Why There Is No Future For Old Games

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Maybe consoles won't save us due to required updates that won't be available but so far consoles have saved us.

You wanna play a 10 year old console game? Getting a PS2, Gamecube or XBOX isn't hard at all. Having a 10 year old PC laying around is not as likely for most people.

Want to play a 30 year old game? NES's are easy to find too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Shamus Young said:
This is an industry set on burning its bridges behind it, as fast as it can.
Well, yeah.

This is the industry that has people that actually think "Always Online" equates to "Greater Convenience".
This is the industry that has an entire model based on deliberately crippling a game to sell temporary fixes.

So why not throw in some "planned obsolescence" or shortsighted half-assery while we're at it?

The only real hope is visualization, but even that has its limits due to all the proprietary system requirements being crammed into gaming in the past 10 years.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I have read a lot of dumb, uninformed shite on this website in the many years I have frequented this place but this article takes the cake. A modern OS is more complicated than DOS? Welcome to Virtualization... Windows 7 event has built in Virtualization of Windows XP under "XP Mode."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

No one is going to have to keep hold of old Hardware, this is DirectX9/10/11 is not the same as Glide.

Your article does nothing more than highlight your own ignorance as well as the ignorance of the editors who allowed such a misinformed piece of scaremongering to be published.

I think I am done with the Escapist... there is nothing for me here anymore.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Void(null) said:
A modern OS is more complicated than DOS? Welcome to Virtualization... Windows 7 event has built in Virtualization of Windows XP under "XP Mode."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

No one is going to have to keep hold of old Hardware, this is DirectX9/10/11 is not the same as Glide.
Actually, virtual machines have limited support for 3D acceleration. In fact, the "XP Mode" built into some versions of Windows 7 (and that was subsequently removed!) has no support for 3D acceleration at all (and has other limitations, as it is designed using Remote Desktop). VMware and VirtualBox do have some support for 3D acceleration in guest operating systems, but so far it is limited to XP and later. Presently, if you have a game designed for Windows 9x that requires 3D acceleration and won't run under XP for some reason, you're pretty much flat out of luck. There is little reason to expect things will get better.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
WeepingAngels said:
Maybe consoles won't save us due to required updates that won't be available but so far consoles have saved us.

You wanna play a 10 year old console game? Getting a PS2, Gamecube or XBOX isn't hard at all. Having a 10 year old PC laying around is not as likely for most people.

You don't need old hardware to run an old game, all you need is a compatible run-time environment.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:

You don't need old hardware to run an old game, all you need is a compatible run-time environment.
Did I say otherwise?

However, whereas Windows 67 may no longer support any SNES emulator, a real SNES will always support SNES games.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:

Did I say otherwise?

However, whereas Windows 67 may no longer support any SNES emulator, a real SNES will always support SNES games.
You don't need to have a 10 year old PC laying around or Windows 67 to support a SNES emulator, PCs are not consoles.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:

Did I say otherwise?

You don't need to have a 10 year old PC laying around or Windows 67 to support a SNES emulator, PCs are not consoles.
My point was (no, I did not intend to shit on your precious PC gaming) that it's much easier to find a 10,20 or 30 year old console than to get your PC running 10, 20 or 30 year old games.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:

Did I say otherwise?

My point was (no, I did not intend to shit on your precious PC gaming) that it's much easier to find a 10,20 or 30 year old console than to get your PC running 10, 20 or 30 year old games.
So you find an old console that you hope still works, then you also need games that still work and a compatible TV that still works. That's some how easier then downloading a program and clicking run?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:
inmunitas said:
WeepingAngels said:

Did I say otherwise?

So you find an old console that you hope still works, then you also need games that still work and a compatible TV that still works. That's some how easier then downloading a program and clicking run?
Oh forget it, you win. All hail the always backward compatible PC.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
... the only way to run yesterday's games is to own yesterday's hardware.
I never got this attitude from PC gamers, as if consoles turned into dust whenever a new generation comes along.
Dude, man, Shamus: my PS2 works fine.
Not everyone has space for a ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox, 360 and a 1 and they won't live forever.
If i needed to haul my decade old, loud, giant, heavy pc around just so I can play sacrifice or dungeon keeper, I'd go crazy.