Why PC gamers should love (or at least not hate) consoles

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I think this entire post is a strawman argument. I can't recall the last time a person said "All consoles suck, PCs rule". You're basically trolling to bring the argument back up, but I'll bite just because I'm bored.

I think PCs are better than consoles, but only because they allow for better modding, more customization in graphics/sound/etc, better controls (for pretty much everything except platforming), and a more versatile platform overall.

Console games cost more and consoles themselves are designed to be extremely limited forms of PCs that require more peripherals to function (PCs have many more peripherals but they're not as necessary) and can't effectively run my favorite genres of strategy and First person shooters*.

They have worse online support, but are unfortunately the more profitable and more numerous than PC games, so often times PCs get secondhand games that aren't optimized for PC performance, turning a great game into a mediocre one.

*Try playing with a mouse and keyboard then just TRY to go back to dual stick shooting, it's impossible because the former is just that much more intuitive.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
when we all use hot tubs with A.I computational water capable of storing 22.7 squadrillabytes per virtual litre for all of our gaming and appliance needs I will be the first to say that you looked silly for being a P.C elitist at the time :p.

the gaming forums of the future "baths salts vs bubbles" in our hot tubs.

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
Giantpanda602 said:
consoles are becoming PC's. Slowly, we are seeing the push for more features on the consoles that only the PC previously had.
This is not a good thing. consoles are taking features that the pc has had for years such as multiplayer, and charging people a subscription fee to use them.
Console kiddies may not know any different then to pay a sub for the privilidge of playing online, but pc gamers do.
And the online pc community were less then amused when games for windows live tried to force the same subscription fees on pc gamers.

A subscription fee, for something pc gamers have been doing for free since around 1990.

in my opinion, consoles, specifically microsofts x-box, will destroy gaming in the not too distant future if things continue as they are.

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
IMO, this whole 'waaaaah i haet consol just cus i pley pc xbix liev is ruinging gameing' which seems to be going on is just stupid. Just play whatever the hell you want, be that PC, Xbox or Playstation. Or at least don't go hating something just because you play something else. That's like hating people who drink beer just because you like wine better.

To me, there's no such thing as 'PC gamers' or 'console gamers' you're either a gamer or you're just whiny. I'm sorry, but that's just my $0,02.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Inkidu said:
We must interbreed them!

The ease and idiot-proofing of consoles, the power and performance of a PC. All plugged into a controller with rumble!

Though if I had to give the edge to one, I'd give it to consoles. Keyboards and mice are lame when rumble gets into it. Who would have ever thought that rumble would be such a hit?
If they ever make a supreme "gaming console" I hope they don't use a controller. Those things are horrible and imprecise. Keyboard and mouse ftw! :)

MortarTeam

Aug 28, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Giantpanda602 said:
The other day, I was debating PC vs. consoles with my friend. Being the neutral bastard that I am, I agreed that PC games were generally of better quality than their console counterpart. Still, I had to defend the consoles. I've been a console gamer my entire life (besides WoW for around 4 years). Looking back, I see a pattern in consoles that should make PC gamers happy. Its mainly this, consoles are becoming PC's. Slowly, we are seeing the push for more features on the consoles that only the PC previously had. If, all of a sudden, consoles stopped being made, then you would see a huge drop in the amount of gamers around the world. As consoles get more and more amazing tech, more people learn how to deal with everything the PC has to offer while it still is in a controlled setting.

Basically, the consoles are evolving into PC's. I predict that after the next console cycle, which will might end around 2018, everybody who can afford a good PC will have one. Everybody will know how to use it to its full potential, everybody will be happy.
Dude! They ARE PCs. But with outrageous amounts of DRM. There is a simple sign: If anyone installed Linux on it - it is a PC. The thing is PCs are cheap. It is right there in their architecture, any part, no matter who made it, is compatible with your machine (ideally, of course). That was the principle that IBM enforced. Consoles are PCs made to leech more money for the Corporation. As are Macs.

Geno DCLXVI

Mar 14, 2011
A lightweight, portable machine with a nice HD screen and support for multiple peripherals (keyboard, mouse and controllers included) would be everyone's dream system I guess.

Or am I just talking about Alienware laptops? Are those lightweight?

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Personally, my own preference sways to consoles whenever possible due to being able to use a controller or game pad of some sort. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable, even if it can admittedly hinder slightly the experience of a game like Dragon Age.

Nothing like relaxing with a controller in your hand after a 10 hour shift in the hangar, as opposed to being slumped over a keyboard.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Lance Arrow said:
IMO, this whole 'waaaaah i haet consol just cus i pley pc xbix liev is ruinging gameing' which seems to be going on is just stupid. Just play whatever the hell you want, be that PC, Xbox or Playstation. Or at least don't go hating something just because you play something else. That's like hating people who drink beer just because you like wine better.

To me, there's no such thing as 'PC gamers' or 'console gamers' you're either a gamer or you're just whiny. I'm sorry, but that's just my $0,02.
Excellently put, sir. Fully agreed.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Cridhe said:
Personally, my own preference sways to consoles whenever possible due to being able to use a controller or game pad of some sort. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable, even if it can admittedly hinder slightly the experience of a game like Dragon Age.

Nothing like relaxing with a controller in your hand after a 10 hour shift in the hangar, as opposed to being slumped over a keyboard.
a) Buy a controller for the PC? Plug in the 360 one? In the past year I've almost played more PC games with my gamepad(s), than SNES games during my childhood. o_O

b) If you have to slump, you're doing something wrong. The chair at my desk is more comfy than my couches.

Don't get me wrong, you personally can have whatever preference you like, what do I care, but those two "arguments" pop up far too often and they're kinda dumb. USB slots aren't arcane magic and shoddy interior design is not a built-in feature of PCs. You'd think people would make their homes comfortable. What, are people playing at work in their inhumane cubicles?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
people need to stop flaming other platforms, its ok to have a preference.

for example i cant use a keyboard/ mouse for shit, always been rubbish with them in games, which is why i like controller support.

but i also like the complexity with PC settings.

so i use Xbox and PC as much as the other (PS3 is too similar to the Xbox for me to justify buying it).

shrekfan246 said:
I really don't understand how The Witcher 2 being released for the Xbox 360 AFTER it has already been released for the PC will suddenly cause the quality of the PC version to plummet.
every developer should do this... 'what will our game work best on? (platform A), ok make it, release it.'

'now can it be ported to (platform B), yes, ok lets port it.'

i agree with the rest of your post too, this is just a very good point.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
CleverNickname said:
Cridhe said:

a) Buy a controller for the PC? Plug in the 360 one? In the past year I've almost played more PC games with my gamepad(s), than SNES games during my childhood. o_O

b) If you have to slump, you're doing something wrong. The chair at my desk is more comfy than my couches.

Don't get me wrong, you personally can have whatever preference you like, what do I care, but those two "arguments" pop up far too often and they're kinda dumb. USB slots aren't arcane magic and shoddy interior design is not a built-in feature of PCs. You'd think people would make their homes comfortable. What, are people playing at work in their inhumane cubicles?
a) Not every game is compatible with game pads. (Dragon Age comes to mind)

b) We're not all always fortunate enough to have super-deluxe computer desks and chairs.

Don't get me wrong, but I think you're being a little cocky and narrow minded if you're just going to judge the way I, and many others feel, to be "dumb".

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
You forgot about the cheap bastard who wants to play AAA games but doesnt want to spend very much money.
But you can build a games worthy pc for not much more then the price of an xbox. and then save yourself some money on microsofts silly live subscription.

Cridhe said:
b) We're not all always fortunate enough to have super-deluxe computer desks and chairs.
My chair cost about £15 second hand and my desk was a hand me down. Chair is way more comfortable for gaming sessions then my sofa and surely all a desk has to do is have stuff on it and not collapse?

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Giantpanda602 said:
Basically, the consoles are evolving into PC's. I predict that after the next console cycle, which will might end around 2018, everybody who can afford a good PC will have one. Everybody will know how to use it to its full potential, everybody will be happy.
PCs that are utterly controlled by Microsoft and Sony.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
Gill Kaiser said:
PCs that are utterly controlled by Microsoft and Sony.
Since the price of consoles are rising, people are beginning to compare the features given to them versus the features on the PC. Previously, this wasn't that big of a deal because consoles were cheaper and they were made specifically to play games. Now that they do more, and have the capability to do even more than that, console gamers are beginning to think, "Why shouldn't I just get a PC? It may cost more, but it has more features and does more things."

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Well, consoles are weak PC's with very high limitations.

I don't hate consoles, but to the age of 23, I've yet failed to see any good reason to get one.

Chrono180

Dec 8, 2007
I no longer buy PC games.

Playing a console game typically goes like this:
1. Insert disk into CD drive
2. Download patches
3. Play

Whereas the typical method for playing a PC game goes like this (this has happened with pretty much EVERY PC game I bought at launch for the past five years)
1.Insert disk into computer
2.Try to install game
3. Find out after two hours that the game has mysteriously stopped installing and is giving me a error message that is of no help whatsoever.
4. Browse forums, finding many people who have same problem.
5. Try several dozen methods people suggest to fix the game, until one finally works.
6. Finish installing game
7. Start playing game. Find out game crashes every five or ten minutes.
8. Go back to forums, try other methods.
9. Call tech support hotline, spend three hours on the phone to talk with a support tech with a nearly impenetrable accent
10. Find out I spent an entire day trying to make the game work. Get fed up and buy the console version instead.