Why so much hate for consoles?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Dragonbums said:
PC only people whine about console exclusives taking away games they want to play (get a console then), yet when a game is exclusive for the PC and console owners complain all we get from them is a sneer and "that's why your stupid for playing games on such inferior hardware." Like, get fucking real here. You sound like an ass. Stop it.
This, this right fucking here and why I'm so sick and bloody tired of the PC only people.

To them they act this out as if it is a one way street where console users aren't allowed to have their own games yet PC only people are allowed to have their own and that frankly pisses me off to a point where I just want to kick their face to the curb.

Consoles have their exclusives and so do PC's, like Dragonbums said if you want a console exclusive(s) then go grab a console (trust me savin up can do anyone wonders when they actually do it) and if you want ones for PC then build one, both are simple to do.

Now as for myself I was brought up on a fair amount of PC and console gamin so I like both along with handhelds and see no "inferior" experiences when I game and having someone tell me otherwise can go shove it where the sun don't shine.

Oh and for the people not seeing the apparent "console hate" look no further than the Escapist and other gaming websites because I see it almost every single day and it hurts to see places like the ES being 90% PC and objective as fuck.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
TehCookie said:
J Tyran said:
Do you and your family by overpriced pre-built junk by any chance? You know crap like Alienware, "gaming PCs" or cheap pre-built systems? All of those systems use the cheapest possible components often from unbranded manufacturers or ones known for high failure rates. Either this or you and your family are bodging them together and doing it wrong.
All were custom made, but some were ordered from cyberpower who did the assembly and others were us building them. None were cheap or random parts either.
TehCookie said:
Though my liquid loop was closed and put in by cyperpower so no one in my family touched it, I haven't even opened the case to upgrade it before it broke. As much as you say bad luck, consoles failing is the same way, bad luck.
Cyberpower tend to use Asetek closed loop liquid cooling systems, some of the Asetek models are literally copies of Corsair products... built down to a price. They make Corsairs liquid cooling products but use some of the same designs for their non branded coolers with cheaper materials.

So as I and others guessed, budget parts.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It's not "hate" it's just a little rivalry and VS threads like this are usually entertaining. Bad would be apathy.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Well, the evolution of a machine that plays games to a multi-media device is quite an obvious one. Its simply the evolution of a device with limited use to one with a less limited one (Phone-> smartphone). Here is the thing though, such a device already exists, has similar power for the same price and is quite good at being a multi-media system, and even more. Its called a PC.
Well yeah. That's how it's been since the dawn of computers and consoles. The difference is that not everyone has a computer or laptop built for gaming anyway. PC's are a jack of all trades sort of deal. Most PC's on the market are going to focus on processing power of multiple programs. With a decent video card that can handle movies. Gaming is usually the last thing preset models focus on when on display. Unless of course you specifically ask for one.

On the sales thing, I got me Far Cry 2 special edition retail for PC from my local store for 1.50 euro back in early 2009. I got Chaos theory, L4D2, L4D 1 and CoH for 1 euro each. We dont have GameStop here, but retailers, especially ones ine europe have some great deals.
aaaaah, I'm in the US, so excuse me for my ignorance on European currency. Although one euro hardly sounds as much so it probably is a great deal. All I have around here is Gamestop. EB games...doesn't really count seeing as how they merged with Gamestop anyway.

So it goes both ways :p. Also, remember, GoG and its sales and The Humble Bundle.
I already have Steam...and the number of accounts on my computer is starting to get a bit out of control. So I'm going to pass on GoG. I don't know about Humble Bundles...they just never really interested me.

The Exclusive thing is simple: These games were made ON a PC. Their expensive ass engine can do most of their work in porting for them. Most modders can create an options menu and even some light optimization in their free time. Besides, us PC players are not part of the "console war".
But again- with PC's one has to take into account that not everyone can run the game at max graphics, or even mid graphics. A lot of PC users have only the most basic things to make the machine run for a good few years and that's it. You cannot assume that slap on the highest graphics and be done with it. There is much more consideration for PC than you think. You have space to take into consideration. Computers range from a lot of space, to pack rat space. You have to consider the software model for the computer (Windows 7, Vista, Linux, Mac?) You have to take hardware into consideration, and even the components that make things up. That can be a lot of money to burn....unless your the type of person to say fuck you to all who don't meet a specific standard. People praise Crytek for the level of graphic fidelity on PC's. However I know for a fact that I'm not going to experience 20% of that on my current laptop. (providing it doesn't crash and burn the moment I boot it up anyway.)

Why get shafted when MS or Sony out-dick eachother.
I'm with Nintendo so I never get shafted....unless region-lock affects you (and if you go with Nintendo don't complain about only being Nintendo games. You knew this.) I tend to watch from the sidelines with a bag of popcorn. Of course Sony and Microsoft fans sure love to attempt to drag Nintendo into their nonsense.(That is not to say that Nintendo is devoid of flaws, but compared to M$ and Sony they are simply splinters.)

And last but not least, why LIMIT your game so badly.
I can hardly call my games limited. They are fully fleshed out and were designed within the parameters that devs deemed was not only reasonable in content to cost, but also budget wise. Unless of course your a piece of shit dev that takes stuff out of the game to charge for dlc. Then again that's no so much limiting but omitting certain parts of the games unless someone ponies up.

Very few PS3s will be left in 20 years. I dont think Sony will allow PS5 to do backwards-compatibility
Sony and Microsoft have been crying about doing BC since the dawn of the PS3 and Xbox360 era. It was only a matter of time before they could use the excuse of better hardware to justify not doing it anymore. Best part is that some people actually believed that shit.
Again, not a problem when you are with Nintendo since they do quite a good job with re releasing retro titles on the eshop and they always make sure to make their newest consoles BC for at least one generation. It kind of baffles and amuse me that Nintendo has always done backwards compatibility as a must-have feature for all of their systems since the Gameboy Color and not once did the fans have to resort to begging for such a feature. Yet for the other two they have to fight fans of this every step of the way.

so you must trust PC users will make emulators if you want to experience The Last of Us then. This, along with backwards compatibility and the close nature of the software... a baffling, profits first, gaming, art, longevity and care for the medium second...
By the time 30 years comes around playing the Last of Us on a PC then, will be the equivalent of playing Super Mario Bros. today.
However that is a lot of years between now and then. Who knows if the gaming industry is even still alive at that time. (and with the rate they are going now it doesn't look so pretty.)

As for price of hardware and its power. I agree, you cant beat a console on its launch in the Price/Performance category. In order to beat a PS4, I will have to fork out around 650 dollers. Maybe more, id need a sale on some components. BUT, here are some factors you need to take into account:
1. You NEED a PC. Its almost an essential thing. For work/school/multimedia/games/more stuff...
Everyone needs a PC. However as I've stated earlier for most people gaming on a PC is usually at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to priorities. Because again, the average consumer will simply buy a console for their gaming experience.

2. Next year, 2014, we PC users get DDR 4 Ram and GDDR6 GPU memory.
All PC users? Or just the PC gaming enthusiasts? Also, how many people who own a PC right now will even bother getting a new computer anyway. Especially if they just got one last year or two years ago. I'm only thinking of getting a new laptop with a back up harddrive because mines' right now is currently 7 years old and while it's working fine- I really don't want to risk the machine pooting out on me when I really need it.(college and all that.)

3. No developer/publisher can pull the plug on your game's old multiplayer mode. You can have unoficial servers for as long as you have players.
The truly multiplayer games I have right now are all on the computer anyway. So that is hardly a downside. Besides for console games I am more for the brink of extinction local multiplayer aspect. You know, a game that me and my friends can all play together in the same room.
Online multiplayer was never a big interest to me nor was it ever necessary in half the games it's shoehorned in.

4. Some mods are better than the vast majority of AAA games (Research And Development, M.I.S.E.R.Y., Minerva Metastasis etc). They arent just some small modification or a new clothes/nudity mode (though those too exist). They are new GAMES. That is a lot of value and it keeps a
5. Stronger community. See the STALKER community, the Skyrim one, the Half Life one. These are real communities even for Single player games that keep themselvs afloat on user created content (and of coarse, the base game being excellent).
I agree with you on the mods part. However me personally, I don't really use them. The only modes I kind of want to get right now (but have been too lazy to actually do it) are the female models of the TF2 characters. Only other mods I got was for Skyrim and it was the Moons to Elsewyr pack. Other than that...yeah. I don't really indulge all that much in mods. I guess I like vanilla games a lot. If the game is lacking in content, then I simply won't buy it anyway. If the mod community is good I will choose to get it on a PC like I did with the Elder Scrolls.

As for your remarks on graphics and their cost. Please, explain to me then, how the hell does Metro Last Light look so good? The only game that might be its graphical competitor right now is Crysis 3. Thats it. And they did it, with a small budget and the actual game was DAMN good as well ( best I played this year). Why does STALKER, a game from 2007 have better lightning and atmospheric effects than games today? Why is its AI and scale so much more impressive then what we see now?
Costs are due to marketing, voice actors and sometimes due to cutting and optimizing for weak hardware.
That is a result of developers who take their time to get to know the hardware they are working on and find shortcuts and secrets to get the most out of it.
I did a little research on the whole Metro game and it came onto the Xbox 360 as well. So I'm assuming that it looked as good as Crysis on there? Or are you talking about the PC version? I guess I'm just going to go with the console version.

Any dev worth their salt will always find a way to make the best out of a game within the parameters or limitations. the phrase "limitation breeds creativity" comes to mind.
Most devs now however are only content with looking at the numbers, throwing their kits down and saying "we can't work wit this" have they tried to work with it? You'd be surprised how you can get so much out of something supposedly inferior.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were games simply packed with content and it is a pretty decent length game. All done on a system that is labelled as woefully inferior to it's other competitors.
The WiiU is stronger then both 360 and PS4 and already most of the devs, without even ACTUALLY doing anything for it have already written it off.
Yet after recently seeing the trailer for X that is coming out on the WiiU it shows just how much people can do with the system, and the game is supposedly open world.

captcha: sunday funday- you are two days too late for that.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
J Tyran said:
TehCookie said:
J Tyran said:
Do you and your family by overpriced pre-built junk by any chance? You know crap like Alienware, "gaming PCs" or cheap pre-built systems? All of those systems use the cheapest possible components often from unbranded manufacturers or ones known for high failure rates. Either this or you and your family are bodging them together and doing it wrong.
All were custom made, but some were ordered from cyberpower who did the assembly and others were us building them. None were cheap or random parts either.
TehCookie said:
Though my liquid loop was closed and put in by cyperpower so no one in my family touched it, I haven't even opened the case to upgrade it before it broke. As much as you say bad luck, consoles failing is the same way, bad luck.
Cyberpower tend to use Asetek closed loop liquid cooling systems, some of the Asetek models are literally copies of Corsair products... built down to a price. They make Corsairs liquid cooling products but use some of the same designs for their non branded coolers with cheaper materials.

So is Corsairs bad/overpriced? Since that's what I replaced it with...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
TehCookie said:
J Tyran said:
TehCookie said:
J Tyran said:
TehCookie said:

So is Corsairs bad/overpriced? Since that's what I replaced it with...
Corsair are ok if a tiny bit overpriced, not by much though and nothing like Zalman and a few others. I have heard the software is a bit limited compared to some of the more extensive offerings that come from other manufacturers.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
BleedingPride said:
I'll be brief, I recognize PC's as superior platforms on multiple levels. However, I think the prices to buy good PCs are too high for me to afford. Instead of buying a $2000 PC, I buy a console for (lets use the PS4 as an example) $400, plus a nice game to go with it, landing at a total of $460. I still have $1540, still get reasonably good quality and I am able to play games that I enjoy. I see so much hate on consoles, but I don't quite understand why. Isn't the point to play games? Why do people seem to treat consoles like the apocalypse of the game industry? Are they? If so, why?

EDIT: I'm only using $2000 because my friend is building his own PC and this was the price he ended up with.

2nd EDIT: Actually, the price tag is more like $1300, however even if I bought a PS4 I'd still have $840 left over.
Jesus H Christ your friend spent too much money.

So really you're making a comparison to something that costs more than it should and going "why pay that?"
Which is nonsense.

In the end, consoles are great, they're just not PC's. PC's are better and more useful in every sense. But if you need to be cheap, or want console exclusives, then yea, get a console. Anyone who says consoles are bad (Xbone excluded, cuz it is bad, and Microsoft should feel bad) is a moron.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Ieyke said:
BleedingPride said:
I'll be brief, I recognize PC's as superior platforms on multiple levels. However, I think the prices to buy good PCs are too high for me to afford. Instead of buying a $2000 PC, I buy a console for (lets use the PS4 as an example) $400, plus a nice game to go with it, landing at a total of $460. I still have $1540, still get reasonably good quality and I am able to play games that I enjoy. I see so much hate on consoles, but I don't quite understand why. Isn't the point to play games? Why do people seem to treat consoles like the apocalypse of the game industry? Are they? If so, why?

EDIT: I'm only using $2000 because my friend is building his own PC and this was the price he ended up with.

2nd EDIT: Actually, the price tag is more like $1300, however even if I bought a PS4 I'd still have $840 left over.
Jesus H Christ your friend spent too much money.

So really you're making a comparison to something that costs more than it should and going "why pay that?"
Which is nonsense.

In the end, consoles are great, they're just not PC's. PC's are better and more useful in every sense. But if you need to be cheap, or want console exclusives, then yea, get a console. Anyone who says consoles are bad (Xbone excluded, cuz it is bad, and Microsoft should feel bad) is a moron.
No, not really. I'm saying that if you can get a reasonably good experience on consoles for a lower price, even if it's less quality than a good gaming PC, why so much hate for consoles. I got my numbers wrong, and my friend is spending a bit too much.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
BleedingPride said:
There's a LOT wrong here. PCs don't fuck up period? That's just wrong. If you were to say that on TV you'd get the apple vs pc commercial putting all those disclaimers on the screen.
Skip the next line where I say "Alright they do, but only if you've done something wrong or are unlucky" why don't you. Hell, you even quoted it. They stuff up, but its either 'cause you did something wrong, or because you were unlucky.
And yeah, the Apple vs PC adds were bullshit. Good for a laugh I guess, but I know few people who took them seriously. They're "You don't need a Mac, but you want one" approach to marketing was far better IMO, and god knows it won them the smartphone arena.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
Oh wow. Just wow. Wanna know what my job is? I answer the phone and listening to how people's pc's got fucked up. Long story short, the root of most of our problems is Microsoft. But its not like games practically only ported to Windows. Oh wait... Seriously, if you think its luck you're wrong. The higher ups at my work have been doing this for a good 30+ years and they still run into problems that completely stump them or the solution to said problem isn't something we can do or requires too much work. Example, printing directly from the Blackboard website on IE10 results in a few hundred pages of gibberish being shot out of the MFD. We so far don't have a way to fix this problem other than using another browser except we can't because "IE is the standard" or downgrading to IE9 but then the computers will auto update it anyway. Thats completely disregarding my own experience. I was adjusting the graphic settings for Boarderlands 2 the other day (the ever smart auto detect was kind enough to set my resolution stupidly low) and the game kept locking up and I had to restart my computer. And while trying to give fallout mods a go, I kept getting a "low memory" with no explanation and gave up after an hour of googling cause I just stopped giving a fuck. But hey, I must just be unlucky right?
Yeah, I'll give that tech support is a shit job. From numerous family and friends that are in the business though, again most of it comes down to user stupidity or stubbornness, or their need to be right and do what they want to do, rather than listening to what you've told them to do as that will fix the problem, defeating the entire purpose of paying for support anyway. If you don't have to put up with a ton of that, consider yourself lucky.
And, yeah, those problems seem to be either largely luck, or bad choices. The Internet explorer one - what does "IE is the standard" mean? If it means blackboard is only compatible with I.E fair enough, and bug the developers to hell about that one, but if it just means that its what you do and always have used so you don't want to change, that IMO is stupidity unless there are very valid reasons that you should not change - I.E; security issues. There is a solution to the problem, its not been used. That is not the computer's fault [And I'd wager the problem itself is the developers fault and a bug, which occur on both PC and console, but are easier to fix on PC].
Borderlands I'll put down as either luck, or a known bug that the devs should fix [One did occur in the latest DLC where any PhysX setting bar low could cause the game to freeze], and that also has been reported on consoles. Is that the console's fault? Or is it just the bad luck of whoever ran into that bug, whilst the majority of others didn't?
Fallout I'll give 90% to the developers being a bunch of monkeys. Bethesda couldn't code a stable game if their life depended on it. Trying to mod the game just adds more problems though, and there is a high potential that you unknowingly messed something up in the modding process. That or you are unlucky, as some others are, as there are a lot of people that manage to get mods running perfectly fine on their Fallout games.

The problems listed are either not related to gaming and thus largely irrelevant to the discussion, a problem that may be able to be solved but isn't [Note: May, not can], or developers being incompetent or lazy, a problem for both PCs and consoles that is unrelated to the platform.
Yes, I should have added in a clause about bugs as they are present on both PCs and consoles, and are largely beyond the users control [Except for a number of PC games where 3rd party programs or mods can fix them].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'll make this clear here. No, PCs do not have no bugs, no problems, no crashes. These still occur. A very large portion of this is due to user error, the next largest is developer fault, and then bad luck. The first is something that cannot be attributed to the platform, only the user. The second is not exclusive to PCs, and is highly present on consoles too. The last is a genuine problem with your specific computer that has inexplicably left it unable to run a certain game, with no valid reason being able to be found. And you know what? That happens on consoles.
The "PCs don't fuck up, period" line was meant to be taken in the same vein as the "There is no machine error, only user error" line - the machine doesn't fuck up, unless you're unlucky. It does exactly what it was told to do.
I mostly take offense to the attitude some have regarding problems where if a bug, error, crash, freeze, hang, or bricking happens on a console its just really bad luck on the part of the user, or they own an Xbox 360, but if it happens on the PC its to be expected as its an omnipresent problem synonymous with gaming on the PC. That is false, and people who say so tend to piss me off.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Joccaren said:
-------------

I think I'll make this clear here. No, PCs do not have no bugs, no problems, no crashes. These still occur.
Great, glad we are all on the same page here. I only took issue with that statement, and the mac and pc commercial was being used as an example, I never said I was a fan of them, MACs tend to blow harder than an hovercraft fan.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I've never owned a console before, but with the next gen, I'll be switching too. I always disliked consoles, but with changing personal preferences, changing conditions of living, and a changing gaming industries, and the next generation of consoles, the advantages became just too overwhelming. I'd have to buy a new PC anyway, as my notebook can't handle next gen graphics. And I'm sure the Xbox Live crown will give me a very warm welcome. ;)

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Dragonbums said:
One thing I have observed is some of the PC folks hate on the consoles is because they have become "cheap PC's" well who's fault is that exactly?

The "PC Master Race" meme/fandom/crew/whatever the fuck it is have been loud and vocal about how "PC's can do things consoles can't" and as such devs and publishers alike have said "how can we make our consoles more like PC's" hence why they are now trying to do these things.
The things you're bitching about here are natural progressions for the console market -- HD graphics, social gaming, advanced hardware, etc. Due to the ever-increasing popularity of video gaming, these types of things would have been integrated into the console market regardless of whether or not they were pioneered by the PC side. Don't blame PCs for that shit.

The same way you guys complain about consoles bringing over shitty UI, and DRM practices the same could be said for PC users- if it wasn't for your graphics superiority soapboxes and how "oh so much better" your PC's are at graphics, we probably wouldn't still be sinking shit loads of money into graphics because devs want to make games stand on par with the PC.
Graphical advancements are a natural occurrence, because - duh - hardware tech tends to advance as time goes by. Again, don't blame PC gaming for something a basic as that. Anyway, console devs aren't sinking money into graphics in order to keep up with their PC brethren -- they know that's a lost cause. They're investing in better graphics because the tech allows it.

Also why is Steam Sales even a pro for PC's.
I can get games as cheap as $5.00 at Gamestop all year round on a console. PC gamers literally have to wait until summer or holiday sales to get games at that low a price.
Now is such a thing true for newly released games on consoles? Not necessarily, however it's not like newly released games on Steam are that much cheaper anyway.
So you're essentially telling us that you can pick up brand new titles for $5? Bullshit. You know what kind of deals I can get as a PC gamer? I can get new titles for anywhere from 20-50% off. I can get heavy discounts on digital titles year round from a nice selection of over a dozen online distributors. I can get free games from indie developers and through Steam giveaways and GPU bundles. I don't need to wait for seasonal sales, because discounts are part and parcel of the PC gaming experience.

Only suckers pay full price for their PC games.

At this point I'm so tired of it. No one platform is holding the other back. It's all on the devs on how they want to run things.
It's irrelevant what the devs want. Publishers and console makers rule the roost, and they decide what gets made, how it gets made and who makes it. Of course, there are exceptions, but developer control is largely a myth.

PC only people whine about console exclusives taking away games they want to play (get a console then), yet when a game is exclusive for the PC and console owners complain all we get from them is a sneer and "that's why your stupid for playing games on such inferior hardware." Like, get fucking real here. You sound like an ass. Stop it.
As far as I'm concerned, you can keep your crappy console games, and I can guarantee you that the majority of PC gamers feel the same way as I do about that little topic. Whenever us PC gamers just happen to get handed a console port, it's inevitably filled with all the horrible limitations that make console gaming so unappealing to so many people: headache-inducing FOV, shitty gamepad-centric control schemes, limited graphical options, subpar technical code, UIs only fit for special-needs chimpanzees, artificially limited development output, and a whole host of other issues.

No offense, but you sound like an extremely butt-hurt console fanboy when you rant about how the PC gaming community has persecuted you and your favored platform. No one's on your back, simply because we don't care enough about your personal preference to get all dictatorial on your ass. You don't need to take criticisms of the console industry so seriously.