Why so much hate for Halo in particular

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Gladion said:
Vrex360 said:
I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary.
Then just stop saying it, because I have valid reasons (that I don't need to explain) to not like Halo. Pretending everyone who doesn't enjoy your favourite game is an asshole with no right to having an own opinion is pretty narrow-minded.

I'd say it's because it gets so much praise while at the same time not giving many people the experience even more people seem to get from it.

While I personally preferred Half-Life to Halo any time all those Valve-fanboys are starting to annoy me extremely hard and ruin the game for me. Pretending it's all the sophisticated 1337 shit, masterfully written, perfectly executed, 100/100 etc. etc. while it's nothing more (and nothing less) than a very well done shooter that offers a quite nice experience. Whenever I turn on the game I feel like being part of those elitist and turn it off right again. Thanks, guys.

@OP: Your avatar has won this days' coolness prize: a blow-up washing machine. Pick it up yourself or send 150€ (Sorry, no USD) to get it sent to you by mail order.

Edit: But it's true that many people just hate for the sake of coolness. These days it's considered cool to hate popular things, so they do.

Edit#2: The quote is from Friedrich Nietzsche's "Beyond Good & Evil" :p
No I do not in fact think all people who don't like Halo are assholes. In fact I am actually friends with a couple, I respect their choices in games and don't discriminate. However when a person makes a thread about how much a certain game sucks, he is clearly doing it to annoy people and therefore I think I am in my right to call him a prick. Let me tell you, I'd say that to a Halo fanboy too if he made a thread that said Half Life sucked beyond all reason for no better cause then just 'I think it sucks'. It's not so much about them hating on Halo that annoys me so much as it is them simply doing this for the sake of annoying people.
y'know?

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Vrex360 said:
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
Im sorry but everything Yahtzee said about halo3 was...true.
I played all 3 halo games (so that might make me an ex-fanboy?)
and every single halo game can be finished in 3hours, less if you have a friend with co-op.

and of corse to that comment you'll reply "but the muti-player"
No...stop right there. remember goldeneye back in 1999, remeber how great the main game was,
how long it was...AND it had a great mutiplayer?
exactly, halo fails at single player where other (older or newer) games laugh at it.
and dont give me "but theres vehicles" mutiplayer sucks when it goes like this
Find tank, Get in tank, fire, win.

and as Yathzee said "halo is niot bad...its just run of the mill"

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Gladion said:
Vrex360 said:
I could do another passionate argument about why these Halo haters are pretentious bullshit cocks... but I've been saying that so much, I feel weary.
Then just stop saying it, because I have valid reasons (that I don't need to explain) to not like Halo. Pretending everyone who doesn't enjoy your favourite game is an asshole with no right to having an own opinion is pretty narrow-minded.

I'd say it's because it gets so much praise while at the same time not giving many people the experience even more people seem to get from it.

While I personally preferred Half-Life to Halo any time all those Valve-fanboys are starting to annoy me extremely hard and ruin the game for me. Pretending it's all the sophisticated 1337 shit, masterfully written, perfectly executed, 100/100 etc. etc. while it's nothing more (and nothing less) than a very well done shooter that offers a quite nice experience. Whenever I turn on the game I feel like being part of those elitist and turn it off right again. Thanks, guys.

@OP: Your avatar has won this days' coolness prize: a blow-up washing machine. Pick it up yourself or send 150? (Sorry, no USD) to get it sent to you by mail order.

Edit: But it's true that many people just hate for the sake of coolness. These days it's considered cool to hate popular things, so they do.

Edit#2: The quote is from Friedrich Nietzsche's "Beyond Good & Evil" :p
No I do not in fact think all people who don't like Halo are assholes. In fact I am actually friends with a couple, I respect their choices in games and don't discriminate. However when a person makes a thread about how much a certain game sucks, he is clearly doing it to annoy people and therefore I think I am in my right to call him a prick. Let me tell you, I'd say that to a Halo fanboy too if he made a thread that said Half Life sucked beyond all reason for no better cause then just 'I think it sucks'. It's not so much about them hating on Halo that annoys me so much as it is them simply doing this for the sake of annoying people.
y'know?
Yeah i agree. At some point alot of gamers believe it's their duty to convince other people that a game they like is not really a game they like. Though admitably one game i'm always shocked to see with high scores is Gears of War because i personally didn't enjoy it that much, but really if others enjoyed it as a 10/10 experience then good on them. So therefore my dissapointment was because of the difference between my experience and another players experience, so why would that make their's wrong. And me going around telling people it sucks isn't going to change their mind anyway, in fact it will probably strengthen their perceptions.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The key is to separate the Fanboys from the Fans. I'm a big fan of Halo but it for no means deserves perfects. Yahtzee was right when he reviewed the campaign mode and called it mediocre because it is compared to the other two.

But I believe it to be way above average when you take Forge, Theatre, Matchmaking, and Custom games into account. Another big reason it gets hate is because people hate the fan base more than the actual game. Halo has unfortunately gotten the reputation as the online game full of 10 year olds that have high voices and are slaves to trends. But those idiots are on every majorly popular online game like Gears or CoD.

All in all I conclude with this

Halo = Great

Campaign (for 3) = meh.

May 27, 2009
Reasons why I don't like Halo 3

1. It's one of the laggiest games I've played.
2.It's an average game that doesn't all the attention it's getting and it's pushing all the other good games out of the spotlight.
3.In nearly every match there's at least one person with a microphone either swearing, being racist or making retarded noises.
4.In half the matches there will be someone team killing every five seconds.
5.Games with class systems(like Call of Duty) are preferable because most of the time within five seconds all the good guns are taken.
6.And many more.

However I do not completely hate Halo, I think that being able to have more than one person playing on live on the same Xbox at one time is a very good idea which I think some other games should pick up on.

Feb 14, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
People get annoyed that a game they didn't like is so popular. Some people can't stand to see other people who have different opinions to theirs, so they have to fight about it; the more popular the game, the more people disagree with them, so the more enraged they get whenever it's mentioned.

I say this in every anti-(GAME) thread, but I'll keep saying it because so few people seem to have learned the lesson: if other people like a game that you don't like, that doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant or part of a cult. It means the game was better suited to their tastes than it was to yours. Your opinions are not facts. Even if you think they're indisputable, they're not.

Vrex360 said:
4. The hypocritical and annoying Valve fanboys
Careful. You're crossing a line there. "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
I think he means:
{Valve fanboys}[sub] annoying[sub] hypocites[/sub][/sub]

not:
Valve fanboys = hypocritical + annoying

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
Are we really going over this again guys? Really? ... Guys?

I thought we all agreed last time that Halo is made of unicorns and people wear hats instead of using umbrellas when surfing on tennis rackets. It can't be purple if it isn't blue or red. Why are we all talking with letters instead of numbers? Can't we all just get a move on, pardner? Yeehaw, there's lemons in them gold! In conclusion, Halo gabba blabba nikkity woo woo chumba dong pimpmobile.

I rest my canister.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
'Cuase Halo has the most undeserved prise ever, while it's just your simple FPS, with a story so flat, you might just forget bout it. It's a simple "Aliens sucks! Humans ruke" crap.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
joobnook47 said:
Don't bother replying to Vrex360, he's just a mindless and hopeless Halo fanboy. He replies to every Halo hate thread and posts.
Unlike you, then?

Hell, I think every post you've ever made here has been in a Halo orientated thread.

Plus ignoring someone's opinion because you consider them beneath you is foolish.

DaBozz said:
No...stop right there. remember goldeneye back in 1999, remeber how great the main game was,
exactly, halo fails at single player where other (older or newer) games laugh at it.

Firstly, I'd like to remind you that Halo 3 at least has the most balanced vehicles in any game I've ever played. For a start, all it takes is one guy on foot to reach you and he can hi-jack you.
Secondly, why do people put emphasis on a certain part of a game based on their preference? You don't look at Team Fortress and Unreal Tournament and say 'feh, the single player is crap'. At least I hope you don't...

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Psychosocial said:
joobnook47 said:
DaBozz said:
Vrex360 said:
2. The people who take Yahtzee's every word as truth
Im sorry but everything Yahtzee said about halo3 was...true.
I played all 3 halo games (so that might make me an ex-fanboy?)
and every single halo game can be finished in 3hours, less if you have a friend with co-op.

This!

Yahtzee is 100% dead on about Halo 3's single player. Its average and run of the mill.

Halo has always been good in the multiplayer and never with single player. Its NO where as good as Half-Life. Like I said before, don't bother talking with that Halo fanboy Vrex.
I'm honestly getting really fed up with your non called for bashing of Vrex, all you do is tell people not to even fucking talk to him because he likes Halo.

You know what a discussion is about, right? No, you probably don't.

It's when two or more people with different opinions discuss it and try to come up with a common opinion or convince the other one that he's right. You get it now?

Just because his opinion differs from yours, he doesn't have to be a fanboy.

If you still don't get it, I'd say you're the person people should avoid, you troll.
I second that, leave Vrex alone. Since when are people not allowed to say they like a game just because you don't agree.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
People bash it because it's an easy target to attack, what with idiots like joobnook jumping on the bandwagon. The truth it that you can't say it didn't deserve perfect scores, because those scores were somebody else's opinion. Just because they like something different, it doesn't mean they were bribed, it means they are of a differing opinion.

agent001

Mar 21, 2009
I actually dislike it because I find it boring and a tragedy that all other shooters have to rip it or the equally boring Gears of War off now because that's how you sell video games. Regardless, it's all an opinion. It'd be nice if everyone else thought Final Fantasy 3 (6), God of War, and Bioshock were the best games of all time, but they don't because we all have different opinions.

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
DaBozz said:

Firstly, I'd like to remind you that Halo 3 at least has the most balanced vehicles in any game I've ever played. For a start, all it takes is one guy on foot to reach you and he can hi-jack you.
Secondly, why do people put emphasis on a certain part of a game based on their preference? You don't look at Team Fortress and Unreal Tournament and say 'feh, the single player is crap'. At least I hope you don't...[/quote]

1 guy on foot gets run over by a vehicle...
shall I go into how the banshe can FLY, highjack that then =_=

A game without a long single player is only half a game.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
joobnook47 said:
See, a lot of other people agree too. It deserves the hate because its one of the most undeserved praised games ever! Plus, the game is too popular.
No game deserves hate, and again this is all just your own personal opinion. "Waaa! They gave a game I don't like a high score! Waaa, bribery!"

It's haters like you that give the fans their determination and passion.

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
DaBozz said:
DaBozz said:

Secondly, why do people put emphasis on a certain part of a game based on their preference? You don't look at Team Fortress and Unreal Tournament and say 'feh, the single player is crap'. At least I hope you don't...
1 guy on foot gets run over by a vehicle...
shall I go into how the banshe can FLY, highjack that then =_=

A game without a long single player is only half a game.