Why the Marvel Movies Should Ditch Peter Parker

Yakostovian

Jul 26, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Yakostovian said:
Personally, I can see Miles as the character in the MCU, but what I would prefer is that they acknowledge he isn't the first Spider-Man.

A lot of Miles' motivation comes from being in Peter's shadow. And there is a ton of social commentary that you could make from that.

Having Miles in Civil War with the added caveat that he is constantly trying to figure out what the right thing to do: according to Peter Parker.

EDIT: I think if I were making a new Spider-Man movie, the opening scene would be a battle that ends in the Death of Peter Parker.

Act 1: Flashback 6 months to the start of Miles' story, with Spider-Man in the news, and how Miles' supporting cast feel about it all. Miles gets bit early in this act, and the end of act 1 is the same as the opening scene, but from Miles' perspective instead.

ACTS 2-3 are whatever hijinks you can throw at the kid.
Problem with setting it up with him being the 2nd Spiderman in the MCU. Doing so would make a very large plot hole of "Ok, so where was the 1st Spidey in all this stuff? Why didn't he help out in the Battle of New York?" Because you know he would've. There was no mention of him at all in the current MCU canon, so sticking Miles in and saying "Oh yeah, and he's the 2nd Spidey" will just make things very muddled and confusing for people.
It's not that big of a stretch to say that Pete was busy in another part of New York. They could flashback to the Avengers and say that the Chitauri invasion is where Pete bit the bullet, but over in Queens.

And there is plenty of reason to not mention Spider-Man before now. There is still no mention of a plethora of New York based supers, or Black Panther, and Dr Strange was just mentioned for the first time in Winter Soldier.

It's not that hard to handwave with some decent writing and a willing suspension of disbelief; and if the latter is a problem for audiences, then they need to not watch super-hero movies ever.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I support a black Peter Parker.

I love Miles Morales as an idea but...uh...does he have a personality?

What I've read?

It's mostly, "I must honor Spiderman!"

Peter parker is the most successful superhero save Superman and Batman for a reason.

His race doesn't matter.

A black Peter Parker would be awesome.

Miles? By contrast, is still just Superboy at best.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Peter Parker IS Spider-Man. Just like Bruce Wayne is Batman or Clark Kent is Superman. That's just part of the mythology.

And before any one slams the racist card on me, I am a "Person of Color" who's all for more diversity in comic books. But in this situation, Miles Morales is more of a gimmick that only serves to force diversity down our throats.

But the appeal of Peter Parker transcends race. Because in the comics, Parker's one of us. Stan Lee made a very conscious decision to make him a geeky teen science nerd because he knew his audience.

As a socially awkward Indian kid growing up in the 'burbs, I found Spider-Man to be the most relatable super-hero. He wasn't a "one percenter" billionaire or an alien from a dead world. He was a kid like me who had to deal with homework, bullies and hot girls who wouldn't give him the time of day. It didn't matter what race he was. Because he had the same problems as me. Oh yeah...but he was also a super hero crime fighter who saved New York countless times.

You don't need to shove an ethnic kid into the Spider pajamas to make the hero interesting. Just do a proper update to Peter Parker. Show him as the awkward science nerd with the so-so love life by day who becomes sarcastic crime fighter by night. Those are the qualities that make Spider-Man/Peter Parker interesting.

TL/DR; Peter Parker IS Spider-Man because that's the mythology. Miles Morales seems more like a gimmick designed to force diversity. Instead, bring back the geeky science nerd/awkward teen qualities that make Parker interesting and relatable.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zen Bard said:
Peter Parker IS Spider-Man. Just like Bruce Wayne is Batman or Clark Kent is Superman. That's just part of the mythology.
Exactly. It isn't that Morales doesn't or can't bring anything to the table. It's just that he's not spider-man anymore than the various non-superman characters that sprang up when Superman died are. Morales will need to have another name or will always be referred to as the black spider-man in the same way my favorite John Stewart is the black Green Lantern.

I don't know what Marvel is going on about by trying to murky the waters here with Thorina and whatnot. They need to stop appropriating the names and start elevating existing badass characters (like the Falcon, holy crap do I love that character) or create new ones that are worthy of depiction. Making them mooch off of the lore of an existing character just feels underhanded or dirty. Like they aren't worthy of their own go at it. I wouldn't want to see morales relegated to the likes of spider-boy. But it'd be nice to give him a legit title and his own gimmick to have a go at success.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
First off, we have never had a well played peter parker or spiderman. One of the central draws to the character is his sense of humor, his witty remarks during battles etc. Those did not exist pretty much at all during the Tobey films, and while they tossed a few in for the more recent ones, it wasn't enough, and the character over all didn't work.

They need a real peter parker, who has a sense of humor and is constantly using it. I'm fine with other versions of spiderman (girl) etc, and in fact if they go the clone route, we may see a bunch of them eventually, but, for now, we need to have the REAL peter parker please stand up.

I realize part of it has to do with the time table of the various films, when your doing origin stories etc, there isn't much room for laughs (at least when they involve uncle ben getting killed, power and responsibility etc). The problem is the fun aspects of spidey have been left out almost completely.

So no, don't "move on" till we get the original spidey right please. Seriously, how hard is it to read the comics and see all the jokes he makes, then add a few similar ones into the movies? I don't think there are many spidey comics that don't have at least a few jokes, witty comments etc, yet we go through entire movies without even one?

Spiderman is so many peoples favorite hero for a reason, it's certainly not his powers, it's his personality, humor and the way he deals with things. That should shine in the movies, more so even then the comics, but it never has.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
K12 said:
...And the Spiderman they've already seen played by two different actors in 5 movies (more than half of which were lackluster at best) in only slightly more than a decade. So either they get another slightly different version of that same guy or they get a different version of Spiderman.

How many people go to a Spiderman movie desperate for Peter Parker rather than for Spiderman, seriously?

I don't think that surprising the audience is an automatic negative. I think it's reasonable that the number of people put off by yet another Peter Parker Spiderman film will be higher than the number of people put off by an unfamiliar Spiderman.
As someone who doesn't read comic books and only know these characters from the films I guess I'm the audience your referring to.

I found the reboot annoying and didn't bother watching either until a friend showed me ASM 1 he had on bluray, I must say I preferred the previous Parker. ASM just felt like a 'dark and dirty' reboot, something I'm sick of seeing in movies. Making things depressing and negative does not show maturity, it's boring. Games are suffering this issue another too.

That said I would prefer another Parker reboot to this other person, to us non comic book audience Spider Man IS Peter Parker, switching that may as well call it something else. It would be like turning Batman from Bruce Wayne into John Smith, confusing and stupid.

Edit: stupid auto correct.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Lymond said:
"...adding a multi-racial Spider-Man would be a much bigger move to promote MCU diversity than anything else that's been announced so far."

I'm left asking, "so what?"

This kind of article suffers from a particularly annoying brand of US-centric social activism. Spider-Man does not belong to the United States alone: audiences in South America, Europe and elsewhere have been watching the cartoons, movies and comics for decades. The concept of black/latino minorities is foreign to a large proportion of the worldwide audience that is going to watch this film, myself among them. Spider-Man should not be a vehicle to promote your particular brand of nationalistic diversity agenda. Just give us what makes for the most compelling character story. That's something that everyone can appreciate.
I think you win the internet for this post. someone actually gets it

K12

Dec 28, 2012
RicoADF said:
K12 said:
...And the Spiderman they've already seen played by two different actors in 5 movies (more than half of which were lackluster at best) in only slightly more than a decade. So either they get another slightly different version of that same guy or they get a different version of Spiderman.

How many people go to a Spiderman movie desperate for Peter Parker rather than for Spiderman, seriously?

I don't think that surprising the audience is an automatic negative. I think it's reasonable that the number of people put off by yet another Peter Parker Spiderman film will be higher than the number of people put off by an unfamiliar Spiderman.
As someone who doesn't read comic books and only know these characters from the books I guess I'm the audience your referring to.

I found the reboot annoying and didn't bother watching either until a friend showed me ASM 1 he had on bluray, I must say I preferred the previous Parker. ASM just felt like a 'dark and dirty' reboot, something I'm sick of seeing in movies. Making things depressing and negative does not show maturity, it's boring. Games are suffering this issue another too.

That said I would prefer another Parker reboot to this other person, to us non comic book audience Spider Man IS Peter Parker, switching that may as well call it something else. It would be like turning Batman from Bruce Wayne into John Smith, confusing and stupid.
Honestly, I know full well that Marvel won't do this straight away for the very obvious reason that a Miles Morales Spiderman would have to come after a Peter Parker Spiderman unless they completely screwed around with the comic book based stories (and Marvel has tended not the do that on the whole). Doing Miles Morales first would probably mean (yet another!) reboot before they could do Peter Parker stories. I do really hope that this happens eventually and when the contract for whichever guy they choose to play Peter Parker runs out it'd be a better option than simply recasting.

My main gripe is with the idea that mainstream audiences wouldn't accept a different person as Spiderman. I don't think comparing Peter Parker to Bruce Wayne works very well either for a lot of reasons. Bruce Wayne is Batman in a much deeper way than Peter Parker is Spiderman. When he's Spiderman he's a completely different kind of person whereas Bruce Wayne continues to be act more or less like himself when he's wearing his costume.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
K12 said:
My main gripe is with the idea that mainstream audiences wouldn't accept a different person as Spiderman. I don't think comparing Peter Parker to Bruce Wayne works very well either for a lot of reasons. Bruce Wayne is Batman in a much deeper way than Peter Parker is Spiderman. When he's Spiderman he's a completely different kind of person whereas Bruce Wayne continues to be act more or less like himself when he's wearing his costume.
Maybe the comics give you a different view on the matter, but to those of us who only watch the movies Peter Parker is Spiderman, he was the one bitten and the character we think of when you say Spiderman's name. Just like Batman.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Lightknight said:
This would be equivalent of saying that DC should drop Clark Kent in favor of John Henry Irons.
Not especially equivalent, of course, since no one ever called John Henry Irons Superman, whereas Miles Morales has been Spider-Man for four years.

Charles Phipps said:
I love Miles Morales as an idea but...uh...does he have a personality? From what I've read, it's mostly, "I must honor Spider-Man!"
Uh...what have you read?

J.j. Cintia

Oct 3, 2014
Is this even a business anymore? If they have a black/hispanic guy as Spider Man they're going to make less than three cents in places like China. The whole we need to get rid of the White guys meme is just offensive to begin with, but I assure you these diverse characters are going to chase people away from theaters overseas. People in India don't give a rat's ass about minorities in America that have big screen TVs and weigh three hundred pounds who claim they're poor and oppressed. This is just STUPID!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Frankly, I still like Peter Parker. Also, as he's my favorite alter ego, just barely edging out Tony Stark, if they did this I would feel very let down.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
J.j. Cintia said:
Is this even a business anymore? If they have a black/Hispanic guy as Spider-Man they're going to make less than three cents in places like China.
China only allows like twelve American movies per year to be showed in its theaters. Would you know off the top of your head if any of those movies are Marvel movies?

J.j. Cintia said:
People in India don't give a rat's ass about minorities in America that have big screen TVs and weigh three hundred pounds who claim they're poor and oppressed.
What? Which people are doing that? Is this in any way tied to the topic at hand, or are you going off on a tangent you already have a beef about?

Rakschas

Jan 7, 2013
I suggest people who are interested in the reprentation of non straight- white-male protagonists in comics and movie adaptations start putting THEIR money where their mouth is instead of arguing for mandaroty quotas inforced by public shameing and self censorship.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Rakschas said:
I suggest people who are interested in the reprentation of non straight- white-male protagonists in comics and movie adaptations start putting their money where their mouth is.
I don't understand what this means. How am I to put my money where my mouth is? Am I to pay to go see a Miles Morales movie? Okay, I'm happy to do that, but they kind of have to make the movie first, you know?

Rakschas said:
Arguing for mandatory quotas enforced by public shaming and self censorship.
That is not happening. Please regulate your outrage, or at least limit it to events that are occurring.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Rakschas said:
I suggest people who are interested in the reprentation of non straight- white-male protagonists in comics and movie adaptations start putting THEIR money where their mouth is instead of arguing for mandaroty quotas inforced by public shameing and self censorship.
The only way to do this would be to only pay to see pandering inclusive content catered directly at your tastes. However, it is not like the rest of the world is not going to go see a marvel Peter Parker movie, I for one have been waiting for a real one for ages. The majority will not care if he is another white guy, I certainly don't.

As other people have stated in this thread, a very large portion of this films audience will have no concern whatsoever for american minority representation. You do not see me on here arguing for a Filipino spiderman, flips are the largest minority in my region.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Potential solution: keep Peter Parker, hire a non-White actor.
After all, race isn't an issue right?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't expect this to go over that well, but I'll point out a few things.

First, to get the obvious out of the way, ethnicity swapping characters is dumb. If you want to have a more diverse roster of characters, why not simply use of the many minority characters already present in the comics? Like it or not, Spider Man is Peter Parker, having someone else be Spider Man for a few minutes is an old gimmick (done with a lot of characters) but the whole point is it's NOT Spider Man and it works because the status quo is restored. Spider Man and his identity are pretty iconic right up there with Clark Kent being Superman. Really the only real reason to use Miles seems to be to make liberals happy by replacing an established character, and of course generate hype from the controversy.

See, from my perspective if your going to bring out "obscure" characters to begin with why not say do "Cloak and Dagger" a couple of characters with a decent cult following and who have endured for a long time now. Cloak is black, has a unique power set, and does the heavy lifting (ie most of the cool stuff) of that particular duo. The thing is that Marvel has a pretty diverse roster of characters, and is hardly a "white washed" roster even before political correctness set in. If you want diversity in the movies, why not use any one of the legions of awesome minority heroes out there and give them a chance? Ethnicity swapping is lazy and seems to be intended to bait controversy and play to particular political sentiments. What's more as long as that kind of garbage is going on it reduces my chances of ever getting to see a decent "Cloak and Dagger" movie.

Second, let's be blunt... Milo is hated by pretty much everyone. That's a controversial statement, so I will explain. A recurring joke in a lot of comic communities is that Milo has the most successful comic that nobody ever reads. The reason why that's "funny but true" is because of people who buy it up specifically to get the run as part of their Spider Man set in hopes that it will be worth something some day, in the sense of being there 20 years later and saying "hey I've got the whole run of that black spider man they did". In terms of critical reception in a hardcore Marvel nerd community like the game "Marvel Heroes: 2015" where people will drop $10-$15 on an enhanced skin (different voice and animations as well as a simple skin change) to represent a very different version of a character, the idea that there is going to be a Milo Morales skin "any day now" is a recurring joke, you won't see one because nobody will buy it, even "Spider Gwen" which is a 15 second gimmick concept if there ever was one is getting an enhanced skin and it was even being promoted for pre-order. Really the only time you hear anything NICE said about Milo is in an article like this where the point revolves around him not being white and what a great thing diversification is, part of that is that at the end of the day he's nothing special other than an ethnicity swap. Basically, he's a purely political phenomena, something I expect to hear about for that reason for a long time, but not anything that is likely to have serious comic fans, rallying to see more of. If Milo was a good character it might be different, but that's half the problem, he's one of the many, many, dumb things "The Ultimate Universe" is known for, but one that seems to have struck a political chord with some people. In comparison take say "Superior Spider Man" which was Doc Ock as Spider Man, he was very divisive in terms of people liking that idea or hating it, but it was a different enough take on things that it stood out for a while. Milo in comparison winds up doing much the same thing as Spider Man for the same reasons, except now he's a minority.

Also I'd point out that a lot of the other changes people are talking about aren't what they are being promoted as. For example the whole "Thor is a girl, it's actually Thor, not some clone or someone hero worshipping him" is nothing really new. It's been downplayed in comics recently but something people tend to forget is that Thor is pretty much a possessing entity backed by some reality warping logic that can arguably cause Asgard to conform to him to an extent. Thor is actually the entity Thor living inside a man called Donald Blake who happened to find the hammer. Classically Donald would wander around as a cripple with the hammer disguised as his cane, and then tap it on the ground to become Thor. As time went on though they started to get away from the whole "secret identity" bit and him sharing space with the mortal who found the hammer, although every once in a while it would come up, for example in "The Infinity Gauntlet" some might remember a bit where Thanos disarms Thor and causes him to revert to a mere mortal, sending him drifting through space without the hammer, where he starts to die, however he gets his hands back on it and changes back into Thor and then re-enters the doomed battle. Rebooting the universe is a good time to re-introduce this forgotten aspect of the character, through which it is indeed possible that Thor could be a girl, if one who was worthy picked up the hammer, his appearance would become a hybrid of his and hers. One of the more extreme cases of this was when I remember a Frog briefly wielding the hammer as Throg (as a joke) but that was a long time ago and I'm fuzzy on the details. Thor has had a few different bodies over the years, and to be honest I don't think they will keep the concept as a dude and a dudette sharing space permanently. To me that one struck me as a stunt intended to get the goat of people who just don't know the character very well, such as people who only know the character via the movies without ever having read the comics and probably couldn't tell you who Donald Blake was to save their life.

That said, at the end of the day I don't know many serious comic fans who would like to see Milo get a movie or a permanent role in the comics if this reboot happens as people expect, compared to say some of the cooler minority heroes being given a shot. I also anticipate that Marvel knows that if a video game company doesn't even see a market for a milo skin (who knows, maybe one day) it's not going to be putting that much of an investment into the character.

Yakostovian

Jul 26, 2010
Therumancer said:
I don't expect this to go over that well, but I'll point out a few things.

First, to get the obvious out of the way, ethnicity swapping characters is dumb. If you want to have a more diverse roster of characters, why not simply use of the many minority characters already present in the comics? Like it or not, Spider Man is Peter Parker, having someone else be Spider Man for a few minutes is an old gimmick (done with a lot of characters) but the whole point is it's NOT Spider Man and it works because the status quo is restored. Spider Man and his identity are pretty iconic right up there with Clark Kent being Superman. Really the only real reason to use Miles seems to be to make liberals happy by replacing an established character, and of course generate hype from the controversy.

See, from my perspective if your going to bring out "obscure" characters to begin with why not say do "Cloak and Dagger" a couple of characters with a decent cult following and who have endured for a long time now. Cloak is black, has a unique power set, and does the heavy lifting (ie most of the cool stuff) of that particular duo. The thing is that Marvel has a pretty diverse roster of characters, and is hardly a "white washed" roster even before political correctness set in. If you want diversity in the movies, why not use any one of the legions of awesome minority heroes out there and give them a chance? Ethnicity swapping is lazy and seems to be intended to bait controversy and play to particular political sentiments. What's more as long as that kind of garbage is going on it reduces my chances of ever getting to see a decent "Cloak and Dagger" movie.

Second, let's be blunt... Milo is hated by pretty much everyone. That's a controversial statement, so I will explain. A recurring joke in a lot of comic communities is that Milo has the most successful comic that nobody ever reads. The reason why that's "funny but true" is because of people who buy it up specifically to get the run as part of their Spider Man set in hopes that it will be worth something some day, in the sense of being there 20 years later and saying "hey I've got the whole run of that black spider man they did". In terms of critical reception in a hardcore Marvel nerd community like the game "Marvel Heroes: 2015" where people will drop $10-$15 on an enhanced skin (different voice and animations as well as a simple skin change) to represent a very different version of a character, the idea that there is going to be a Milo Morales skin "any day now" is a recurring joke, you won't see one because nobody will buy it, even "Spider Gwen" which is a 15 second gimmick concept if there ever was one is getting an enhanced skin and it was even being promoted for pre-order. Really the only time you hear anything NICE said about Milo is in an article like this where the point revolves around him not being white and what a great thing diversification is, part of that is that at the end of the day he's nothing special other than an ethnicity swap. Basically, he's a purely political phenomena, something I expect to hear about for that reason for a long time, but not anything that is likely to have serious comic fans, rallying to see more of. If Milo was a good character it might be different, but that's half the problem, he's one of the many, many, dumb things "The Ultimate Universe" is known for, but one that seems to have struck a political chord with some people. In comparison take say "Superior Spider Man" which was Doc Ock as Spider Man, he was very divisive in terms of people liking that idea or hating it, but it was a different enough take on things that it stood out for a while. Milo in comparison winds up doing much the same thing as Spider Man for the same reasons, except now he's a minority.

Also I'd point out that a lot of the other changes people are talking about aren't what they are being promoted as. For example the whole "Thor is a girl, it's actually Thor, not some clone or someone hero worshipping him" is nothing really new. It's been downplayed in comics recently but something people tend to forget is that Thor is pretty much a possessing entity backed by some reality warping logic that can arguably cause Asgard to conform to him to an extent. Thor is actually the entity Thor living inside a man called Donald Blake who happened to find the hammer. Classically Donald would wander around as a cripple with the hammer disguised as his cane, and then tap it on the ground to become Thor. As time went on though they started to get away from the whole "secret identity" bit and him sharing space with the mortal who found the hammer, although every once in a while it would come up, for example in "The Infinity Gauntlet" some might remember a bit where Thanos disarms Thor and causes him to revert to a mere mortal, sending him drifting through space without the hammer, where he starts to die, however he gets his hands back on it and changes back into Thor and then re-enters the doomed battle. Rebooting the universe is a good time to re-introduce this forgotten aspect of the character, through which it is indeed possible that Thor could be a girl, if one who was worthy picked up the hammer, his appearance would become a hybrid of his and hers. One of the more extreme cases of this was when I remember a Frog briefly wielding the hammer as Throg (as a joke) but that was a long time ago and I'm fuzzy on the details. Thor has had a few different bodies over the years, and to be honest I don't think they will keep the concept as a dude and a dudette sharing space permanently. To me that one struck me as a stunt intended to get the goat of people who just don't know the character very well, such as people who only know the character via the movies without ever having read the comics and probably couldn't tell you who Donald Blake was to save their life.

That said, at the end of the day I don't know many serious comic fans who would like to see Milo get a movie or a permanent role in the comics if this reboot happens as people expect, compared to say some of the cooler minority heroes being given a shot. I also anticipate that Marvel knows that if a video game company doesn't even see a market for a milo skin (who knows, maybe one day) it's not going to be putting that much of an investment into the character.
I don't know how to even start forming my dissenting opinion. Nearly everything you said looks like knee-jerk reaction by an over-protective fanboy that has a very narrow definition of what makes Spider-Man work.

In addition, why do you insist on calling Miles "Milo?" At no point has he ever been referred to as Milo (in the English version of the comics.)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yakostovian said:
[I don't know how to even start forming my dissenting opinion. Nearly everything you said looks like knee-jerk reaction by an over-protective fanboy that has a very narrow definition of what makes Spider-Man work.

In addition, why do you insist on calling Miles "Milo?" At no point has he ever been referred to as Milo (in the English version of the comics.)
Actually the thing is that Spider-Man refers to a very specific, and well known, iconic character. Spidey is perhaps Marvel's well known property and his secret identity is up there with Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. It's one thing to have someone else put on the suit for a while, but at the end of the day that's just the equivalent of a prolonged cliffhanger with the idea being that Peter, the real Spider-Man always comes back. "The Ultimate Universe" did odd things because it was separate from the main marvel continuity and was never intended to last this long anyway, it's also generally regarded as being crap. This one change certain vocal liberals love, in part because it bugs people, so it's being promoted as an exception, and really it's not.

The reason why it's difficult to put in a serious dissenting position is because I'm not wrong, as much as a lot of people want to present it as a knee-jerk reaction. Especially when you get down to the central question of why those who "like" this idea actually want to "blackwash" existing characters as opposed to giving established black characters their due. It's about a statement, not this having been some great idea.

What's more like most iconic characters, what makes Spider Man work is a pretty simple, narrow, definition, the relative simplicity is one of the reasons why it's worked so well. What's more he represents a comfort zone, a character a lot of people are familiar with, and seek out for escapism for that reason, much like Superman or Batman. Furthermore attempts to really mess with the character have been doomed to failure which is why you occasionally see alternate "failed" Spider-Man ideas fold into the comics as alternate versions very temporarily. Milo might very well remain as some occasionally seen alternate universe version up there with things like Spider-Man Noir, and Spider Man 2099, but being the actual Spider-Man in regular use and publication? Bad idea. That said I doubt he'll ever be particularly popular because other than the political statement he has nothing really going for him.

As far as calling him "Milo" I'm not 100% sure how that got started, yet if you spend a lot of time chatting with fans you'll notice it gets used as much, or more, than the actual character name.

Besides from me, it's not a "knee jerk" reaction it's actually been carefully thought out, if I thought it was a good idea I'd say so. What's more I actually do think there are minority characters being slighted by even considering this, including some I really like, such as Cloak from Cloak and Dagger who I keep mentioning. What's more from another perspective when you go outside of the Marvel Verse there are a lot of good black super heroes from other companies. If someone feels there is a lack of workable black characters from that universe (which is insane to think especially when they made Guardians Of The Galaxy into a blockbuster), it might be time to start looking at others. For example one of the biggest super heroes of all time is black, he's called "Spawn" and only received one attempt at a serious movie which was at best mediocre. Every time they blackwash someone to try and make a political statement, in my mind it's a missed opportunity to try and make a GOOD "Spawn" movie.

That said as I pointed out before, I suspect the next big black super hero is probably going to be Misty Knight, a bionic detective from Marvel who has been around on the fringes for quite a while, and did quite well in titles like "The Fearless Defenders". Namely because I expect here to play a role in this Netflix "Defenders" project and if done correctly probably be a break out, as well as bringing the whole cybernetic schtick (even if it's minor) to the table which nobody in the cinematic universe currently has, which will make her stand out a bit powers wise.