Why is steam so bad and yet so awesome?!?

MrBaguette

Jan 26, 2012
I can find ALMOST any game I want with steam but playing a game is always a gamble!! I swear I must have had at least 1 in every 4 games crash on me. Oh and thank god for those steam sales making game crashes less despairing to my wallet. So why is steam so damm unreliable?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
it's probably your computer, as I don't have that problem. could be a problem with your internet as well, causing problems with the cloudsync, but that's all I can think of.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Have you been buying a bunch of old games lately? Because if so, welcome to PC gaming. Troubleshooting is one of the more basic yet frustrating parts of playing PC games. It's also one of the most rewarding; you get a real sense of accomplishment when you finally solve whatever tech issue has been screwing you up, especially if you learn something new in the process. Heck, I'm setting up a Windows 95 virtual machine right now, because I have a bunch of old 16 bit windows games that I'd like to be able to play again -- and I can do it. Virtual box actually has full Direct X support, so it's fixed the last hurdle that was keeping me from being able to play literally any old PC game I'm likely to come across.[footnote]not to mention already own; a good chunk of my library has been off limits for a couple of years, just like it was in the interim between Windows 2000 being released and VDM Sound (and later, DosBox) coming out.[/footnote]

Anyway, as for why Steam is both awesome and horrible: It's awesome because the sales are so good. It's horrible because those sales come with one of, if not /the/ most intrusive form of DRM on the market -- yes, I'm including Ubisoft's always online BS in that. You see, steam checks the network every time you start a game too, and heaven help you if you have internet when you shut down your computer, but you don't when you start it back up[footnote]a common affliction with laptops, especially if you frequently go somewhere that has internet but blocks Steam with its firewall[/footnote]. Offline mode only works if you either set it to offline mode before going offline, or lose internet after having already started steam and letting it validate itself. Otherwise, you get errors telling you you can't play your singleplayer game because you don't have internet access.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
You're just doing it wrong

I barely have any games crash for me while using Steam.

It's either your computer, or just the game itself.

Sep 14, 2009
Argtee said:
You're just doing it wrong

I barely have any games crash for me while using Steam.

It's either your computer, or just the game itself.
roughly this.

mroe than likely your computer

my 90ish games in my steam library would like to have a word with you,especially considering there are at least 3 of them from obsidian in there.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Caleco said:
I can find ALMOST any game I want with steam but playing a game is always a gamble!! I swear I must have had at least 1 in every 4 games crash on me. Oh and thank god for those steam sales making game crashes less despairing to my wallet. So why is steam so damm unreliable?
It's more than likely your computer. I have dozens of games on steam, none of them crash because of steam.

If you are having trouble with a specific game, check the Steam forums. Some games don't play well with newer systems.

(Fallout 3, for example, doesn ot know how to deal with quad-core processors. A simple two-line edit to the .ini file fixes it completely.)

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Here's how I view Steam:

The Good: Sales, obviously, also the whole download and install your games on any computer thing is kinda the way I think software in general should be. I bought a license for myself, why shouldn't I be able to take it wherever I want?

The Bad: Having to start the damn thing, having its crap in the background whenever I'm playing, and goddamned auto-updating.

xvbones said:
(Fallout 3, for example, doesn ot know how to deal with quad-core processors. A simple two-line edit to the .ini file fixes it completely.)
FO3 and NV play fine with my quadcore and hit all four cores with or without an ini edit. >.>

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
evilneko said:
Here's how I view Steam:

The Good: Sales, obviously, also the whole download and install your games on any computer thing is kinda the way I think software in general should be. I bought a license for myself, why shouldn't I be able to take it wherever I want?

The Bad: Having to start the damn thing, having its crap in the background whenever I'm playing, and goddamned auto-updating.
Goddamned auto-updating?
Every time a patch is released for any game have installed, it downloads automatically.

How... how is that a bad thing?

xvbones said:
FO3 and NV play fine with my quadcore and hit all four cores with or without an ini edit. >.>
Hey, lucky you.

Me and several thousand other people were not so lucky.

Lucky for us, a fix was up on the Steam forum.

(Also, I didn't say new vegas. Just F3 GOTY had the issue.)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Caleco said:
It sounds like a problem with your system, I haven't had many problems running games through STEAM. As much as I hate digital, most of my PC library is through STEAM.

You might want to check your security settings and firewall, some virus protectors don't play well with STEAM. While it was a while ago, I believe I had problems with Norton interfering with it. You know the old "this will protect your computer by preventing you from doing anything with your computer" problem. :)

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I haven't had any problems yet, but my library is still pretty small. I think I only have like 5 games (3 I bought), but so far no problems. Guess I'm lucky. Got a key to get dead rising 2, so I'm hoping my luck holds out for that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have 171 games in my Steam library and the only games that have ever crashed were games that my old computer couldn't handle and Amnesia: The Dark Descent which is a game I know others are having problems with. Steam can't be blamed for system crashes most of the time. It's either the game or your system. With this many games you should really have your system formated and see if that helps.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Good: Nice to have everything under one program you can open and launch (seriously I almost threw my keyboard when d2d got eaten by gamefly which requires its own launcher.)
Bad: Their customer support service really doesn't exist. E-mail service only, which is pretty much copy paste of their FAQ is pretty disgraceful for the king of digital distribution.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
I enjoy steam, but loathe their customer support. To get my account back I showed a jpeg of the serial number for a game, and they said okay write the ticket on it, and I am like is this really needed. I swear the hoops they make me jump through

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Honestly I've only had trouble with maybe 2 games on Steam in terms of compatibility, Quake and Quake 2. Quake 2 has no music for some reason but if you go find ...'a demo' and put the disc in the drive while playing, you'll get music.

I don't know why it's like that? But it is.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
hmmm... steam itself crashes more often than any games I have for it... then there's the overlay on non-steam games. I think of Steam as a great idea that hasn't been perfected yet. Unstable but nonetheless lovable.

still, this is one of those your mileage may vary subjects, as it really depends on your hardware, which steam games you own and play, et cetera.
personally, I don't own any old games via steam, I've still got hard copies of em all.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
xvbones said:
evilneko said:
Here's how I view Steam:

Goddamned auto-updating?
Every time a patch is released for any game have installed, it downloads automatically.

Because updates can and do break shit. I don't want them until they've been vetted by braver souls in the community. Let me tell you about some infamous Fallout 3, NV, and Skyrim patches....

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I've never had any of the problems you are describing. Are you sure it is Steam that is causing the games to crash on you? It sounds more like a game issue to me or something fucked up on your rig.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Bought witcher 2 retail. Loved it. Messed up installing the wrong patch for 2.0 and now i lost the cds...prolly gonna have to buy again...this time on steam. CD projekt is awesome though and giving free enhanced edition so at least the money is going to people who deserve it. With any luck steam will feel like putting witccher 2 on sale again some time :)

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
evilneko said:
Goddamned auto-updating?

Because updates can and do break shit. I don't want them until they've been vetted by braver souls in the community.
Ah hah, the tables have turned and now I am the lucky one.

No steam patch has broken any of my games, and I do own both FO3 and NV.

(Well, apart from Dungeon Defenders' overpatching ruining most of the fun of the game and screwing up all the balances, but that's just my opinion.)

Let me tell you about some infamous Fallout 3, NV, and Skyrim patches....
And then you trailed off into ellipses.

You can't say things like 'let me tell you about a thing' and then not tell me about that thing.

Especially if it is so very infamous that I've never heard of it.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Steam is awesome, I've been using it since the very beginning and haven't had any major issues.

Occasionally a patch has broken a game, but it's normally fixed quickly.