Why the hate towards retake mass effect? All I see is hate.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
It's been nearly a month now, I really think it's time for people to get over it and move on.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Z of the Na said:
It's been nearly a month now, I really think it's time for people to get over it and move on.
I agree. If you're disappointed in BioWare, just stop buying their products until they shape up.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
i feel very out of place for not being a mass effect fan, all gaming news is about it. i'd rather talk about legend of korra

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
TheFederation said:
i feel very out of place for not being a mass effect fan, all gaming news is about it. i'd rather talk about legend of korra
The new topic thread is always available to you. Start a Legend of Korra discussion.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
FalloutJack said:
Oh, so more of the same, then? I see. Well, since my girlfriend was fucking ecstatic about it, I'm going to just say that other people should reconsider their thinking. Mostly because RUINED FOREVER people are ridiculous.
Well, y'know. I knew a girl in university who thought "The Macarena" was an awesome fun song. Doesn't mean it was. Our individual, anecdotal reactions to things don't amount to much, and no one needs to 'reconsider their thinking' on issues of art appreciation so it's more like yours.
Okay, I will grant you that. The thoughts of one person whom I value are not the be-all-to-end-all in life and other people, but it is an open-mindedness to a degree, rather than the usual torches and pitchforks routine.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
That game you liked had a disappointing ending. A lot of narratives turn out that way.

Quit pitching a big hissy fit over the whole thing. It had a bad ending, get over it.
It's not about ending being bad. Stop being a closed-minded ignorant who read about the whole thing in one panel of Penny Arcade and thinks we are angry because bad things happen.

It's about lies from developers, inconsistencies, plotholes, breaking the lore and characters to accommodate a last-minute ending.

Lots of series have had sad endings. Persona 3 made me feel sad for few days after it ended, but in a good way.

Mass Effect 3 made me feel like a fucking sucker who got tricked into "16 different endings, your choices matter, there won't be ABC endings you just pick at the end!" and paid $60 for incomplete, rushed or underdeveloped product.
Xangba said:
Because I don't think gamers need a higher sense of entitlement. When I saw the thread "What should we retake next?" show up I wanted to kill something. I'm not too happy about the ending, but god damn it didn't invalid the other 130 hours I spent on that Shepard over all three games, and that's not counting my other files. Also as mentioned "Retake" makes it sound as if it was ours. No, we didn't make it, it isn't ours. The cupcake thing? Pure childish. The only good came out of the donation, which apparently some idiots believed was toward changing the ending instead of charity. That says a lot.
Would an expanded ending be welcome? Yes, preferably along the lines of the indoctrination theory.
Do we need to give gamers the idea that they are allowed to change whatever they don't like? Hell. No.
I know, right, next thing you know, they'll be changing BOOKS!

What's that, Sherlock? You... died? And fans made Conan Doyle change the story? Oh, right, forgot.

Shut up.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
In my perspective, its because the vocal minority has a "You're with us or against us, no middle ground." mentality, which upsets some people.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Slash Joel said:
Yes they could have thought of a better name for the movement, but why the hate?
Well, the name is pretty strange. It sounds as if the fans are claiming they owned the Mass Effect franchise and Bioware stole it from them. (If it's meant to be a joke, the fans are being awfully serious about it.)

But I think people are mostly just fed up with the sheer amount of ME3 venom plastered over gaming sites like this one. To those of us who don't play the games, this whole deal with the ending just doesn't seem important enough to warrant so much whining.

It's not that I don't understand. I felt like I'd been completely betrayed when I walked out of the cinema after watching X-men: Last Stand. I really enjoyed the first two films, but the third one was so terrible that it almost felt like it had been done on purpose just to spite me. So I ranted about it to a couple of friends (who mostly gave me the "I'm-not-really-listening" smile), then I moved on with my life.

Life is full of disappointments. But people who didn't share in those disappointments rarely want to hear about them.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
Somonah said:
i really wish a game that gave a giant fuck you to fanboys would come out already. Sick of everything i read gaming related being about Mass Effect.

That said, if BioWare does redo the ending to ME3, i hope they do it in the Neon Genesis Evangelion way. Story behind that is, people were really unhappy about the way neon Genesis Evangelion ended. To the point of sending death threats to it's creaters. So what did they do? They made 'End of Evangelion' Everything the fans asked for, but in the most fucked up anime people had seen. It was basicly a giant 'fuck you' to all the rabid fanboys apparently.
Oh yes :D That would be nice. I just want that they keep original ending and add new ending that you can choose in options or when starting game.

If they add new ending, and it's not a giant 'fuck you' I will be disappointed.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's not charity. At least not the charity that deserves a significant amount of respect. It uses charity money as manipulation, to benefit their own personal agenda.

And don't get me wrong, charity money is always a good thing in itself, but Retake Mass Effect is manipulative and for the most part not with charitable intentions. There are always exceptions.

Also the name, but people have already said enough about that.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
That game you liked had a disappointing ending. A lot of narratives turn out that way.

Quit pitching a big hissy fit over the whole thing. It had a bad ending, get over it.
My opinion exactly. I mean come on, no ending is just so horribly awful that IT NEEDZ 2 B CHANG3D RITE NAOW

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Hate probably stems from all the fans of other properties such as Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica that didn't have the power to demand a rewrite to the sh*t the producers did to to their own beloved universes.

Jealousy, plain and simple. ME3 fans have the mightiest neckbeards and the loudest outcries and the others can only look on in impotence.

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
I don't hate the retake movement, but I think it's ridiculously optimistic to get Bioware to change the endings. Also, people who sent Bioware cupcakes, who also reacted angrily when Bioware gave the cupcakes to charity, don't really make the cause look good.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Abedeus said:
Bhaalspawn said:

It's not about ending being bad. Stop being a closed-minded ignorant who read about the whole thing in one panel of Penny Arcade and thinks we are angry because bad things happen.

It's about lies from developers, inconsistencies, plotholes, breaking the lore and characters to accommodate a last-minute ending.

Lots of series have had sad endings. Persona 3 made me feel sad for few days after it ended, but in a good way.

Mass Effect 3 made me feel like a fucking sucker who got tricked into "16 different endings, your choices matter, there won't be ABC endings you just pick at the end!" and paid $60 for incomplete, rushed or underdeveloped product.
Xangba said:
Because I don't think gamers need a higher sense of entitlement. When I saw the thread "What should we retake next?" show up I wanted to kill something. I'm not too happy about the ending, but god damn it didn't invalid the other 130 hours I spent on that Shepard over all three games, and that's not counting my other files. Also as mentioned "Retake" makes it sound as if it was ours. No, we didn't make it, it isn't ours. The cupcake thing? Pure childish. The only good came out of the donation, which apparently some idiots believed was toward changing the ending instead of charity. That says a lot.
Would an expanded ending be welcome? Yes, preferably along the lines of the indoctrination theory.
Do we need to give gamers the idea that they are allowed to change whatever they don't like? Hell. No.
I know, right, next thing you know, they'll be changing BOOKS!

What's that, Sherlock? You... died? And fans made Conan Doyle change the story? Oh, right, forgot.

Shut up.
Such a good argument right there. Insulting everyone who disagrees with you works wonders for your image. And how does a bad ending completely invalidate what I'm sure was an excellent experience playing the rest of the game?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
370999 said:
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:
They didn't do themselves any favours with that name.

However, at this point I suspect a lot of the "hate" stems from people being just plain sick of hearing about the whole thing.
"Retake Mass Effect" is poking fun at "Retake Earth". How are people still missing that?! It's a joke!
In fairness, if you were new to this whole thing, the name does sound silly. A bit of research explains it but of course, that's too much for some people. I think part of the reason why it was picked is the Retake crowd thought it was a cool name that fans would get. They didn't realize how much outside scrutiny would be placed on them.
If people care enough to comment on the situation, you would think they would care enough to do a little research. Maybe not everybody, but at least the journalists/critics like Moviebob and Jim Sterling (although Jim actually did research and then changed his mind a bit.)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Slash Joel said:
Yes they could have thought of a better name for the movement, but why the hate? Authors and directors change the ending to there books or movies all the time after fans give them feedback. Movies are test screened all the time and reshot depending on the feedback and Charles Dickens changed his books after feedback from friends. Art changes all the time and it is never veiwed as comprising it.
Be that as it may, that doesn't give these "Retake Mass Effect" guys the right to demand that Bioware change the ending. Or indeed the audience of any work of art of media the right to demand the artist/author/creator/what-have-you change it to suit them. They can make suggestions and provide constructive criticism, but what the creator chooses to do with that feedback is up to them. If the creator chooses to completely disregard your feedback then there's nothing you can do about it and throwing a temper tantrum is certainly not going to convince them to want to listen to you.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
hulksmashley said:
Woah woah waoh woah woah woah.

Hold up.

This guy says that the indoctrination theory has been confirmed!?! (2:05)

WHEN!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It hasn't been. Official statements by Bioware tend to point the other way, actually. By all appearances what he's referring to are the Final Hours documents, which stated that a segment where the player would lose control of Shepherd due to indoctrination was scripted but had to be cut due to issues with the gameplay mechanics. In a sense this could be said to 'confirm' the foreshadowing IT points to as evidence, but the gist behind IT (that we were given a fake ending with the real one to-be-released later) has yet to recieve any form of validation.