Why Keep Your Wallet In Your Back Pocket?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I just find it weird. Every other guy I know keeps their wallets in their back pockets. I don't understand this logic. It makes them easier to steal, since pickpockets hit your blind spots, and it is uncomfortable to sit on.

I've always kept my wallet in my front pocket so it is more comfortable to sit down on a bus or a chair, and I usually walk with my hands in my pockets, so I can hold it and know it is still there.

So yeah, weird quirk of mine I guess. Anyone else do the same? Any other social norms that you find crazy?

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
I never do it, and I dont think I know of anyone else who does it, actually...

maybe the people where you live have really sensitive behinds, so they can feel better when people are stealing their wallet?

fezzthemonk

Jun 27, 2009
I have to much stuff in my front pockets to use it. Also, its what i saw most others do. Humans are weird like that

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I keep my wallet in my front. The back is for wallet-shaped trash, because it makes it all the more hilarious when it gets lifted.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Nothing crazy about it, just a personal preference. When I was a wee teenager with very little in his wallet besides a bit of cash, a bank card and an ID, I had a small wallet and it was my back pocket all the time, it has always been this way and was no discomfort to me.

Enter adulthood, with many, many new plastic cards for all kinds of shenanigans and a constant need to keep more cash at hand, because as an adult, you only spend more. So my wallet increased in size and thus the need was born to put it in the inside pocket of my jacket. This is what I perceive of as the main proof of transition from a boy to a man. Forget a lower voice, chest hair and a lower ballsack, the position of the wallet is where it's at.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket as it allowed me to keep my keys and my phone in two different pockets without either of them sticking out. Also, the square back pocket of pants makes it really, really easy to remove it from them, rather from the slanted front pockets. As for sitting on it, well, you habitualise to it quickly.

Anyways, I usually keep my wallet inside my interior jacket pockets now with a FU wallet in the back.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I keep my wallet in the front as well, I always wondered why the back?

The only reason I could think of is it would be difficult to steal from the back. Most people I see with wallets in the back have smaller wallets that sort of slip into the back. For a thief to grab what they want, they would have to touch the guys bum, something that most guys will notice...

Granted though, the front is easier to get into but unless you're really good, you risk me seeing you stick your hand in my pants.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Because I have giant thighs, which makes me A. impossible to pickpocket, and B. look extremely bad if I have anything in my front pocket.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I keep mine in the front left pocket. I tried keeping it in the back, but I felt lopsided when I tried to sit down. Plus it balances out the phone and knife in my front right pocket.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I don't use my back pockets, they're purely for my girlfriend to put her hands in when they're cold...

My wallet goes into my front left pocket (Along with any change I receive over the day, I can't be bothered to put it into my wallet until I get home at the end of the day), my house key goes into my front right pocket, my ipod goes into my left jacket pocket (Which spends most of it's time tied around my waist) and my phone goes into my right jacket pocket.

I can't keep my wallet anywhere else since it's full of coppers to fit in other pockets, my key I'm used to having in my right pocket and feel strange to have it not there, my ipod has headphones going to it so I don't need to feel it and my phone is heavy enough to make me notice if it's still there (That and people don't think anyone would be reckless enough to put their phone in a place where it's always knocking into my legs and walls)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I also keep my wallet in my front pocket. It's easier to reach that way and I won't get pick pocketed. At least not without me noticing.
DeadlyYellow said:
I keep my wallet in my front. The back is for wallet-shaped trash, because it makes it all the more hilarious when it gets lifted.
LOL, I'd like to see that happen. XD

Jul 11, 2008
I don't do it personally because it's not fun to sit on when you have change in there.

I suppose the thinking behind keeping it there would be that money that smells of ass is less desireable to theives.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I keep mine in my handbag.
I don't understand how men live without them.
How else can you efficiently carry around all of your useless crap?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
There is really only one relevant for this thread:

About midway through, we see the horrors of having too large a wallet on one side of the ass.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
scorptatious said:
LOL, I'd like to see that happen. XD
It's happened twice while I was in China. Damn thieves made off with a discarded box of raisins and some crumpled up tissues.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I have my wallet in my back pocket for almost every situation, except for one.

Concerts. I'm really paranoid at concerts about it getting lifted, so it makes the jump from back pocket to front.

aidutcher

Dec 11, 2010
Dude, I thought I was the only one too. Front right pocket all the time. I never understood the back pocket thing either. Good to know I'm not alone on that.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I keep mine in a tight or zipped front pocket. Putting things in the bum pocket is just awkward. Otherwise, I put things in my book bag.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I just find it weird. Every other guy I know keeps their wallets in their back pockets. I don't understand this logic. It makes them easier to steal, since pickpockets hit your blind spots, and it is uncomfortable to sit on.
My wallet's too big to fit into my front pocket comfortably. I move it if I need to sit down, but while walking around, it's far more comfortable for it to be in my back pocket than my front. Not to mention, my front pockets already hold my keys/phone (left/right), so they're full anyway.

That said, as long as I'm wearing a jacket, the wallet goes into my interior pocket, the back pocket is only for warmer weather or when I'm indoors (usually in a bar/club). A hand on my arse is not something I'm likely to miss, so pickpocketing might be easier, but it doesn't mean whoever does it is gonna get away with it.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I knew someone who put their phone in their back pocket, and they always wondered how their screen kept magically cracking.