Why so much hate for Halo in particular

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
I guess the escapist is a good place to discuss what games are overrated and underrated, and i've noticed that one of the most games is Halo series. Let me say that i'm not so much defending Halo, as i thought the original was good but the two sequels were too much of the same, but why particularly Halo. There's not nearly as much talk about Half-life 2, Gears of War, Bioshock and such being overrated, or at least not comparing to the ammount of Halo bashing there is. So to hone in on an example, why so little Half-life 2 bashing. I'm actually a big fan of Half-life series since the first one, but i still think HL2 wasn't quite what i'd call great or excellent, but that's a different story. So is there any reason why there's so much freedom in bashing Halo in contrast with other mainstream games?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Because Halo has far more fans among the great unwashed and somehow it's become the new cool thing to do, like bashing religion.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
It's also the forumla to achieve a "hot" thread. Essentially, piss as many people off as possible. Just like the "anti Half-Life 2 threads".

If you post it, they will come.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Here are some examples of why people do it:
1. The fanboys of another console hating it because it's the big game on 360
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
3. The pretentious fuckheads who hate it because it is popular and they want to convince themselves they are special
4. The hypocritical and annoying Valve fanboys
5. The ones who hate for the sake of hating.

I said it before in another thread and I decided to just put it here as otherwise I'd be repeating myself. I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary. I'm a tired warrior returning from the forum battle and I just want to rest. But one final swing with my sword is this point made by all people on youtube:

'Oh man Halo fanboys are so annoying, when I say Halo sucks balls in one of their private forums they all get all angry. If I say I hate Halo because it fuckin' sucks and is overrated because it's overrated and it's overrated because it sucks and that it's fanbase are all retarded... they all spam me with hate.'

OF COURSE THEY DO MORON, because you INSULTED THEM. What did you expect was going to happen when you made a video on youtube about how Halo sucks and then link it to Halo related media?!
If you INSULT people, they get MAD. Can you comprehend this?
Try this, say simply:
"Halo's just not my thing, I respect that you like it but I prefer this kind of game."
Then see if this polite respective response is met with a polite refined:
"Okay then peace out."

Because see there is no such thing as rabid fanboys, there are people who get angry when someone harshly insults them and their favourite game unprovoked.

youdontbelong

Apr 1, 2009
its called tall poppy syndrome, because its so popular its the obvious target to be cut down.

it was a bit too popular for a game that was average to play, except for the grifball mod,which is awesome.

May 17, 2007
People get annoyed that a game they didn't like is so popular. Some people can't stand to see other people who have different opinions to theirs, so they have to fight about it; the more popular the game, the more people disagree with them, so the more enraged they get whenever it's mentioned.

I say this in every anti-(GAME) thread, but I'll keep saying it because so few people seem to have learned the lesson: if other people like a game that you don't like, that doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant or part of a cult. It means the game was better suited to their tastes than it was to yours. Your opinions are not facts. Even if you think they're indisputable, they're not.

Vrex360 said:
Careful. You're crossing a line there. "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Because Halo has far more fans among the great unwashed and somehow it's become the new cool thing to do, like bashing religion.
Yeah, so true. Sometimes it just becomes the fashionable thing to do.

Ghostkai said:
It's also the forumla to achieve a "hot" thread. Essentially, piss as many people off as possible. Just like the "anti Half-Life 2 threads".

If you post it, they will come.
I suppose hater threads tend get alot of views and responses :(

Vrex360 said:
Here are some examples of why people do it:
1. The fanboys of another console hating it because it's the big game on 360
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
3. The pretentious fuckheads who hate it because it is popular and they want to convince themselves they are special
5. The ones who hate for the sake of hating.

I said it before but there they are again.
True, there do seem to be alot of people who become haters just because a games big or because it might make them feel a bit more individual. HL2 fans really do like to bash Halo for some reason.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Fraser.J.A said:
People get annoyed that a game they didn't like is so popular. Some people can't stand to see other people who have different opinions to theirs, so they have to fight about it; the more popular the game, the more people disagree with them, so the more enraged they get whenever it's mentioned.

I say this in every anti-(GAME) thread, but I'll keep saying it because so few people seem to have learned the lesson: if other people like a game that you don't like, that doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant or part of a cult. It means the game was better suited to their tastes than it was to yours. Your opinions are not facts. Even if you think they're indisputable, they're not.

Vrex360 said:
Careful. You're crossing a line there. "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
that's a really cool quote, where's it from?
Also I agree I try to watch my slander because I don't want to one day look into the mirror and see an internet troll staring back.

SimpsonsParadox

May 21, 2009
Several reasons, probably.

1) Console wars. It's an Xbox 360 exclusive, and some people just can't let go.

2) The thread metals. Start a thread bashing something popular, watch the flame war start and get your shiny new metal. Wooo.

3) It actually deserves criticism. The Halo series in general is rather over rated, and although certain facets of the series are certainly deserving of praise (Forge, support for Machinima, Multiplayer), more are deserving of an absolute tearing apart.

4) The Halo fanboys and detractors need something to keep them occupied for ODST.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Because it seems to be the catalyst for any number of crappy threads. Would it not be easier to just have a sticky for the HALO threads and let them get on with it?
Seriously. Stop.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Because people want to be unique, same reason college kids hate capitalism, war, religion etc.
Just like there is GTA4 hate when people loved it when it came out.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Vrex360 said:
I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary.
Then just stop saying it, because I have valid reasons (that I don't need to explain) to not like Halo. Pretending everyone who doesn't enjoy your favourite game is an asshole with no right to having an own opinion is pretty narrow-minded.

I'd say it's because it gets so much praise while at the same time not giving many people the experience even more people seem to get from it.

While I personally preferred Half-Life to Halo any time all those Valve-fanboys are starting to annoy me extremely hard and ruin the game for me. Pretending it's all the sophisticated 1337 shit, masterfully written, perfectly executed, 100/100 etc. etc. while it's nothing more (and nothing less) than a very well done shooter that offers a quite nice experience. Whenever I turn on the game I feel like being part of those elitist and turn it off right again. Thanks, guys.

@OP: Your avatar has won this days' coolness prize: a blow-up washing machine. Pick it up yourself or send 150€ (Sorry, no USD) to get it sent to you by mail order.

Edit: But it's true that many people just hate for the sake of coolness. These days it's considered cool to hate popular things, so they do.

Edit#2: The quote is from Friedrich Nietzsche's "Beyond Good & Evil" :p

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Because it's mainstream now. People only hate mainstream and have a secret desire to be different from everyone else.

That said, I think Bioshock was amazing. ;)

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
joobnook47 said:
SimpsonsParadox said:
3) It actually deserves criticism. The Halo series in general is rather over rated, and although certain facets of the series are certainly deserving of praise (Forge, support for Machinima, Multiplayer), more are deserving of an absolute tearing apart.
It deserves criticism becuase it doesn't deserve tens that "professional" reviewers give it. Now all the Halo fanboys are going to say to me; "But Halo one deserves score of 10s" NO! Even that game was mediocre at best.

TimeSplitters series >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo series
I don't think any game deserves an unquestionable critisism, i like to point out flaws even in my favourite games. For example, Deus Ex is my favourite game of all time but the AI is just horrible.