Why is Nickelback so Terrible?

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
The internet makes fun of Nickelback for the same reason they make fun of bros: Nickelback are just grown up bros. Singing about sex and drugs when they spend their nights binge drinking cheap beer and watching cable TV.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Well, Joe and Mary Nickelback were drinkers you see, and well, that didn't turn out well for their son Billy Nickelback, and that's why my ears bleed everytime my mom listens to her music...

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
I like Nickleback. No, they're not the best in terms of talent or skill, but they have some enjoyable tunes. "How You Remind Me" also came out back when I was in High School, so that may have something to do with why I still like them. Emotionally turbulent years plus general ignorance equals a love for generally cheesy lyrics backed by generic rock sounds.

They're certainly not my favorite and I wouldn't put them up against them. But I don't mind their first album(I have their second on my computer but don't really like it) and every now and then it's fun to look back on those impressionable years and feel some nostalgia.

weker

May 27, 2009
I listen to the less listened to tracks and their great, I think people moan because their most widely know tracks sound kinda samey but I tend to find most modern rock tend to have that feeling like the Killers.
I like Dark Horse and I think the other was Burn the Witch.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
They are bro-rock. They aren't "bad," they just aren't good. They are like Bud Light of music. They are for people who don't really care about the quality of the music, just that they can sing along while drunk.

I mean you could replace this with why is Applebee's bad, why is Bud Light bad, why is (insert other mainstream generic brand here) bad.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
They aren't terrible just middle of the road, they aim to appeal to everyone so they end up in the middle of everywhere with a kinda good and kinda bad sound.
This is just what happens when you aim for the masses, marketing molds you to not have a distinguishable direction so they can sell you anywhere to anyone, they just pump lots of money into marketing and things are insta big sellers.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
smithy_2045 said:
Completely generic rock with cringeworthy lyrics, and somehow became massively popular from it.
You, my friend, have just described almost every band and products in general for the last sixty years. minus the words rock, lyrics... and that's it. no offense.
....?

what the hell have YOU been listening too?
What I'm saying is that EVERY band has cringeworthy lyrics, and people these days just hate everything generic. find me ONE song that doesn't have lyrics that you can't help but laugh at if you heard them outside of the music.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Redryhno said:
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
smithy_2045 said:
Completely generic rock with cringeworthy lyrics, and somehow became massively popular from it.
You, my friend, have just described almost every band and products in general for the last sixty years. minus the words rock, lyrics... and that's it. no offense.
....?

What I'm saying is that EVERY band has cringeworthy lyrics, and people these days just hate everything generic. find me ONE song that doesn't have lyrics that you can't help but laugh at if you heard them outside of the music.

Those lyrics are not cringe worthy at all.

appleblush

Sep 13, 2009
Because they're a fairly generic rock band with a habit of copy pasting their own music. I think the better question is, why are people so concerned with the fact that a band is subpar. At least it's not radically influencing young minds - it's just kind of bad music. Not even the worst music, not even really popular bad music. Just moderately well know bad music.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
On top of having a bunch of songs that all follow the same progressions, they are basically a pop band, which means the audio mix of their albums is basically at the same volume throughout. This causes listener fatigue because of lack of dynamics.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Its just a trend. People hate them because other people hate them. People really are fucking stupid.
Now back to burning voodoo dolls of that Bieber twat...

But seriously, they aint bad they are just very very samey. I threw their albums in with Creed and I think the 3rd was Stained, maybe Crossfade or Cold or 3 doors down..., one of those 4, and all 3 bands sounded exactly the same that I could not tell them apart.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Redryhno said:
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
smithy_2045 said:
....?

ahh, you're one of those. no offense, but anytime the voice goes higher pitch then the instruments, I just have to either mark them off as angsty, ergo pre-puberty, laryngitis, therefore why the hell do they keep singing, or they have been using their scratchy,pitched voice too much, which goes back to the last thing, on a tour is one thing, in a recording booth or similar place is too much. another thing is that anytime you cry that long in real life, people will start to look at you funny. Music is decent, but again, becomes background to nails on a chalkboard, which completely destroys the point of having anything in the background but gunfire and a chainsaw. Anytime the "Cryer" sings I just want to reach through the screen and strangle him. Now when the normal voices are singing, sure they're then telling a story, singing, etc., but the Cryer just throws the whole thing off. You may complain about Nickelodeon being generic rock with cringeworthy lyrics, but this is just generic screemo.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't hate them. In fact I like some of their songs. Although I can't say I'm a fan of some of their more recent songs.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Redryhno said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Redryhno said:
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
smithy_2045 said:
....?

ahh, you're one of those. no offense, but anytime the voice goes higher pitch then the instruments, I just have to either mark them off as angsty, ergo pre-puberty, laryngitis, therefore why the hell do they keep singing, or they have been using their scratchy,pitched voice too much, which goes back to the last thing, on a tour is one thing, in a recording booth or similar place is too much. another thing is that anytime you cry that long in real life, people will start to look at you funny. Music is decent, but again, becomes background to nails on a chalkboard, which completely destroys the point of having anything in the background but gunfire and a chainsaw. Anytime the "Cryer" sings I just want to reach through the screen and strangle him. Now when the normal voices are singing, sure they're then telling a story, singing, etc., but the Cryer just throws the whole thing off. You may complain about Nickelodeon being generic rock with cringeworthy lyrics, but this is just generic screemo.
Not screamo genius, metalcore, huuuge difference, and these guys put more emotion and work into their songs than most bands. Also they are fucking amazing live, it's almost like a religious experience (hehe it's funny because they're a Christian band). This song is based off a true story too. Do some research and you'll see how powerful the song is.

inquisiti0n

Feb 25, 2011
supposedly every song is basically the same, but it probably only affects people who listen to radio a lot and are thus subjected to hearing it over and over ad nauseam, but that's their fault for listening to the radio in the first place.

they're nowhere near the worst

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Redryhno said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Redryhno said:
Vault101 said:
Redryhno said:
smithy_2045 said:
Not screamo genius, metalcore, huuuge difference, and these guys put more emotion and work into their songs than most bands. Also they are fucking amazing live, it's almost like a religious experience (hehe it's funny because they're a Christian band). This song is based off a true story too. Do some research and you'll see how powerful the song is.
Look, kid, all I'm saying is that, to me, anytime a band starts screaming at the top of its lungs it loses all semblance of talent when it comes to singing. Yeah, I've heard this song before, traditional Jewish name in the title, terroists, yada,yada,yada, all it is is Crazy Cora's story set to music in Israel. And so what if they're a "Christian" band? All that means is that they drink,smoke,shoot up,etc. behind locked doors.And sorry, but who gives a shit about what their exact section of music is screamo,metalcore,apocametal, who the hell comes up with these names?When you go to a store and you want help finding a cd anymore you have to list type,section,historical biographies and sexual orientation just to find a cd. You know, I'm starting to get the feeling that you really didn't read what my first few posts were about.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Redryhno said:
I'm confused...you asked for lyrics that ppl didn't consider "cringeworthy", especially when viewed outside of the music they're usually associated with, but then you discount one example based on the singer's voice/vocal style.

how does the voice of the singer impact the worth of the lyrics?

the lyrics are either good or they aren't

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:
I'm confused...you asked for lyrics that ppl didn't consider "cringeworthy", especially when viewed outside of the music they're usually associated with, but then you discount one example based on the singer's voice/vocal style.

how does the voice of the singer impact the worth of the lyrics?

the lyrics are either good or they aren't
Presentation, presentation, presentation. The best lyrics in the world can be completely destroyed should the background music be nothing but sirens,horns, and gunshots. same concept here, the screaming negates the music for me. And what I said was lyrics in general being used in everyday conversations, not just outside of the music they're associated with.