Why So: Anti-Elf?

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Huh? Elves are fine with me. It's dwarves I don't really care for.
This. So much this. While Elves can be annoying in that holier than thou way (Yahtzee's video of Kingdoms of Amlamlam sums up Elves pretty much perfectly - even though its the Fae in that), at leas they're not the bloody Dwarves. They're even more cliched than the Elves. At least Elves come in different flavours (Wood Elf, High Elf, Dark Elf etc), where as Dwarves just come in one flavour (Stone Dwarf). I don't want to spend years running round your boring underground cities (If dwarves live most of their lives underground, why are they all weather-beaten and rugged? Surely they should all be blind albinoes..?) doing quests to find different flavours or ore for you. I'd rather be fucking about with the Elves up in the open air. Sure, they're all snooty and up themselves, but at least they live in the fucking sun.

Captcha: Nut case. Who, me!?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I don't hate elves but of you call your game fantasy and all you have for another playable race is elves or dwarves then your game is pretty much shit in my eyes. You could craft entire worlds of species and you could only pick people who are short or have pointy ears.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You clearly don't play Dwarf Fortress.

Outside of Dwarf Fortress, I tend to like the elves, but don't choose to play as one normally because they rarely fit what I want to be. (Exception: Elder Scrolls.)

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Kimarous said:
Almost everywhere I hear mention of elves, it's in the negative sense. It feels like almost everyone hates elves in any setting, and I don't really get why. Is it because of how they are portrayed? I know I've seen more than my share of holier-than-thou High Elves and super-green Wood Elves, but I hate the archetype more than I do the species. Is it because they are so effeminate-looking? Really, I'm starting to feel like people are deliberately viewing them as effeminate just to mock them. Is it because of the "weak and frail" portrayals, meaning they are pitifully easy to squash? Who's to say you can't make a badass elf?

If you hate elves for some reason, please explain why. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who likes to view them positively. Is it just that the anti-elf people are just a crapton more vocal about the matter?
I assume because "dark" fantasy has an unspoken requirement of racial oppression, and people would ***** if the humans weren't the ones in powers. Also oppressing dwarfs in games runs the risk of pissing off real dwarfs. And modern fantasy is too lazy to move away from Tolkien so they're stuck with elves.

Oh derp only gave the OP a quick once-over. I suspect it's probably somewhat WoW's fault. At one point a lot of idiots were picking Night Elves and that kind of gave them a stigma.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Kimarous said:
Who's to say you can't make a badass elf?
Well, I know of 1 badass elf...
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

That being said, I love elves.
I prefer them over dwarves and definitely over goblins.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Arashiofordo3 said:
I just wish people would portray elves like they're supposed to be. Underhanded sneaky bastards who will steal your children. World of Darkness has had the best portrayal of them so far. This unknowable eliminate which makes them totally alien. They're too busy going 'fuck you guys' to give a shit about your pathetic little life.

People too often forget that elves are evil and it's a problem, because now everyone expects them to be totally cool and awesome and sexy and wonderful and magical and wise and ancient and all that shit. They completely miss the whole steal your kid away leave a changeling in it's place and rase your stolen baby as a slave to their whims.

In fact it isn't just elves, its all fay-kind. No one knows their fay-lore anymore because people expect them to all be 'good fairies' well guess what. Fairies were evil little shits as well.

Fuck all the fay, no one actually understands any of the supernatural lore and legends. Too much of this god damn twilight-misinterpretation bullshit. Christ Edward Cullen wasn't even a vampire. He's a god damn Sidhe or however it is you spell it.

People are dumb.

Yours.

Arashi of Ordo 3. [supernatural enthusiast]
It's a good thing that it changed, look at how tired we are of the modern elf that have become common relatively recent, imagine how boring every story would be if we had to use the same old style of fay age after age. Also you had a lot of good fairies in old myth like the brownies or the fallen angels.

Casual Shinji said:
Just as with vampires, it's simply a question of oversaturation.

But more than elves I hate the whole "they're victims of racism" spin that every fantasy game has now. It's like developers think that by adding racism it gives a fantasy realm more credibility.
It's because the random genric evil god/something or other got over used and a new story motivator was needed for the lazy writer. I'm okay with elves, I just thing there getting overused and there always the same in every story, just like dwarfs dig and furry races are always tribal in fantasy. I'm even getting bored of dragons.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
I like the sterotypical elves, they make me happy. Especially when they are benevolent like in Eragon. In fact, the one elven race I can't stand are the elder scrolls series elves, those are just evil.

For evil to work, there must be a motto, it can't be just "we want to kill everything for funsies", there is need for a story, like Nagato (Pain) in Naruto.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Craorach said:
I don't hate elves. I hate any "perfect race" as Elves are all to often portrayed to be. One of my favourite parts of the Dragon Age settings is that they are far from perfect in that world.

overpuce said:
Though, IMHO, Orlando Bloom didn't do anything but hinder Human/Elf relations.
Yes, but the movies made up for that with Liv Tyler being Arwen... mmm.. Human/Elf relations >.>

WHAT?!?
Liv Tyler ruined every scene she was in. Then they put her in scenes that made no sense at all so she could ruin those as well. (oh Frodo don't die... I know I just met you and have no connection to you at all but i'm going to drag down this entire scene with horrible over-acting so you'll forget that the river rising up was actually Elrond and Gandalf being awesome and grrrr)

EDIT: On topic I don't mind elves it's just that they pop up everywhere. So I wouldn't mind a Talislanta video game is what i'm saying.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
I like Elves when they're handled by people who aren't idiots. I'm so sick and tired of people retreading the same two grounds: Elves as ancient people now dying out and Elves as oppressed minority. Why can't we ever have the Elves at their height? They often make for an interesting contrast to Humanity.

They also need to be reasonable. Any 'superiority' needs to be clearly in their mind. Any places they're actually better than Humanity need to be countered by places where they have clearly faltered. They should not have a single homogenous culture. And while they might be vegetarians in tune with nature, there is a line between 'in tune with nature' and 'if you cut down a tree, you are evil.'

Dwarf Fortress Elves are fine, because they're supposed to be comical.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Purge the xenos! Destroy the unclean! Exterminate the filth!

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Well personally I feel that my fantasy setting need to be a certain way if I'm going to enjoy it. Elves are an important part of that, and I like their inclusion because they are often portrayed a bit exteme in their particular way of behaving. The High Elf are typically very full of themselves, claiming to be the perfect race and more often than not decendants of the gods themselves. The Dark Elf are the gloomy and darker version of the High Elf, though often not with the same tall view of themselves, and the Woodelf become that sort of treehugging naturalist with a somewhat agressive stance towards any sort of industrialization or large-scale organization.

In the same way I like my orcs in fantasy, and I like them portrayed as a demented version of the elf family.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I hate the tree hugging bow flingers. x: But thats just me.
I didnt mind the Dunmer in Morrowind, but lets be honest, they were all kind of a-holes, and it was their right, being their native home. And now i absolutely hate the way most elves look in Skyrim. Its not terrible, and you can still create good looking elves, but i just dont care for it as much as before.

I think it just tends to be more of what elves represent. "Best at magic", "in tune with nature", "Pure", "Fae". I dont care much for magic even though i love high fantasy settings. And something about the way elves act always gets me. Its..... stuck up. Most wont stand there and say "Im better then you" straight to your face, but a lot of them have that tone of voice, that way they carry themselves. Its snooty, and elvish.

I didnt mind the 40k style Elves, or the ones from The Witcher. But 40k doesnt count so much. Sure, they are still snooty and annoying, but they are also pretty grimdark.

Quakester

Blaster Master
Apr 27, 2010
It's said that you respect people for their strengths but love them for their flaws. Elves are generally portrayed as not having any flaws. They are beautiful, immortal, at peace with the world, magically unstoppable, able to see into the future and hundred other positive things. In the end, they usually come off as arrogant and pushy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
same problem i have with dwarves.(a part from dwarves just sucking)

a lack of creativity.

every 'fantasy' setting is so busy taking pages from LoTR that they don't bother coming up with any new races to make things interesting. yes coming up with a new race, and the lore for them is hard, but in the end it's far more worth while. i mean i have more respect for WoW in this regard then DA:O, cause at least WoW deviated and came up with or just used a few more races then the standard three

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
Why is there: a colon. I've never encountered elf hate, but it may be because they are the least compelling of all the fantasy races. They're almost always portrayed as a race of uptight pretty people, which is a pretty lame idea.
Whats wrong with reining down destruction and looking hot as you do it?

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I dislike them for being the "superior than you"-race. I'm looking at you, Inheritance Cycle Elves. Eldest ruined elves forever for me.

I like the Dragon Age Elves but only when muted (don't like the accent) because they're generally down trodden and are societally lower than the humans (what can I say, I like my species)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Elves, dwarves......seriously cant someone create a fantasy with brand new races instead of reusing elves again. They are always the bloody same in every game to the point you can already guess what that character will be like based on that they are Elves. Same with Dwarves.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
Liv Tyler ruined every scene she was in. Then they put her in scenes that made no sense at all so she could ruin those as well. (oh Frodo don't die... I know I just met you and have no connection to you at all but i'm going to drag down this entire scene with horrible over-acting so you'll forget that the river rising up was actually Elrond and Gandalf being awesome and grrrr)
Actually, it made perfect sense. See, the Nazgul weren't really dead, and they'd gotten themselves a target designator laser to call in a missile strike against Frodo, so Liv Tyler has to wrap her arms around him cause she's so blurry and soft focus that they don't get a good signal off her.

Oh, come on, it makes much more sense than a woman who is like 2,700 years old to fall in love with Aragorn, who is like 70. And you'll note that only elf women give up their immortality for human men, not the other way round, and they all have names about how pretty their hair is and stuff, not like the men who have manly man names about being warriors and stuff. Blech.

And all that complaining about how better it was in some mythical old time before all the other races (who, actually, work in mines and farms, as opposed to the elves who just sit around all day in their tree palaces) turned up and they had to share.

Elves would vote for far-right conservative parties. Yes they would.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
There are several ways to think about this:

The fact that elves are not the strongest means they must rely upon intelligence, speed, and agility to get stuff done. But this can also mean that elves resort to sneaky tactics, which some people find unfair and annoying.

Another reason could be their look. Some people may not like the clean-shaven, skinny, and pointy-eared look because this doesn't scream "strength & power", which in a videogame, most people feel like experiencing.

But recently, I've found that hating elves comes directly from current games we have. In The Witcher 2, elves (and dwarves) are despised and treated as second-class citizens, because it's an interesting plot device which cleverly dodges/addresses racism. This happened in Dragon Age as well. I believe people are hating elves because our perspective of them is changing in the fantasy genre.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Arashiofordo3 said:
I just wish people would portray elves like they're supposed to be. Underhanded sneaky bastards who will steal your children. World of Darkness has had the best portrayal of them so far. This unknowable eliminate which makes them totally alien. They're too busy going 'fuck you guys' to give a shit about your pathetic little life.

People too often forget that elves are evil and it's a problem, because now everyone expects them to be totally cool and awesome and sexy and wonderful and magical and wise and ancient and all that shit. They completely miss the whole steal your kid away leave a changeling in it's place and rase your stolen baby as a slave to their whims.

In fact it isn't just elves, its all fay-kind. No one knows their fay-lore anymore because people expect them to all be 'good fairies' well guess what. Fairies were evil little shits as well.

Fuck all the fay, no one actually understands any of the supernatural lore and legends. Too much of this god damn twilight-misinterpretation bullshit. Christ Edward Cullen wasn't even a vampire. He's a god damn Sidhe or however it is you spell it.

People are dumb.

Yours.

Arashi of Ordo 3. [supernatural enthusiast]
Someone has Played Changeling the lost. Fae are mercurial their emotions shift like the wind. One minute their happy loving, the next they are cruel unmerciful and vile. They are sexy, but only as a way to fool and control others. They can be as monstrous as demons or as good as angels. But make no mistake. They are not trustworthy. Their lives are measured in centuries while ours are in decades. They car nothing for us other then as entertainment or playthings. In short they are not worthy of praise.

That's not just from Changeling I know a lot of stories takes this bent. But it's getting rarer in rarer.