Why You Can't Swing A Sword In Fable: The Journey

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I wouldnt of minded if this was a small arcade game being develped by a small team of people from Lionhead, but it looks and sounds like they are diverting the entire work force from
Fable IV to work on this... I know one person who owns a Kinect! Peter, Fable IV has got to be the best one yet if your making us wait till after this

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yes completely new and innovative mechanics in the RPG world! *coughBecauseIt'sActuallyAnOnRailsShooterChough*

Oh Peter Peter, will you really never learn how to make games :D

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
It's actually the next instalment of the story.

So people without Kinect who have played all the previous games can't see the story progress.
Wait, seriously?

Okay, that is bullcrap. Sorry, thought it was just some generic tie in, not a significant part of the story.

weatherfn

Oct 22, 2008
Personally (albeit idealistically...), I think this is him trying to get a feel for how the public would take to Kinect motion controls for magic in general. If this works, then maybe the real Fable 4 will allow you to swing your sword via button press with the controller in one hand, and make some sort of motion with the other hand to conjure a fireball/lightning/etc. That would get rid of the need for the endless tiers of specific icons for each spell cluttering up the screen. You would just need to know that spells physical hand motion.

Really, this kind of fluidity is what I hope motion-controls turn into, rather than trying to emulate a real sword movement. He is right when he says that guns and sword movements don't quite work with current motion control technology. And anyway, they are supposed to be motion controls, not motion emulators.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
How about making a weighted sword controller with a rumble pack?
I would love for someone to design a sword that has a weight inside that will impact the opposite side of the blades internals when you "hit something". Feign the feeling of impact, even if only a little.

But I'm not nearly engineery enough to figure out the logistics.

Camarilla said:
Abandon4093 said:

So people without Kinect who have played all the previous games can't see the story progress.
Wait, seriously?

Okay, that is bullcrap. Sorry, thought it was just some generic tie in, not a significant part of the story.
Youtube playthrough video. It'll probably be 30 minutes long and get you updated for the next real fable.

I've done that in the past when a contiguous sequel was terrible, so I could move onto better things.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Camarilla said:
Abandon4093 said:

Wait, seriously?

yep..... man, between this, diablo's DRM, and ID's massive install n' locking of content for used game buyers, that a lot of devs seem to have been stricken with arrogance and idiocy.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
... I think most people are forgetting what magic is. A convenient excuse to let anything happen. Does it actually matter if your character is swininging a sword or shooting out a short range fire whip.

No swords doesn't mean no combat, it just means spells are going to have to be designed to make up for it.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Still wouldn't recoil as you hit something. Plus it's just an extra gimmicky piece of crap that you won't use after this game. What you need to simulate combat is a suit that has hydraulics. So it forces your arm back with resistance and simulates the correct weight and hits you take.

It's not really feasible at the minute.
or...you know....ever.

OT: Molyneux's explanation makes something loosely resembling logical sense.....but it doesn't change the fact that you're cutting out many different options and experiences if you remove melee outright. I'm sure a LOT more people would've been interested in this if you could chop things to bitsies in fluid detailed animations, with high fidelity feedback on screen.

Another way of saying all of that is Fruit Ninja Kinect. Do THAT....but with bandits and Hobbs and shit.

Sep 14, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Abandon4093 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Still wouldn't recoil as you hit something. Plus it's just an extra gimmicky piece of crap that you won't use after this game. What you need to simulate combat is a suit that has hydraulics. So it forces your arm back with resistance and simulates the correct weight and hits you take.

or...you know....ever.
They already have a vest that has hydraulics able to simulate taking a shot in a game. Give gaming another 20 years. We'll be seeing full on gaming suits.
imagine taking a kamehameha wave or a hadouken wearing one of those...

fuck that.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Abandon4093 said:
Soviet Heavy said:

or...you know....ever.
They already have a vest that has hydraulics able to simulate taking a shot in a game. Give gaming another 20 years. We'll be seeing full on gaming suits.
Nah, I think in 20 years we'll have a controller in the shape of like a Matrix chair, sans the giant head spike, that we connect to, to put ourselves directly into the game and control the avatar with our very thoughts. Recoil will similarly be beamed to us, just like every other sense, (sight, sound, touch, smell(maybe)) except physical pain.

Oh and also no perma-death. Obviously.

Heck why does it have to be a chair? It could be just be ......like a headset with eye and ear coverings.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I like the swordfighting i twilight princess. Actually more than the sword I really liked the feel of controlling the wolf, it made you feel like a badass.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hey Pete. Heres an idea. If you are really so concerned with Recoil on Kinect heres a solution.

Make a peripheral Sword that has a cross pad for directional control and force feedback rumble pack to represent recoil.

It would likely make you more money and would have the potential to help the kinect be adopted more readily and improve all kinect games as a whole.

Really, For someone who is developing games, if this is the kind of hurdle you cant pass and as such neuter your project, then I would hate to see you face a real developmental challenge. Use some critical thinking. Yeesh.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
What do I take away from this? Fable: The Journey will, unfortunately, not be a game I'm able to acquire. I hope they release a version playable without Kinnect someday so I can check it out.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
To be fair, if the game had included swordplay, people would've gone "Eurr, gimmick! Eurr, no physical feedback! Eurr, Peter Molyneux suck on my cock!" He can't win, so props for at least trying to make the most out of the technology.