Why is everyone so down on Fallout 3?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I didn't play any of the previous Fallout games (well, a bit of the Fallout Tactics, but it was strictly for multiplayer).

The story is among the worst I've ever seen.
The core gameplay isn't as awesome as one might think, since wandering around a wasteland is boring when there's nothing to see or really do.
Really, the best parts of the game are the missions, and most of those are just blando step-n-fetch quests.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
duchaked said:
not sure why people hate the main quest. personally I loved it and towards the end when it all came crashing together I was like OHHHH awesome!

yes, I did find myself at the end standing up to my eyeballs in radiation flipping through my notes like a panicked college student seconds before the final exam starts...and on that note back to studying =.=
yeah I loved the main quest...

but as I said, if you dont have "broken steel" then it does slap you in the face in the end..which is bad if you actually give a damn about whats going on

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
A 50 hour game should have hundreds of equipment not a couple dozen of them......also broken skill and VATS systems make it the worst game Bethesda has had their hands in.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Lots of Fallout fans don't like it because it screwed with the lore (The Brotherhood as white knight heroes, The Enclave...exists, Harold, the GECK) and lost the humor that was always a part of the series.

Me? I hated Fallout 3 for different reasons, because it was my first Fallout game. Mostly, I'd say it just lacked a soul. The world just felt like random locations that have little to do with each other, and it was all visually bland or grimdark. It was an oppressively bleak game. The story was also very dumb and offered little meaningful choice until the very end (where you just pick the Stupid Evil option or the Good option). I don't think it was a bad game, but I just hated it.

I was apprehensive about trying New Vegas when it came out, but some things convinced me to play it. And I loved it. For one: I loved the faction system. It added a sense of continuity and consequence to the world. And I loved the overall story, especially how many of the side quests tied into it in some way. It had humor and interesting characters. It varied the landscape without sacrificing the post-apocalyptic or post-civilization wilderness feel. And it had things that were just there to help you immerse yourself in the world (hardcore mode, certain perks and traits, gear with a story behind it). It redeemed the Fallout series for me and made me want to try the first two games (and Tactics). That's why you hear a lot of older Fallout fans praise New Vegas and condemn Fallout 3. The latter is just a post-apocalyptic game without a soul. The former is a bona-fide Fallout game with a soul.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
Insane_Foxx said:
maybe i'm weird, but i don't know, i just found 3 to be more entertaining than NV. so *shrugs*

Also, never played 1 or 2, so.. that might help.
Can't be that weird, I'm the same way.

I like FO3. The story wasn't the greatest, but it did have cool thing like Liam Neesons voice, Point Lookout, the Pitt (i liked it), The Enclave (way cooler then the NCR/Legion) and you got to finish the story and be able to still wander around, unlike FNV.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
I think it's called nostalgia. I have played all the Fallout games, well OK I haven't finished tactics and probably never will and haven't got to NV DLC either but other then that I know the games pretty well.

So let's get to the point, yes 3 does not really fit into the fallout universe but I rather like it it's mostly dark and grim like post nuclear holocaust world should be 2 was a little more grim then 1 but NV went back to the goofy fun territory.

Story, 1 and 2 had better stories then 3, maybe in strict story book way yes, but that's the thing it was like reading a book, it wasn't a living world NV has it story stained by the goofy fun other than that I have to admit it's somewhat superior to 3.

Gameplay 1 and 2 have one big problem for me, turn based combat, it sucks so much ass, but then again I understand that there weren't really any viable alternatives for the turn based combat, but I still can't understand how is that I have 80 something % chance to hit a target and all six shots miss and it happens three times in a row, 3 is a perfect middle ground NV has those annoying collecting and crafting thing that you only really need in hardcore mod if even there, weapon mods a are a nice touch.

Game world, 1 and 2 are small technical limitations I understand, but still small what I don't understand is that how is NV smaller than 3, I don't actually know that it is smaller but it feels a hell of a lot smaller, also it took me abot 25-30 hours less to do everything in the main game in NV.

Overall, 3 good not perfect but close NV some steps in right direction some in not so right 1 and 2 may have been good games at the time but are old and ugly and date now, just like 3 and NV will be in 10 years time.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
It just wasn't as good. I mean yes it messed with the lore a lot but there were caveats there to protect it, however stupid they were (looking atchoo BoS). My concerns are more that it's just...lesser. Especially when we compare it with NV FO3 is lacking, it has no DT which makes the most terrifying enemies a cake walk and makes armour at best mildly helpful.

On top of that we have overpoweredness to the max, even without Broken Steel a character rapidly became a god amongst men to a point far beyond BethSoft's normal approach where you CAN be awesome but don't naturally become it (a la 100% camouflage).

Oh and Broken Steel was so, SO broken. Enemies became sponges, bad ending made worse etc.

Most of all though, no real roleplaying, you were set a role. YOU ARE the kid from 101. YOU WILL find Dad. YOU WILL purify the wasteland and YOU WILL fight for the BoS for the majority of the game with only a ridiculously lazy possibility to swap at the end of the game for no discernible reason.

I liked FO3, I really did, still do. It just wasn't as good as the rest and that's why I push the others.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
giggetygooo said:
How come noone mentions fallout tactics? loved that game even though it had more bugs than a bethesda game. feel like i may have missed out on something by not playing fallout 1 & 2 but...meh. FTR fallout 3 was garbage.
I stated earlier in this thread that I felt Fallout Tactics had the most polished version of the classic gameplay... the story just fell short when compared to the first two. I sincerely recommend you and anyone else who hasn't played the first two to do so at your earliest convenience. You'll easily see why Fallout 3's writing was so terrible. Interplay's Fallout Trilogy (1, 2 & Tactics) is still for sale on store shelves with updated Vista/Win7 compatibility for all the included games. And there's always torrents for the more shady individuals.

EvilGenius224

Dec 8, 2011
FO3 is a great game but h8ters always gonna h8te unfortunately.

With the mods that are out there for free download via the Fallout Nexus, FO3 becomes a brilliant game.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
HassEsser said:
striderkiwi said:
I've noticed it particularly on this site. Funny enough, it seems these same people love New Vegas though. They're like the opposite of me, I think Fallout 3 is easily one of the best games I've played on the ps3 whereas New Vegas was easily one of the worst (it was practically unplayable).
Yea, that's because, as people said before, Fallout 3 was inconsistent with lore, but Fallout New Vegas was not. Hardcore Fallout fans generally consider New Vegas to be the proper 3, and 3 is just a spin off you pretend never happened.
This is basicly my feelings towards Fallout 3. Lately i have been doing a Fallout marathon.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Wow if this is how people react to Fallout 3 how do you guys feel towards X-Com?

As for Fallout 3,

I liked the story, the setting and the world. Now I haven't played the first two but better story? "Go find water. You did. K, go kill mutants cause they are danger. K thanks." Yeah. That's top of the list in story making.

I liked the level up system. And unless you planned out every thing you didn't end up as "uber" least not in my case. I was good at shooting energy and guns, but not hacking, explosives, and big guns.

Loved the open world. What's that building, oh a cave to look at, oh **** it's an ant nest run away! Only complaint was downtown was a pain to find my way around. Hmm they nailed that.

As for New Vegas, didn't like it as much. I didn't feel like I was playing my own guy with my own adventure planned out, combat felt clunky, crafting(hahhahahaahahahaahah) was so mind numbing, and I felt like I was forced down a more corrider path than in 3.

I like Fallout 3, and to a certain degree New Vegas. But the more I hear about "Blaah blaah blaah Fallout 1 and 2 were better" the less I want to actually try them.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
adrakonis said:
Fallout New Vegas did this much better and that's why bookish people like it more. It has great writing for a video game. Great choice in what you can do in the world, and a sense that there is a reason for how New Vegas come to be. In New Vegas it is nog so much the present that interested me. It is how it all happend, and what I could do to change it all, to my liking.
New Vegas also had very smart writing along with decent humour, in comparison Fallout 3's dialogue seems like the mumblings of a child. I remember when Caesar started talking about Hegelian Dialectics in a historical perspective I wondered if anyone who worked on Fallout 3 even knew what the Hegelian dialectic theory was.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
As somebody who's never played any of the fallout games, imma chip in here because there's a trend that exists.

Whether or not something is good, when it becomes very popular it picks up a core of detractors who a) don't think it's all that great and b) are annoyed that everybody is shouting about how great it is and feel the need to make their feelings known.

This is true of everything extremely popular. Harry potter. Avatar. Mass effect. Bach. Shakespeare.

As an outsider who is peripherally aware of what people say about fallout 3, my feeling is that it follows this trend.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I'm not a fan of fallout 3 because the ending was terrible, one of the worst endings I've seen.

I mean, 20 min before the ending I met Fawkes, whose sole distinction is that he is a super mutant so he can survive in highly irradiated areas. So what the hell?

Fallout New Vegas was much better, imo.

rangerman351

Dec 27, 2010
Fallout 3 was easily one of my favorite console games, but man, the dark humor and references were astronomical.