Why Skyrim Should Have Been Delayed: An Argument in Pictures

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
distortedreality said:
Taunta said:
Do you have anything useful to contribute other than being condescending to other people about their choice in computers? I thought not.
I asked for specs so we could help (in my lovable condescending way).

Not my problem if OP doesn't want the help.
See, that's where I (and maybe the OP) misunderstood you, because I didn't get the "I want to help" vibe, I got more of a "Your computer is bad and you should feel bad" vibe.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Eccentric Lich said:
distortedreality said:
Taunta said:
Do you have anything useful to contribute other than being condescending to other people about their choice in computers? I thought not.

Actually, you never once asked for specs. You only complained about how terrible my laptop was.
Actually, I did.

distortedreality said:
Do you even know what hardware you're running, other than "omg it's alienware"?

Might help us fix the problem, unless of course you want to keep blaming others for your problem.
Taunta said:
See, that's where I (and maybe the OP) misunderstood you, because I didn't get the "I want to help" vibe, I got more of a "Your computer is bad and you should feel bad" vibe.
Fair enough.

But to be fair, I didn't get the "I want help to fix my problem" vibe from the OP, all I got was a "Game is broken, not my fault" vibe.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I've been playing a heavily (graphically) modded Skyrim on my PC at max graphics with every official patch and the 4GB Skyrim thing as well as advanced shaders.

And I've run into ZERO graphical bugs. Mistakes, yes- the occasional floating rock. You seem to be the only unlucky guy to see these, or at least in a minority...

EDIT: For the record, your captions are hilarious. Skooma is a hell of a drug...

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Bravo sir, your annotations in an attempt to roleplay seriously made me laugh. Having said that I agree with the majority here in that you're probably an isolated case. My experience hasn't been all that bad except for the occasional spot of having blank space where water should clearly be.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Taunta said:
Kind of an off-topic question: Why is it that Skyrim has so many bugs? I play WoW quite frequently, also a huge open-world RPG, but these kinds of graphical glitches never happen to me. (I've never seen flying NPCs, quest givers melting into the ground, dragons exploring space,etc) The worst seems to be "oh this mob is evade-bugged", which gets fixed relatively quickly. Is it just a difference in the beta, the developer, or what?
WoW is a very static world, all it's objects are solid textures "glued" to the world.
In Skyrim you can literally blow every item off of this dinner table.

WoW has no physics engine, no free moving objects or anything of the sorts.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
I've only had one of these glitches, it was the blueish texture issue. I had it for a few moments and then it was gone. Sorry to hear you have such a problem mate. Looks like you need to update some stuff, drivers or hardware or something.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Ranorak said:
Taunta said:
Kind of an off-topic question: Why is it that Skyrim has so many bugs? I play WoW quite frequently, also a huge open-world RPG, but these kinds of graphical glitches never happen to me. (I've never seen flying NPCs, quest givers melting into the ground, dragons exploring space,etc) The worst seems to be "oh this mob is evade-bugged", which gets fixed relatively quickly. Is it just a difference in the beta, the developer, or what?
WoW is a very static world, all it's objects are solid textures "glued" to the world.
In Skyrim you can literally blow every item off of this dinner table.

WoW has no physics engine, no free moving objects or anything of the sorts.
Fair enough, but then what about NPCs getting to places they don't belong? NPCs in WoW can be kited all over, killed, messed with, etc, and a lot of them do run or patrol on their own, but they hardly get stuck in the ground, get spliced with horses, or decide to fly.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Eccentric Lich said:
[...]

It appears that some sort of daedric craft has descended from the sky and is attacking Windhelm!
[...]
Please ask Bethesda (or even better: The Modding community) to make some Addon/DLC featuring this. I would pay for playing that... REALLY!!!

Other than that:

I have experienced occasionally gayish dragons like you, mostly after 4h of play - but with the 4GB Mod. and thus using more Ram it worked much better, have you tried that?

Oh and don't mind the Skyrim-fanboys and the Console Players upset about the PC-Gaming Master Race they are, you know, fanboys and Console-*****.
Your article was actually pretty fun and I totally would be upset like you if the things would look like that.

Alas, most of the solutions have already been named:
1) 4GB Mod.
2) Bethesda Forum
3) Maybe switching to lower quality (to check if it's running longer without problems)
4) ...
5) Profit?!??

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
If you're using Windows 7, and you installed it to Program Files(x86), that might be your problem. I'd re-install it to a different location (like My Games or something). Installing to the x86 folder can be troublesome.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Eccentric Lich said:
Ranorak said:
Obviously I know nothing of the machine you run this on.
But did the idea occur to you that your machine might have something to do with these graphical glitches?
It did not. My machine is a brand new Alienware (two months old) and runs other games without incident. I play Skyrim with no lag too.
I don't see how these rare bugs mean the game should've been delayed, especially considering that the game doesn't have these issues for the vast majority of people. Say New Vegas that makes sense, the save bug was outright game breaking , but even FO3 has these issues and it's what 4 years old? Are these happening all the time would be a better question.

Besides I'm sure it's a great business tactic to cash in on the hype before it dies down then release patches for the bugs, like New Vegas.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I play skyrim on ultra settings with no graphical glitches at all. Must be your machine. Check in to updating your gpu drivers. Also, I've never had luck with prebuilt machines. Next time you find yourself in the market for a computer, make some notes, gather some parts, and build it yourself. You'll save a ton of money and you'll be sure of the quality.

Taunta said:
You're comparing WoW to Skyrim? That shows a complete lack of understanding of gaming fundamentals.

WoW is basically a series of static models with colored textures glued overtop of them. Nothing is interactable or moveable.

Skyrim, on the other hand...everything is dynamic and changing and moveable. The memory leak that I've mentioned on here is caused by the fact that every single aspect of the game world is saved as I influence it.

Is that too condescending for you? If so, I'm sorry. =)

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Taunta said:
Fair enough, but then what about NPCs getting to places they don't belong? NPCs in WoW can be kited all over, killed, messed with, etc, and a lot of them do run or patrol on their own, but they hardly get stuck in the ground, get spliced with horses, or decide to fly.
Actually, they do.
Usually mobs get stuck in tries, hills, underground or even stuck on location in evade mode.
But if I were to guess why this is a bigger problem for Skyrim is because of the interactivity.

WoW's NPC's walk a route, from A to B over a pre-set course. Yes, you can pull them off course, and if you did this you would also have noted that if you pull them too far, they race back to their route, while running over houses, up cliffs and through terrain.

Skyrim's NPC's a programmed to seek their own routes.
No matter what you would do to a NPC, it should (if working correctly) find it's own way through the terrain.

WoW, compared to Skyrim is not very interactive and is more or less comparable with Morrowind's NPC's rather then Skyrim.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I experienced issues like these in other games, so I reinstalled my graphics drivers and never experienced it again.

I suggest you do the same.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Eternal Taros said:
Shit like this is not helpful.
Your posts consist entirely of declarative statements that only serve to prove that you're an asshole.
Stop trying to justify it by saying you were trying to help.
You failed to show where I actually asked the OP for specs in your attempt to show that i'm an asshole.

Protip - you don't have to slant your choice of quotes to show i'm an asshole, i'm sure that comes across anyway.

I'm happy to help someone who asks for help, especially when it comes to computer problems. But you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves by providing specs and detailed info. But hell, just for you, i'll try anyway.

OP has already said he has overheating problems, cooling pads do little to help internal over heating, they generally just cool down the outer casing. Knowing what the temps are would help us figure out if it is a heating problem or not.

OP is using new graphics drivers, which isn't always the best way to go (especially when it comes to laptops). If we knew what drivers they were, we might be able to find out if there is a fault with them.

OP is using a (presumably) poor laptop. If we knew what the specs were, we could find out if his/her specs are capable of running the game well. His assertion that the game runs "lag free" sort of collides with the problems he is having.

Bottom line is, the OP started a thread saying that he believes the game was released early, using problems he is having as an argument. I, and mostly everyone else in this thread, are saying that the problem is more than likely on his end.

Eccentric Lich

Dec 8, 2009
distortedreality said:
Eccentric Lich said:
distortedreality said:
Taunta said:

Actually, you never once asked for specs. You only complained about how terrible my laptop was.
Actually, I did.

distortedreality said:
Do you even know what hardware you're running, other than "omg it's alienware"?

Might help us fix the problem, unless of course you want to keep blaming others for your problem.
Taunta said:
Fair enough.

But to be fair, I didn't get the "I want help to fix my problem" vibe from the OP, all I got was a "Game is broken, not my fault" vibe.
Yeah, that's not asking for specs. That's being a dick.

I wasn't trying to get the problem fixed here. I was just trying to present problems in a humourous way, perhaps provoking discussion. Not many of the problems I've had are game breaking and I can't see how any of it COULD be my fault since I didn't build the computer or the game nor use the wrong version.

If you want specs, here:

8GB RAM
Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz, 2001 MHz, 4 Core, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555MM
Windows 7 64bit

Anything else?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
You know what would be cool? A game that is FULL of glitches, the glitches are purposely put into the game, the challenge is to beat the game somehow. Objectives would be incredibly easy like go by a gallon of milk but once you step outside a full range of things can happen. Maybe textures don't render right, maybe the gravity is messed up and you start to slowly float away, the npcs register you as hostile for some reason, etc. I'm not saying that's what Skyrim is but I think it could be cool if a game was made intentionally extremely glitch filled.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
It's important to realize that bug fixing doesn't consist of fixing a single thing. Many things, like texture or animation errors, are often caused by interconnected errors. I'm sure that many of the bugs that you mentioned would require a complete overhaul of the programming, which would set the development time back by years. Take a look at the negative effects that their more recent patches have caused. For some users they actually made the game more buggy! It is a shame that this is the nature of our medium, but these kinds of things tend to be inevitable.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Eccentric Lich said:
A. Alienwares are overpriced.

B. Brand new hardware/graphic drivers can be unreliable and this has nothing to do with the game.

C. This is an isolated case and claiming that "the game should of been delayed" is just stupid.

D. You're having a graphical problem and did not provide specs. Please provide specs.

Bhaalspawn said:
I know exactly what the problem is.

You have an unsupported graphics card. It requires a driver update (a serious one) or a newer card altogether.
Also QFT. Essentially this is the problem 99% of the time when these things happen. Its probably either an older driver and you havent updated, or a newer driver that Skyrim wasnt tested with and therefores its a driver problem, not a game problem.