Why is counter-strike popular?

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Are we talking about Source or CSGO? Because while I'm meh about CSGO, I liked Source because it was a clean game - no motion blur, no blood effects when you are low hp, no clutter. Just a solid bare bones game that did what it said on the tin. And ran on my old toaster of a laptop.

It harks back to an age when shooter games were more interested in being good than in being popular. Sure it has its flaws, but if I was given a choice between Counter Strike or the latest COD, I know which I would choose.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
DoPo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Most people play shooters wrong
Yes, this is something that needs to be said. It's why I finally left Counter-Strike - it's an amazing game, but the vast majority of people not only are unable to go with the simple rules it operates on, they are actively trying to pretend they don't exist. I've been kicked and/or banned on multiple occasions from multiple servers for some of the following reasons:

- rescuing the hostages
- planting the bomb
- defusing the bomb
- preventing somebody from defusing the bomb
- orientating by sound
- using grenades (no, not against my teammates)
- being able to guess correctly the only obvious place somebody could be camping at
- not directly engaging
- not acting in the predictable way
- exploiting somebody acting in a predictable way

And I'm not even good at the game. I've had friends who are good been kicked and/or banned for stuff like being able to land a headshot with the first bullet or taking out multiple opponents.

Basically, I stopped playing because the vast majority of pub players were not only bad at the game but wanted everybody else to also be bad at the game.
Allowing the community to customize rooms and kick people is both a blessing and a curse. Customizing rooms allows the community to make custom game modes or have like a knife only room without some asshole shooting everyone. Then, on the flip side, stuff like grenades will get banned just because people don't like them.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
DoPo said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Most people play shooters wrong
Yes, this is something that needs to be said. It's why I finally left Counter-Strike - it's an amazing game, but the vast majority of people not only are unable to go with the simple rules it operates on, they are actively trying to pretend they don't exist. I've been kicked and/or banned on multiple occasions from multiple servers for some of the following reasons:

- rescuing the hostages
- planting the bomb
- defusing the bomb
- preventing somebody from defusing the bomb
- orientating by sound
- using grenades (no, not against my teammates)
- being able to guess correctly the only obvious place somebody could be camping at
- not directly engaging
- not acting in the predictable way
- exploiting somebody acting in a predictable way

And I'm not even good at the game. I've had friends who are good been kicked and/or banned for stuff like being able to land a headshot with the first bullet or taking out multiple opponents.

Basically, I stopped playing because the vast majority of pub players were not only bad at the game but wanted everybody else to also be bad at the game.
Allowing the community to customize rooms and kick people is both a blessing and a curse. Customizing rooms allows the community to make custom game modes or have like a knife only room without some asshole shooting everyone. Then, on the flip side, stuff like grenades will get banned just because people don't like them.
I wasn't even playing custom rules - just a pub server on dust2 (duh) as well as dust/assault/italy/etc - the standard rotation of maps. The admins were 12 year olds, though.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ShoobieDoobie said:
This game is pure shit.

Here is a list of "tactics" in counter-strike:
Oh boy! Tactics! I love tactics! Maybe you'll have one I don't know!

A tactical shooter with 1-way objectives encourages one team to camp said objectives? Say it ain't so!

Off to a rough start.

-Teammate baiting
Well, if your team mates are dumb enough for fall for it...

-Hide like a little ***** using only the OHKO sniper rifle every single round
Did someone get sniped while running around in the open? The poor thing, I'm so sorry. Send my condolences to whomever it was. :(

-play nothing but cs_office and if playing any other map vote to change the map to cs_office and succeed 90% of the time
cs_office. All the time.

I mean, it's not like de_dust, de_dust2, and other bomb maps are almost universally more popular than any hostage map. No sir. It's all cs_office. You're certainly right about that.

Also I won a case or something but in order to open it I need a key that I have to pay something like $3 for what kind of bullshit game design is that?
It's $2.50, and it's something you can ignore.

I'm disappointed, OP. You talked of tactics but I saw nothing new in your rant. I was hoping for some insider information but, instead, I got a beginners course.

I guess I'll just have to go back to playing and trying to learn them myself. Thanks anyway.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008

Well that went downhill faster than an otter on a skateboard.

Gonna close this off here.