Why isn't a gun considered an elegant weapon?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
otakon17 said:
Probably because it is so young compared to the sword. And likewise, learning to use a gun accurately and correctly take comparatively less time than mastering the katana per say. I'd say a military grunt learns how to properly use and clean a firearm in less than six months, but that's only a guess on my part. To use a sword properly, takes more time and years to "master". And even than, that is not true for a master of the sword is never truly as such as long as other ways to use it exist. How many variations of technique and learning are there when learning to use a sword versus a handgun. Probably a lot, another guess on my part though. Though yes it takes skill and a steady hand to properly use a gun, I am not denying that.
It really isn't any different with a firearm. Only a person that has never fired a firearm could think there isn't any skill involved. It doesn't even take an hour to learn how to actually fire and load a firearm, but then it doesn't even take an hour to learn to pick up a sword and swirl it around. It takes a lifetime to master each weapon. Go watch some trick shot videos online. Those guys have spent an entire lifetime mastering their craft.

Booradlee

Jul 3, 2011
Geopardy said:
Ordinaryundone said:
I love how people keep saying (etc etc etc)
--Actually, I've just realized something massively important and so I'll cut to my conclusion quickly:
The reason people think guns are so inelegant is because when countries were invaded centuries ago the natives didn't have guns while the invaded did as they come from a more technologically advanced society and the invaders slaughtered thousands upon thousands of natives with their 'guns' and all the natives could do was pray that they would outlive the day. With this particular war I am referring to when the Red Indian's land was stolen from they are were nearly wiped out to extinction.

Wars are horrific and guns just make them more so. Guns are plainly used for evil than good things, and that is why I think they are considered inelegant.
I honestly believe that you regret writing this.
That you pushed enter and then thought 'Doh! I meant something a little different'.
I get it, I've done that, I've been there. Here's your mistakes.

The Conquistadors who first invaded the Americas? How do you think they fought, with their horses, steal breastplates, helmets, Swords, and a small musket with one shot?
I bet they killed more natives with swords than they did by musket.

Finally, I doubt many swords were really used for good. Especially when invading small island countries with their fancy steal weapons, body armor, and fast moving powerful horses.

Guns have not changed the brutality of war.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Maraveno said:
Wtf are you calling me out on

You're taking the reference to fencing way to serious
It's about the damned elegance in that
I'm not calling you out. I'm explaining that bringing professional fencing into a discussion of the artistic merits of gunplay vs. swordplay is about the same as comparing military tactics to a paintball match. I.E its a poor example because its not the same thing.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Guns are really loud while swords are not. Swords also used to be a status symbol and has been romanticised a lot trough history as well while guns are pretty new in comparison.

Either way I don't care that much until some idiot thinks spears are heavily inferior to swords or something else stupid.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Veldt Falsetto said:

Now imagine anything like these done with a gun...yeah didn't think so.
Of all the actual martial artists out there performing REAL demonstrations, and you choose a damn video game!? Exactly which kind of mental damage occurred to make you think that is in any way an airtight reasoning. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?

I could animate a damn elephant dancing and whoosing a sword around with its' trunk, does that provide solid evidence for anything? f*** no. Here is a sample so you don't have to worry about stressing your brain too much with imagining.

EDIT:

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Its simply a too simple weapon to use. Swordsmanship requires an understanding of what you are doing however one can use a gun off the bat.
Thus making it a weapon that can be used by anybody. Also it really is a kind of "Instakill".
Pull the trigger and its over.

I suppose thats my opinion on the matter.
And i think those bases were covered already so feel free to ignore.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
ShotgunZombie said:
Hell you can even add decals or engravements to give them that last touch of finesse.
You can do that with every weapon. Ever.

Guns aren't considered elegant because they aren't. They're downright blue-collar. Anybody can pick up a gun and use it to varying effect. Though the same can be said of other weapons, when it comes to the 'varying effect' bit but when someone picks up a pistol, the chance of successfully using it is far greater than that same inexperienced person picking up a whip or a butterfly knife.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Basic melee and ranged weapons are simple and when used in a complex yet stylish way makes them elegant however when advanced melee and ranged weapons are used they become "common" (streamlined) and more easier to use thus it loses the awe when someone can perfect the skill.

Weapons are designed to kill and not to impress, treating a weapon other than a weapon shows that you are trying to earn dick points.

It's subjective from generation to generation however the further back in history it comes from the more elegant it seems to be.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Guns are considered crude because they are a tool because it does too much for you. I will give you that they are complex. But they lack the finesse of a sword or a bow. IDK why they just seem to work that way.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
It's mostly because a sword is a romanticized weapon that is only used in situations where you can be "elegant" and dance around, while a gun is more of an everyday tool. Guns have been knocked down to the same level as beaning someone over the head with a wrench, they are the functional workhorses to the sword's preening but useless stallion.

That being said, there are some situations where a gun can be "elegant". Take sniper rifles, for example. It takes a lot of skill and training to use them, and much more to use them *well*. The same could be said for military pilots and the planes that they use (Okay, a jet isn't a "gun" per se but it's still a weapon of the same sort).

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Because mastery of the use of a firearm is a comparatively simple task where mastery of the use of a sword takes many lifetimes to achieve.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Because guns work at a range and can't be blocked (at least not by any living thing. Who knows what kind of crazy robot will be made efficient to create). If I want to kill you with a sword without them knowing you have to sneak up within 3 feet of them. With a gun you can kill someone sneakily while far enough to be invisible to the naked eye. Really I wish guns weren't invented the same reason I wish nukes weren't invented. One fired nuke could cause untold destruction even if it's from an otherwise weak country. I highly doubt anyone would be afraid of north korea if fights with swords would be the only way for them to attack. I feel guns are the same way in a smaller scale.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Bought time someone brings this up! ShotgunZombie.....you have brought to light what I've been thinking since my first day on the escapist, bravo!

People don't see it as elegant because they are afraid of its raw power. Ignorant morons will continue to say "hurr guns require no skill hurr durr" because the only thing they know about guns is what they learned in videogames, when in truth, learning to fire it takes no skill, anyone can spray and pray.....but, it takes true elegance to use a gun properly and make full use of its potential.

Lets all be honest, if two guys were in a fight, one had a gun, one had a sword...no matter what range it was, I'd rather be the guy with the gun because the bullet moves faster than the hand...and dont give me that "cut the bullet in half" bullshit, you and I both know that your not quick enough or strong enough for that

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Lotet said:
Eggsnham said:
You can pimp out your gun, but that doesn't change the fact that any idiot can pick it up and blast a master swordsman, who had trained to perfect his art for decades, to death in seconds.

In other words, you can pull an Indiana Jones on them.

Elegance isn't how cool it looks while it's in the case, but rather how cool it looks in the hands of a trained professional.

At least that's how I see it.
would it still be elegant if a Master Swordman threw the sword into Dr Jones' chest on sight?
I say yes, because throwing a sword takes a bit of practice and even then, there's no guarantee that the thing would still meet it's target with the pointy side of things. It's likely not weighted and designed to be thrown anyways.

So again, idiot picks up gun, shoots man in the face in seconds.

Idiot picks up sword, tries to throw it, and looks stupid as it goes ten feet in another direction and hits something with the hilt.

Chills41

Mar 15, 2011
The main reasons as to why I don't generally think of guns as elegant is because:

1) There is normally a bigger and better gun to use and so the destructive power is associated with the weapon itself rather than the person firing it and so it appears to be more of a tool than an extension of the self (a good example of this is Bleach where the weapon is an another aspect of the user).

2) Guns generally seem very impersonal because they are generally swapped or replaced (this is in media, i have no idea about actual military protocol on gun use.) and the idea that you can be killed from miles away and never know who it was who pulled the trigger just doesn't seem honorable and to be honest pretty cowardly. (Whereas swordsman have Bushido as a code of conduct and would be expected to keep the same sword for their entire lifetime, creating a sort of respect for the object, which over time, it begins to personify those traits).

3) Also watching someone use a gun is very boring compared to watching someone with a sword. I mean pulling a trigger isn't particularly the coolest thing to watch is it?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Catalyst6 said:
It's mostly because a sword is a romanticized weapon that is only used in situations where you can be "elegant" and dance around, while a gun is more of an everyday tool. Guns have been knocked down to the same level as beaning someone over the head with a wrench, they are the functional workhorses to the sword's preening but useless stallion.

That being said, there are some situations where a gun can be "elegant". Take sniper rifles, for example. It takes a lot of skill and training to use them, and much more to use them *well*. The same could be said for military pilots and the planes that they use (Okay, a jet isn't a "gun" per se but it's still a weapon of the same sort).
I don't entirely agree with this sentiment. The gun certainly superseded the sword for good reason but that does not, by any stretch, imply that the sword was a useless weapon. Modern infantry is known as the queen of the battlefield (while artillery is called the king), a title once held by the sword. Yes, there was often a better weapon in any situation than a sword, but the sheer versatility of the weapon is what made it a feature on battlefields for millenia.

The thing is, unlike even other contemporary weapons (with respect to the sword), the sword was difficult to master. It is a weapon that can be used both offensively and defensively (though, depending upon the era and make of the weapon a transition between the two states was often difficult) and is based on the notion of individual combat. The true workhorses of ancient battles, the spear, was a terrible weapon in its own right that was easy enough to master. But the spear has a series of incredible weaknesses that are easily exploited that can only be countered by sufficient weight in manpower. Numbers and discipline were the key to effective use of the spear. The sword on the other hand could be used in a wide variety of circumstances. It offered tremendous advantage in truly close combat (i.e. inside of the attack distance of a pike) and thus swordsmen were often used to break such formations. The weapon's versatility meant that it was effective enough in a wide variety of situations to make it the backup weapon of choice for ages.

There is a reason why some weapons are considered crude and it largely lies in the fact that such weapons are both easy to master and incredibly effective. The easy to fire crossbow is seen as the crude cousin of the bow. The firearm is much the same. These are weapons that provided enough of an edge and were easy enough to use to turn a sunshine soldier into a professional's equal or better.

This trend did not stop with the firearm because even within the catalogs of gunpowder weapons one finds similar sentiments. The precision rifle is more elegant than the machine gun for example.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Haseo21 said:
People don't see it as elegant because they are afraid of its raw power. Ignorant morons will continue to say "hurr guns require no skill hurr durr" because the only thing they know about guns is what they learned in videogames, when in truth, learning to fire it takes no skill, anyone can spray and pray.....but, it takes true elegance to use a gun properly and make full use of its potential.
A firearm is incredibly easy to use. So easy that one receives less than a month of dedicated training during their initial entry in any US military branch. Yes, it is a learned skill, but one that is incredibly easy to master when compared to something more complex like the use of a sword. In a few weeks, most people would easily be taught to use a rifle to hit a man sized target reliably at 150+ meters. In the same span of time, someone might just begin to grasp the most basic technical skills required to use a sword with any degree of effectiveness.

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
I would contest, have you seen what a sword can do to the human body? As much as anything, a bullet can only be aimed at a target, a sword, once inserted, can be twisted, wrenched, and cause far more spectacular wounds than a gun can. There was even a case of a master swordsman spearing his opponent through the eye, and then stirring the tip of the rapier so that the brain was cut to shreds inside the skull.

By the way, I apologise for this post appearing twice, I'm still not fully comp in regards to how to work the post functions on Escapist.