Why is the Escapist obsessed with Minecraft?

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
Until today, I thought it was weird that the Escapist wrote an article about every single update to the game, and pretty much everything Notch or Jeb said about what might be coming in the future. But today the Escapist drew the line. Now we have a fucking SHOW about Minecraft.

I watched this show. It's not interesting. It's random skits. It's not even funny.

So, yeah, why is the Escapist so enraptured by Minecraft? I have Minecraft, I play it, but it's not THAT cool. What's so damn special about it that we need to get all riled up everytime something happens that's remotely related to Minecraft?

[Flameshields Activated]

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
You appear to be the only one getting riled up by Minecraft related articles if you don't want to hear about it the solution is fairly simple don't watch the show don't read the articles.Problem solved.

Futurenerd

Oct 28, 2009
thelonewolf266 said:
You appear to be the only one getting riled up by Minecraft related articles if you don't want to hear about it the solution is fairly simple don't watch the show don't read the articles.Problem solved.
Well, like I said, I didn't think it was a problem. I still don't think it's a problem. I just DON'T UNDERSTAAAAND....

Can someone PLEASE explain this obsession to me???

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
You hear of anything that exciting this year? We have sequels to look forward to. This game is new. I agree that the escapist has taken to Minecraft a bit much, but any game that drew attention this year has been a disappointment. Neither Dead Island or Deus Ex both weren't what people expected, and the 3DS is failing to make hits. The Wii U announcement really disappointed people, and COD Elite put up another reason for people to hate COD. What else has been a success this year next to Minecraft?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
thelonewolf266 said:
It's not so much the articles that annnoy me, its the fact that a most artircles are about it. I know that was worded weirdly but I mean that it's annoying that minecraft is being reported about so much.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Minecraft won March mayhem, that pretty much means Notch owns the Escapists soul, and that entitles them to loooots of advertising.

Not that i'm complaining, I love minecraft!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
You seem to be lacking the knowledge the Minecraft is rather popular. It's not just the escapis, Minecraft is huge. Many, Many people like it, and many people on every gaming forum want to hear about it.

Futurenerd

Oct 28, 2009
Jadak said:
You seem to be lacking the knowledge the Minecraft is rather popular. It's not just the escapis, Minecraft is huge. Many, Many people like it, and many people on every gaming forum want to hear about it.
And what I'm saying is, I know that, I just don't understand. Why is Minecraft so popular? What's so special about it that makes everyone think it's the best fucking thing since sliced bread?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The Escapist has been obvious fans of Minecraft since it's acceptance by the internet. I personally haven't watched the show yet. But I don't find it troubling that the Escapist loves Minecraft.
I love Minecraft, and many, many people on the site do too. So obviously the Escapist is playing to it's strengths!

Futurenerd said:
Jadak said:
And what I'm saying is, I know that, I just don't understand. Why is Minecraft so popular? What's so special about it that makes everyone think it's the best fucking thing since sliced bread?
Personally, I love Minecraft because it encompasses two great things; my current gaming hobbies and my childhood love of Lego. With the added bonus of unlimited space and unlimited creativity to build whatever your imagination can think of! Literally!

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Futurenerd said:
Until today, I thought it was weird that the Escapist wrote an article about every single update to the game, and pretty much everything Notch or Jeb said about what might be coming in the future. But today the Escapist drew the line. Now we have a fucking SHOW about Minecraft.

I watched this show. It's not interesting. It's random skits. It's not even funny.

So, yeah, why is the Escapist so enraptured by Minecraft? I have Minecraft, I play it, but it's not THAT cool. What's so damn special about it that we need to get all riled up everytime something happens that's remotely related to Minecraft?

[Flameshields Activated]
Haven't watched the show yet, and I find most Escapist shows to be either hit or miss really, so I'm not expecting much.

As for the Escapist's obsession with Minecraft, well, it's a runaway indie success, and it isn't even out yet. It's a quite interesting phenomenon, and its example is (I believe) a good one.

Also, Mojang won the March Mayhem showdown thing, so there's obviously enough interest within the Escapist fanbase to warrant this much attention to a game so popular.

And hey, most of the time there is actually an update on the game, rather than just speculation (*cough* Half-Life episode 3....) so even the regular updates are more worthy than the Valve, Bioware, and Bethesda attention which often reveals little to no actual info.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Because a Minecraft update brings new features, and people want to know about them.

Mind-boggling, really.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Minecraft is just popular. That's about it really. It's an easy way for the Escapist to milk hits on their articles, since they are so desperate for them.

AzrealMaximillion said:
You hear of anything that exciting this year? We have sequels to look forward to. This game is new.
Dude, what does that have to do with anything? Minecraft has been out for at least two years... it is hardly new. YOU might have just discovered it, but it has been floating around on the internet for a while now.

Woodsey said:
Because a Minecraft update brings new features, and people want to know about them.
Only if there existed some kind of notes-like object that documented the changes made in patches. And these bizzare contraptions could be posted by developers! Do you know what we might call these things? Patch documents? Patch pads? Patch... damn I got nothing.

Such a concept would revolutionize the very way we would play games! I'm going to patent this and make a fortune!

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
I don't like minecraft but think about it, the game as millions of fans, said millions of fans have this amazing thing called the internet, escapist is a site on the internet, so escapist makes stuff about minecraft so it can have more people following the site.

I brought this for you... just in case.

Hyperrhombus

Mar 31, 2011
The escapist is probably "enraptured" by Minecraft, as its readers enjoy the game... after all, it makes sense to publish stuff that people will read.

Futurenerd

Oct 28, 2009
ruben6f said:
I don't like minecraft but think about it, the game as millions of fans, said millions of fans have this amazing thing called the internet, escapist is a site on the internet, so escapist makes stuff about minecraft so it can have more people following the site.

I brought this for you... just in case.
Thank you. I had one but yours is shinier.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
some other succsesses: What else has been a success this year next to Minecraft?
dead space 2
bulletstorm
gears of war 3
catherine
F.E.A.R 3
crysis 2
resistance 3
PORTAL 2
l.a noire

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Because Escapist community isn't compromised of a random sampling of gamers. It is made up mainly of people who are interested in the evolution of games, and Minecraft is many very interesting things in the realm of games. It's an indie developer that has had unprecedented success. It's a very different genre. And it is a game about building a countless number of things, as opposed to the 99.9 percent of other games focused on being a power fantasy. And yet its framing device of surviving monster attacks (And now surviving starvation) add a good deal of accessibility to the average gamer. And also, the creative nature of gameplay makes it a very effective Meme vehicle (Meme in the Dawkins sense, not just the cat picture sense). This makes awareness of it spread like wildfire,

Futurenerd

Oct 28, 2009
bullet_sandw1ch said:
some other succsesses: What else has been a success this year next to Minecraft?
dead space 2
bulletstorm
gears of war 3
catherine
F.E.A.R 3
crysis 2
resistance 3
PORTAL 2
l.a noire
Bulletstorm was a success....

*snort* HAH!

That game came out and was instantly forgotten.