WHY RHIANNA WHY!?!?!?

Leather_Raven

Jun 28, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Hello Rihanna, I'm a fan of your work, and especially your fathers work.

A few questions for you, Is there anything at all you would change at all about your work, do you strive to be a perfectionist when it comes to writing. Is there any story ideas that you have scrapped during development of a game because of your own ideas of how the story should be, if so I would sincerely love to hear about them.

I know, you are a very busy woman, but I hope you can take some time to answer.
I always try to do the best work I can under the circumstances and limitations mentioned. However, I think every developer probably sees things in a game they wish had turned out differently. It's one of the reasons I have difficulty playing games I've worked on. My role tends to be making the stories I'm given work, rather than initially conceiving them (which I do more in my other writings.) As I've mentioned in interviews I think the narrative team would've liked a slower build up from one kill to lots of kills in Tomb Raider. There was also a completely different ending originally written for the game, which Noah talks about in #19 of the Crystal Habit podcast.

Seneschal said:
Do writers get to dictate what kind of presentation their writing will have? Will it be cutscene-heavy, voice-over narration, how often and how long the narrative sections will be, etc.? How will the gameplay complement or inform the plot?
As Caliostro says it tends to vary, largely based on 1) The type of game 2) When you're brought in (which will have an impact on time and budget) 3) How seriously the team takes narrative.

Cut-scenes and cinematics are easier to slot in than imbedded narrative. If you want a truly immersive story, with interactive scenes, environmental storytelling, the whole shebang, then you actually have to plan it in a lot earlier. You need to design the game from the ground up to support it. If the game hasn't been designed to support that kind of storytelling then it makes it incredibly hard to do in any kind of really meaningful way. Hence the popularity of cut-scenes and cinematics.

Fireaxe said:
Interesting footnote: Rhianna is Terry Pratchett's daughter. I would have to suggest the talent didn't pass on by genetics though because that list is quite poor.
Interesting footnote? You've really not read this thread properly, have you?

This kind of stuff is why you don't see more developers going into forums to chat and why I seldom do it. My father and I work in VASTLY different fields. Dad has complete control over his work. I, as a freelancer, and as part of a team, and for all the reasons I outlined on the previous page, do not.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Leather_Raven said:
Hey Rhi, Fan of your work and it's nice to see you willing to come talk to us, I know it is somewhat of a brave thing considering the Internets usual reaction to such events being that of hyperbolic rage and threats.

have a couple of questions mind. First, Do you see any Writer driven games in the near future in the world of Triple A games, as in from the ground up conception rather than the "please make this plot work" stuff guys like yourself and Richard Morgan have been stuck with?

And second, if not, would you ever consider working with a smaller Indy dev team to make something that you can control the story 100% rather than having to play nice with the money men/Women that the AAA games would likely lead too? I ask because as of late, or at least for the last few years with exception of guys like Naughty Dog, most of the best or at least more story driven games seem to be coming from the smaller Indies rather than the EA's. Do you think its time for writers to try their hand at games like Gone Home or even the Stanley Parable too name two probably not so great examples.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
There's a mixture of good and not so good there, but to be fair that's to be expected given the unique circumstances that surround video games.

But even if all but one were awful, it still wouldn't matter because I can't hate anyone that was involved in Mirror's Edge. The story of the first game wasn't perfect (mitigating circumstances and all that), but I always felt that there was the potential for something really interesting to come from it, which is why I'm saddened that DICE didn't seem to want to work with her for the sequel/prequel/reboot/whatever, and get her involved from day one basically. Weave the gameplay and narrative together, not just slap a story on as an excuse.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Leather_Raven said:
As some of you are aware (and it's great to read that the weird and occasionally messy world of a games writer is gaining a bit more understanding) I don't originate these stories. It's not a case of me rocking up to a developer and going 'Hey I have this GREAT idea!' It's more a case of a developer coming to me and saying 'Hey! We have this great idea/game design/set of levels/characters etc. But we need some story please.' This makes it quite a different ballgame from most other entertainment mediums.
First of all thanks for taking the time to give us this little insight into the business. Rare opportunity for us "peasants" and all.

At any rate, I have a question if you have the time and patience: Have you ever tried or wanted to try switching the entire process around? Like, starting with a story you wanted to tell, designed for the interactive medium of games, and taking it up to a studio to tailor a game around it? Sort of like you can sometimes do with movie scripts. As a writer I imagine you have stories you'd like to tell and, given the somewhat recent rise of indie developers and stuff like Kickstarter/crowd funding, it would seem that now more than ever before you'd have the chance to revert the traditional process.

This question, as well as the thanks for joining us, is also valid to Robert Edwards/Robrecht751 (if you're still watching this thread and would like to answer).

(Sorry if the question sounds stupid. Curiosity.)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Cousken said:
The Madman said:
Alls I know for sure is that she desperately needs to convince her father to get into games again. Back in ye olden days there were a sparse few Diskworld games, but that was ages ago. AGES! We need an open world Discworld rpg asap. I'm thinking get Double Fine to do it ala Brutal Legend.

This needs to happen.
Perhaps you would consider playing the Discworld Multi User Dungeon http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/ to pulling one of the greates authors of our time from writing novels? Pretty please :)
Believe it or not I actually used to play that game ages and ages ago. At least I did if that's the one I'm thinking of. I haven't played a MUD in years, but for awhile there I was really into them and Discworld was one of the ones I got most into.

Not sure if I'd jump back in right now, but it's pretty neat to know it's still around.

Leather_Raven said:
The Madman said:
Here is where I got that from, is it incorrect?
Yes it is. Of the 10 books, only Raising Steam is new, the rest are older material like the short story collections (Blink of the Screen and Slip of the Keyboard) Folklore of Discworld etc. It is a very misleading story though.
My thanks for clearing that up then.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Leather_Raven said:
As Caliostro says it tends to vary, largely based on 1) The type of game 2) When you're brought in (which will have an impact on time and budget) 3) How seriously the team takes narrative.

Cut-scenes and cinematics are easier to slot in than imbedded narrative. If you want a truly immersive story, with interactive scenes, environmental storytelling, the whole shebang, then you actually have to plan it in a lot earlier. You need to design the game from the ground up to support it. If the game hasn't been designed to support that kind of storytelling then it makes it incredibly hard to do in any kind of really meaningful way. Hence the popularity of cut-scenes and cinematics.
Thanks for the reply!
"The whole shebang" makes all the difference (at least to me). I hope that approach becomes more common.

I loved cut-scenes and FMVs back in the Playstation days, and they were a great way for the dev to flaunt. But lately, especially when poorly managed, they feel like "palletized" storytelling, used for no other reason than because it's easier to schedule, divide into milestones, and hire writers on a mercenary basis. Thief probably isn't the best franchise for that kind of approach, and I feel the newest game's narrative suffered because of that, but I don't think anyone can lay it on you. (Also, because the game's wiki page doesn't even mention you - seriously, what's up with that?)

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
Seneschal said:
Leather_Raven said:

Thanks for the reply!
"The whole shebang" makes all the difference (at least to me). I hope that approach becomes more common.

I loved cut-scenes and FMVs back in the Playstation days, and they were a great way for the dev to flaunt. But lately, especially when poorly managed, they feel like "palletized" storytelling, used for no other reason than because it's easier to schedule, divide into milestones, and hire writers on a mercenary basis. Thief probably isn't the best franchise for that kind of approach, and I feel the newest game's narrative suffered because of that, but I don't think anyone can lay it on you. (Also, because the game's wiki page doesn't even mention you - seriously, what's up with that?)
Hmm maybe it could be a pre-production thing. I heard extra credits one time suggest that there's an empty period, where programmers aren't programming, and staff are trying to pin down the initial mechanics and concept of a title or sequel.

Anyways they suggested, maybe if there was a way to model the pre-production stage of game development after animation studios like Pixar, and rotate select group of studio staff onto upcoming projects, and get writers in earlier, all the important parties could get a sense of what kind of beast the game is going to be, and build out the title with a full consensus on whats going in, and that could immediately create a fresh workload for the rest of the programmers and artists finishing the previous game. Could possibly save a bit of money in some AAA scenarios.