Why Is Graffiti Illegal?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Unless you want the government to define art there is no way to legally differentiate between someone making an artistic statement and simple vandalism.

Personally I'd rather outlaw graffiti than allow it anywhere, or have the government attempt to define it. Some places do permit graffiti on their walls so as long as you have permission it's fine.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Well people tend to get annoyed if you paint their stuff without permission. If permission is given then whatever. Also welcome to the escapist.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
There is a completely legal side of graffiti where people do commissions, rent canvas space, and so forth.

Most laws can be boiled down to:
1. Don't take stuff that isn't yours.
2. Don't put your stuff where it doesn't belong.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Just because you think it looks good does not mean everyone does. If the owner of the property wants a blank wall why should he have to deal with random jerk XYZ painting on it, regardless of how good it is.

The same applies to public property. Just because you think its beautiful doesn't mean the next guy will. Then we run into the whole separation of church and state. If some Graffiti "artist" decides to paint a cross on the side of the Town Hall there can potentially be a lot of fallout.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Because you are defacing somebody elses property. How is this a difficult question to answer?

EDIT: I tried the REM sleeping diet. It fucking sucks to get started, but once started it isn't so bad.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
To prevent the infringement of the liberty of owning property, without it being trashed at someone else's discretion

I don't care if it's the most beautiful thing ever, no permission - illegal and wrong.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
Well I live in New York, an place with an immense amount of artistic graffiti, and whether its actually illegal or not, nobody actually seems to care. They kinda like it.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Gang-related graffiti is lame, but if it's actually art I'm fine with it.

Hell, if you just write your gang's name but make it look nice that's awesome with me. Personally, I don't care if it's illegal. At this point in time I don't do it, but I support the artists.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Simple answer its no. Artists get payed to do works of art in some places. Going up to someone's fence and tagging is against the law.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
I like my house the color it is right now....

However, I do think cities should seriously invest in multiple graffiti walls. It's a FANTASTIC idea.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
some places it is legal - for instance - slovenia. i went there last summer and there was graffiti everywhere. however. it was just... dumb. there were batmans everywhere. the only cool graffitti i saw was a chicken sandwhich (a baby chicken in between 2 buns)

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
This isn't rocket science. You can't mess with someone else's property. If I found it aesthetically pleasing I would HIRE someone to put graffiti style art on my store.

That being said the funniest graffiti I ever saw was on a transformer it was like a roasted chicken... with a penis for a head that said 'Dicken' under it. Really immature but it was so odd I had to laugh, much to the chagrin of my humorless partner.