some points and agree with #4 but it seems to me that OP's problem is not much the VitaTV but the vita itself, since he already assumes that it doesn't have anything worthwhile enough to play on it.

A lot of people have been interested in some vita titles but were always held off by the price. Plus it has the appeal for some devs, big or small, to be able to develop for a handheld and subsequently still be available as a tv experience, without going into outrageous budgetting for a bigger console licensing.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I'm pretty stoked for this, especially for the access to the PSP library on TV. Now if only they would get more PSP games compatitable with Vita (I'm speaking more in terms of Metal Gear Solid Portable ops, Metal Gear Ac!d 1&2, Twisted Metal, Crisis Core, and like 6 other PSP games I own that won't play on my Vita.)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
1) It's competing against Home Consoles
Nope. I got a PS3, will get a PS4, was never interested in the Vita, will want to get a Vita TV. The price point sells it to me pretty much no questions asked, and I can stream my PS/Sony content to an old dumb TV next to the fireplace when friends and family are over. So, yeah, no cannibalistic Sony competition, more of an argument to go Sony and against the competition of Microsoft and Nintendo. It's a gadget/bonus feature for the PS3/PS4, not a standalone competitor. I don't agree with you.

Mr.Mattress said:
2) It's competing against Sony Home Consoles
Nope. The way I understood it so far, it's pretty much a streaming device for Sony content and it allows me to play Vita games with the controllers I already have. I like the idea, especially since Sony has already started giving me both the PS3 as well as the Vita versions of games I bought. I see value added to the Sony content I already buy, which is just about the polar opposite of my Wii/Wii U experience.

Mr.Mattress said:
3) It's Sony's way of leaving the Handheld Market
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe this can lead to a proper dose of market penetration, upping consumer acceptance, creating interest and maybe even proper leads that might end in more Vita sales. If I get used to play Vita games, and I actually like it, I might want to go forth and buy meself a Vita. Well, not me, but others might. Who knows.

Mr.Mattress said:
4) "But Since the PS4 won't be out in Japan until February, this will hold them over!" Sorry, Japan already has Vitas
Hmmmmmnope. It's not a full-fledged 'Vita Console'. Think more like Ouya, but with actual content already available. Some of the content overlaps or integrates with PS3 content. Some of that content is exclusive. For me as a non-Vita-owner, it's a plus. For someone with a Vita, it's a plus. For someone with a PS3, it's a plus. I fail to see the downside of this and I don't see any drawbacks of this deal. Plus, the Japanese are generally very, very interested in gadgets and new tech. Depending on the actual price tag attached, this thing could sell like cronuts.

Mr.Mattress said:
5) This is the First Time a Handheld has gone Home Console
Nope. Gameboy games were playable on Super Nintendo (Super Famicom) home consoles with clunky plastic adaptors, and I was under the impression that sold absolutely well, as all of my friends and buddies eventually had one, and all their mums were playing Tetris and other Gameboy games on the TV, for reasons unknown beyond the fact that they could. It is first and foremost a content delivery unit that allows me to stream PS3/PS4/Vita content to a TV set that was otherwise only used for lazy Sunday laserdisc movie sessions or as an ad-hoc tablet or laptop display. I can use the controllers I already own, so I don't have to shell out for more input devices. Also, I think I might skip the Chromecast in favour of the Vita TV, as it seems to do... Everything, which the Chromecast, even after rooting, doesn't.

Mr.Mattress said:
6) "Well, the PSVitaTV is a Streaming Box, not a Home Console!" But it is a Home Console
Nope. At least it's more complicated or, if you will, more versatile than that. The PlayStation Vita TV allows me to stream PS4 content to a dumb TV, even when the actual PS4 is busy. That's what Sony said in their initial blurb. The PS Vita TV allows me to play not only Vita games, but also PSP and PS1 games (at least that's what I read elsewhere), and it seems to offer even more functionality beyond that, such as serving as a Twitter twatstation and I've also read - just headlines - that people perceive it to be an open attack on AppleTV, although I have yet to read those articles to see if they go deeper than just knee jerk reactions to the name itself. It's a compact, nay, tiny content delivery platform that allows me to truly enhance my experience without giving me tons of headache like the XBox One blah did months before it will actually be released.

Mr.Mattress said:
7) Touching Is Bad (Apparently)
Aye. Touching is silly, most of the time. To be honest, I stopped caring about novel ways of interacting with my games right after the Wii. We still have two boxes full of plastic peripherals we don't use, versus half a dozen different devices we actually still do use on a regular basis. The whole touchy-feelie crap - together with the 3D nonsense - can eff right off. I want 4K. I'd like more 4:3 or at least 16:10 love. I hate the predator savannah vision of 16:9. And while 3D for movies does have some appeal (when done right, which is mostly still not the case), the negative impact 3D has on framerates in gaming is a huge no-no for me and most folks I know. Touching isn't inherently bad, but it's mostly silly. I don't see a way of porting over the touching bit, not even with a PS4 controller. Maybe that's the death of the Vita proper, maybe that's just the death of touch-enabled games. Who knows. We'll see.

Mr.Mattress said:
8) "People that originally didn't want a Vita will want it now!" No they won't
They might. And if they don't, they all now have a PS Vita TV unit in their homes instead of an Apple TV unit, and they all have at least one PS Vita TV instead of no Vita handheld console. Maybe they won't buy Vita handheld units, but they very well might want to buy Vita software. Because there are established alternatives to Vita TV, Vita TV might grab some market share back with vastly reduced production costs per unit (no screen, no input devices, just a little slab of tech and plastic)... if this thing sells, it will have an impact... on everything.

Mr.Mattress said:
9) "This is the best way to get into the Stream Box Market for Sony!" Too Little, Too Late I'm afraid
Vita games all alone might indeed not be all too appealing, but the sum of all games available to be played on the Vita TV makes a pretty huge argument for Sony (Vita, PSP, PS1, maybe more through streaming PS3/4 content)... Apple can't counter that in a jiffy and Microsoft seems too busy recovering from the XBone marketing disaster, peddling Win8 and Windows ReTard to the masses. I think Sony made a lot of people's heads spin with the announcement of the PS Vita TV. I see buckets of appeal, but I want to hear more about it first.

Mr.Mattress said:
10) This cheapens the Playstation Brand
Nope. This is a plus for the PlayStation brand, and it could turn out to be the biggest thing since sliced bread and the iPhone. Only that it's a Sony. I like the ideas it puts into my head, and I will definitely want to keep an eye on it, as I will want to get one even if it only does half of what I want it to do, as a hundred bucks will not allow me to get anywhere near that otherwise. Maybe it will flop and fail and stink and disappear, if it doesn't, it can rejuvenate the PlayStation brand and create quite some ripples - if not shockwaves proper - throughout the industry and the markets all over the world. Maybe it will outright kill the Ouya, but I've already sold mine on, so who cares. I don't.

I think the Vita TV is an amazing little thing out of left field that could be the next big thing. I think the Vita TV has a ton of potential. Right off the bat, I think the Vita TV is a considerable threat to Apple, Microsoft and the Ouya, putting a dent in the former two and capable of dealing the death blow to the latter. I genuinely think this thing could rock, hard and heavy like a really heavy thing.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
yesbag said:
Dissidia on a TV! Excitment level - rising!

Of course a proper home console version of Dissidia would be amazing - but this is a step in the right direction.

With that of course - will it do ad hoc (maybe online) so I can finally start playing against other humans. I don't know anyone who owns Dissidia and only a handful with a PSP - so my extensive Dissidia experience (hundreds of hours in both the first game and 012) is against the computer only.
Look what you made me do! Now I can't stop throwing money at my monitor! GOD DAMN IT, TAKE MY MONEY. Dissidia HD would be super coolio. Though unfortunately, I'm limited to the PSP version still, rather than digital on my Vita, because I had a different PSN account back when I only had a PSP and no PS3.. And the preorder/Legacy Edition DLC costumes I have for Squall (his badass KH Leon costume), Tifa (Amano artwork), Cecil (FFIV Complete Collection sprite) and Lightning (3rd Birthday's Aya Brea) are all tied to my old PSN due to download codes and not being available for purchase on PlayStation Store.. And I like those exact costumes XD That said, the Vita OLED screen makes Dissidia 012 look super pretty..

Skops said:
I'm pretty stoked for this, especially for the access to the PSP library on TV. Now if only they would get more PSP games compatitable with Vita (I'm speaking more in terms of Metal Gear Solid Portable ops, Metal Gear Ac!d 1&2, Twisted Metal, Crisis Core, and like 6 other PSP games I own that won't play on my Vita.)
And now I'm out of monies to throw.. First Dissidia, now Crisis Core. I WANT THAT ON VITA PLZKTHX, SONY. :(

Oh, and KH:Birth By Sleep would be just peachy as well.. Though I'm expecting that to be in KH 2.5 HD ReMIX..

NiPah

May 8, 2009
As of January 2013 in Japan the PSP has sold 6,814,187 more units then the Wii, the PS2 has sold about 2 million more units then the PSP, Japan loves the PSP.

This is a Japanese centric system made mainly to play dating sims and text adventures on your TV, to be honest I'll be amazed if this system ever comes over to the States.

As for your reasoning...
1) See Japanese gaming tastes don't really require much hardware, just artists and writers, this is mainly for VNs.
2) They're pretty different, again this is to get some of those 19 million PSP users back, not the 8 million PS3 users.
3) Not in Japan, sure they don't seem to give much of a toss about the Western handheld markets but they sure as hell care about Japan's.
4) No this is exactly why a Vita console might do exceedingly well in Japan, Japan isn't big on beefy consoles, they want ones that are cheaper to program VNs for.
5) It's something new, thats not a bad thing in and of itself.
6) Additional features add value, they are not a reason for failure, also this is a major draw for some.
7) Most VNs don't require touch
8) Maybe they won't, but I'm guessing you're wrong, given the recent sales you're not looking good.
9) Which stream boxes are big in Japan? I'm guessing your again focusing on the Western market.
10) It will only cheap the brand if it does poorly, that remains to be seen, most likely you're wrong and it will actually strengthen the brand.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Oh, and KH:Birth By Sleep would be just peachy as well.. Though I'm expecting that to be in KH 2.5 HD ReMIX..
It is gonna be in 2.5 ReMix. If you beat one of the games on 1.5 ReMix you unlock the extra credit sequence for the entire collection on the game select menu. In the credits they show the games that will be in the 2.5 ReMix, which are: Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+, Birth by Sleep Final Mix, and Re: Coded stuff, so they're probably gonna be remaking the cutscenes again.
I'm glad I got the Japanese edition of HD 1.5 back in March now. :3

Anyway, another thing is that if this is region free then you've also got the ability to play your imports as well. I kinda hope this comes to the States now, and then I'll makes some sort of drive like Jeffers suggested that takes in UMDs so then I could play other imports as well. :D

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Neronium said:
It is gonna be in 2.5 ReMix. If you beat one of the games on 1.5 ReMix you unlock the extra credit sequence for the entire collection on the game select menu. In the credits they show the games that will be in the 2.5 ReMix, which are: Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+, Birth by Sleep Final Mix, and Re: Coded stuff, so they're probably gonna be remaking the cutscenes again.
I'm glad I got the Japanese edition of HD 1.5 back in March now. :3

Anyway, another thing is that if this is region free then you've also got the ability to play your imports as well. I kinda hope this comes to the States now, and then I'll makes some sort of drive like Jeffers suggested that takes in UMDs so then I could play other imports as well. :D
Yeah.. Staggered release dates are a pain. KH 1.5 HD only just released in the US today or yesterday, but Australia doesn't get it until tomorrow (September 12th).. Thanks for the tip though, that's cool. Makes sense that it isn't on PSN for Vita then! =P

Y'know what *would* be nice? Frakkin' Type-0 released in the West. That'd be super nice.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Yeah.. Staggered release dates are a pain. KH 1.5 HD only just released in the US today or yesterday, but Australia doesn't get it until tomorrow (September 12th).. Thanks for the tip though, that's cool. Makes sense that it isn't on PSN for Vita then! =P

Y'know what *would* be nice? Frakkin' Type-0 released in the West. That'd be super nice.
No problem. Also, you get free premium themes when you beat one of the games. There are a total of 3 of them that you can get once you beat all of the games on the HD 1.5.

When it comes to other things, if they make this product region free then I don't see as much of a problem, and if they were to release some sort of UMD attachment then I'd be really happy. Of course I actually know Japanese...but yeah localization times are a ***** and a half.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
What I don't understand is the need for handheld devices at all? At what point will our smartphones take that market over? It seems to me that all you'd have to do is create a controller-type case with a d-pad and buttons for your phone to slide into and it would be all over for those purpose built devices.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Mutant1988 said:
2: How do you compete with yourself?
He's referring to product cannabalisation, the sales of a product replacing another by the same company when they wish both to co-exist.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Neronium said:
Snotnarok said:
I have a Vita, I love it, I'd love if there was a TV out but that is a neat idea they have going in it's own right.
Now...can we see those memory cards drop to something sane? $70 for 32gb vs a 32gb miniSD card at $20
I think sooner or later someone out there will figure out how to make an adapter for it, just like what happened with the PSP, at least I hope so, because those Memory Cards are the only thing truly holding me back.
Don't be held back, look on ebay, when the Vita was riding at 250 I managed to grab a Vita with everything + Unit 13 new and a new 8gb card for $185 including shipping. You can find some awesome ass deals.

Well if you remember with the PSP they didn't actually make a TV out for it, they made a TV out for the NEXT model, however the vita does have an accessory port and I'm sure something will get worked out with that....I hope.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
Personally I'm all for this. It's the first step for an on the go console experience.

I dream of a day when I can play a game on my console/pc at home in its glorious high definition and then before I take the bus/train to work, I can transfer my save file to a handheld that allows me to play the same quality of the game but on a handheld.

Sony are just making it go from the reverse of that. Which is not at all a negative thing.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I find it silly that you can now play the Vita version of Dragons Crown on the TV, eliminating the only advantage it had over the PS3 version, the touchscreen. The VitaTV will have to rely on a cursor again.

I'm also not interested since i own the handheld anyways.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
One thing that's been holding me back from buying quite a few PSP games is the fact that they're too big in scale for a handheld. I can't play on a tiny screen like that for long (headaches, neck cramps... screw handhelds for anything more than a 5 minute casual session). Also, I really hate touchscreens, as they always seem ridiculously imprecise in the absence of a stylus (probably due to my body's electrical field being very abnormal. ESD damage is one of those things I've got a talent for. Never had a thumb drive last more than a month). Never thought I'd get a Vita before this announcement... this little console appears to have been designed with me in mind.

1) It's competing against Home Consoles
If by home consoles, you mean the Ouya, Apple TV and Google TV boxes, sure. The price point, size, and hardware specs are incomparable to major console releases.

2) It's competing against Sony Home Consoles
Err... no. It's going to function as a PS4 accessory (access point for streaming to a second TV), it plays handheld games and old PS1 games without being a handheld (thus anyone who wants to play these games on the go will be uninterested)... it's not competing with any Sony products.

3) It's Sony's way of leaving the Handheld Market
Good god I hope so. Maybe they'll move parts of their indie market onto this thing and its successors, giving up on the neck cramp revolution.

4) "But Since the PS4 won't be out in Japan until February, this will hold them over!" Sorry, Japan already has Vitas
...not even sure what the point of this one is... are people actually so impatient that this sort of thing matters to them in the slightest? That's... pretty sad.

5) This is the First Time a Handheld has gone Home Console
...looks like a strawman to me. Did someone actually say that, and if so, why didn't you simply correct them on the spot and dismiss the claim? Not worthy of a bullet point.

6) "Well, the PSVitaTV is a Streaming Box, not a Home Console!"
Again, keep it to the person who said it. Obvious idiocy isn't this forum's strong suit, so this is a strawman when used here.

7) Touching Is Bad (Apparently)
Good. Shitty gimmick anyway. Very biased opinion, I know... I admit this one could be a genuine complaint for some people, but you are talking about playing (most of) the same games for a third the price of the original system.

8) "People that originally didn't want a Vita will want it now!" No they won't
I sure as shit will. Not for the streaming (I have a PC hooked to my TV for that) so much as the ability to play handheld-only titles sans the eye and neck strain.

9) "This is the best way to get into the Stream Box Market for Sony!" Too Little, Too Late I'm afraid
...you do know the most-used device to access Netflix with is the PS3, right? Still, that's beside the point. While this thing may cut a little into the Apple/Google TV market, I think it's more likely to sell to people who want a more modern console but have a very limited budget. This fills the gap for people without a lot of cash who might want to play some PSP games they pick up used for a few bucks, with the added bonus of limited internet video streaming. Who knows, maybe those people will save up and buy a Vita game that catches their eye.

10) This cheapens the Playstation Brand
I would argue that this isn't a bad thing. It may turn off some very few extremely snobbish types who only buy brands that are inaccessible to the common rabble... but it's going to open them up to the common rabble, who are much more numerous.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
rvbnut said:
Personally I'm all for this. It's the first step for an on the go console experience.

I dream of a day when I can play a game on my console/pc at home in its glorious high definition and then before I take the bus/train to work, I can transfer my save file to a handheld that allows me to play the same quality of the game but on a handheld.

Sony are just making it go from the reverse of that. Which is not at all a negative thing.
There are actually already a few games like that. Monsterhunter 3U for the WiiU/3ds and Dragons Crown for the PS3/Vita have a feature like that, though it requires you to buy the game twice.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Mutant1988 said:
8: Find me an alternative as cheap. Then find me one those that can play Vita games. The market is people that want a cheap TV box, a TV Box and Vita games or just Vita games.
as you put it
just a statement - Not an argument.
In fact more as a reinforcement and illustration of what you said.

There are all manner of little android centric devices that functionally perform tasks equal to or greater than by way of selective available software and inter connectible hardware such as the.....
UG007B Android TV Box.(70USD)
...With software options like splashtop and hardware options through USB and Bluetooth connectivity useful for things like controller connection. Same access to tv streaming apps like netflix and hulu. Same access to play store for native android games and programs. Some also up the functionality by adding mobility such as the ....

iReadyGO Much i5 (179)

... There are similar and slightly better devices that can for all intents and theoretical purposes able to do as much, and in many cases more for comparable and even lower prices. So arguably even this is either behind the curve tech/price wise or it is simply Apple-esque paying a premium for branded content.

Sony points out that the device will play, at launch, about 1,300 games. That?s because it can play all of the PSP and PSone games that are currently available to download via the PlayStation Network...

Sony said in a press release that the PS Vita TV cannot play all PS Vita games.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/09/playstation-vita-tv

The device is said to be compatible with over 100 Vita games
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvitatv/game/psvitalist/

So it is important to note the TVT also has incomplete access to the vita library. Whilst other devices can hypothetically emulate devices that can essentially do the same "bulk" of PS1 & PSP games as well as competitive platforms if only in a theoretical specification capacity.

Edit: Sorry, its late and both me and the post may be a little off.