Wii U to be quickly outdated?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Yeah, I watched the speech last year. For a lot of it I was just uttering "wat". The guy is too smart to be making just game engines, it's a good thing he is working on things like space rockets and Head Mounted Displays.

Seeing as AMD tend to be a smaller and cheaper company, I reckon Nintendo should get a good deal on hardware compared to how nVidia screwed over Sony. I believe the reason that Sony cannot do the CPU-GPU tactic with the PS3 is because nVidia won't sell them the design of the chip so they have to use the original GPU design. Also, the fact that they should sell a lot may give them more power when agreeing on a price for hardware.

I agree that Sony is much larger though on the flipside Nintendo has only ever posted 1 year of losses while Sony has been hemorrhaging money like there is no tomorrow (mainly due to the TVs I believe though the hit on PS3 hardware was likely a big factor).

It seems that Nintendo is repeating their same money saving tactic with the Wii U. The discs will hold 25GB and will use the blu ray technology but won't actually play bluray discs. That is sure to save some money per system.

That's pretty cool about Bulldozer. I was tempted to get a Trinity desktop (which uses Piledriver cores) to upgrade my llano mini-PC but AMD are being fuckwits and are delaying it to October instead of June in order to get get rid of old stock of llano, nice one assholes.
Well, Nintendo are going the exact same route as they have before with component designers (also PowerPC and AMD) and the way Microsoft has gone with 360 (powerPC and AMD) so compared to Microsoft they are at the same advantage/disadvantage with using IMB/AMD components.

Who knows what is going on with Sony. They really wanted "Teh Cell" and that's not something that can be integrated with other components like Microsoft did with their Xenos and Xenon processor, on latest Xbox 360 that is one integrated chip. I think IBM have even abandoned research on The Cell Broadband processor (that they originally made for supercomputer purposes) and Sony is using it in legacy.

The thing is when you get as big as Sony people don't care as much about losses, but smaller companies like Nintendo. I know it's not fair. It's like how the US government can have 17 Trillion dollars of debt yet if one US Citizen (of a population of 320 million) has 1 320millionth of that debt you are considered toxic as hell.

One thing the WiiU hopefully does is use red-laser high-capacity disc technology. Red laser technology is cheap. Bluray uses expensive violet laser technology that even without paying for license to play blu-ray movies is STILL expensive. Hopefully the high-density disc technology is something like used with HD-DVD which was good economical tech.

But they are going up against Xbox 360 which is still using ULTRA CHEAP bog standard DVD drives! So nintendo would REALLY struggle to beat Microsoft at that! Microsoft have done a pretty good job with DVD showing that even compared to PS3's blu-ray that it isn't worth it. Skyrim came on a single DVD.

This is like watching a Humvee play chicken with a freight train, yeah Nintendo's got a humvee but Microsoft is in a Freight train!

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
honestly, all i want Nintendo to do is make an option for people who despise motion control and be able to hook up the GC controller for all their mainstream games. thats all i ask and i will buy a Wii U...once its cheaper >_>

*happily curls back up on the couch with 360 controller*

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
CriticKitten said:
Treblaine said:
Yeah, Nintendo "survived" but it didn't dominate. Only if you erroneously define Wii as a 7th gen console did it dominate this generation. And it is not 7th gen technology, it's a gamecube with a slot loading DVD drive. You can run Wii games on Gamecube emulators with the right modifications for different controller input.
People are too concerned about what "generation" it is, and don't care enough about the thing that matters: sales.

You think Nintendo gives two shits how their console is classified by hardcore gamers? Nope, they're too busy rolling in the piles of money they printed with their sales figures to care. So this "point" isn't really important. In a head-to-head, the Wii dominated its two immediate opponents. Face up to the facts.

All the while Wii was selling at high levels (compared to 360 and PS3) as a cheap low end system, Sony was also continuing to sell the Playstation 2 as a cheap low end SD-resolution system. The first two God Of War games were released on PS2 after the 7th generation had kicked off with the Xbox 360. The following PS2 games were released for the PS2 when the 7th generation had started:
-Tomb Raider Legend
-Tomb Raider Anniversary
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-Black
-Urban Chaos
-Hitman: Blood Money
-Shadow of Colossus
That's because Sony's consoles are intended to be long-duration consoles. That's their business model: put out a console, then continue to support it for roughly a decade or so.

Playstation 1: 1994, was still selling units in 2005
Playstation 2: 2000, is still selling units and creating games today
Playstation 3: 2006

Nintendo doesn't follow that same business model because its technology can't hold up as long. Simple as that.

Nintendo just extended their 6th generation console further with a novel control interface. I mean, Xbox 360 isn't 8th generation because it has Kinect, is it? Nintendo can't just make Wii 7th gen by putting an arbitrary wall between Wii games and Gamecube games.
Stop worrying about what generation the tech is, because I promise you that the companies making these consoles don't give a crap what "generation" their console is classified as.

You're right. The selling point of the Nintendo is not the hardware but the games. But YOU DID wait because the appeal of the console was just a few first party games. And what the hell is WiiU launching with as exclusive? WiiU will be on the backfoot in multiplayer right from the start, while PS3 and 360 started off more or less level pegging. Yes it had Assassin's Creed 3. But that's also on PC, 360 and PS3.
You're making the mistaken assumption that this console is being sold exclusively to you, a hardcore gamer. You're wrong. This is still clearly being sold to the casual audience.

The third party support is an attempt to attract back some of the gamers who have jumped ship since the last iteration of consoles. It's not meant to sell Sony or Microsoft's hardcore fans, nor would it do so, anyways. It's meant to be an appeal to the Nintendo fans who didn't buy into the Wii and felt left out for not having those "cool" games on the Wii.

The thing is, if the WiiU sells for just $300, it will be 50% more expensive than an xbox 360 - this is comparing models WITHOUT large internal storage. And Microsoft could easily cut the price of Xbox 360 even more, and Sony the same with PS3. Nintendo is doing what it hasn't done in a while, try to go head to head with Microsoft and Sony. Last time they did that they got caned.
And yet, it will still sell a lot of units. As I noted earlier, the backwards compatibility is not just software (games), but hardware as well. This means that anyone who owns a Wii already wouldn't need to buy as many peripherals for this console as they would to buy into a 360.

Assuming a price point of $300 and prior Wii ownership, a Wii U customer spends $300 for the console and $50 for games. The number of peripherals they have from the Wii carry over, so no additional cost there. They could potentially have up to 4 Wiimote controllers, the steering wheel, etc, all at no cost, because they already own those.

However, assuming a price point of $300 and prior Wii ownership, a 360 customer pays out at least $200 for the console (and presumably the Kinect is included, assuming they're smart enough to buy the bundle) and $60 for games. Then peripherals come into play. Have a need for 4 player action? Enjoy the additional $150 cost. Now the console already costs more than the Wii U does, and the games will continue to cost more for the life of the console.

The prices aren't as radically different as you think they are. The only people who will be paying through the nose are people who never bought a Wii, and let's be honest....they really aren't selling this console to those people. If they were, they wouldn't have put such an emphasis on having virtually every aspect of the console be backwards compatible with the Wii, hell, they might not have even called it "Wii U" in the first place.

I'd REALLY like it if the WiiU sold for $200, competitively priced with the Xbox 360 4GB. But the original Wii is still selling for $150 and last I checked they struggled to turn a profit on selling for $200! This is because Nintendo are not a powerful conglomerate like Microsoft or Nintendo, it costs more for them to manufacture the same technology. Hell, they are at a disadvantage with patents as big companies hold patent wars that Nintendo can't so they must pay more.
That's why Nintendo builds cheaper consoles. They were the only one of the three previous console makers to create a console whose sales were a net PROFIT rather than a net loss, and that meant they could price themselves lower than their competition and still make money. You're bound to succeed with a model like that.

Will it work for the Wii U? I think it will. And I think Nintendo's hiding something up their sleeve here, something they didn't want to show right away. So look for more news to come out when the console is closer to release.

Wii targeted casual gamers by being CHEAP and with no emphasis to HDTV screens. WiiU won't be cheap. If it was going to be cheap they would have announced how cheap it was at their E3 conference, as they did before with every other launch and as every other company did before their hardware launch... when the price is remotely competitive. Nintendo CANNOT except the same casual money with WiiU especially when they can't even sell Wii Consoles to them any more.
That's because pretty much everyone who wants a Wii....already has a Wii. And most people aren't going to buy two of the same console. You're making it sound like the Wii is stalling purely because the hardware is limited, even though that was known years ago when it was bringing in absurd amounts of cash DESPITE that inferiority. The primary reason it's no longer selling is because there's no longer a demand since most of the people who wanted it now have it. That's really all there is to it.

The thing is WiiU doesn't integrate a smartphone touchscreen. iPhone is know for precision multitouch with fingertips and very high pixel density. The WiiU is not that. It's a resistive touchscreen that you need a stylus for precision, and everything points to a low resolution screen. It's not the same. The pinch to zoom and all that which we are used to is no there. You know it would be kinda neat to have an iPad in the middle of my controller but that's NOT the case
Er, you should watch their tech demos more often. A lot of the functionality that the iPad is using is what they copied from. I very definitely recall seeing them use a pinch motion to zoom on the Wii U during tech demos, both last year and this year.

I don't see why anyone should buy a WiiU rather than an Xbox 360 that is likely cheaper, has a bigger library and for casuals a more novel interface with Kinect. Why would you buy a WiiU to play black ops 2, when there is a larger and more established network on PS3, 360 or even on PC.
Because, again, you misunderstand who the console is being sold to.

If you're already dedicated to your 360/PS3, Nintendo doesn't give a shit about you, and they aren't selling this console to you.

And if the WiiU does against all odds launch for $200 (and sources confirm it will definitely be over $250)
Who are these sources exactly?

then Microsoft has the clout to undercut them with discounts and bundles for their Xbox 360. Similar with Sony and PS3.
Interesting perspective, since they obviously didn't have the "clout" to do that back in '06 when their consoles were coughing up money faster than an arterial bleed. But now that they've sold more consoles (only nearly a decade late), they have gained enough "clout" to undercut a brand new console? Well I would hope they could undercut a new console's price with their ten-year-old console, otherwise they need to revamp their business model.

I suppose it depends on what "clout" is, then.

What Wii titles has Nintendo released in 2012? Last year their sole contribution was Skyward Sword. Nintendo seem to have totally given up on the Wii.
Er, that's not true. They released several titles for 2011. First-party exclusives were limited, no lie there, but I imagine that's mostly because they are still trying to push the sales of the 3DS and because they had just announced a new console. Again, Nintendo's business model isn't like Sony, where consoles get ten year shelf lives.

I just don't like how Nintendo is playing silly buggers acting like this is a next generation console which doing nothing to indicate it has next gen rendering capability, and 5 months from release is STILL hiding its launch price!
You're the only one concerned about what "generation" this is.

The price point is fair, though. I'm curious why they're guarding this one. I imagine if it's priced above $300 it's going to be a much tougher sell. At $300 it can be a justified purchase....but I guess we'll see. Either they haven't decided yet, or they're waiting to reveal it because it's too high. >.>
Well CONSUMERS CARE!

They don't like being sold old-generation hardware at Next-generation prices. "don't worry about generation" is a con. If Nintendo want to change more than $200 for the WiiU then it is are going to have to be MUCH more powerful, a whole generation more powerful or else it is a rip-off.

You are missing the point of Playstation 2's continuing sales.

I'm saying Nintendo weren't some geniuses who "beat the 7th gen consoles" they WERE NOT COMPETING WITH THEM! Wii was competing with the Playstation 2, it was still a 6th gen console by it's processing power. And Sony's PS2 also sold REALLY WELL in this time period.

Generation DO matter. Because everyone acting like "Well if the Wii managed to beat the 360 and PS3, then a WiiU can only do better" NO!! Wii was just a gamecube re-launch. It did about as well as the PS2 did in that same time period. Wii did slightly better by exploring the casual audience but PS2 also did well for the more casual gamers while Wii leaned more toward the casual non-gamers.

The WiiU is in NO WAY being sold to casual users any more. Or if it is then it doesn't stand a chance against the likes of Xbox 360 with kinect, Microsoft's well supported media serviced and a DVD player that can actually play movies, also the Playstatio n3 playing Blu-rays and support from its huge SOny Movie Holdings and Sony Music.

Wii appeared for being low cost. It cannot compete with $200 Xbox 360.

"And yet, it will still sell a lot of units."

Where the hell is this circular logic even coming from?

Back in 2006 the Wii was $250 compared to PS3 selling for $499. It had a simple intuitive controller. The WiiU will not have such price advantages. The WiiU will not sell well no-matter-what.

Why would Wii owners buy a $300 WiiU with hardly any new games to play rather than buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 and have HUNDREDS of new games to play!!?!

NOTHING suggest WiiU games will be only $50.

You are wishful thinking with multiple peripherals, that's not realistic. These consoles are not about 4-way splitscreem, it's about online multiplayer and if there is a demand for a second player then they bring their controller.

" Nintendo were the only one of the three previous console makers to create a console whose sales were a net PROFIT"

Nope. The Xbox 360 from 2006 onwards ALSO sold as a profit.

The original Wii was priced lower than PS3 and 360 because IT WAS A WHOLE GENERATION BEHIND! Nintendo cannot manufacture hardware as cheap as Sony or Microsoft. It costs them more to get less.

"That's because pretty much everyone who wants a Wii....already has a Wii."

Then why does this not apply to Xbox 360 and PS3?!?

I have explained that Wii was bringing in cash ONLY in the same way that the Playstation 2 was bringing in cash, but with mor casual appeal. Nothing special.
-Nintendo sold old outdated hardware at a low price with Wii.
-Sony sold old outdated hardware at a low price with the PS2.

"I very definitely recall seeing them use a pinch motion to zoom on the Wii U during tech demos, both last year and this year."

Well I don't. And I'd remember such a thing. It has been very well established that it is a resistive touchscreen that CANNOT handle multi-touch and NEEDS a stylus for precision. ONLY resistive touchscreens work with stylus and they are NOT multitouch. Point stylus do not work with capacitive touchscreens which are capable of multitouch.

"Because, again, you misunderstand who the console is being sold to."

No you seem to have things wrong. The WiiU controller from last E3 to this E3 has been modified to be MUCH more like and Xbox 360 controller, it is launching with Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2. It is confirmed to be much more expensive than the Wii ever sold for and for a price more than either PS3 or 360. THIS IS NOT FOR THE CASUAL MARKET! This is a futile attempt at breaking into the mainstream over half a decade too late.

Source on WiiU's high price:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-shopto-estimate-wii-u-price-at-280

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-wii-u-to-retail-for-no-less-than-300/

£280 = $450

Wii has not made as much money as Xbox 360, they made less money per console

Releasing ABSOLUTE CRAP games for wii like Conduit 2 and awful ports is not good for Wii in 2011 or 2012

You SHOULD be concerned about generations. OK. But if you don't like the word "generation" then about about:

"I just don't like how Nintendo is playing silly buggers acting like this is a a much more powerful console than PS3 and 360 with nothing to indicate it has capability a much more powerful console than PS3 and 360, and 5 months from release is STILL hiding its launch price!"

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Who cares if it's not the strongest thing to grace consoles ever? I didn't see people complain about the Gameboy, and I still don't. The difference now is that our standards have been raised. People were skeptical about the 3DS and how it was going to be outdated, and yet it's possibly the best console to date, never mind handheld. Just because the Wii U isn't mega powerful doesn't stop it from being good. Art doesn't have to look amazing to be good, so why should consoles have to have amazing power to be good aswell? A great example of this is that I recently played Mario 3:Wario Land for the first time ever on virtual console, and it amazed me how great it was without having to be up to modern standards. It's great having power, but the Wii U doesn't really need masses of power for it's games. It's strong enough to run Mass Effect and a new Ninja Gaiden, so what more do you want? If it runs great games, it's a succesful console. It doesn't have to be powerful or have to look good doing so.

[Also]: Lol, people acting like it's about consumerism.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:
Was it enough to cover the billions of loss they incurred due to RROD?
How much precisely DID they lose from RROD as what proportion were repaired or cannibalised for parts? And how much did they make from Gold Membership and a huge attach rate and content deals?

Remember, Microsoft made 50% more per game than Wii in the licencing per game.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
With project glass, for the xbox 360 being announced I don't expect Nintendo to break any new ground.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:
How much precisely DID they lose from RROD as what proportion were repaired or cannibalised for parts? And how much did they make from Gold Membership and a huge attach rate and content deals?

From memory they lost $4 billion.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9026340/Xbox_360_red_ring_of_death_costs_Microsoft_more_than_1B

By mid 07 it cost them just over $1 billion it's hard to find newer data.

Jasper came in late 2008 which pretty much fixes RROD from what I have heard. I'd estimate it to be at least around $2 billion.
Nope, you can't conclude $4 billion loss from a $1 billion loss on the launch consoles. A $1 billion over 2 years suggest the overwhelming majority were not affected.

You have to realise, compare this loss to 3.2 billion games sold for their system taking about $12 in licence per console that's $38 billion in revenue just from games. And even more from 1st party games, licence deal, streaming deals, advertising on dashboard and Gold Membership fee.

Jasper was a major cost saver but the problem of RROD was solved before that.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Syzygy23 said:
Really? It did? Where? Is it buried somewhere under the mountain of shitty shovelware party games?
Are you kidding? What is this, 2006? The PS3 and 360 have just as much shovelware, if not more. Stop being ignorant.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Treblaine said:
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9026340/Xbox_360_red_ring_of_death_costs_Microsoft_more_than_1B

Jasper came in late 2008 which pretty much fixes RROD from what I have heard. I'd estimate it to be at least around $2 billion.
Nope, you can't conclude $4 billion loss from a $1 billion loss on the launch consoles. A $1 billion over 2 years suggest the overwhelming majority were not affected.

You have to realise, compare this loss to 3.2 billion games sold for their system taking about $12 in licence per console that's $38 billion in revenue just from games. And even more from 1st party games, licence deal, streaming deals, advertising on dashboard and Gold Membership fee.

Revenue that would have come in regardless doesn't cancel out losses due to hardware problems that were preventable. The only revenue that counts towards balancing the losses would be the new consoles bought by people who got the RROD.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
wintercoat said:
Treblaine said:
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:
Matthew94 said:
Treblaine said:

Revenue that would have come in regardless doesn't cancel out losses due to hardware problems that were preventable. The only revenue that counts towards balancing the losses would be the new consoles bought by people who got the RROD.
I'm not saying the RROD issue didn't cause Microsoft to lose some money. I'm just saying Microsoft didn't make a huge loss overall from the RROD issue that seems to only have affected 16% of the very first generation of consoles as Matthew pointed out.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
I don't care if it's an exact replicate of the commodore 64 covered in dried shit. I just want to play the next Zelda.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
DigitalAtlas said:
Wii had some of the best games this gen.
Ha...ha...haha ...hahaha....AHAHAHAHHAAAAaaaaa.....oh man I just found that so funny....

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
CODE-D said:
DigitalAtlas said:
Wii had some of the best games this gen.
Ha...ha...haha ...hahaha....AHAHAHAHHAAAAaaaaa.....oh man I just found that so funny....
Ya know what, instead of listing quality games, how about this: There wasn't a problem of brown, brown, and more brown on the Wii ever! And you're just ignorant for thinking shovelware. It proves you closed your mind off to the console when you saw the controller and didn't keep track of any releases that would make it worth it. Well done.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Matthew94 said:
I'd say it was a decent one. In the end it is the bottom line that matters and when you take that into account the xbox and the 360 have been massive failures as has the PS3. This is why this generation has been dragged out, to try and minimise the billions of losses both companies have incurred.
Except that's not true and kinda entering tinfoil hat territory.