Why is America so awesome?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
TerraMGP said:
But its easier to blame the Americans isn't it? Its very easy to look away from your own nations flaws or look at us as simple people just like you.I just really hope that if Obama and the current house and senate administration work out as well as they should you have another scapegoat lined up though because you won't be able to blame us for the worlds woes.
if you(i mean america, just wrote you because you wrote us) didn't meddle into every situation we wouldn't have to blame you for everything, even if america(you apparently) is the only superpower left, it doesn't give them(you, yeah im gonna tease you a bit) leverage to do whatever you(they) want.

listen i dont know about the others, but I personally dont detest americans as a people, america's got fukcheads and my country has fuckheads, there are fuckheads around the world regardless of nationality. my problem overall is with the american agenda... by the people in power who you elected, a nation where a politician can gain votes simply through religion and patriotism(another concept i dont understand). and through this mentality, the populace is afraid of the government, it should be the other way around, it seems as if the vote is the only voice you have in america(this may just be my look on things)

ever since the Vietnam war, most of the world has begun to see what kind of agenda america has, ever since the mexican american war, america has been in a constant state of war.. or aggression

the contradictions and underhanded methods america uses against "allies" if they dont stick to the plan. these kinds of things are swept under the rug.

consumerism seems to be glorified in america(but this might be my own misconception)

what im trying to say is that i dont know all the people in america so i cant cross them all out as douche bags, but i do know your federal.. practically privatized government, and i can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is the most revolting in all of "western" society... in my opinion of course.. oh yeah and another thing, how come americans claim they invented freedom, democracy and freedom of speech. another question, why do americans see no problem in only having two choices about political parties(the indie parties are not valued)

but it is not the worst place in the world by any means, geographically america(the entire continent, south and north and middle) is truly stunning. americans have an exceptional sense of humor, great emphasis on entertainment, unfortunately that focus produces more crap than gems, and most of the crap is cheap so it gets sent over here. its an incredibly diverse place with many nationalities, in a way the american people could represent the world based on this. you have the amish, george bush, britney spears and dr.phil, very hilarious and horrifying. basically america is great entertainment, for me at least

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
DI7789 said:
America isn't awesome, simply because they can't laugh at themselves and they can't take criticism. If you read through this thread you'll see a bunch of Americans overreacting to people criticising them (Granted, most of these people are being hypocritical because their countries suffer similar problems to America). But just because some people criticise doesn't give you the right to have a temper tantrum.

I'm Welsh and I can't tell you the number of times I've been the butt of a 'sheepshagger' joke and still laughed along because I thought it was genuinely funny, and I've heard plenty of people criticising Wales for whatever reason and I've just reacted either in agreement (Because a lot of the time, the criticism is right on the money) or apologetically, because I have contributed to the problem the person complained about, not going absolutely spare like some of the people in this thread.
Ummm. have you ever seen South Park? Its pretty much the perfect example of satirizing America and its values. The fact of the matter is, just about every week, there is a new "America Suxorz LOL" thread. Apparently you have read any of the comments on this thread because there are plenty of people acknowledging our flaws. Also why aren't there any, "(x country) sux" threads here? Hmmm could it be that everybody else has temper tantrums when their country is criticized? The fact that know one has reported this thread yet proves that we can take criticism, despite the fact the people doing the criticizing turned into trolls a few pages ago. I get kinda sick of all these armchair American Haters when they let one president color their opinion, when they most likely haven't met a single real American in their life.

DI7789

Aug 30, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Ummm. have you ever seen South Park? Its pretty much the perfect example of satirizing America and its values.
Good point, I'm actually a fan of South Park and I recognise that it satirises America, but it is not without controversy (It was even advertised as being 'banned by an entire nation', although it wasn't). As far as I know, however, Americans haven't criticised it, which is a testament to how much America is willing to watch itself be insulted. You have proved my argument wrong (mostly), well done.

matrix3509 said:
The fact of the matter is, just about every week, there is a new "America Suxorz LOL" thread. Apparently you have read any of the comments on this thread because there are plenty of people acknowledging our flaws. Also why aren't there any, "(x country) sux" threads here?
See here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.78302?page=1] (That's the only thread I've found that comes close to '(x country) sux'.)

matrix3509 said:
Hmmm could it be that everybody else has temper tantrums when their country is criticized? The fact that know one has reported this thread yet proves that we can take criticism, despite the fact the people doing the criticizing turned into trolls a few pages ago. I get kinda sick of all these armchair American Haters when they let one president color their opinion, when they most likely haven't met a single real American in their life.
Yes, I feel like apologising for those hypocritical trolls (as I've stated previously, their countries suffer similar problems to the US and it's just ignorant of them to criticise America so heavily). And I have met a single American (Only one, unfortunately) and she was a goth who really didn't make a good representative of America.

SkinnySlim

Oct 23, 2008
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Ho hum, why do we bother. I am enjoying everyone bashing on the good ol USA. Why bother defending against such idiocy? Why is America so awesome? I will tell you. I have everything I will ever want, and I earned it with my own hands, never having to ask anyone for a hand out. I have never lived in fear of the enemies of my government, nor have I ever feared my own government. I have traveled the world defending this nation, and seen those nations that are apparently so much better than mine, and found them lacking. I have never been negatively affected by any media or government corruption that in any way decreased my happiness or standard of living. Is my nation wealthy? You bet, and it shows in the %GDP that my government gives to all of you. Are my peers wealthy? You bet, and it shows in the charitable donations that they give to you, by far the most per capita of any nation.

It is easy to throw stones at the Ivory Tower, but at the end of the day, you all live in it's shadow...
That made me laugh. You guys over extend your budget each year so much so that your health care system is rubbish and your education system lacking. Your country was the butt of every nations jokes since George Bush was first elected. Who the hell are you to say that your country is so much better then everyone elses? America is not without its flaws. Nor is any country.

Sorry, I'm not usually an America basher by any means, I just found this guys post so pretentious it made me ill.
yeah, I can see how our health system is so broken, since I know of TWO people with no insurance and no jobs that are getting absolutely free health care. One a free kidney transplant, the other free care for severe diabetes. The broken health care system argument is broken. it's called medicare and medicaid, and our government is the largest health care provider in our nation. That argument is carried by rich folk who wouldn't know a down on their luck poor person if they tripped over their dead body. Besides, practically every major medical advance has come from the US, so enjoy! But please, continue to bash, I love being on top, looking down at all of you! Have a nice, American influenced day!
That's fine! Have fun 'looking down' on all of us while we hate you.. Not all Americans, just the pretentious twats.

*looks up* Case in point!
Ha Ha! In the words of our great president, "Mission Accomplished!" To be honest, I am not really all about "America is #1" so much as I am all about getting a rise out of folks, so thank you! Truthfully, I know we are not perfect, but taken as a whole, it is not a bad place to live. Actually, I have been surprised at how similar most countries are, if you take away a few basic differences. Come give us a visit, may I suggest Chicago or San Diego, my two favorites? Besides, we could use the extra tourist bucks, to be honest! 8 trillion in bailout bucks, and still going!

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Baiting-Master said:
/b/ would like to say...

who cares?
Rules 1 and 2!
Just kidding. To paraphrase myself, America is so awesome because it's where I live.
As well as the other six most awesome people in the world.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
L33tsauce_Marty said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
ok now bear in mind I am about to simply argue for the sake of argument now. As I said I like America, but still...here we go. (put's asshole hat on)

Right.

You called Communism 'oppressive' so you either have the american flag tattooed to your arse or your middle name is America. Communism is an ideology of a classless structure, one that works AGAINST oppression. And since when has America protected the world from communism?

You give out more money than any other foreign government because you are the richest nation on earth. However there are many promised obligations and responsibilities that you have not followed through.

The reason they go to you to study is probably because they couldn't get into Oxford.

You don't own up to what you do. And if you do, then it takes years of protest and public outcry, or simply because you have no choice but to do so. Look how long it took for Bush to say what he did in Iraq was wrong, and it wasn't like a public declaration either, he kind of left it as a passing comment. And don't even get me started on the Iran-Contra Affair.

There is somewhere else where you can experience such a diverse array of cultures, it's called great Britain, or hell, let's just go for London.

There are many places you slander your president/prime minister and get away with it, London for one, Italy for another.

The science part is due to the funds that you own, that is why you ended up doing such a large percentage, and that is a good thing after all.

As for the healthcare part, isn't Cuba's far better than your's, Britains, or anyone elses for that matter?

The missiles in Poland are simply there to flex the American muscle, because they simply want to rattle some cages on the Russian front, to me the protection of poland is a byproduct. The chances of Russia invading poland are low, the last time someone invaded poland they got their arse handed to them, and publicly. If they were invaded now many major countries would go there to help. What stopped America from giving them the financial power and means to defend themselves, rather than openly installing missiles to increase tension?

No one is shooting said nutjobs, it's not like their lives are in danger, plus this is hardly a valid comment, there are people who would say that they would leave their country for various reasons, and are still there, part of the reason being because they aren't keen on drastic change.

What tends to happen is that the 'stepping on a few toes' ends up being violation of international law, and murdering millions for something that is better in theory, but in practice makes things worse.

It is one thing to like America, but the weapons-grade Jack-assery that you appear to be showing in that post is something I can't sit idly by and let stay unscrutinised.
1. Oh yeah North Korea is working out quite well.

2. Don't act like where you are from is poor, you can give out money to.

3. That isn't the point of what he was talking about.

4. The point is you CAN do those things, because if you haven't noticed in some places you can't.

5. Why would I want to go to Oxford? I have perfectly fine Universities right here closer to me, and maybe I will being a citizen of Poland and get it cheaper there.

6. Look at Japan in 1945.

7. People whine other places.

8. Name one example.
I haven't numbered my point's, so I don't think you responded to all of them, so I will do this to what I think you have responded to.

1. That is the people running the communist ideology, not the ideology itself. And why did you choose North Korea? Why not Cuba? And cuba is one of the nations that Could have done a lot better had America not interfered (One example being the embargo) and is possibly one of the countries that disprove the whole 'communism is evil' nonsense that has gone around for long enough.

2.Who said where I am from, we do not give out money? because I sure didn't. And for your information we do.

3. I know, but the rest of the world does NOT go to america to study. How about some kind of citation before you throw claims like that around. Besides Why do so many Americans and other people come to Britain to Go to Oxford?

4. I don't understand what point this was aimed at. Please show me and I will respond accordingly.

5. Because Oxford is one of the best Universities in the world. I would assume that if all had your mentality then many universities would be quite empty.

6. Why?

7. What?

8. The Invasion of Grenada.
1. Cuba probably wouldn't be doing so great anyway. It's still an opressive government.
2. Well I assume you aren't from a poor nation because you can get on the internet.
3. Sure they don't. But there isn't that many people flogging just to Oxford anyway.
4. ( I have no clue what I was talking about either)
5. But no one does, I just prefer one that is closer to home.
6. I was refering to how you said we don't stand up to what we say.
7. I was talking about what you said about complaining people.
1. Prove it, because they were actually doing very well with aid from the soviet union back in the day. When the union collapsed, I assume that America saw a chance to isolate Cuba by the embargo. His government being oppressive is a matter of opinion, as the half that loved him did so because of the top notch university education, social welfare and practically guaranteed employment.

2. I am from Great Britain. And as I have said before my nation does give out money to poorer nations, so this changes nothing that has been said.

3. I can tell you that there are many people flogging to oxford and other british universities, and why wouldn't there be? There are also many people flogging to american ones but not HALF of the world.

4. Fair enough :-D

5.Also fair enough ;-)

6. It was owning up to what you do, and my previous comments still stand i'm afraid.

7. Sorry friend, I can't pinpoint where I said that, could you help me on that one?

NDBurke

Apr 25, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
Living in Los Angeles I used to think that America was obviously better than Mexico. Then I moved to the midwest and discovered small family restraunts with worse hygene and health violations than any taco shack or food cart I have ever eaten at in Mexico.

Basically, Los Angeles is better than Mexico and every country has gnarly places with crusty carpet.

One awesome thing about america though is that the standard of living for poor people is higher than that of poor people in other countries. That's why our poor people are so apathetic is because though their situation sucks, it doesn't really suck that bad. (Yes I have been poor before.)
Excuse me, but I HIGHLY disagree.

Perhaps higher than in Mexico good sir. But having lived in both Canada and the United States, I can personally attest to the abysmal conditions of the lower classes in the US compared to those living in Canada.

If anything, the RICH live better in America than the rich in most countries in the world.

Edit: And if you'd care to retort that, then consider your challenge accepted!

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
NDBurke said:
BallPtPenTheif said:
Living in Los Angeles I used to think that America was obviously better than Mexico. Then I moved to the midwest and discovered small family restraunts with worse hygene and health violations than any taco shack or food cart I have ever eaten at in Mexico.

Basically, Los Angeles is better than Mexico and every country has gnarly places with crusty carpet.

One awesome thing about america though is that the standard of living for poor people is higher than that of poor people in other countries. That's why our poor people are so apathetic is because though their situation sucks, it doesn't really suck that bad. (Yes I have been poor before.)
Excuse me, but I HIGHLY disagree.
And you would be wrong. The majority of poor people in America don't have to hike to get water, have functional plumbing and electricity, and can afford fast food off the value menu. This isn't a pissing contest on who's poor people are more awesome, I simply said that America's poor people have a higher standard of living than most countries... as does Canada. So though what you say about Canada may be true, it is quite irrelevant to my statement.

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
SkinnySlim said:
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Ho hum, why do we bother. I am enjoying everyone bashing on the good ol USA. Why bother defending against such idiocy? Why is America so awesome? I will tell you. I have everything I will ever want, and I earned it with my own hands, never having to ask anyone for a hand out. I have never lived in fear of the enemies of my government, nor have I ever feared my own government. I have traveled the world defending this nation, and seen those nations that are apparently so much better than mine, and found them lacking. I have never been negatively affected by any media or government corruption that in any way decreased my happiness or standard of living. Is my nation wealthy? You bet, and it shows in the %GDP that my government gives to all of you. Are my peers wealthy? You bet, and it shows in the charitable donations that they give to you, by far the most per capita of any nation.

It is easy to throw stones at the Ivory Tower, but at the end of the day, you all live in it's shadow...
That made me laugh. You guys over extend your budget each year so much so that your health care system is rubbish and your education system lacking. Your country was the butt of every nations jokes since George Bush was first elected. Who the hell are you to say that your country is so much better then everyone elses? America is not without its flaws. Nor is any country.

Sorry, I'm not usually an America basher by any means, I just found this guys post so pretentious it made me ill.
yeah, I can see how our health system is so broken, since I know of TWO people with no insurance and no jobs that are getting absolutely free health care. One a free kidney transplant, the other free care for severe diabetes. The broken health care system argument is broken. it's called medicare and medicaid, and our government is the largest health care provider in our nation. That argument is carried by rich folk who wouldn't know a down on their luck poor person if they tripped over their dead body. Besides, practically every major medical advance has come from the US, so enjoy! But please, continue to bash, I love being on top, looking down at all of you! Have a nice, American influenced day!
That's fine! Have fun 'looking down' on all of us while we hate you.. Not all Americans, just the pretentious twats.

Ha Ha! In the words of our great president, "Mission Accomplished!" To be honest, I am not really all about "America is #1" so much as I am all about getting a rise out of folks, so thank you! Truthfully, I know we are not perfect, but taken as a whole, it is not a bad place to live. Actually, I have been surprised at how similar most countries are, if you take away a few basic differences. Come give us a visit, may I suggest Chicago or San Diego, my two favorites? Besides, we could use the extra tourist bucks, to be honest! 8 trillion in bailout bucks, and still going!
Well done, it worked. I have nothing against America. What I hate is elitism. So if you're no an elitist then previous 'twat' remark is taken back! I would like to go over there some day. Heck, I'd like to go ANYWHERE. I'm feeling a bit too stoic. But with Uni and my lack of money it looks like I'll be here for a while.

SkinnySlim

Oct 23, 2008
Bright_Raven said:
notice how offended americans get when anybody says anything against their contry? touchy.
I don't think it's so much about being offended by your comments, but being offended by your (apparently) misleading post. I don't know much about obesity statistics and what not, but I do know that it is easy to lie with numbers, so every study one guy comes up with can be easily offset by some other guys. Take a look at climate change data and you will see what I mean. However, I will point out that those poor starving people in Africa (who absolutely deserve every once of aid we can muster) have received more aid from our President George Bush than any human being that has ever lived. He has sent more money, medicine, doctors, teachers, and misc. aid than anyone will ever admit.

CAB_IV

Oct 15, 2008
America is the world's greatest country because Our military owns, and we have really good marketing people.

Like Richard Jeni said, "If America was a person, he would be a Used Car Salesman with a Flamethrower".

SkinnySlim

Oct 23, 2008
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:
Cahlee said:
SkinnySlim said:

Well done, it worked. I have nothing against America. What I hate is elitism. So if you're no an elitist then previous 'twat' remark is taken back! I would like to go over there some day. Heck, I'd like to go ANYWHERE. I'm feeling a bit too stoic. But with Uni and my lack of money it looks like I'll be here for a while.
Ah, been called much worse than twat, for a whole lot less. And "Elitist Pig" is probably used by me three or four times a day. The only reason I got to travel was for the military, but it was worth it. You have to laugh at all of this bickering. I have never once felt slighted in my travels, but that was about ten years ago, so maybe things have changed. Oh well. I can say that I am a centrist republican, so I usually feel more insulted by my own people...

Nevins

Dec 18, 2008
Baiting-Master said:
TerraMGP said:
See thats just it. You are the exact kind of person I'm talking about though. You NEED america to be this big, pathetic, worthless nation because it distracts you from the fact that your country sucks too. You need an America to point to.
I read this far and figured that I didn't want to read the rest of your self masterbation novel...Fact of the matter is, if America didn't do it, other nations would have.

Like a teenager with a nice car, America likes to boast with a big head. Its only until the car crashes and they become numb from the waste down from being wreckless, will they relize they should just shut up and keep to themselves instead of flaunting around like the world is their oyster.

The world is not yours America, and you are not the best thing on it. Last time I checked, the rest of the world is bigger than you.

I also find it hilarious that you all go on about heroic acts in all the wars you have fought (most for your own finacial gain and egotism) your country hasn't suffered nearly as much as other nations (Russia suffered more than 20 times the population of casualties that the United States of America did) yet you go ON AND ON AND ON about the people that do good in your country...but thats only because only so few of you actually do anything considered good in the scope of the entire world.

The only thing you have done for the rest of the world is tried to make parts of it yours by force and then by trying to buddy up with it because you think they need you.

I watch your T.V shows from time to time just to laugh at how fake the American nation is. Your television programs and films are full of so much self love and pride I am surprised you haven't collapsed under the weight of your own heads.

You have nothing more in America that would make me want to leave where I am situated now. So how bout you stop going on about how good you are to the rest of the world. Your flag is no bigger nor better than any other flag in the world. So be happy with where you are, and shut up about it.

The fact that you need other people to agree with how great you are so you feel great just proves how full of yourself and dumb-founded you are.
So your entire argument is that if the US wasn't here, then everything good that we have done would have been done by others? Is this some sort of sick joke? You have essentially stated, by extension, that anything good done by a person should not be congratulated, because someone else would have done it as well. Should we not celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. because someone else would have done it? Should we ignore the titanic sacrifices made by the Soviet Union in the second world war (Most of that suffering was due to the Great Purges in the officer corps, but thats a story for another thread) and assume that someone else would have simply shouldered the burden?

And I particularly love how much you seem to loath us without any real reason. Apparently we are "Fake" and we have and enormous e-penis. Thank you, sir, for stereotyping an entire country based on people on XBL (whom we all know are such wonderful and respectable people) and some of our, in your estimation, shitty TV shows.

Oh, and America did shut up and keep in their oyster before, it was called Isolationism. Then they were forced out of the oyster by both World Wars, so unless you would like Australia (A country which I have a high opinion of an look forward to visiting) to be a satellite of Japan, fine, America should just ignore everything outside of it's own borders. And please don't insult the sacrifices made by the American people to aid those that they had never met. How did we stand to profit either way by Hitler winning in the Second World War (which WOULD have been inevitable without the massive industrial strength that America simply handed over to the USSR. The USSR suffered horribly, but just because Stalin decided that his officers were conspiring against him and had them all shot doesnt make his failure somehow our fault) America came out of the Second World War with 300,000 war dead, are you suggesting that we did this out of some sort of Jingoistic "Lets kick some ass!" attitude?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
As I said before. The only reason people here don't like America is for the same tired old reasons that everyone and their dog has used. This pretty much proves that almost every non-american in this thread has probably never actually met a real American in their entire lives and haev made up their "opinion" of us based on our movies and TV. Here's a tip: Get a REAL reason to dislike America. Get to know a real American or better yet you could actually go to America to form an opinion. Everything people hate America for is already a decade old, which makes you trolls.

Also a word of advice to any fellow americans: If you don't have anything useful to say, keep the hell out of the thread, because you only prove yourself to be as much of an ass as they believe you to be, and then their smug elitism will be even more thick than it is now.

qwerty102

Oct 17, 2008
Being a resident of USA of age 16, I can say that it is not very awesome here.

reasons:
1. As new generations are created, I find myself more and more awe at the potential stupidity, immaturity, and general lack of respect and discipline people have. (However, this could just be my town since it is full of rich people who treat their children like royalty)

2. About 75% of the music produced here is, in my opinion, absolutely horrible.

3. We are one of the three (I think) countries that still use the imperial measurement system (inches/feet, pounds, and gallons) whereas just about rest of the world uses the metric/SI measurement system (meters, grams, and liters)

Although it may seem like I have an obvious disliking for the USA, my problem isn't with the country itself, but rather with the people that live here. Other than problems with the population of the USA, I have almost none with the country itself (with the exception of the education system's policy of "if the students don't meet the standards, lower the standards").

clericalerror

Jan 7, 2008
There are a few reasons for the "America is the best" attitude in America. I'd like to express my opinion behind why I believe this is the case.

In the past America had the best of everything. They had open immigration, meaning that anyone could come to America to live their life the way they wanted, the pursuit of happiness. If you were a citizen of the United States of America then you had more freedom than any other group of citizens in the world.

As a direct result, anyone in America KNEW that they had it the best in the world. From that grew a frame of mind that people in America thought that they were the best and got rather patriotic.

Since that time a LOT has happened in the US that has damaged it. Lots of immigration laws have been created, lost a lot of free speech, too many politicians telling other people how to live, etc. Now the Patriotic people are still patriotic, but they have less and less reason to be every year they let their politicians take away their freedom. Doesn't stop them saying they have the best country, even if it may not be anymore.

SkinnySlim

Oct 23, 2008
Hmm, what free speech have we lost? I can't think of any lost freedoms, either. Sure, it takes longer to get on a plane, and people can theoretically listen to my communications, but I am stopped from doing neither. Please clarify...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Here's why. [http://www.cracked.com/article_16935_why-america-still-awesome.html] :)