Why is Star Wars: Episode I Looked Upon With Despise?

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Imagine if episodes 4,5 and 6 were released after 1, 2 and 3?
I feel secure in saying, that all these hoards attacking these movies would have completely different opinion. on the matter.
It was a grand fantasy action show. if anything it's the fans' fault for getting overly worked up over a movie. AS IF IT ACTUALLY MATTERS... ... And i've been hearing far too much of this kinda talk the past week. Its no good ):

Sky Captanio

May 11, 2009
Seeing as it's my favorite one I have no clue. Qui-Gon was the best Jedi that ever lived.

Rest in Peace, sweet prince!

Jun 11, 2008
They took the mystery out of it. That was the real problem for most fans I think. That and they basically made Anakin Jesus with his mother having an immaculate conception. JarJar is also hated as people found him annoying.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Anyone who says that Episode 1 was in any way comparable to the originals deserves a quick thwap to the back of the head and a lesson in basic storytelling/narrative.

The only redeeming quality was that it had Liam Neeson in it. That's. it.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
skimmed over the topic a bit, most has been said

JarJar, i actually liked the military commander Gungan dude a bit
and Anakin, what was up with that semi-reversed sexual attraction by a 8(?) year old boy? Not the mention the 'ow ill just take this here fighter and accidentally blow up their command ship'

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
I feel secure in saying, that all these hoards attacking these movies would have completely different opinion. on the matter.
It was a grand fantasy action show. if anything it's the fans' fault for getting overly worked up over a movie. AS IF IT ACTUALLY MATTERS... ... And i've been hearing far too much of this kinda talk the past week. Its no good ):
It is kind of interesting how worked up people get about the prequels. Yes, they're very bad movies, but most of the hate from them comes from the things surrounding them, and their interaction with the original trilogy.

1) Expectations. It's Star Wars, hopes were sky high. They could have been Decent Movies and people would have been disappointed that they weren't Great Movies.
2)The Director. Lucas had complete control over the prequels rather than merely steering other directors in the original trilogy. When he cocked up these three films it weakens the original trilogy. Rather than being a well-made piece of art by a talented man they become reduced to a simple quirk of nature, brought about by other people covering up his crap.
3)Ignoring the original trilogy. People had ideas of what should have happened based on what the original trilogy said. When these events didn't occur...it just seems odd. Other things seem so at odds with the originals it seems like Lucas didn't even understand what made them so good in the first place. To crib from RedLetterMedia, think of lightsabers. They're awesome because they're mystical, and unknown. There are 4 lightsabers in the entire original trilogy (Vaders, ObiWans, both of Lukes), compare that to the hundreds in the prequels. It takes away the magic. Original Obi-Wan explicitely says how he was irrational and impatient as a student. We don't see that in the prequels, in fact, quite the reverse. Obi is patient and wise, Qui-Gon is the irrational dude. Episode I gets it backwards.
4)Degrading the originals. This is the biggest sin. Rather than ignoring bits of the original, the prequels actively take good ideas, contradict them, and grind them into the dust. The bodged together training in IV (with the prove, blast visor and sabre) become standard practice in II. That's not cool. And then there's the deal with the clones and stuff.

Imagine watching V. You see this cool, unknown dude in kickin' rad armour with a sweet ass jetpack. Who is he? WHAT is he? Why is he so awesome? Oh wait he's a clone of some kiwi dude...boring. Imagine IV, Kenobi's Force speech. "It binds us, guides us, connects us" oh wait no...midi-chlorians.

It's not just that the prequels are bad. They make changes to the plot that retroactively weaken the original trilogy. That's why everyone is so pissed.

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
StevieWonderMk2 said:
ZeLunarian said:
-major snippage-

It's not just that the prequels are bad. They make changes to the plot that retroactively weaken the original trilogy. That's why everyone is so pissed.
Did you just happen to watch that review posted up here a couple of times? xD The one voiced by someone who sounds JUST like the teacher from southpark who often says 'stop screwing around'?

Anyway. Can you at all accept things like the mood, settings and style change to reflect the story?
Let me give an example. First episode is light colorful, with silly characters and silly happenings. Then there's the whole teen angst thing of teen vader. Followed by the grim afermath of evil rising to power with takes place in a bleak and desolate future only to be won at the end of the day.

And all these 'degradations' of the originals don't make any relevant sense. What does the kiwi thing have to do with it? xD And man, that mysterious guy is actually the son continuing his fathers legacy and out to get revenge... Makes him a bit cooler that does imo :p
And yeah, when things were all happy there were many jedi around to save and protect. Sure the originals really made a big deal about this. So ofc they would ALL have lightsabres...

But man.. You have to admit. Darthvader really does seem to have slowed down in his later years. And obi wan too. Imagine if Luke had to duel with pretty much any acting jedi from the origionals... He'd get wooped :3

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I loved it. The plot was great and what you would expect Luke or Han to be in. Trying to free a city being controlled by the enemy. It is actually my second favorite star wars movies next to the empire strikes back. Plus Darth Mual is in my top three star wars villains with Vader and Grievous.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
ZeLunarian said:
And all these 'degradations' of the originals don't make any relevant sense. What does the kiwi thing have to do with it? xD And man, that mysterious guy is actually the son continuing his fathers legacy and out to get revenge... Makes him a bit cooler that does imo :p
And yeah, when things were all happy there were many jedi around to save and protect. Sure the originals really made a big deal about this. So ofc they would ALL have lightsabres...

But man.. You have to admit. Darthvader really does seem to have slowed down in his later years. And obi wan too. Imagine if Luke had to duel with pretty much any acting jedi from the origionals... He'd get wooped :3
Yes I have just watched those reviews, I even mentioned them by name. You can argue that maybe Boba Fett is still cool, but midi-chlorians erase everything that was exciting about the Force. And it doesn't matter what justification you have, seeing four hundred and twelve lightsabers stops them being special.

And the reason Vader slows down is because the original trilogy had real world physics. As RLM says, the prequels are like a videogame. Seeing Yoda backflip and jump of walls is kind of amusing, but is just downright stupid.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Because you spent a good portion of the movie watching a retarded pod race, the bad guys invaded for no real reason, Darth Vader ended up being the one of the most annoying kids in a movie ever then said kids magically learns how to pilot a fighter and takes down the bad guys on accident, or at least that's what I think.

Oh and before I forget, Jar Jar Fucking Binks!

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
There's a seven part youtube video that accurately explains all of the faults of that movie whilst managing to be funny at the same time. I believe if you search buffalo bill star wars episode 1 review you can find it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ahem

Without sloughing through the posts above me, to answer the OP's question, the reasons behind tha hate are:

1) Man behind the Curtain Syndrome

2) Over-commercialization and Pandering

3) Lucas in charge of the dialogue

#3 is pretty easy to understand, no need to explain there, but #'s 1 and 2 require a bit of explaination. In making the prequels, George Lucas ripped apart the mystery and mythology of the OT and layed bare some of it's inner workings. Take the Force for instance: In the OT, it's a mystical energy field, a version of the Grand Universal Theory of Everything, that Jedi could, through dint of birth/talent/luck, tap into and manipulate. It'd be like if priests could actually use the power of their God to accomplish great things.

And in the Prequels, the Force is controlled through the mitochondria in your cells, like Parasite Eve. So basically, ANYONE can be a jedi, just get a blood transfusion from one. Lucas also goes into detail(but not interesting detail) about the downfall of the Republic, and the Rise of the Empire. He shows us how the characters we know and love came to be, but doesn't understand that we don't need to know the individual ingredients to love the end product.(Apology to Patton Oswald for paraphrasing his bit)

The Phantom Menace was also a kids movie. That may not sound so bad, but you have to understand that the OT was NOT solely for kids, and had a general theme and plot that was more oriented towards adults. The prequel just pandered to the little ones to get them to ask for all the shiny Star Wars merch that was rolling out. Lucas played to his audience, just not the audience that supported his endeavors the previous decades.

Also, George made a deal with Satan to become immensely successful at the cost of gradually losing his sanity. I swear.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI] guy will explain everything.
I just couldn't get over his voice..

OT: It's just so kiddy, know what I mean? That and Jar-Jar fucking Binks.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Taipan700 said:
It's as Yahtzee said. Nothing a sequel or remake can do will ever appease the diehard fans.
But these diehard fans actually have really good points. A lot of the stuff they did was utter stupidity.

The first were fun to watch, and then the prequels came out and it was all about the senate and a forced romance build up and they didn't hit Anakin being utterly destroyed and then built into the scariest mother fucker in the universe at all. It was rather poorly done. We could have all cared about Anakin, we could have had memorable characters, but what we got was nothing of what it could have been. Even non diehards dislike the movies because they were bad, comparing them to the originals or not.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I really enjoyed Phantom Menace and Clone Wars (except Jar Jar of course), the characters were interesting and imaginative, the battles (small and big) were cool, the movies were very stylish as a whole I think. Its the third that spoils it, the guy who plays Anikin is a bad actor, I swear they cast him to appeal to teen girls (not the core of the Star Wars fan base) and the transformation between Anikin and Vader was far to quick, not to mention Padmey was never very well explained as a whole. Its a shame as the final battle between Obi and Anikin was preaty sweet.

FreezerBurn

Sep 14, 2008
I think the major reason is that many of the fans that loved the Original Trilogy and excepted it to be on the same level of epic. What they got was a Star Wars movie directed towards a much younger audience. They weren't the target audience and it didn't appeal to them as much as the originals.

And for those who complain about midichlorians, they aren't the Force, they don't explain the Force, and only serve as a means to explain the connection between the Force and everything else. The Force is still a magical wizard power as much as it always was.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Yelchor said:
You got some in-depth look at Obi Wan's character development...
Heh, um... what?

Yelchor said:
... And I think they did a great job with the child actors!
Um... uh... what?

Yelchor said:
I was able to take Anakin seriously as a character...
Wait, what?!

Yelchor said:
To me Jar-Jar Binks wasn't bad or overdone, he was the comical relief that CP30 and R2D2 previously held for the original movies and added alot of that classic Star Wars feel to it in my opinion.
'Kay, can't argue against that since it is your own opinion.

Yelchor said:
I can understand the negative views on Episode II and III, but Episode I put itself on the same level as the original movies for me.
... What...?

Ummm.... This wouldn't happen to be George Lucas, would it?