why not hate the police if your not a criminal??They do it all the time in my country!

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Insanum said:
I am studying to become a policeman, and let me put this one question to you:

Someone breaks into your house, beats the crap out of you and your family and then runs away. are you going to try and track him down using videos you saw on youtube or with moves you saw in a rambo film, or are you going to call the professionals?<color=white>here's where 200 people tell me the police couldnt find X person. its a damn shame they dont publish "mary was found safe and well" every day in the paper as much as they publish missing people stories.
People need to grow up and quite frankly get real. Everyone knows the typical "Power-mad Policeman" stereotype but quite frankly in the UK the police are so closely scrutinised nowadays that they have to justify their actions, and a majority of the time can do legally.

Put yourself in their shoes. One day you're dealing with an old lady who has had her bag snatched by some low life and the next you're trying to contain a bunch of rowdy students that are angry that they will have to limit their drinking, whilst trying to minimise the amount of vandalism they are causing (but do not get blamed for, because oh no, the police shouldve stopped the rioting[/I].
Judging by your intelligent comment I can reasonably assume that you are someone who hopefully ISN'T one of the stereotypical jackass police officers. However, my main problem with them is how many stereotypical ones there are. There's a Norman Rockwell painting of a policeman with a little boy running away from home in an Italian restaurant. What happened to those cops? You know, the ones that people could have a friendly conversation with, not worry about getting arrested for arguing a speeding ticket with charges like "disrupting the peace" or "resisting arrest" etc.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
dashiz94 said:
Judging by your intelligent comment I can reasonably assume that you are someone who hopefully ISN'T one of the stereotypical jackass police officers. However, my main problem with them is how many stereotypical ones there are. There's a Norman Rockwell painting of a policeman with a little boy running away from home in an Italian restaurant. What happened to those cops? You know, the ones that people could have a friendly conversation with, not worry about getting arrested for arguing a speeding ticket with charges like "disrupting the peace" or "resisting arrest" etc.
My personal favorite is "Insulting a public official"
Since they've got rid of that(not on purpose, it was left out by accident in the new law), I end every sentence in a conversation with a metro cop with a variation of "you bastard".

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
Police can hit a guy at an intersection while doing 85 with no sirens or lights on, have previous infractions about driving recklessly on record, and still have a judge deem the cop as not guilty.

The guy died. He was 85, so it was not a huge loss, but the principle remains.

Also: speed traps.
­
­
dashiz94 said:
Insanum said:
I am studying to become a policeman, and let me put this one question to you:

Someone breaks into your house, beats the crap out of you and your family and then runs away. are you going to try and track him down using videos you saw on youtube or with moves you saw in a rambo film, or are you going to call the professionals?<color=white>here's where 200 people tell me the police couldnt find X person. its a damn shame they dont publish "mary was found safe and well" every day in the paper as much as they publish missing people stories.
People need to grow up and quite frankly get real. Everyone knows the typical "Power-mad Policeman" stereotype but quite frankly in the UK the police are so closely scrutinised nowadays that they have to justify their actions, and a majority of the time can do legally.

Put yourself in their shoes. One day you're dealing with an old lady who has had her bag snatched by some low life and the next you're trying to contain a bunch of rowdy students that are angry that they will have to limit their drinking, whilst trying to minimise the amount of vandalism they are causing (but do not get blamed for, because oh no, the police shouldve stopped the rioting[/I].
I disagree; it was not an intelligent comment. Accepting it means his role is reduced to a necessary evil. Giving him a pass for that argument is also giving a pass for if the cops themselves come into your house, shoot and kill your barking dog, beat up your hysterical mom while you get cuffed, and in the end your restitution is an apology from the chief. Oh well, at least they are still there to be the professionals you call when something like that happens.

Basically, what he said didn't matter at all. If the police are actually kept in check, then the people have no reason to complain. But that isn't the case in most areas. There is no "grow up and get real" moment to consider, especially not when the source is just a guy defending his own coterie.

FoOd77

Jul 2, 2009
Eri said:
FoOd77 said:
When they keep their hand on their gun while you're talking to them. Even under friendly circumstances, they always look like they're a second away from quick-drawing that son of a ***** and shooting you, what the hell is up with that? I feel that's terribly inappropriate. That and in my experience, all the cops I've spoken to are arrogant jackasses on a power trip.
I can tell you right now it is for several reasons. One, so somebody doesn't come up from behind them and attempt to take it from them. The other is, people can snap in an instant, they have to be ready/prepared. Sure most people probably aren't going to snap in an instant, but it only takes one person for you to lose your life. Another reason might be just for plain comfort sake, holding onto the gun is a somewhat comfortable place to hold onto, similar as to one who would hold their hip.
No doubt, but holding onto his gun when he's talking to a seven year old kid is a little extreme, isn't it? Was my young self going to snap in an instant, and overpower that 30-something year old police officer? Unlikely.

The reason I and most people I know of dislike cops is because here in Illinois, most of the police are corrupt as hell. Most of them don't care about upholding the law, or helping people, all they care about is writing tickets, and brutalizing people who question them.

Again, I have no doubt that there are good cops out there, but in my personal experience, I've never met one.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
binvjoh said:
I personally have no problem with the police in my country (Sweden).

I've never bothered them and they've never bothered me.
This... and I live out on the countryside so I never encounter the Police Last time I saw an officer was a couple of weeks ago! We can do whatever we want here basically!!

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
I am 2 cool 4 anime said:
Lets get this strait,EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO LISTENS TO RAP IN MY COUNTRY HATES THE POLICE!!!Sorry for caps,won't happen again!I don't understand why do they hate the police so much here,they will kill for their favorite team (witch is ether partizan or red star) even though the two teams didn't do any thing for them,AND THEY BOTH SUCK!Sorry,:p.All I am saying is that the police is doing a lot more for us then some people running around on grass kicking balls into boxes....
In your country we hate cops because most of them are corrupt lazy asses how work with criminals and only area where they excel is in taking bribes in traffic regulation and picking on you for no reason at all. Also because they are repressing people for the intrests of corrupt government and generally being assholes all the time. I do not listen to rap just to be clear.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I really dislike (not sure if it's strong enough to call it 'hate') the police because they refuse to solve crimes, the only time you see a cop here is if they can write out a fine. The vast majority of crimes like robberies and sexual assaults are perpetrated by a single group, the police and everyone else knows who they are and they often have them all on file by name, but they are too busy writing out tickets for "serious crimes" like riding a bicycle without lights (on a well lit street) or placing out the garbage cans 30 minutes earlier than permitted rather than patrol the street and arrest known criminals.
Everyone I know who joined the police is a fascist. People who join the police are either wannabe moral guardians, who get filtered out through selection soon enough and might get a desk job at best, and the rest are power-mad bullies who love the chance to play the boss over others and threaten them with the law on their side. It's always the citizen's word agains the cop's, and guess who the judges will always believe?

And yes I'll admit my view on them is tainted by past experiences. I have been the victim of assault and robbery in the past, and the police refused to do anything even though I knew exactly who did it. I was told I could come back in three weeks but that I might as well not bother since they wouldn't do a thing anyway. A friend of mine who was sexually assaulted got the same answer, even when her attackers were threatening her afterwards.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think anyone, well most, hate the police for upholding the laws and catching real criminals. It's not the idea of the police force but more like individuals working within who can get high on "power" they have. They can stop you on the street, be a jerk, find little trivial ofenses and which other cops would let you off with just because he feels like it etc and there's nothing you can do about it. Plus the corruption, of course. But talking of Serbia you have to keep in mind we lived in what was basically a police state for so long, so older people here get a head start in being sick of policemen compared to your average citizen elsewhere.

Plus, ne mozes da drzis hardkor navijace kao naj reprezentativniji deo populacije. Naravno da mrze policiju zato sto konstantno krse zakon kad se skupe kao rulja, pa je onda na policiji da ih dovede u red.

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
I hate one thing about police: they are not held up to a higher standard. If a police officer commits crime, he should face way harsher penalties, but currently too often they get off with a slap on a wrist.

Being a saint should be requirement for pursuing career in any law enforcement position.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
LiudvikasT said:
Being a saint should be requirement for pursuing career in any law enforcement position.
Haha, how hopelessly naive.

That said, the Police are people too, so I run under the principle that if you make their lives harder, they'll make your life harder too.

Be polite and you're more likely to get off with a warning rather than a ticket.

Also, Police are the enforcers of the law, not the creators of the law, I wish people would stop arguing WITH the Police about some of the shit laws governments come up with (Uk is especially guilty of micromanaging and bullshit laws, its a wonder anyone wants to be a policeman nowadays).

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Because if you live in a small town where crime is low, having a police station is like having a mafia. Get a bunch of bored cops patrolling a town and they start stopping people at random, giving tickets out for J-walking, etc. Basically, just being big untouchable asses. ...and we're paying them for this. It's like a protection racket.

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
FarleShadow said:
LiudvikasT said:
Haha, how hopelessly naive.

That said, the Police are people too, so I run under the principle that if you make their lives harder, they'll make your life harder too.

Be polite and you're more likely to get off with a warning rather than a ticket.

Also, Police are the enforcers of the law, not the creators of the law, I wish people would stop arguing WITH the Police about some of the shit laws governments come up with (Uk is especially guilty of micromanaging and bullshit laws, its a wonder anyone wants to be a policeman nowadays).
Expecting accountability and professionalism out of people who could ruin innocent mans life, is naive?

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
LiudvikasT said:
Expecting accountability and professionalism out of people who could ruin innocent mans life, is naive?
Profressionalism and accountability? This is not naive (And not mentioned in your post)

Making 'being a saint' a requirement for a career in law is.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
I don't hate the police in general, the MET on the other hand.

Responsible for:

The death of Ian Tomlinson, a man who was walking near a protest when he was struck from behind by a riot officer. The riot officer in question got off scot-free in the court case (I think it's being contested though).

The kettling of student protestors.

Throwing a man with cerebral palsy to the ground. There's also an interview with the man on bbc news where the interviewer suggests a man who cannot walk unaided was approaching the police in a threatening manner.

The pre-emptive arrests of hundreds in advance of several events.

The unlawful killing of the innocent Jean Charles de Menezes.

Institutional racism.

All those within recent memory.

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
FarleShadow said:
LiudvikasT said:
Profressionalism and accountability? This is not naive (And not mentioned in your post)

Making 'being a saint' a requirement for a career in law is.
What I mean is that police officer should be on average better than an average civilian. Everyone in power should be. And to ensure that, everyone in power should face harsher penalties for their crimes.