Wii don't want achievements

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
mad benji89 said:
i dont get the hole achivement hate, like some of them are really fun for example on left 4 dead 2 chop 200 hundred zombies heads of with a hand weapon and i dont think there is anyone here who dosnt enjoy watching heads fly off in the distance and you say people start the hole mine is bigger than yours well there is nothing wrong with abit of Competitive behavour.
the point is that you shouldn't need a signal to be proud ofyourself in a game. You just killed 200 zombies, that's it's own achievement. You don't need the game to recognize it for you. You just did alot.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I don't like them, they make everyone collectionist at some point. Even the best of us.

Maybe TF2 achievements are good because they reward you with in game items, so if the reward is sound, and not a hollow boast then go for it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I think...there's no particular problem with Achievements, however I don't see them as necessary.

They are a hollow way to extend playtime in a game. Challenges have always existed, and I've had no problem with achieving certain goals in games, but when you get achievements for turning games on? I think an inherent problem lies within.

I don't think the Wii needs them.

mad benji89

May 4, 2009
bowserboy26578 said:
mad benji89 said:
i dont get the hole achivement hate, like some of them are really fun for example on left 4 dead 2 chop 200 hundred zombies heads of with a hand weapon and i dont think there is anyone here who dosnt enjoy watching heads fly off in the distance and you say people start the hole mine is bigger than yours well there is nothing wrong with abit of Competitive behavour.
the point is that you shouldn't need a signal to be proud ofyourself in a game. You just killed 200 zombies, that's it's own achievement. You don't need the game to recognize it for you. You just did alot.
actaully i proberly would need the game to recognize it for me because i dont think i would be able to count how many i kill so if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have a clue lol and plus you proberly going to think am a boaster but i like to have somthing for my labour like just a made up random one in my head like the kill a boss only using ur fist that would be somthing being proud of but if u didnt have a achivment for it people might just think ur blagging lol so i like them to know what i done and if i done somthing cool i want to be able to have some prove of that lol

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I don't care for achievements, I just play games for the fun of it. On too many occaisions though, people have bugged me to death about "Dude, why is your gamerscore so low? Don't you want all of the achievements on Halo 3?" No, No I don't.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I love achievements. They make me play games in ways I wouldn't normally play them.

Like the Orange Box for example. I never would of thought to try to beat Episode 1 while only firing one bullet, or beat Episode 2 with that stupid fucking gnome.

But still, I don't love them to the point where I feel like going to some achievement guide website just to get it.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
You know you can turn of achievement notifications on Xbox if they really bother you...

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
mad benji89 said:
bowserboy26578 said:
mad benji89 said:
actaully i proberly would need the game to recognize it for me because i dont think i would be able to count how many i kill so if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have a clue lol and plus you proberly going to think am a boaster but i like to have somthing for my labour like just a made up random one in my head like the kill a boss only using ur fist that would be somthing being proud of but if u didnt have a achivment for it people might just think ur blagging lol so i like them to know what i done and if i done somthing cool i want to be able to have some prove of that lol
you know alot of games record that anyway. They'll count certain things for you. LikeinnSuper Smash Bros. It count everthing for you.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I just don't understand whats wrong with them. It's a nice way to show your acomplishments (E.g. Mile high club), it makes the game longer as you can replay to get the achievements rather than just play a game once then never again (which i have done). I don't get the problem, i've never personally meet someone who seriously has gloated about their gamerscore, i have however got annoyed when others surpass me, and i feel like i should catch up and overtake them. I imagine that for one or two of you that might be the problem, lack of not winning a race with small numbers.

I said one or two of you... put the knifes away... please?

However the big thing for me achievement wise right now is that soon games will finally be having avatar unlockables so i feel my effort is much more rewarded and i might end up having more than one completed game (batman arkham for those that wondered)

grimdeath999

Sep 7, 2009
i love achievements/trophies they let people try games they might not have tried before and also they do extend playtime and make the player explore teh game mroe than what they would take prince of persia for instance collectign 1000 lightseeds i would never have ran around explorign such a really nice game if it wasnt for that and now i do it in all the games i play

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
Psychosocial said:
bowserboy26578 said:
mad benji89 said:
bowserboy26578 said:
mad benji89 said:
you know alot of games record that anyway. They'll count certain things for you. LikeinnSuper Smash Bros. It count everthing for you.
The only difference is that some of these games actually pat you on the shoulder, and say that you're really good for doing it.

I mean seriously, you're just being stubborn now. You know you're in the wrong on this one, I suggest you just leave it before you make more of a fool out of yourself.
THereis no wrong in opinions, just ideals. And you shouldn't need a pat on the back. If you think you've done well, that should be all the pat you need.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I don't actually care about them personally, but I don't see any real reason not to include them. What harm would it do?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Chipperz said:
SikOseph said:
Chipperz said:
Depends. Which did you think was better, Star Trek or Star Wars?
WIN for me. I thought Star Wars was overhyped shit that kids might enjoy, and I never really got the appeal of Star Trek.
Dammit, yeah, you win. You're in the lesser nerd-dom categories.

For the record, if you read his post and are now disgusted that he thinks that about either... You're a massive nerd of the highest calibur :p
What how can you not like star wars! NERD RAGE!!!!! (sorry, I had to.)

Achievements are a very petty victory. Gamers live for petty victories. That's why so many of them enjoy beating hard games and collecting all the collectibles, they are petty accomplishments. Achievements always just seemed like another collectible to me. Rather then collecting all the scattered flags, you have to kill 10 guards with a quick-kill without them noticing. Collectibles don't ruin games because nobody forces you to find them(except in bad games) and achievements don't ruin games because nobody is forcing you to get them, they are just another thing you can do.

The only bad part of this is sticking an arbitrary point value on them or placing them into multiplayer games. In multiplayer games trying to work with someone who is altering there play style to get achievements can be frustrating. The two players have different goals and mind as well be playing different games, one to win by normal means and the other to win by using only a certain weapon, killing at a certain time, etc. That is unfair to the player who is relying on his teammates because now he can't rely on them due to a gameplay feature and that is bad.
The arbitrary point value is bad idea due to the fact that gamers are also elitists and will find any tiny reason possible to rub people's noses in everything. Rubbing someone's nose in a gamerscore is just another means of this. Of course this is less a problem with gamers and more a problem with people and you can't fix people.

In regards to the Wii, I don't care if it has achievements or not but due to its lack of an online hub, achievements will be just a game local event. Stuff like that already exists(although its not called achievements) so I'm fine with it.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Its is a proven fact that your amount of gamer score is inversely proportional to the size of your wang.

Just get rid of the fucking level progression achievements, they're lazy and stupid. Oh wow I finished chapter 1, this was a triumph.