WHY IS MVC3 BEING SO STUPID?!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was gonna get MvC 3 anyway, having Amaterasu in it just cemented the choice for me. I don't see the point if having all the characters from the older games. Why would you want the exact same game?
Well look at MvC 1 and 2

2 had all the characters 1 did (well all but like 1 or 2) then tripled the roster size

and brought back the favs from the previous games

that's what they should be doing

(I am guessing here but I'm pretty sure I'm right)
MvC1 - 15 (plus 8 secrets)
MvC2 - 56
MvC3 - SHOULD BE MORE NOT LESS

Edit: mvc3 is going for 30'ish last I checked
This argument is HIGHLY flawed.

First of all, MvC2 was able to have such a large roster because they could re-use sprites from previous games. I think they only added about 6 (if that many) original sprites to that game, the rest came from previous fighting games.

MvC3 can't do that. They're using 3-D models for this game, all of which have to be created from the ground up. They're also MUCH more difficult to create than sprites.

Not only that, but MvC2 was more than alittle guilty of roster padding. War Machine and Bone Claw Wolverine were straight-up pallet-swaps, and they had no less than 4 "shoto" characters.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, they've clearly put alot more effort into this game than they EVER did with MvC2.

Now, I can understand you missing characters they had to cut. I too have a few that I wish they had carried over to the new game (namely Captain Commando and Megaman). They had to make some hard choices, making a game like this with 60+ characters right out of the gate would take ALOT of time. Would you be willing to wait an extra year or two to play this?

All of the new characters look fantastic, and run the gambit of "high profile well known characters", to fan-favorites, to the straight-up unknowns. Throwing a few unknown characters into games like this is a GOOD thing, it introduces you to characters you otherwise might never have heard of. Hell, Captain Commando is only as popular as he is BECAUSE of the versus series, otherwise, he too would be an unknown.

Now, if you want to play with Hayato, Zangief, and Venom, fine. Go play MvC2, it's still there. As for me, I'm going to be enjoying the hell out of MvC3, with Deadpool, Super-Skrull, and Sir Arthur.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was gonna get MvC 3 anyway, having Amaterasu in it just cemented the choice for me. I don't see the point if having all the characters from the older games. Why would you want the exact same game?
Well look at MvC 1 and 2

2 had all the characters 1 did (well all but like 1 or 2) then tripled the roster size

and brought back the favs from the previous games

that's what they should be doing

(I am guessing here but I'm pretty sure I'm right)
MvC1 - 15 (plus 8 secrets)
MvC2 - 56
MvC3 - SHOULD BE MORE NOT LESS

Edit: mvc3 is going for 30'ish last I checked
Capcom had to create new models...they could just copy paste characters from different fighters like they did for MvC2, hence why there are less characters.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Mega Man and Frank West will be DLC
they added Deadpool because he's gaining popularity and is overall a totally badass character.
I am totally dissappoint in Marvel's roster. Capcom's is pretty good, but Marvel's is just pitiful... for every Deadpool, Super Skrull, or Taskmaster, we get She-Hulk, MODOK, or X-23...

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Phoenix09215 said:
My only issues are that Ken isn't in it, She hulk IS in it (theres plenty better female Marvel chracters to choose from) and that Sentinal look smighty overpowered... And Amaterasu being in it is awesome, same goes for Zero.
Ken isn't in it? then I am not buying it. Sheesh.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
WOPR said:
but hey, we're given Dead Pool (who?)
I know that you now know who he is, but how the hell could you say DeadPool (Who?)

He is simultaneously one of the most badass, hilarious, original, fourth-wall breaking, psychotic, unpredictable comic characters in Marvel, if not any comic book.

You do not "Who?" Dead-Pool, and anyone even loosely familiar with Marvel would know him.

But I shan't comment on the rest because most of it is justified.

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010
It has three Darkstalkers' characters in it. Three!! I need to buy it now!

Aside from them, Deadpool, Amaterasu, Dante, and Wesker all look pretty cool!

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
You seem kind of whiny.

Also, a lot of that you named would have a similar moveset, they're just streamlining it.
I'd also imagine a lot of them will make the DLC pack, Megaman espically...even though Arthur is essentially Megaman atm.

And Dante's worrying you? Really? Go take a look at the Sentinel game-play video.

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
less characters = easier to balance, although Seth Killian was speaking as though broken is a point of pride "Trish will easily be the best character in the game..." whatever, it still looks like fun times, so I'll be buying it.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
So far I've been pretty pleased with the character choices, Dead Pool, Dante, Wesker, nice. I was frankly glad that some of the more overused MvC characters were not present, such as Mega Man, but unfortunately, some of the characters I've gotten sick to death of, such as Ryu...UGh... Chun Li... DOUBLE UGH... Morrigan and so on... were in. It's nice to see Capcom make a vs game that isn't basically a re-hash of their previous roster, so the non-returning cast is fine by me.

I'm more upset by the limited palette or characters which seem derivative in choice. We get Mike Haggar but no Zangief? GREAT! They would've been two of the same thing, just a different picture. Zangief emulated the American Pro-wrestler Iron Mike Haggar in the first place, so it's natch we don't get both of them. But many other choices bother me. We already have THE Hulkk, why also get SHE Hulk? Aswith Wolverine/X23 (whose popularity continues to elude me, a character with all the depth of a kiddie pool), Dante/Lisa... Capcom and Marvel are both companies with huge rosters of vibrantly different characters from decades of material. Why throw in multiple characters from the same franchise? (Yes, I know 'because they're popular') Why not give us more variety, more of the characters from the spectrum of interwoven stories, the heroes and anti-heroes, villains and indifferent jerks that've kept us shelling out cash for generations?

In summation, No Ken? Thank gods. No Gambit? Awesome. I'd rather see one Hsien Ko, Devilot, Doctor Strange or Ghost Rider than a dozen of the tired overused pop-u-characters ANY day.

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
WOPR said:
Well, I've been doing some research and found that the following characters will not be in MvC3

Black Heart, Venom, Strider Hiryu, Thanos, War Machine, Mephisto, Cyclops, Gambit, Juggernaut, Captain Commando, Jin, Anakaris, Mega Man, Dhalsim, Ken, Zangief, Hayato

and I the only one ticked off about this?

Megaman was replaced with Zero, instead of having both

Strider apparently "didn't fit in"

And zengief was REPLACED by Mike Hagger... I could have sworn that people wanted to see the two fight?

but hey, we're given Dead Pool (who?) and the dog from Okami... as if they can replace Black Heart, Strider, Venom, Megaman, etc.

oh and Shumo-Gorath is a DLC

and they did take out Iceman, so at least we're not broken anymore... however Dante is worrying me.

So what's your opinion on all this?

EDIT: I know who Dead Pool is, I'm just wondering why they took such a random unknown character... maybe because he was the closest thing to Dante marvel had (other than Punisher)
I agree on the following: megaman(or at least X to go Along with zero)Strider, Cap. commando, gambit, venom, Zangief, and cyclops as a fighter even if I hate him as a character.

Dormammu Is basically a better version of Blackheart if you look at the gameplay. Different moves, but the same idea overall if you really look at it.

War Machine was just a very poor, watered down iron man pallet-swap.

I've met loads of players so although I myself am indifferent to thanos, hayato, and Anakaris, most seemed to ignore or dislike them OR use them when they were not playing seriously.

Juggs was a noob cannon.

Also, yes I'm joining the Deadpool train. He's actually very popular, and possesses a bit of history. Just because you had not heard of him prior to the game announcement is not good reason to assume he was a nobody. I actually know a few people who got more interested in this game because of Deadpool rather than the other way around. Not to beat you over the head with the issue, just wanted to add my bit.

Also, Okami is an excellent game that actually sold fairly well and is plenty popular. If I remember right it won some awards (or got nominated, don't quote me on this) and Is always one of the first games to pass peoples lips when making the argument for games being art. So, I have to say the same as the Deadpool thing: You not being into it =/= it not being popular. Also, It's a wolf, and It's Amaterasu.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
HigherTomorrow said:
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:
There's no way in hell they could keep the game balanced with 56 characters in the game.
With the exception of Iceman and arguably Cable... they actually did

Have you played it?
Have you ever played it? MVC2 balanced? Get out of here, at first I sort of agreed with you on some cuts, but come on, now you're just talking out of your ass.
No, I totally don't own the game that I play on my Xbox on a weekly basis

Senaro said:
The only character I'll miss is Son Son, but she was a minor unknown character anyways, so it's not like I was expecting her to make the cut anyways. I'm just happy Tron stayed.
Son son was an original character in MvC2
Son Son, the Pirate Girl, and Amigo (the living cactus)

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Reaperman64 said:
Oh gods sentinal...i take balance back, he looks uber
...well considering his fierce punch is just bending down and shooting a giant laser from his mouth... ... ...

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I seriously can't wait for this game.

I'll likely main Viewtiful Joe, Taskmaster (arch rival to Deadpool (whom I expect will be hideously overused)), and either Ryu, or Iron Man.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
New game = new characters?

Is it just me who likes this idea?

If I wanna play MvC2 I'll play that instead man

Plus Deadpool is awesome.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:
There's no way in hell they could keep the game balanced with 56 characters in the game.

Have you played it?
Are you evem remotley serious? MvC2 was one of the most heavily tiered fighting games of all time. Watch tournaments. Magneto, Sentinel, Storm, Cable top out the list, with only 15 of the characters even being considered viable. If you can beat your friends that don't know the game with your servebot, roll, rogue team, good for you. But that game was a joke of balance. Most of the reason for the reduced roster is the march of dev costs. It cost more per character with the updated graphics, though I was hoping for the Gief vs Hagar throwdown.

Resonantscythe

Jul 28, 2009
WOPR said:
HigherTomorrow said:
WOPR said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Have you played it?
Have you ever played it? MVC2 balanced? Get out of here, at first I sort of agreed with you on some cuts, but come on, now you're just talking out of your ass.
No, I totally don't own the game that I play on my Xbox on a weekly basis

Senaro said:
The only character I'll miss is Son Son, but she was a minor unknown character anyways, so it's not like I was expecting her to make the cut anyways. I'm just happy Tron stayed.
Son son was an original character in MvC2
Son Son, the Pirate Girl, and Amigo (the living cactus)
Sonson was the daughter of the (same name) player character a little known game that came out on the NES.