Why the PS4 Doesn't Do PS3 Games

bunnielovekins

Mar 1, 2013
Jordi said:
albino boo said:
bunnielovekins said:
I always did wonder why sony don't do their bit for the community and make a ps2 emulator so the pile of ps2 games in millions of peoples' closets doesn't gather dust. The only thing I can come up with is that there's no money in it; but we could say the same for ps1 emulation on the psp.
PS3 however, I'm not too worried about: most of the games on it worth playing are remakes, and very few are exclusives. Those that are on xbox, I'm guessing will be much easier to emulate since the xbox is powerPC, and thanks to apple (there's a phrase I don't say very often) we already have powerpc emulation of a sort. It's a start at least.
No one derives any income by writing an emulator so people can play games they have already bought. In the case of Sony they made a loss of $4 billion last year, they simply can't afford to spend time on things that won't show a profit.
It seems to me that Sony could derive a great deal of income from it. If they ship their new consoles with good emulation for previous generations, some people may consider that a killer feature. Income is derived from having more people buy the new console (and then the games) because of this.
That would be nice, but I'm willing to guess not enough difference in sales would be seen to justify the cost

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Shamus Young said:
Having said that, I can't fathom why they wouldn't emulate PlayStation 2 games.
Did they state they won't?
I don't remember a clear statement on that issue.
The ps4 has so much juice, it could most likely run a ps2 emulator so there should be no reason not to do it.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
So that's why the PS3 had all those issues. I see.

Wait... then why don't they make the PS4 back compatible with the PS2? That should be far simpler, right? I still have a metric crapton of PS2 games (including Persona 3 and 4, Xenosaga Episodes 1-3, and Silent Hill 2-4) so that would allow for the "instant library" while avoiding the PS3 pitfalls.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Shamus Young said:
Why the PS4 Doesn't Do PS3 Games

A bad decision made many years ago may haunt the PlayStation 4.

Read Full Article
So, in short, the PS4 lacks BWC because "Teh Cell" is actually pretty shit in most regards. Makes sense...
Well... not "shit" per say, it's an extremely powerful bit of tech, it was just a stupid decision to try and use it in a games console.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It's worth noting that the streaming-based backwards compatibility they're talking about is powered by Gaikai which, in my (admittedly limited) experience has lower latency and better video compression than OnLive, and I'm sure both facets of the service can and will improve with time. I wouldn't want to play a fighting game like that, but it's pretty darn tolerable for a good chunk of the PS3's library.

P.S. Thanks

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
loa said:
Shamus Young said:
Having said that, I can't fathom why they wouldn't emulate PlayStation 2 games.
Did they state they won't?
I don't remember a clear statement on that issue.
The ps4 has so much juice, it could most likely run a ps2 emulator so there should be no reason not to do it.
They won't put an emulator for ps2 games on there because then they couldn't sell the ps2 games on the vitas virtual store. The virtual store and maybe the the personna remake are the only things the vita has going for it right now.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Moriarty said:
They won't put an emulator for ps2 games on there because then they couldn't sell the ps2 games on the vitas virtual store. The virtual store and maybe the the personna remake are the only things the vita has going for it right now.
That's the thing, if I could play my literal bookshelf full of ps2 games on a ps4, that would be an actual reason for me to get it.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Backwards compatibility to the PS2 is just about the only thing which would get me to pick up a PS4 at this point. I just don't want to deal with yet another big, bulky plastic box that only handles its own small library of titles, necessitating that I keep all my old plastic boxes around and plugged in.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I'm wondering why they banked on the x86 rather than the Power-PC architecture. I mean, I guess it makes it easier to transition PC games to the PS4 that way, but even so, most PC games are operating system specific and there is no way that Sony is going to use anything that could be tagged as windows. Anyhow, it's fairly clear that Sony didn't consult anybody who does much parallel programming before they landed on the cell architecture.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Rage only had 1 texture? That blows my mind.

First 6 core cpus, now DDR5 memory, Sony just likes these big tech numbers.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This is by far the best argument for why the PS4 not having backwards compatibility is a bad thing that will not be easily fixed, gratz Shamus!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Interesting. I had known the PS3 was a bear to code for, but I don't think I'd fully appreciated how that tied into the difficulties in emulating it on the new hardware. Thanks, Shamus.

Feb 8, 2009
I sort of knew this, but thanks for clearing it up more. I'm getting sick of losing my game libraries though. It's really annoying. I'm currently debating between the PS4 or moving to the PC gamer world. PC's are a bit daunting to get into though.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Yopaz said:
I got a PS3 less than 3 months ago and I still haven't finished the games that made me buy it. Of course I am annoyed that I wont be able to play them if I choose to update, but I understand why. It's a sad, but it's probably better for the developers to be able to work with one kind of CPU. I don't love the idea and it will make me hold off a future purchase for a game I really want though.
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one but, they are losing my potential money.
I'm an Xbox gamer--so I don't own any PS games. However, I've been very interested in a couple of the PS3 exclusives (Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog). However, it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a console that is on its way out for four games. So I was considering buying a PS4, thinking erroneously that it would be backwards compatible. But now that I learn that it won't be, There is very little chance I'm going to buy the PS4 or any of that PS3 back catalogue.

Flameeater

Aug 31, 2012
"I'm currently debating between the PS4 or moving to the PC gamer world. PC's are a bit daunting to get into though."

They are really not that bad. I have been a PC gamer for quite some time, grew up on the snes, and psx. Things with newer PCs are far more friendly for a person used to console gaming then ever before. I find it amazing that with games like the new Fallouts and Skyrim, my old "budget build" PC with an el-cheapo midrange video card still manages to eat my PS3 alive in terms of graphics and responsiveness (not to mention no 20min Loading times). You can now pretty much treat your PC as a console like I do. Plug in an HDMI cord to your TV or AV-Box, plug in a ps3 or xbox controller and you are all set, you will never know the difference (Aside from missing a few old pals, Jaggy and Pixie)

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
xpacerx said:
I must have been the only one who heard when they said backwards compatibility for ps3 games was handled through the cloud.
They're looking at it - but promising nothing. They explicitly said they weren't guaranteeing anything about back compat and that it would not be present at launch (in an event with some other pretty wild promises).

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see some re-releases further down the road like they do with the PS classics, or even some PS3 games through streaming, just don't expect that you will ever be able to play any old PS3 disk you have sitting around.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
One more reason the Cell was a horrible idea: It's easy to forget now, but there were /years/ of no fantastic PS3 exclusives thanks to how hard the damn thing is to code for. PS3 owners (like me) would eagerly seize on any exclusive - 'This is the one, baby! Lair is going to have all you Xbots crying in your red rings!' 'Resistance: Fall of Man? This'll be the best shooter evar!'

There were definitely some good games (Uncharted 1), but you could smell the desperation for something fantastic. All thanks to the Cell. Or perhaps you can put half of the blame for Lair on that other dumb idea, SIXAXIS control for everything.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
oldtaku said:
PS3 owners (like me) would eagerly seize on any exclusive - 'This is the one, baby! Lair is going to have all you Xbots crying in your red rings!' 'Resistance: Fall of Man? This'll be the best shooter evar!'
"SOCOM: Confrontation is gonna be great!"

Man, that game was a waste of money. The best part of that purchase was using the packed-in headset to hear codec communications in MGS4 (now there's an exclusive that was actually good). SOCOM: Confrontation itself was some of the least fun I've ever had in a PS3 game.

P.S. Thanks

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
The easy solution is to keep your PS3 or skip the PS4 and buy an Xbox8 or whatever it's called. I'm guessing most of the complainers didn't drop $600 for a launch PS3 and were forced to deal with inferior models that were not backward compatible, so you should be use to it.

At some point, isn't it just easier to move on, instead of complaining?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The problem is the industry has a serious image problem with its user base. DRM, Day one / on disk DLC, microtransactions in everything, villification of the used game market, tactics to stop piracy that do more to make inconvienience legitimate buyers, and that's a short list of the more serious issues. So when sony comes out "here's the PS4, here's a lot of features you didn't want, the feature you might want isn't there, but here's our new streaming service," it's hard not to take the whole thing as Sony trying to cripple any market outside the immediate new releases, even if they have legitimate hardware reasons.

This was a time for humility, not dodging the issue while every forum poster ranted about system architechure or looked at us weird because we liked older games and didn't think the hardware would be supported forever. Even a simple statement such as "we will do all we can to keep the PS3 in circulation until some workaround can be done" or "we will offer credit for PS4 versions of PS3 games if they'd been bought digitally, or even if we find a patch for said game had been downloaded to your account" would go a long way to avoid making it look like the issue is legitimate, not a result of turning a dumb decision into a corporate cash grab.