Why WoW players moved to FF14 - An Analysis

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Starcraft and Warcraft were RTS games that didn't do much different from Command and Conquer except make them less complex to learn.
I'm sorry, what?

I wouldn't say that Warcraft I/II were more complex than CnC, but less complex? That's a stretch. Both use the premise of near-symmetric factions fighting over mutually-exclusive campaigns, there's not really anything that CnC does that's more complex than Warcraft. But StarCraft? The game with three asymmetrical factions versus the game with two nearly identical factions, with two resources instead of one, and sequential campaigns rather than exclusive campaigns? Really?

One of the other big problems WoW has is a lore problem. Most of WoW's story is told through novels that are sold outside of the game. You have to read the novels if you want to truly dig into the story of WoW because the story of WoW has never really been told in the game.
Really don't agree. If anything, I'd kind of prefer that was the case, because that way I could get more story without having to play WoW. The novels have usually been interquels, but most story has been in-game for quite awhile. If anything, a common complaint was that WoW became too linear and had too much story, whereas WoW vanilla didn't have a set plotline.

Guess I’ll just be one of those sad bastards who hangs around until they turn the lights off in Azeroth.
"I see only...darkness...for me..."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I was feeling that MMO itch again a month or so back and was considering subbing to WoW again. Instead had FFXIV recommended, downloaded the free trial and haven't looked back. As someone who hadn't "clicked" with any other Final Fantasy game in the past, not being involved in the series didn't cause any problems at all getting absorbed into the story and world.

A few key reminders for anyone who decides to give it a try:

1. The story is a key part of the game, and you should plan on taking at least a month to get through the main story quests. If you try to marathon it, you're doing yourself a disservice and will likely burn out because it's long.

2. Classes and jobs slowly introduce you into the endgame rotation as you go. For example, lancer has essentially a slow 3 button rotation for the first 30-some levels, but by the time you reach max, dragoon (its job equivalent) is significantly more involved and fast-paced.

3. Alts are primarily done on the same character as your primary. Switching between jobs/classes is as easy as changing your equipped weapon, so there's no downside to leveling everything you're interested in on the same toon.

4. While there are stat differences (1-5 points) between the various character races, they are essentially meaningless by endgame when your primary job stat might have 5000+ points in it. Choose whatever you think looks best!

5. When leveling your first class/job, the main story quests are your best friend. They will always give the best bang for your buck as far as gear/exp/money goes.

6. https://saltedxiv.com/ and https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki are two of the best general resources I've found for info about the game online. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ is a great resource for glamours.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I was feeling that MMO itch again a month or so back and was considering subbing to WoW again. Instead had FFXIV recommended, downloaded the free trial and haven't looked back. As someone who hadn't "clicked" with any other Final Fantasy game in the past, not being involved in the series didn't cause any problems at all getting absorbed into the story and world.

A few key reminders for anyone who decides to give it a try:

1. The story is a key part of the game, and you should plan on taking at least a month to get through the main story quests. If you try to marathon it, you're doing yourself a disservice and will likely burn out because it's long.

2. Classes and jobs slowly introduce you into the endgame rotation as you go. For example, lancer has essentially a slow 3 button rotation for the first 30-some levels, but by the time you reach max, dragoon (its job equivalent) is significantly more involved and fast-paced.

3. Alts are primarily done on the same character as your primary. Switching between jobs/classes is as easy as changing your equipped weapon, so there's no downside to leveling everything you're interested in on the same toon.

4. While there are stat differences (1-5 points) between the various character races, they are essentially meaningless by endgame when your primary job stat might have 5000+ points in it. Choose whatever you think looks best!

5. When leveling your first class/job, the main story quests are your best friend. They will always give the best bang for your buck as far as gear/exp/money goes.

6. https://saltedxiv.com/ and https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki are two of the best general resources I've found for info about the game online. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ is a great resource for glamours.
Leveling trick from somebody who's trying to level every class: *do not* do all of the side quests on your main job. Just keep your level current with the main story quests and leave the side quests to help level up your other classes. That way you aren't over leveled for content on one class and you don't have to run endless dungeons for your other classes.

Also, it's great if you have a main, but learning the basics of other classes really helps out with overall systems knowledge.

And dps with your healers when possible.

Reactions: Avnger

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
And dps with your healers when possible.
As someone who plays almost exclusively healer, I'll elaborate on this.

SCH: Ruin II and AoW are instant cast, which means the scholar can weave off-global heals without halting DPS. Ruin II is lower potency than the Broil line, but any potency is better than zero potency. Pop your critlo before/between pulls, so you're not wasting an early GCD on it that could be better spent on a damage spell.

AST: All their damage spells are 1.5 cast time, meaning they can weave practically at-will. All healers are getting this in 6.0 meaning it won't be a strength unique to AST, but until then it's important to learn how to weave with 1.5 second cast times. Lightspeed is critical for mobility phases and when weaving is absolutely necessary.

WHM: For the love of god, use Holy. Holy is your single most effective heal in trash pulls, period, end of story. It's equivalent to a free tank invuln on every single pull. Other than making sure the tank does not drop dead, those Holy stuns are your number one priority in any pull. It's not as big an issue any more, but unlike SCH do not Regen between pulls because it can fuck with tank aggro; that's what Benison is for, because with its short cooldown (and charges in 6.0) throwing it on your tank guarantees it'll be coming off cooldown in time you'll want it again.

You might make the DRK's a little buttmad because you'll be screwing their rotation, but fuck 'em if they're dumb enough to TBN on the pull with a WHM in the group (which they may will, because they've probably run with enough stupid WHM's to know Holy lockdown is not a given). Worst-case scenario, you tell 'em at the start you plan to Holy spam on the pull so they can hold off their first TBN until the stun resist kicks in.

Last, a point about raid damage, stacks, Akh Morns, and towers/meteors. Make sure you're focus targeting the boss, most of the time key boss mechanics have cast timers and you want to learn the timing on those mechanics. Inexperienced healers blow away MP, GCD's, and class resources on their wide AE heals to recover from mechanics, especially in instances where those wide AE heals won't recover enough HP in a single cast to do the job.

Especially inexperienced WHM's who use Plenary as a crutch for additional recovery from Medica 1/2 or Rapture when they should be using Cure III instead. There are all of two fights in the game I remember offhand where Plenary is actually necessary during healer checks; one is a stack mechanic where you're going to be using Plenary and Cure III, the other's a spread mechanic where you're going to be using Plenary and Rapture (and Medica I once you're out of lilies).

That's where Cure III, Deployment Tactics, and Collective Unconscious come in as short-range AE recovery/mit tools.