Why Is Graffiti Illegal?

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
TheTaco007 said:
I like my house the color it is right now....

However, I do think cities should seriously invest in multiple graffiti walls. It's a FANTASTIC idea.
I support this idea.

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
A number of cities do invest in graffiti walls, however I don't like the idea of crap graffiti. Where people just tag and it looks horrible.

I prefer real aerosol art, paintings done by spray paint etc. They look kool and work best when the people who own the building say "we want someone to do this"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ever sat at a train and watched a parade of fifty penises go by?

Again, it's a problem of a few tools ruining everything for everyone.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Because, well me personally, I do not like the look of some dicks name splashed on a fence with black paint, or some retard tagging initials onto trees and sidewalks. If all graffiti was like those really artistic types, then I would have no problem with it; but point is that roughly 90% is just garbage.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Tagging is stupid as hell and should be illegal. I just don't understand the point of it.

Beautiful graffiti is awesome to see, and I like to run into it. My personal favourite was on the side of a building. It was a wet paintbrush that had drawn a streak, it started at the curb, went across the sidewalk and up the wall.

Saluki_princess

Mar 6, 2011
Soylent Bacon said:
You want someone drawing all over your stuff? Neither do I.

Besides, there would be the nightmare that would arise from such a vague legal boundary as "It's okay if it looks appealing enough."
Well said there. I second that.
Dealing with aesthetics when it comes to legal issues is even stickier than the subjective concept of obscenity...

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Aur0ra145 said:
EDIT: I tried the REM sleeping diet. It fucking sucks to get started, but once started it isn't so bad.
Interested, elaborate?

Also isn't graffiti with permission, not graffiti?

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Baneat said:
Aur0ra145 said:
EDIT: I tried the REM sleeping diet. It fucking sucks to get started, but once started it isn't so bad.
Interested, elaborate?

In regards to the sleep diet. I did it once. I hallucinated like a *****. It's hard to get down. But once you do (like I eventually did) it's awesome. I love being awake so much and getting so much taken care of.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
We're watching Exit Thru the Gift Shop in film, so I get where you're coming from, but there's a difference between graffiti and urban art.
One is normally petty, gang-related, or just for gigles.
And the other is trying to make a statement.

CAPTCHA: NRA thillati
...what?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I don't know, let me grab a few spray cans and graffiti your property, and see what you think. By the way, I'm a piss poor artist.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, I would guess it's illegal because if you don't make it illegal to change the aesthetic of a surface you don't own without permission, then it could be anything from genuinely good art (something like what Banksy does) or just tripe and gang related stuff.

I think what would be really cool though is if you had the state commission artists, or at least permit artists who have applied and demonstrated their abilities and submitted a sample, to decorate public spaces.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I've seen some graffiti make for an interesting scene, and a lot more with hate speech and the like.

As such, I think there is no clear way to define the law in a fair, just manner in which graffiti for an artistic purpouse can be achieved without it being misconstrued.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
if its artistic graffiti, then they probably could just ask the owner of the wall/etc to be graffitied if he can make an art picture on the wall beforehand

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Typical cats, always asking questions.

That would be because we live in a capitalist society where property is worth more than lives. I don't really see why people complain that it looks ugly. It's not hurting anyone and I'd rather see AHSAIR WAZ HERE on the side of a bus stop compared to DRINK COKE.

Pirate1019

Sep 23, 2009
On the surface, its illegal because vandalizing other people's property is a crime, but the real reason its illegal is because governments and corporations are mad that you didn't pay handsome sums of money to have your work shown to the public (See: billboards).

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Aur0ra145 said:
Baneat said:
Aur0ra145 said:
Interested, elaborate?

In regards to the sleep diet. I did it once. I hallucinated like a *****. It's hard to get down. But once you do (like I eventually did) it's awesome. I love being awake so much and getting so much taken care of.
Yeah but what exactly is this sleep diet mentioned?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
If someone doesn't want graffiti on their stuff and someone puts it there, the owner has been wronged. It's as simple as that, regardless of the graffiti's content. If someone wants people to put graffiti on their stuff, maybe they could make that known, but allowing anyone to spray-paint crap onto anything they want is very understandably illegal.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
There's a difference between the art and the other crap. The art does no harm and in my city, they're busy enough with the gang shit to just ignore the art. So it's basically not illegal so long as you contain it to things nobody care about; overpasses, the backs of highway signs, the abandoned freight cars, abandoned billboards. If no one cares about it and it's flat, you can use it as your canvas, just so long as no one owns it.