Wii sales down, DS too

migo

Jun 27, 2010
http://kotaku.com/5532274/wii-sales-down-21-in-a-single-year

Now the DS sales drop is easily explainable - people are waiting for the 3DS. The Wii, not so much, unless the Move and Kinect made more of an impression on the game buying public than we initially thought.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
migo said:
http://kotaku.com/5532274/wii-sales-down-21-in-a-single-year

Now the DS sales drop is easily explainable - people are waiting for the 3DS. The Wii, not so much, unless the Move and Kinect made more of an impression on the game buying public than we initially thought.

Or people realized how awful they are...

or Everybody and their dog (literally) has a wii, so the new customer threshold is closing?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm betting that it's because so many people have them.

When you're at the top, the only to go is down.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I would have thought that the obvious answer would be that every man and his dog now owns (or has owned) a Wii.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Fumbles said:
or Everybody and their dog (literally) has a wii, so the new customer threshold is closing?
This. The Wii's like... three years old? Everyone has one or two by now. My ex has three and plays them all at the same time.

May 28, 2009
Or it could be because every has at least one Wii. I'm betting some people have 2 or 3 as an expensive paperweight too.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
migo said:
The Wii, not so much, unless the Move and Kinect made more of an impression on the game buying public than we initially thought.
Both machines are five years old and well north of 100million units shipped each. They are at, or more likely, beyond the point of saturation and well established on their downward sales curve. It happens, after 100 million how many people are seriously out there who want, can afford and don't already have a Wii or DS? The family down the street from me that has never had a games console in the 22 years of my life has a Wii, they are running out of people to sell them to.

More pertinently, despite sales being down, a lot, they are still significantly higher than anything the other two can muster. Perhaps we should be analysing that.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
The Wii is just over 70 million, well short of the 140 million of the PS2, and even 100 million of the PS1, it's nowhere near saturated, in fact it's only about half saturated if we go with the assumption that everyone owns a PS2.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Market coverage and saturation trump the Move and Kinect even still. They are many millions of units behind their competition, whose product is not only cheaper, but better supported.

No, some other factor is driving those sales down.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
And so my plan to finally get a DS when the price drops to something a cheapass such as I would be willing to pay is moving a step closer to fruition.... maybe.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The Wii still sells more than the 360 or PS3, if you believe VG Chartz [http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php].

[Edit] Also, note the last line in the article:
Before you get too doomy and gloomy, though, bear this in mind: even though sales are down, this was still Nintendo's third-best year ever.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the wii has pretty much reached market saturation so its no wonder it would fall off

migo

Jun 27, 2010
People keep saying it, and they're wrong. 70 million isn't market saturation, I don't care what your argument is, but less than half the market of gamers and potential gamers isn't even close to saturation.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Delusibeta said:
The Wii still sells more than the 360 or PS3, if you believe VG Chartz [http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php].

[Edit] Also, note the last line in the article:
Before you get too doomy and gloomy, though, bear this in mind: even though sales are down, this was still Nintendo's third-best year ever.
Indeed it was..or is..I guess.