Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
itsmeyouidiot said:
Jennacide said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh.

>=| Nintendo is the lords of rehash, and people like you are how they get away with it.
How is that funny? If a game is fun, a different game that is essentially the same is also fun.

The leap to 3D in the N64/Playstation era seems to have bred a generation of spoiled gamers that are incapable of having fun with the same thing more than once. I genuinely pity you for being unable to enjoy a new game if it doesn't provide something new.
The thing is though, reviews don't consider a game independently of everything else that exists, as though it's the only game that exists in the world. They compare it against all the other games which have already been made - specifically, against the games with which the game they're reviewing would be competing.

In which case - if the game is just the same as something that already exists, what is the point in it existing? If you already have its predecessor, there is no reason for you to buy another game that is just the same thing again, when you can just play the game you already have again for free. If you don't already have its predecessor, you could pick up the same game for much cheaper by just buying its predecessor for whatever reduced price it is now sold at.

Games don't have a 'best before date', you know. If a game is the same as something that already exists, that doesn't mean that it's a bad game, but it does mean that it's a redundant and pointless game.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
So let me get this straight:

not only are you upset with his opinion, but you're also taking time out of your life to complain about his opinion? If you think his review is crap, then why are you going on a ranting tirade over it? If you think that little of him why waste your time complaining about it? How many times can I say the same thing over and over again? WHO KNOWS???

Alright. I'm done. But seriously, it's not the end of the world, his words shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game.

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
I believe this is more about consistency. I haven't played Mario Cart however i have played MW3 and would like to just say if feels and plays like MW2,IE not much innovation, but the way Jim describes Mario Carts lack of innovation and thus gives it a 5 but another that lacks innovation gets a 9.5

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
itsmeyouidiot said:
I'm not saying innovation is bad, I'm just saying that you shouldn't automatically assume that the absence of it is bad. You can have a sequel change the formula to keep things new and exciting, as long as it's true to the spirit of the original and still fun, but after a certain point, there's nowhere left to go. Mario Kart has reached the point where there really isn't much to improve, but that's not a bad thing at all. Don't act like you NEED to make a radical change with each new game to keep the series fun, that's just bullshit. You just need new levels, new characters, a graphics update, and a few other minor tweaks.
He didn't "autonamically assume" anything about it, he played it, didn't enjoy it, and reviewed it. That's his job. As he mentions in the review, sometimes sticking with a formula or returning to its roots can be great for a game, but sometimes (as is the case with Mario Kart 7 in his opinion) it's not. The review seemed fairly even-handed to me; in a lot of his other stuff, he seems to really like Nintendo franchises, so frankly it's good to see he isn't blinded by fan-loyalty.

mikey7339 said:
Why are we giving some out of shape stoner (judging form his eyes) any more credence than someone on these forums? Why is this guy's opinion important?
Seconded: why do you care? Reviews are generally there to offer non-fans honest opinions on a game, and not to appease already-existing fans. The art of reviewing is always going to be subjective, as there is no right or wrong conclusion one can have about a game. So what if a reviewer disagrees with you? I love Yahtzee's stuff, and he hated on my favourite game. I didn't accuse him of being a stoner, I laughed at the jokes whilst agreeing with some minor flaws and disagreeing with the rest. I don't need his validation to enjoy my game.

Besides, Jim didn't even say it was flat-out terrible, he gave it a 5/10: bang-on mediocre. :)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
God forbid someone has a differing opinion. Sorry that so many people are looking WAAAY to far into this and getting their panties in a twist because someone said something they don't agree with.

Wait, I'm on the internet. Disregard this.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
itsmeyouidiot said:
*SNIP* I genuinely pity you for being unable to enjoy a new game if it doesn't provide something new.*ENDSNIP*
if it doesn't provide something new, with what logic could you proclaim it to be new?

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
My problem with game reviews like this one are not because the reviewer has a different opinion, but because, in cases like these, they are pretty blatantly letting a personal bias/preference dictate how they judge the game's quality.

A game reviewer is supposed to look at a game and provide rationale behind its quality or lack thereof, not just say "I like it" or "It sucks." While most game reviews definitely have subjective elements, subjectivity being human nature, you're supposed to try as hard as possible to avoid letting personal bias get in the way and be as objective as possible, so people reading your review will know if the game is worth buying. By letting personal preference get in the way, you're giving people the impression that the game is good/bad based on false or misleading information.

Jim's argument here is indeed a valid point, Mario Kart hasn't really changed much, but he plays it up like it's some terrible crime against gaming, when in reality it isn't really a flaw at all. He spends most of the review complaining about lack of innovation instead of judging the game based on its own merits.

Basically, I dislike the review because it misleads people into thinking the game will be bad, and because he makes no effort to maintain objectivity, which is what being a critic is all about.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Thank you for providing me with a link; now I can actually read the article, and in doing so, actually find out why Mr. Sterling gave the score he did. Which, quite frankly, is more then I can say for you.

So... what's the problem? Should I assume that you liked this game? Good. Great. I'm happy for you. Seems that Jim Sterling, on the other hand, did not like the game. What a bastard. Clearly, he is wrong, because according to your own arguments... rehashing old ideas isn't bad? Really, that's all you got? How the hell did you manage to write a tl;dr out of one simplistic argument?

itsmeyouidiot said:
Let me ask you something, Jim. Does Mario Kart 7 have new tracks? Does it have new characters? Does it have various minor tweaks to the formula, such as gliding, underwater racing, and kart customization?

If you answered "yes" to any of these, you've invalidated your own argument. Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh. If a sequel has the exact same gameplay and graphics engine as the previous game, but has new levels, then it is still just as fun as the previous entry but is new enough to warrant a purchase.
After reading Jim's review, I can see that he more then covers this issue; in fact, he suggests right in his review that normally he enjoys games that stick to a working formula. What you seem to have oh-so-cleverly missed, however, is that "stagnation" is not the point he was trying to make.

Jim Sterling said:
Other fresh additions include gliding equipment and underwater sections. Although these new elements provide something aesthetically different, they don't actually change the game. Underwater racing is a little slower and air gliding is a little floatier, but their impact on the gameplay is minimal at best, appearing merely as vapid contrivances that exist to provide the illusion of variety rather than actually altering the core experience.

The only vaguely compelling element is the new kart customization feature, but it is about as streamlined and restricted as you could ever hope to get. You basically get to unlock and swap new kart bodies, wheels, and gliders by collecting coins in the various races. Each new add-on has its own set of statistics to help with speed, turning, and acceleration, but ultimately, you won't be spending much time on creating a personal vehicle since there's very little to play with. Same can be said for the new roster of racers, which doesn't really bump the character count up due to quite a few having been taken out. I'd rather have Dry Bones back than the uninteresting bee queen from Mario Galaxy.
So, what he's saying is that the new content is poorly implemented. As in, it adds very little to the game experience. As in, it's not enough to warrant a higher score.

Jim Sterling said:
It takes seconds for all the familiar problems with Mario Kart to surface. Rubber banding and fixed races are still an integral part of every course, and victory in a race yet again hinges hugely on the element of basic luck, with items such as the Blue Shell returning to punish players who commit the sin of maintaining success. These are long-standing issues with the series that many will likely have gotten used to but really ought to have been dealt with by the seventh installment. Simply put, these problems have grown incredibly tiring, and items like the Blue Shell stopped being funny several sequels ago.
In the above paragraph, Jim points out the age-old flaws with the series that Nintendo has yet to fix, even after 7 installments of the game. This kind of thing goes way beyond stagnation... These are some of the worst aspects of the series, which are appearing here again for god-knows-what reason, despite Nintendo receiving a great number of complaints every time they rear their ugly heads.

So, I have a question for you. What purpose does this thread serve? Are you hoping to encounter like minded individuals so that you can complain about Jim Sterling together? Are you trying to kick start a debate, which judging by your opening post, you are sure to lose? Are you actually trying to change peoples minds about the review they have already read? Are you just a troll? Whatever the case, I suppose it doesn't matter. Nothing you have said is going to change anybody's mind about Jim Sterling, his review, or the game he happened to review, mostly because very few people care, and partly because you have no recognizable internet identity, so nobody really cares what you have to say.

Kind of like how nobody cares what I have to say.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
...That seems strange to me. Extreme Legends is essentially an expansion pack (That every Dynasty Warriors since like...3 has gotten).

Why would he review the game and the expansion separately? (It was my assumption that when he said 'Dynasty Warriors 7 Extreme Legends, he was reviewing the whole game plus the expansion. Guess not, though.)
They're released separately, and XL is still a separate physical disc for the PS3. Ostensibly, it is likely a standalone title that can be "remixed" with 7, like prior titles.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
itsmeyouidiot said:
My problem with game reviews like this one are not because the reviewer has a different opinion, but because, in cases like these, they are pretty blatantly letting a personal bias/preference dictate how they judge the game's quality.
Er...there is no objective standard by which games can be judged. Any review will more or less be an opinion piece by definition.

Edit: That isn't to say that a game cannot be considered unanimously shit (Superman 64, Big Rigs, etc), but there will probably never be a game that is considered to be the greatest game ever made, unanimously.

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
mikey7339 said:

EDIT: This comment was uncalled for, my bad.

Why are we giving some out of shape stoner (judging form his eyes) any more credence than someone on these forums? Why is this guy's opinion important?
Someone's a redditor ^^

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
A game reviewer is supposed to look at a game and provide rationale behind its quality or lack thereof, not just say "I like it" or "It sucks."
Well, it's a good thing Jim didn't do that, then.

Liquid Paradox said:
So, I have a question for you. What purpose does this thread serve? Are you hoping to encounter like minded individuals so that you can complain about Jim Sterling together?
To be fair, a Nintendo game got a low score on the internet. there will be plenty of butthurt.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You guys know what really makes this funny? Jim just recently did a show titled "Hate out of 10" about fanboys who never played the games complaining about reviewers giving their games "low scores". And here we see it here in our own forums. I find that hilarious.

For the record, I couldn't care less about Mario Kart 89 or whatever we're talking about.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
If you read the whole review, what he's saying isn't much different than the other criticisms being pointed towards the game. He finally just gave the score deserved to a rehash.

The score is a tad hypocritical because he forgets that the game is actually fun, but the review itself makes valid points.

He's not wrong, it's his opinion

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Why do people call the rubber-band AI and blue shells in Mario Kart "flaws?"

Mario Kart is designed so that everyone has a chance to win, regardless of skill. Skill will get you to win much more often out of many races, but those elements are put in there to make sure that other players will win at least one race. Playing a game with someone 100 times more skilled than you is never any fun, and Nintendo knows that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
itsmeyouidiot said:
Why do people call the rubber-band AI and blue shells in Mario Kart "flaws?"

Mario Kart is designed so that everyone has a chance to win, regardless of skill. Skill will get you to win much more often out of many races, but those elements are put in there to make sure that other players will win at least one race. Playing a game with someone 100 times more skilled than you is never any fun, and Nintendo knows that.
Rubber Band AI is frustrating because no matter how well you do, it's invalidated. In something like Mario Kart, it's doubly damning because it does mean that luck is the biggest determining factor in the game. (AI getting a high tier powerup as you're a few feet away from the finish line, for instance.)

While I do understand why Nintendo decided to leave everything as it is, it doesn't make rubber band AI 'fun'. (I don't mention the Blue Shell because the point of Mario Kart is to be chaotic, isn't it? The BS helps with that.)

Edit: I'm talking about the single player, obviously. The multiplayer has an artificial rubber hand in that the power of the power ups you get are inversely proportional to how well you're doing, but like you said, that's a feature and not a flaw.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Oh no, an internet reviewer failed to validate my personal opinions!"

Get over it.