Why We Should Stop Caring About the Zombie Apocalypse

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Why We Should Stop Caring About the Zombie Apocalypse

Zombie apocalypse, didn't you ever learn to share?

Read Full Article

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Eh, zombies have never done much for me in the first place. Yes I enjoy certain zombie video games, but it's more for the gameplay elements they bring to the table (strong co-op in Killing Floor, zany combat in Dead Rising) than the subject matter itself.

Truth be told, I find the fascination to be a bit unsettling. To me, zombies feel like an excuse to kill and maim people (or at least approximations of them) without having to worry about the pesky morality that usually comes with hurting a fellow human being.

To add the final nail to the proverbial coffin, even if a "zombie apocalypse" were to happen, it wouldn't be nearly as apocalyptic as fiction makes it out to be.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
This article strides the fine line between stating the obvious and being contrarian hipster-bait. Not trying to inflame anything or provoke a banhammer, that's just my honest critique.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
The way I see it, Zombies still being popular isn't a big deal. Its just another option of entertainment. I never hear anyone saying. "I'm so sick of Comic Book movies", so why do zombies get so much shit for being popular. Theres still plenty of fun to be had with the subject and if your tired of it then go watch something else. It's not like Zombie's are the only option out there. I see the Zombie merchandise all over the place, I for one am not a fan of the Walking Dead Show, and i'm aware at just how many bad Zombie movies are out there. But I just ignore it. I don't single it out over all the other sub-genres of entertainment as "needing to be culled"

Your argument doesn't give any valid reason why the oversaturation of zombies in entertainment is a particularly negative thing. It just sounds like your bitching.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Those Doomsday Prepper programmes are a bit creepy, aren't they? I mean, some of the people on... It's almost like they're looking forward to global disaster. Like they are planning on annexing other survivors and start running new society their way, y'all!

I do wonder what public horror will eventually follow zombies, though.

sketch_zeppelin said:
The way I see it, Zombies still being popular isn't a big deal. Its just another option of entertainment. I never hear anyone saying. "I'm so sick of Comic Book movies", so why do zombies get so much shit for being popular. Theres still plenty of fun to be had with the subject and if your tired of it then go watch something else. It's not like Zombie's are the only option out there. I see the Zombie merchandise all over the place, I for one am not a fan of the Walking Dead Show, and i'm aware at just how many bad Zombie movies are out there. But I just ignore it. I don't single it out over all the other sub-genres of entertainment as "needing to be culled"

Your argument doesn't give any valid reason why the oversaturation of zombies in entertainment is a particularly negative thing. It just sounds like your bitching.
I suppose it's just that the current zombiefic plague is hogging pretty much everything, like vampires did. Not exactly a dire problem for culture as a whole, certainly not, but it's worth being talked about.

Churrasco

Oct 13, 2013
sketch_zeppelin said:

A Google search for "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" (with the quotes) yields almost 5,000 results whereas "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" gives us only 3,600 results. And at least comic book movies give us interesting stories.

The oversaturation of zombie movies is a particularly negative thing because nearly every single one of them follows the same generic and overused plotline. Even a smart book like World War Z was totally dumbed down in its big screen adaptation. Not to mention the premise is stupid and 100% unrealistic. Zombies are about as realistic as vampires and werewolves, and those are pretty stupid too.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Churrasco said:
sketch_zeppelin said:

A Google search for "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" (with the quotes) yields almost 5,000 results whereas "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" gives us only 3,600 results. And at least comic book movies give us interesting stories.

The oversaturation of zombie movies is a particularly negative thing because nearly every single one of them follows the same generic and overused plotline. Even a smart book like World War Z was totally dumbed down in its big screen adaptation. Not to mention the premise is stupid and 100% unrealistic. Zombies are about as realistic as vampires and werewolves, and those are pretty stupid too.
So the premise of super heroes and comic book villains in movies is not also 100% unrealistic? The biggest pull for me in the zombie genre is the themes explored within them from the questions they pose about our society at large to how everyday people interact with each other and deal with emotions - I find the vast majority of comic book movies don't even come close. I see the likes of Batman smash the box office far more frequently and "successfully" than the shuffling Undead and I'm fine with that as there's room for all.

That is what I disagree with most, the thought that there isn't room for anything else and that a single thing that is allegedly over saturating the market (especially if there's more in another genre) is holding back others outside of it's focus. I just don't buy it at all. What are we missing, exactly?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Judging by how Nazi's are still going relatively strong as evil threat... Yea, not getting rid of our lovable but decomposing friends any time soon.

Zombies by now have long since moved out of the basement, and are just another flavour of faceless mooks, to be used when nazi's, ninja's, or mediterranean terrorists would be inappropriate.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
The post-Apocalypse setting is a flavour like chocolate or vanilla - it never gets old. You can not like it, or you can burn out on it by consuming too much of it, but there's no reason it should go away.

Speaking personally, post-apoc settings creep me the hell out, but not so much that I lose interest. It's a good creepy - the kind of creepy that other people get from other horror genres that I can't tap into at all. Takes all sorts!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed that this was just a short opinion piece & there wasn't more meat to this article or anything really new to contribute. Also mentioning
Under The Dome has aliens in it
is a pretty big spoiler to those who haven't read the book or seen the TV show...

Arppis

May 28, 2011
As long as there is good stuff comming out on Zombie Apocalypse, I'll be on board. It's same as with Star Wars, as long as there is good stories comming from that universe, I'll be reading/watching them.

There is no need to be uninterested just because people feel bored of it. Each for their own. :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, but we in Pittburgh won't be passing up the zombie phenomenon anytime soon. California would have to give up on oranges first.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Kolyarut said:
The post-Apocalypse setting is a flavour like chocolate or vanilla - it never gets old. You can not like it, or you can burn out on it by consuming too much of it, but there's no reason it should go away.

Speaking personally, post-apoc settings creep me the hell out, but not so much that I lose interest. It's a good creepy - the kind of creepy that other people get from other horror genres that I can't tap into at all. Takes all sorts!
Yes, certainly, but post-apocalypse fiction doesn't necessarily equal zombie fiction. To continue on the food-theme, post-apoc is a Digestive biscuit, it's very versatile, and there's many things you can put on top, zombies being but one of them.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I have to agree with @deathbydeath and @sketch_zeppelin on this one. Not for nothing, but I'm not really swayed by this article...and I'm someone who doesn't even care about zombies.

I'm not saying we can't enjoy the apocalypse ever again but the real point of all apocalypse stories is the actual human interaction, the turns that society takes in the wake of a destruction of that magnitude.
This for me is something I disagree with. It's not that I don't like apocalypse media that deals with human interaction, but rather I don't think apocalypse media needs to be any one thing in particular. Sometimes I could give two shits about how people deal with the aftermath and am sometimes more interested in how people deal with an apocalypse in the moment or as it unfolds. Sometimes I'm honestly more interested in what led up to the apocalypse as opposed to what it actually is. All I'm saying is that I think when we start going down this line of "This is what the purpose of an apocalypse is" we start crossing into a territory that doesn't really allow for exceptions.

Also, onto the point of using other things, such as witches, ghosts, or aliens: I said this before in a previous thread about replacing vampire films with eldritch abomination films, it has nothing to do with the creature and more the mentality behind it. It's why I'm not swayed by arguments of "But it's a different creature/design" because, really, it isn't the design/creature that's the issue, it's how its used. Even if it's different, it's all for naught if the same mentality going into the previous films we considered shitty was being applied here instead.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
GoaThief said:
Churrasco said:
sketch_zeppelin said:

So the premise of super heroes and comic book villains in movies is not also 100% unrealistic? The biggest pull for me in the zombie genre is the themes explored within them from the questions they pose about our society at large to how everyday people interact with each other and deal with emotions - I find the vast majority of comic book movies don't even come close. I see the likes of Batman smash the box office far more frequently and "successfully" than the shuffling Undead and I'm fine with that as there's room for all.

That is what I disagree with most, the thought that there isn't room for anything else and that a single thing that is allegedly over saturating the market (especially if there's more in another genre) is holding back others outside of it's focus. I just don't buy it at all. What are we missing, exactly?
Goole search for "i'm sick of pie" and you'll get about the same amount of results. you can always find people that don't like something. what i'm saying is that zombies aren't actually taking over the entertainment industry. there just getting a bit more love than they have before. If you don't like them then just ignore them. There's no need to post an article about how we need to stop caring about them as a sub-genre.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I disagree, zombies are not the problem, the problem is people being lazy. Very little seems to be being done with zombies in movies, tv, and video games. The zombies are mostly cannon fodder, there to be an action scene, and not much more. When there is more that can be done with zombies, and has been done, it just gets lost in all the crap.

Romero's Dawn of the Dead (movie)
Sankarea (anime)
George R.R. Martin's Meathouse Man (short story)
David Tallerman's Stockholm Syndrome (short story)
World War Z (book)
Organ Trail (videogame)
Telltale's The Walking Dead (videogame)
Dan Simmons's This Year's Class Picture (short story)

It's the same it's always been. The good stuff is sometimes hard to find, but worth it, then there's all the junk. Just now, the junk's popular. Stop watching shitty media, and when you do stumble across it understand someone did something wrong. and, Under the Dome? TV show, or book? Haven't read the book, and that's the nicest thing I can say about the TV show.