Wii sales down, DS too

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I don't think it's to do with hype for Move and Kinect. There's a guy in the local Game store trying to push pre-orders of Kinect which suggests to me it must not be doing so well before its even released if he's having to peddle pre-orders to someone who just wanted a cheap used £5 game.

I think it's because the wii has been on sale for a long time now and many households already have one. This is also the reason why the Kinect and Move will be a commercial failure. No-one will want a Wii +1 because they've already got a Wii. Shiny HD graphics aren't going to make grandma pick the thing up. Another thing to bear in mind is that unlike the 360 (and arguably, PS3) the Wii is built to last. It's not often one goes wrong so there is little need to replace them. The planned obsolescence of the 360 (i'm looking at you RROD) is one of the reasons sales stay moderately high. Hell, i'm on about my fourth god damn unit already.

GryffinDarkBreed

Jul 21, 2008
migo said:
People keep saying it, and they're wrong. 70 million isn't market saturation, I don't care what your argument is, but less than half the market of gamers and potential gamers isn't even close to saturation.
Actually it is, because everyone who was wanting a Wii has one. Period. That's market saturation because the market you're selling to is SATURATED.

GryffinDarkBreed

Jul 21, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Market coverage and saturation trump the Move and Kinect even still. They are many millions of units behind their competition, whose product is not only cheaper, but better supported.

No, some other factor is driving those sales down.
Perhaps a lack of software quality? :>

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
GryffinDarkBreed said:
Atmos Duality said:
Market coverage and saturation trump the Move and Kinect even still. They are many millions of units behind their competition, whose product is not only cheaper, but better supported.

No, some other factor is driving those sales down.
Perhaps a lack of software quality? :>
We are in agreement there. Perhaps Nintendo's potential customers finally realized that one of their options was Wii Music.
It's rather sad though that the system has largely been sustained on shovelware and first party titles.

There's nothing innately wrong with (well, mostly. Remember: Wii Music) Nintendo's first party titles, but some stronger 3rd party support would have helped.

The runners up for 3rd party titles that I've played involve Trauma Center and No More Heroes 2....that's it.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
This makes sense. I would have bought 2 DS' but, well, yeah, I'm waiting for the new one.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Revelo said:
Consider you only really need one Wii for a household, people don't need to get as many. Could that explaination.
At the same time, you can have multiple home consoles, while it's rather difficult to have more than one portable as you only have two pockets. I've got in front of me an Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2 and GameCube (not to mention a gaming laptop and a netbook) - this is with a household of two. For portables I have a NeoGeo Pocket and an iPod touch that I'll be selling now while it still has value to get a 3DS later. So in the portable market once you have one, you're much more likely to just stick with that, while there's really not all that much stopping you from getting multiple consoles. If there's value in a home console system, you'll get it even if you have others, so there are much more families who could have a Wii.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:
Silly is when you buy a product 7 times over because it is faulty.
I don't want to argue this, because it is true, you americans especially are used to spending a lot on games.

I was just saying it's not a perishable product, you need to stop thinking of a console as something that will last a year tops, before it breaks down or you buy a newer model [sub]which you do[/sub]
So many false statements there. So hilarious.

I don't want to argue this, because it is true, you americans especially are used to spending a lot on games.
Fallacy: Gross Generalization. ("Which you all do")
Fallacy: Burden of Proof ("I don't want to argue this"), no evidence to support claims.

It's probably wise not to argue if that's what you're going to say. Even though it was you who went on a-tangentially related diatribe against Americans. You are trolling in any case, so enjoy the response. It killed about 10 minutes of dead air between classes for me.
It's still true.
Show me. Just because you say something doesn't make it true.
I can't show you what's obvious, look around you seriously, or make a poll how many consoles people have bought and were do they live.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Woodsey said:
I would have thought that the obvious answer would be that every man and his dog now owns (or has owned) a Wii.
That sounds about right. And mine is gathering dust.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Tolerant Fanboy said:
Question: How are XBox & PlayStation sales in the same time period looking? After all, if they were in similar rates of decline, that would simply indicate a poor market, while lesser decline and/or growth would indicate Nintendo has a problem.
Looking at the VG Chartz yearly figures (note: notoriously unreliable), then it seems that in the same time frame the PS3 sold 3 million more (13 mill) and the 360 sold about a million less (10 mill). Although I'd think it's more the Wii approaching saturation (you can't sustain 25 million sold yearly, and even then 20 million in a year is a load of consoles. Before you mention the PS2, according to VG Chartz it only topped 20 million sold in a year once, while the Wii's done it twice. Apparently, Nintendo sold more Wiis last year than Sony sold PS2's in 2002, its peak.) than any problem Nintendo has.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
PurpleSky said:
I can't show you what's obvious, look around you seriously, or make a poll how many consoles people have bought and were do they live.
Your argument is non-existent and based on stereotypes. My own existence as an American contradicts your blanket-statement argument, seeing how I have bought maybe 2 major consoles and 2 handhelds in the last 13 years.

I don't need to make a poll to prove just how wrong you are; you did that by yourself.
Never mind that your intentions seem to be purely hateful, misleading, and unfounded.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Gorfias said:
Woodsey said:
I would have thought that the obvious answer would be that every man and his dog now owns (or has owned) a Wii.
That sounds about right. And mine is gathering dust.
Owned mine for 6 months, played it for 2.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
PurpleSky said:
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:

I was just saying it's not a perishable product, you need to stop thinking of a console as something that will last a year tops, before it breaks down or you buy a newer model [sub]which you do[/sub]

Fallacy: Burden of Proof ("I don't want to argue this"), no evidence to support claims.

It's probably wise not to argue if that's what you're going to say. Even though it was you who went on a-tangentially related diatribe against Americans. You are trolling in any case, so enjoy the response. It killed about 10 minutes of dead air between classes for me.
It's still true.
I'm an American and I've only ever bought one (1) of any system going back to the Atari days and that includes them all except for the 3DO or CD-i and including handhelds except the N-gage). I still have all of them in working order, therefore, you are wrong in your statement.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I still go out and buy at least one DS game every time I receive my paycheck.

They'll still get revenue, even if hardware sales are dwindling due to 3DS hype.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:
Your argument is non-existent and based on stereotypes. My own existence as an American contradicts your blanket-statement argument, seeing how I have bought maybe 2 major consoles and 2 handhelds in the last 13 years.

I don't need to make a poll to prove just how wrong you are; you did that by yourself.
Never mind that your intentions seem to be purely hateful, misleading, and unfounded.
This is true about american consumers, I don't care if you are an exception.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:
PurpleSky said:
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:

It's still true.
I'm an American and I've only ever bought one (1) of any system going back to the Atari days and that includes them all except for the 3DO or CD-i and including handhelds except the N-gage). I still have all of them in working order, therefore, you are wrong in your statement.
You have trouble finding the difference between yourselves and the majority or consumers?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
PurpleSky said:
This is true about american consumers, I don't care if you are an exception.
Grow up.

Take more care about using the word "ALL" in the future. It means "Everything. Inclusive. No exceptions.", and that includes me and numerous other exceptions, which is why we don't make arguments based on stereotypes.

It makes you look like a complete asshole when you make statements like that.

Imagine what it would mean if someone said "All Muslims are terrorists who want to murder every single American".

Do you see anything wrong with that statement? It uses the same tone in which you made your initial statement. Using your demented logic, we can make assumptions and SHAZAM! It's suddenly "true"!

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
PurpleSky said:
RowdyRodimus said:
PurpleSky said:
Atmos Duality said:
PurpleSky said:

It's still true.
You have trouble finding the difference between yourselves and the majority or consumers?
No, but you made an attack on all of the citizens of America and you were proven wrong. You can't make a statement about a group of people without saying "many, most, a lot, etc." and not mean all.