Why oh why haven't game-creators done this yet?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There are some ideas that are so obvious that you can't help but wonder why they don't appear in games. I'm talking things that could easily be done with today's technology but haven't been because, well, because God hates us I guess.

For instance: A game where you play as a pokémon. Preferably in 3D. You know, like Super Mario, or Zelda. My point is that you'd play as, say, a Pikachu, and you'd be able to go around and thundershock and jump all you like. Like in Super Smash Bros. except that you wouldn't be confined to a small stage. Think Super Mario 64 with Pokémon. And obviously there's be more than just one pokémon available to play.

It can't be denied: Pokémon has been around for over a decade, and everyone's been wanting a game like this for a long, long time.

So what game feature, or just what game, are you surprised that they haven't made yet?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I am still baffled why sport games don't let you switch your jersey/uniform color in the middle of the match...

This would especially be useful in a game like FIFA, where the Season system matches you up against an opponent but you don't see your opponent or their club until AFTER the game begins. The game does very well with not fudging it up but sometimes when you get the white shirt with black stripes against the black shirt with white stripes, it would be incredibly handy if I could change the colors of my kit so I can tell who the hell is on my team.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Cutscenes should be skippable, pauseable and rewindable. Just like movies. I always seem to get interruptted when in the middle of a cutscene and have to miss half of it.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
I'm still waiting for my sci-fi sandbox game :(

We have had ones in nearly every time period now. Red faction was half way there but I want my flying cars damn it!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Queen Michael said:
For instance: A game where you play as a pokémon. Preferably in 3D. You know, like Super Mario, or Zelda. My point is that you'd play as, say, a Pikachu, and you'd be able to go around and thundershock and jump all you like. Like in Super Smash Bros. except that you wouldn't be confined to a small stage. Think Super Mario 64 with Pokémon. And obviously there's be more than just one pokémon available to play.

It can't be denied: Pokémon has been around for over a decade, and everyone's been wanting a game like this for a long, long time.
That does exist. Look up the Pokepark games for the Wii. That's literally what you just described. It's a big Pokemon sandbox game filled with other Pokemon complete with battles, chase games, obstacle courses. In the sequel you even get to play as the Unova starters too.

They're actually a lot of fun. Some of my favorite Wii games.

Here's some screenshots (they're in Japanese, but both games are available in English)

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
I am still baffled why sport games don't let you switch your jersey/uniform color in the middle of the match...

This would especially be useful in a game like FIFA, where the Season system matches you up against an opponent but you don't see your opponent or their club until AFTER the game begins. The game does very well with not fudging it up but sometimes when you get the white shirt with black stripes against the black shirt with white stripes, it would be incredibly handy if I could change the colors of my kit so I can tell who the hell is on my team.
I cannot even begin to tell you how many times i have been matched up with someone and my colors are too similar to theirs, such as mine is dark blue and theirs is black.

OT I would like a WRPG like Skyrim, but instead of Nordic or European Mythology it would be based off of Eastern Asian Mythology

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
bak00777 said:
tippy2k2 said:

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times i have been matched up with someone and my colors are too similar to theirs, such as mine is dark blue and theirs is black.

OT I would like a WRPG like Skyrim, but instead of Nordic or European Mythology it would be based off of Eastern Asian Mythology
I agree. I'd love to see something like that. There was an iOS hack 'n slasher (The Gods: Rebellion I believe it was called) that was basically like God of War, but using a Chinese mythos rather than a Greek one. I was really interested in that concept, it's just a shame the game was quite lacking.

But there is certainly something there.

TheRaider

Jul 4, 2010
A really fresh take on chess. It is such a popular turn based game there must be some ways to improve it while keeping to a turn based system.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheRaider said:
A really fresh take on chess. It is such a popular turn based game there must be some ways to improve it while keeping to a turn based system.
http://www.chessvariants.org/

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/313/e/3/circle_chess_by_solidium-d32g3mn.png

OT: To this day, I cannot find a game where you play a ghost haunting a house.

I had actually started experimenting with a game that would let you do that, but then Neil Gaiman decided he'd make one. So now it's a race between me and him to claim the "I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST" crown (he'll win, I think).

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
TheRaider said:
Shogi is a lot like chess, but with different move sets and the ability to place pieces that you previously took from your opponent back on the board in strategic positions (they act under your control of course) in lieu of moving a piece that turn. It adds another layer of complexity to an already intense game, and the different movement helps freshen the game up.

OT:
I would really like to play a game that takes a really schizophrenic approach to setting. Like I want to be traversing a Skyrim-esq wilderness and visiting my homie jarlin up a place like Whiterun and then walk for ten minutes into a Deus Ex like cyberpunk city, and head on over to a place out of Arcanum steampunking it all over the place. Sandbox environments that mix elements from all three giving us cyborg minotars and the like to fight against, and quests and classes/characters/species from each.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
lacktheknack said:
TheRaider said:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/313/e/3/circle_chess_by_solidium-d32g3mn.png

I had actually started experimenting with a game that would let you do that, but then Neil Gaiman decided he'd make one. So now it's a race between me and him to claim the "I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST" crown (he'll win, I think).
There's a few smaller flash like titles like that. (pick through the thread for that story someone mentioned one that was kinda fun to play)

but the closest to a full release title of sorts was probably ghost master. Where you sorta play the ghosts omnipresent boss tactically while the ghosts go about doing the actual house haunting work. still one of my weird favorite games next to Evil Genius.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A post-apocalyptic (nuclear, zombie, or otherwise) strategy game that puts you in charge of a colony of survivors. I've seen some Flash, web-based offerings, but nothing A-list quality and commercial.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
edgecult said:
but the closest to a full release title of sorts was probably ghost master. Where you sorta play the ghosts omnipresent boss tactically while the ghosts go about doing the actual house haunting work. still one of my weird favorite games next to Evil Genius.
Not quite what I'm looking for (I want to use the environment to creatively scare people), but that looks great! I have to check it out.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
daveman247 said:
I'm still waiting for my sci-fi sandbox game :(

We have had ones in nearly every time period now. Red faction was half way there but I want my flying cars damn it!
Doesn't EVE Online count?, there's also games like Darkstar One.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
TheRaider said:

"The Haunting: Starring Poulterguy" for the Sega Genesis.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
drummond13 said:
lacktheknack said:
TheRaider said:

"The Haunting: Starring Poulterguy" for the Sega Genesis.
BOOM.

Now, if only I had a Sega Genesis.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'd like to be able to enter buildings in a sandbox game. Most of the time there are few to no buildings that you can enter. If you can, they are part of the story. But I'd like to enter more than just a few. I know it would be hard to build, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

lacktheknack said:

Well, here's an old episode of Continue where they play such a game.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Queen Michael said:
There are some ideas that are so obvious that you can't help but wonder why they don't appear in games. I'm talking things that could easily be done with today's technology but haven't been because, well, because God hates us I guess.

So what game feature, or just what game, are you surprised that they haven't made yet?
Pretty much this.^ In fact, one of the first threads I made was about this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.285082-Pokemon-needs-to-stop-being-afraid-of-innovation#11235472

Really though, what's really needed Pokémon is something new. Pokémon is a lot like Call of Duty, by that meaning it's basically the same game done over and over again with maybe a few small barely noticeable changes and/or additions. The story has been the same ol beat the gyms beat some bad guys and beat the pokemon league since the francise's start, while the combat system has been the same ol turn based each and every game, and few have deviated from this. They also just make more and more pokemon every installment without concern for their actual usability.